Start by marking “Martin Luther King and The Montgomery Story” as Want to Read:
Martin Luther King and The Montgomery Story

Martin Luther King and The Montgomery Story

4.45  ·  Rating details ·  115 Ratings  ·  23 Reviews
Nearly sixty years after its creation, a little-known landmark of comic book history returns! This 16-page comic is a simple but revolutionary account of the 1955 Montgomery Bus Boycott, in which Rosa Parks, Dr. King, and 50,000 others used the power of nonviolence to battle segregation on city buses -- and win.

First published in December 1957 by the Fellowship of Reconcil
ebook, First ever fully-authorized digital edition, 16 pages
Published 2013 by Top Shelf Productions (first published 1958)

To ask other readers questions about Martin Luther King and The Montgomery Story, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Martin Luther King and The Montgomery Story

Diz
This was a comic that was produced shortly after the Montgomery bus boycott. It introduces nonviolence as a method of action for achieving civil rights. It does a really good job of introducing the basic concepts of nonviolent resistance. I would recommend this for anyone who is studying the civil rights movement or peace studies in general, especially if they are studying these subjects for the first time.
Cathy
Powerful. When you think about what they were trying to do and the impact it had, it's really something. Congressman Lewis says that he had a copy, someone gave it to him because be couldn't afford the 10¢, and a year later he met Dr. King and we all know what came of that journey together. Now all of these years later Congressman Lewis has authored his own graphic novel, the first of three to complete this new story; who knows how many other adults and children they might influence. To me it is ...more
Brent
I read this many years ago, and wish I still had my copy! Thank you, Fellowship of Reconciliation.
We need more of this kind of instructional comic, and we're about to have it, from our own Congressman, the Honorable Representative John Lewis (D), of the 5th Congressional District, which includes Atlanta.
Quoting, from Publisher's Weekly article, "A Comic Book for Social Justice: John Lewis
By Grace Bello" |
Jul 19, 2012 [link below]:
The congressman for Georgia’s fifth district, civil rights pionee
Raymond
Mar 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good comic book and a piece of history that was published during the Civil Rights Movements. It also served as the precursor/inspiration to John Lewis' "March" graphic novel series March Book One (March, #1) by John Lewis March Book Two (March, #2) by John Lewis March Book Three (March, #3) by John Lewis.

I liked that the Montgomery Bus boycott was told from the point of view of a everyday person who would have participated or saw the boycott in person. I especially liked the ending where the nonviolent philosophy is deconstructed for reader and it shows how you can actually live it out.
Loretta
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Read because it was referenced in March: Book One. It's a bit of a relic of its time, but I still couldn't help but be pulled in by its message and the effective way it wove its story together.
Leslie Ann
Feb 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
An excellent primer on the principles of nonviolent resistance. I especially like how the step-by-step guide at the end emphasizes the need to see each other as human. This principle seems to be lost in the current political climate.
Gina
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pretty well done taken on its own, but wonderful knowing the people it inspired.
Iman Jomaa
Aug 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Really great! It confirms that teachings of all religions are targetting the same goal.
Christianity says, love your enemy, for God loves him as he is God's child just like you.
Ghandi fought British occupation through praying and fasting.
and finally Islam says وَلَا تَسْتَوِي الْحَسَنَةُ وَلَا السَّيِّئَةُ ۚ ادْفَعْ بِالَّتِي هِيَ أَحْسَنُ فَإِذَا الَّذِي بَيْنَكَ وَبَيْنَهُ عَدَاوَةٌ كَأَنَّهُ وَلِيٌّ حَمِيمٌ
Nicole
I was curious about this after it was mentioned in March: Book One.

It feels a little hokey and cheesy now (the way all old comics do), but it's informative and interesting as a historical relic.
Ken Randall
Oct 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Applies just as much today as then...

This is a classic, historic graphic novelette from a dark time in our nation’s history that is worth reading for that reason alone. I think you will also find the message is just as relevant today with the continued struggle for equality in this county and in many countries around the world.

For these two reasons, it should be required reading in every school. And who knows when we each might need to apply this non-violent protest to a just cause in our own f
Elizabeth
Feb 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sixteen powerful pages that elegantly articulate non-violent Christian social change. History, biography, first-person narrative, and an instructional manual rolled into one fascinating comic. I can’t wait to see what my students make of it!
Betty
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Parents who want something different to show their kids.
Title: Martin Luther King and the Montgomery Story. See the whole comic online by clicking the link!
Author: Fellowship of Reconciliation (Resnick and Hassler)
Genre: Graphic novel, zine!, social justice
Setting: Mostly the US, a little bit in India
Reason for Reading: Although this does not qualify for the 50 book challenge, since it was written by white men, I found it in a list of graphic novels for African American History month. This comic book, essentially an early radical zine, was helpful t
Emily
I bought this comic after seeing it mentioned in the March series. Apparently this comic inspired John Lewis to write March.

The copy that I ordered is a reprint from 2014, but it's really interesting to think that it was originally published right in the middle of the Civil Rights movement. The comic book was apparently approved and endorsed by Dr. King, and the back of the comic even has a primer on how to use the "Montgomery Method" or Non-violent protests.

This is a great tool for a classroom
Orion
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Created by Alfred Hassler and Benton Resnik this short 16 pager comic book was first published in December 1957 by the Fellowship of Reconciliation. Illustrating the Nonviolent Method using the case of the Montgomery Buss Boycott, the comic very simple and elegantly tells how nonviolent action works.
I read Stanford University's digitized copy which is available at: http://mlk-kpp01.stanford.edu/index.p...
Ryan
Jan 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is the comic book that inspired Congressman John Lewis to write his own amazing series of graphic novels called March. It is still very relevant. I learned things I didn't know about the Montgomery Bus Boycott. I learned more about other histories of struggles for civil rights. These struggles continue today. In my neighborhood and communities. And this book has some tools in it I know some people will find very helpful.

I'm glad I read this before getting too far into the March books. I'm l
Dan
This comic was distributed during the Civil Rights Movement and was mentioned in the newly published graphic novel March Book One by John Lewis and illustrator Nate Powell. An inspiring piece of history that quickly shares the ideals of nonviolent struggles. The original 16 page comic will be republished in May, 2014.
Earl
Oct 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was thrilled to find a copy of this comic online after hearing about it as being an inspiration to tell John Lewis’s graphic novel memoir trilogy March. I loved that it makes what they’re doing- and why- accessible to readers especially to a young audience.
Bayneeta
Mar 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! Amazed and pleased that this little piece of history was available to me through my public library. Describes the Montgomery bus boycott, describes Ghandi's nonviolent methods in India, and ends with a primer for those interested in nonviolent protest methods.
Charles E Forkey Jr
A hidden gem

I had no idea this book existed. It's needed now just as it was in 1957. What an inspiration that gives us tools in 2017 to combat ruthless conservative regression and hate. Love is the way.
Robin
Shelves: non-fiction
5 stars because of what it did for peacefull protests. A very special book
Kristin
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it
A great primary text and example of how African Americans used the comic book format to teach civil disobedience and civic participation.
Gillian Eshleman
Jan 27, 2015
Paul
Feb 07, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Dreams of Africa in Alabama: The Slave Ship Clotilda and the Story of the Last Africans Brought to America
  • Simeon's Story: An Eyewitness Account of the Kidnapping of Emmett Till
  • The Long Shadow of Little Rock: A Memoir
  • American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama
  • March: Book Two (March, #2)
  • Prepared for a Purpose: The Inspiring True Story of How One Woman Saved an Atlanta School Under Siege
  • Double Victory: How African American Women Broke Race and Gender Barriers to Help Win World War II
  • Eye on the Struggle: Ethel Payne, the First Lady of the Black Press
  • The Rejected Stone: Al Sharpton and the Path to American Leadership
  • Who Owns the Ice House?: Eight Life-Lessons From an Unlikely Entrepreneur
  • Blackberry Days of Summer
  • An Angry-Ass Black Woman
  • Inherently Unequal: The Betrayal of Equal Rights by the Supreme Court, 1865-1903
  • The Governor's Sons