Start by marking “The Toynbee Convector” as Want to Read:

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  1,757 Ratings  ·  84 Reviews
Bradbury displays anew the unclassifiable versatility of his imagination in this new collection of twenty stories, the first in eight years. This fall, USA Cable television will rebroadcast six episodes of the HBO Ray Bradbury Theatre series.
Hardcover, second printing, 275 pages
Published July 1988 by New York: Knopf (first published June 23rd 1988)

To ask other readers questions about The Toynbee Convector, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Toynbee Convector

Sawsan
Apr 28, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
مجموعة قصصية تضم مزيج لطيف ومتنوع من قصص الخيال والرعب والفانتازيا
Simona Bartolotta
Mettiamola così, ragazzo: la vita è uno spettacolo di magia, o lo sarebbe se la gente non dormisse in piedi.

Una delle cose più difficili è dare un voto ad una raccolta di racconti. Perché è ovvio che ci saranno quelli che amerai e quelli che invece proprio no, non fanno per te. Naturalmente ci sono le eccezioni, non è così raro trovare libri di racconti tutti magnifici o tutti orrendi, ma per me in questo caso è stato un po' difficile decidere per quelle tre stelline.
Tre stelline combattute, sì.
Soad
Oct 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed reading another Bradbury, sometimes I feel that Bradbury is the Hemingway of science fiction.
R.
Jul 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017
A Few Rays of Sunshine

A disappointing collection. So disappointing that I did the math: out of twenty-three stories in this 1988 collection (trumpeted as his first collection of short stories since 1980's career-defining Stories of Ray Bradbury) I rated only five worth my time and attention as fan of Martians, mummies and the macabre.

So, approximately 22 percent of the stories here are decent vintage, good stuffs.
These five stories are (listed in order of appearance): "On the Orient, North", "
Book Concierge
This collection of short stories was originally published in 1988. At the time I heard an interview with Bradbury – probably on NPR – and one story in particular was mentioned. A tender love story titled The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair. I was surprised, knowing, and loving, Bradbury as a science fiction writer. I shouldn’t have been; Bradbury’s writing has always tapped into emotions, and love and regret are two that we all come across in our lives. I’d forgotten the name of the collection, but ...more
George K.
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Διάβασα το διήγημα "Το μεγάλο ταξίδι στον χρόνο", που κυκλοφόρησε σε έκδοση με σκληρό εξώφυλλο και εικονογράφηση της Anita Kunz, στα ελληνικά από τις εκδόσεις Επιλογή και στα αγγλικά από τις εκδόσεις Turner. Πολύ όμορφο και απίστευτα καλογραμμένο διήγημα, όπως θα περίμενε κανείς από κάτι που έγραψε ο μοναδικός Ρέι Μπράντμπερι. Το διήγημα το απόλαυσα όχι χάρη στην πλοκή του, που ήταν ιδιαίτερα απλή, αλλά χάρη στα μηνύματα που ήθελε να περάσει και την απίθανη γραφή του. Διαβάστε το οπωσδήποτε!
Y
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I paid $1 for a signed copy of this book. I'm still in shock.

In terms of the stories themselves, as a dedicated Bradbury fan, my official statement on this one is that it's not a great intro to his work-- for that, I'd honestly recommend The Illustrated Man, which seems much more well-rounded in terms of scifi/fantasy/realistic content and overall seemed much higher quality.

On the other hand, if you're just looking for new stories... The Toynbee Convector has a lot of stories I've seen in othe
James Cobb
Mar 25, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quirky little riff on The Iceman Cometh. This edition was nicely illustrated.
מונטסרת
a great mixture of Sci-Fi, Suspense, Mystery and Fiction by Ray Bradbury, forever the king of short stories.
John
TL;DR: Bradbury is a classic American author, but this collection is a hodgepodge of sketches and dead ends. In spite of this overall appraisal, there are a few gems in the collection.

I like Ray Bradbury. In other places I have praised his work, calling it (rightly, I still believe) some of the best writing out there. He captures the essential American experience of many young boys; his typewriter shows what it was like to be on a sunny, summer afternoon or to stand, mouth agape, as rockets bla
John Defrog
Apr 15, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Because Bradbury was mainly a short-story writer, the majority of his books are collections – some are more famous than others (The Illustrated Man, I Sing the Body Electric! & Other Stories and The October Country come to mind). This is one of his less-famous collections from the late 80s, although the title track – about a famous time traveler who reveals how he did it to a reporter – is somewhat well-known. Perhaps it’s because Bradbury covers his usual beat – SF, ghost stories, horror, n ...more
Michael Montgomery
The Toynbee Convector: No one understands the title of this book before reading it. But hey, that's okay, because after reading the first story you'll understand completely. The first story, like countless others in the fine collection, are great. However, this was the strangest book I read by Bradbury so far. Most of the stories here take place in ordinary places, but in some cases, not so much. What bothers me is that nearly all the stories involve some love affair or other adult matter. It do ...more
Frahorus
Questo raccolta di racconti di fantascienza di Ray Bradbury ne contiene 22. Eccoli:
1) Il Convettore di Toynbee;
15) Mi benedica, padre, perché h
Robert Russin
Sep 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2017
The word “beautiful” has become a weak and meaningless word, neutered from overuse and an association with writing that is overly workshopped into being flowery and inconsequential. But I stand by it when talking about Ray Bradbury -- even when writing about serial killers and monsters and murders, the man never wrote an ugly sentence. The Toynbee Convector is a mid-career Bradbury collection that is a bit more uneven than some of his classics but nevertheless drips with beauty all throughout i ...more
Thule
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Ogni volta che commento una raccolta di racconti scrivo seeeempre le stesse cose... esordisco dicendo di non essere una grande amante delle raccolte di racconti, che preferisco i romanzi (e più lunghi sono meglio è...) e bla bla bla... ma che nonostante tutto questa raccolta di racconti non mi è dispiaciuta.. bla bla bla... e via discorrendo..
Ecco, appunto. La solita premessa si intende integralmente riportata e trascritta anche in questo caso.
Detto questo, veniamo al libello in sè.
Apprezzato? S
Peter
Mar 09, 2018 marked it as abandoned  ·  review of another edition
Going in, I didn't have high hopes. I suspected that my distaste for Bradbury's critically acclaimed 'Fahrenheit 451' boded ill for this collection of short stories (some of his lesser known works).

Sure enough, I'm not going to be able to finish this one. I read the first two short stories, and then halfway through the third one, I thought "OK, maybe I'll just jump to the fourth" but then I ended up doing that same strategy for the next three subsequent short stories. Bradbury just isn't for me.
David Allen
The Toynbee Convector is a terrible title, which is fitting. Of the 23 stories in this late-period collection, only five (Trapdoor, The Love Affair, A Touch of Petulance, West of October and At Midnight, in the Month of June) have the old snap. Most of the rest are sad, aimless or eye-rollers. Unpleasantly, several semi-autobiographical stories are about an adulterer, and nine (I started keeping track, it was such a thing) involve a grown man weeping. As a fan, I say: Do not start here.
Pupi
Sep 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
En general no me atraen las historias de fantasmas, pero sí me gusta cuando se hace referencia a formas poco comunes de buscar la felicidad. El protagonista prefiere historias macabras y generar pánico en los demás para estar bien, y que encuentre a alguien más que lo ayude y que se identifique con él es un buen giro.
Christa Mrgan
Dec 30, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recall enjoying this collection, though it's been ages since I read it. I remember the eponymous story, though, as a lovely statement on the power of suggestion/self-fulfiling prophecy as a force for good, with a nice Oz-ian reveal at the end.
Robert Everhart
Mar 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An offering of short stories including the title work, TTC. Bradbury never disappoints. Come and Bring Constance, Tombstone, Trapdoor are a few of my faves. I am amazed at Ray's ability to write across genre, but always maintain his voice.
Stephanie Switzer
Dec 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
(3.5) Like all short story collections, some are marvelous and other don’t quite hit the mark. This is true even for Ray Bradbury.
Gail Gibbs
Nov 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
Not quite as good as The Martian Chronicles, but a solid collection.
Robert Walrod
Highlights: title story, "On the Orient, North," "The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair," "Banshee," "At Midnight, in the Month of June," "The Thing at the Top of the Stairs."
Zack
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
I was disappointed with this collection of Bradbury stories. He's one of my favorites but only a few of the stories from this collection really stuck out to me.

Rated (_/5)

* Toynbee Convector (4/5)
* Trapdoor (2/5)
* On the Orient, North (2/5)
* One night in Your Life (4/5)
* West of October (3/5)
* Last Circus (3/5)
* Laurel and Hardy Love Affair (5/5)
* I Suppose You Are Wondering Why We Are Here? (2/5)
* Lafayette, Farewell (2/5)
* Banshee (1/5)
* Promises, Promises (3/5)
* Love Affa
Mark Oppenlander
Sep 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This was an entertaining book for me to read, as it contained only one or two stories that I had previously read. A whole new volume of Bradbury stories to explore! I was able to enjoy this with a freshness that is inherently missing from re-reading many of Bradbury's other books, most of which I first touched when I was young.

Having said that, many of the stories in this book still felt familiar. These stories were mostly written in the 1980's and Bradbury was well into his career at this point
Richard Knight
The Toynbee Convector is highly misleading in both title and cover. Ray Bradbury, who has written both exceptional novels (Fahrenheit 451, Something Wicked This Way Comes) and short story collections (The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man) swung and missed with this book of bite-sized tales, and mainly because it feels so disjointed and aimless.

The stories in this collection are all over the place, and only one of them ("The Toynbee Convector") could even come close to being considered sc
Marissa
Feb 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: short-stories
My only exposure to Bradbury up to this point was The Martian Chronicles, which was probably the first sci-fi I ever read. My love for that collection led me to pick up The Toynbee Convector. I was surprised to discover it was mostly not science fiction, but rather a mish-mash of straight fiction, SF, horror, supernatural, and even humor.

Bradbury has a talent for getting in and out as quickly as possible. His stories are economical and deliver a helluva wallop. He has his blind spots -- there's
Karolína
Nic moc, většina povídek mě moc nebavila, protože jsem se často ztrácela v Bradburyho fantazii a přirovnáních.
Bavilo mě "přijďte a vezměte s sebou Constance" kupodivu, protože zatím cokoli s touto postavou bylo utrpení. A taky "Nefalšovaná podomácku vyrobená opravdová egyptská mumie plukovníka Stonesteela" i když nějaký génius přeložil Green Town jako Zelené město, ale dobře.
"Ta věc nahoře na schodech" zase dětství vs. dospělost, a parádní napětí a trochu Lovecraft konec.
Vlastně když o tom teď t
Tony
THE TOYNBEE CONVECTOR. (1988). Ray Bradbury. ***.
This is a collection of twenty-three short stories by Bradbury. There is no underlying theme, just a collection. The stories range from ‘Oh my gosh’ horror stories to time travel to space travel. There are a few of them that are very good. There are a few that are just good. The rest of them are mostly pedestrian efforts to flesh out small ideas that have been worked before. It is difficult to flesh out both plots and character together in short s
John
Dec 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Yet another excellent collection of Bradbury's short fiction which reveals his strengths unabated well into his fourth decade as a professional writer. A number of these stories were apparently unique to this collection at the time. They run the gamut from the supernatural ("On the Orient North") to the mundane ("The Laurel and Hardy Love Affair"), from the earnest ("One Night in Your Life") to the comical ("The Thing at the Top of the Stairs"), even managing to encompass love and hatred in a si ...more
  • Shadow Show: All-New Stories in Celebration of Ray Bradbury
  • Fun with Your New Head
  • Destiny Doll
  • Ribofunk
  • Case and the Dreamer and Other Stories
American novelist, short story writer, essayist, playwright, screenwriter and poet, was born August 22, 1920 in Waukegan, Illinois. He graduated from a Los Angeles high school in 1938. Although his formal education ended there, he became a "student of life," selling newspapers on L.A. street corners from 1938 to 1942, spending his nights in the public library and his days at the typewriter. He bec ...more
More about Ray Bradbury

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Off to Be the Wizard (Magic 2.0, #1)
  • Beneath the Shine
  • The Stepford Wives
    $9.74 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Long Earth (The Long Earth, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
  • The Man of Legends
  • All the Breaking Waves
  • Fellside
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Muirwood: The Lost Abbey: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $0.99
  • 2061: Odyssey Three (Space Odyssey, #3)
  • Alas, Babylon
    $9.74 $1.99
  • 3001: The Final Odyssey (Space Odyssey, #4)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Zeroes
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dreams and Shadows (Dreams & Shadows, #1)
    $9.49 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Touch
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • An Unwelcome Quest
  • EARTHCORE
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Luna: New Moon
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • The Void of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Dirty Magic (Prospero's War, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • A Plague of Giants (Seven Kennings, #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Red Knight Falling (Harmony Black, #2)
  • Star Wars: Thrawn
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Zoo City
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Unmasked (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Afterlife
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Unseen (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Dwarves (The Dwarves, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Unbroken Line of the Moon (Sagan om Valhalla #4; Valhalla #1)
  • Blackfish City
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Supernatural: Bobby Singer's Guide to Hunting
    $8.49 $1.99
  • Silvern (Gilded #2)
  • Some Fine Day
  • Random Acts of Senseless Violence
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West (Wicked Years, #1)
  • Mystic (Mystic, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Almost Girl (The Riven Chronicles, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Spell or High Water (Magic 2.0, #2)
  • Uprooted
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Wormhole (The Rho Agenda, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Dragons of Nova (Loom Saga, #2)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Ciphers of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Amid Stars and Darkness (The Xenith Trilogy #1)
  • The Last Adventure of Constance Verity
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Traveler (Fourth Realm, #1)
  • Ancestor
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Thief's Daughter (Kingfountain, #2)
    $5.99 $1.99
“No," said a voice, "the only thing wrong on a night like that is that there is a world and you must come back to it.” 11 likes
“And just holding her hand would be good. Can you understand that? Do you know that holding someone's hand can be `the' thing? Such a thing that your hands move while not moving. You can remember a thing like that, rather than any other thing about a night, all your life. Just holding hands can mean more, I believe it. When everything is repeated, and over, and familiar, it's the first things rather than the last that count.” 3 likes