Start by marking “Hunter The Strange and Savage Life of Hunter S. Thompson” as Want to Read:
Hunter The Strange and Savage Life of Hunter S. Thompson

Hunter The Strange and Savage Life of Hunter S. Thompson

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  1,249 Ratings  ·  21 Reviews
A biography of the journalist who was the inspiration for Doonesbury's Uncle Duke features material culled from interviews with family, friends, ex-lovers, and such figures as Tom McGuane, George McGovern, Gay Talese, and others. 60,000 first printing. $50,000 ad/promo. Tour.
Hardcover
Published February 1st 1993 by Dutton Adult (first published January 1st 1993)

Be the first to ask a question about Hunter The Strange and Savage Life of Hunter S. Thompson

Jack Snow
Carroll proved, once again, that people shouldn't try to copy Hunter Thompson's writing style. This book is put together a little oddly for a biography. The good portion of this book, in my opinion, is the interviews done with people who knew Thompson throughout his life. There are many humours tales told by those who were witness to the events and a few touching memories told by those who loved him. Unfortunately, every other chapter of the book is a ridiculous attempt by the author to tell a b ...more
DJMikeG
Mar 17, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Skip the faux "Gonzo" parts by E Jean Carroll and read the oral history of Hunter Thompson. This is actually a better book than the more recent "Gonzo" book put together by Jann Wenner.
Jerome
May 20, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Gonzo! The facts & fiction collide in this "biography"/story about Hunter S. Thompson...I've read everything Gonzo/HST & HST related that I can get my hands on & I love nearly all of it...can't get enough...fun! Where were you when the fun stopped?
When Hunter took his own life,I was just down the mountain from him in Colorado Springs & had been soaking up everything I could read of his, including the,then current & fairly regular espn pg.2 articles...
As I should have,in t
Jim
Feb 18, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: biography, craziness
This just might be the book that sends me back to watching reruns of the Three Stooges during my spare time. I'll admit that I wasn't particularly interested in Hunter S. Thompson. But hey, there was a neat photo of a man with a gun on the cover so I took the plunge.

Now I had never heard of the author, E. Jean Carroll, before ....and with any luck I never will again! What she has done here is gather a bunch of anecdotal information, apparently from interviews, some of which were possibly conduct
Rob Charpentier
May 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography, favorites
I've read a few other biographies about Hunter S. Thompson but this one is by far my favorite for a number of reasons. Foremost, is the fact that the author actually doesn't attempt to write about the man herself but rather has compiled interviews and recollections of those that knew him best to do all of the talking.

I prefer this approach over the other books because the sheer mythology of the man and his famously depraved antics tend to overshadow the actual man himself. This was a fact that
Dan
Aug 03, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Hunter S Thompson fans
This book is entertaining, and it is an OK homage to the work of Hunter S Thompson.

This is a biography of Hunter S Thompson written in the Gonzo style. It has some interesting biographical information about Hunter. However, the Gonzo parts of the book are sorely lacking, they show just how short imitation can fall of the real thing and subject of the book. The book is structured with alternating chapters of biographical information and Gonzo interludes. It brings to mind the structure of Grapes
Stephini
Feb 24, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
twisted...sick...intriguing... I'd like to find time one day to research the authentication of the pretenses that it was written under. Former Miss USA pageant contestant/winner(don't recall, but realize all I need to do is google her name =P ) comes to HST's estate to see his peacocks (literally) and is "kidnapped" and forced to stay in a dirty cesspool in raunchy outfit until the completion of the biography. Includes primary accounts from family, friends, and business associates of HST. Plus a ...more
David Healey
Jan 27, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the way Hunter wrote and always wanted to emulate that. No one can though. That said, I thought this was a very entertaining book in that it was written by someone who was obviously a fan of his and the back and forth playfulness between the two was clear. In that sense it gives the reader a good indication of what it might have been like to hangout with one of the most entertaining personalities of the time, which is all any of us would have wanted to do: drink, smoke and shoot guns wit ...more
Tom
Apr 20, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Probably one of the most strenuous and draining things I've ever read. The wackiness loses it's charm very fast and becomes almost irritating. Got to give credit though as the book reveals he was one of the most successful frauds in literary history and hardly contributed to any of his major works as he had major assistance from several friends who he blew off at his peak of fame, which also doesn't bear coincidence to how after Leaving Las Vegas he started becoming a flop. The pictures added sl ...more
Aubrey
Thompson is a crazy character, and the book weaves together a plausible seduction story with direct quotes from friends and family members. I have trouble with him a bit, because I enjoy his craziness, but only because I would never want it in my life in any real way at all. He was a druggie and a drunkard, and it ultimately ruined his life, but he was a brilliant writer, and I learned a LOT about his life and his interactions in politics and the like. Pretty good book.
Gary J Paddick
The biographical sections were well done and interesting, but like other reviews I recommend skipping the fictional sections. While they were a break between time periods of consisting solely of quotes, I found they through off the vibe of the story and the evolution of the character of HST.

I would give it a 3.5 stars if possible.
David Scott
Jun 19, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was excited to find this book in the $2 bin at the book store, but disappointed when I realized I paid $1.95 too much for it. The author weaves facts about Thompson with a fictional fantasy of her own imagining. If you are a serious fan of HST, steer clear of this lampoon.
Lysergius
Aug 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: biography
Fabulous. Not sure if it was totally serious but good fun.
Chris Meger
Jun 09, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This could very well be the best biography I have ever read. I just had no idea the retelling of someone's life story could be so... ugh... perverse.
Andy
Sep 10, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is as close as you can get to reading a HST biography in a style similar to his most frantic, drug-fueled work.

EXCELLENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jake
Sep 16, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I enjoyed this book quite a bit. It was relentless in its pursuit of the man himself and did a good job. Sometimes filling in gaps with technique is more useful than fact.
Carla
Jul 11, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love everything Thompson, so of course I took the plunge with this book! It was fascinating and wild, but Carroll could've done more with the amazing material that she did have.
Heather
Meh.
Brian O'neill
for fans only - not a whole lot going on here
Therese Wiese
Well, not clear how much was fiction, how much was non-fiction....
Jetska Kahanek
May 22, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
It was OK but nothing I didn't already know about him. I only bought the book for the rare pictures inside.
Erinduncan
  • Outlaw Journalist
  • The Joke's Over: Ralph Steadman on Hunter S. Thompson
  • Gonzo
  • Fear and Loathing: The Strange and Terrible Saga of Hunter S. Thompson
  • When The Going Gets Weird: The Twisted Life And Times Of Hunter S. Thompson:  A Very Unauthorized Biography
  • Gonzo: The Life of Hunter S. Thompson
  • Literary Outlaw: The Life and Times of William S. Burroughs
  • The Boys on the Bus
  • Gonzo
“Get Off Your Ritalin and Adderall. The whole point of life is to enjoy your Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.” 0 likes