Start by marking “True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself” as Want to Read:
True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself

True You: A Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself

3.71  ·  Rating details ·  864 Ratings  ·  127 Reviews
ONE OF THE GREATEST ENTERTAINERS OF OUR TIME CANDIDLY REVEALS HER VERY PERSONAL STRUGGLE WITH AN ISSUE SO MANY OF US FACE EVERY DAY: SELF-ESTEEM

Janet Jackson emerged from the shadows of an already famous family to become one of the most beloved, recognizable, and influential performers in the world. But at what cost?

From the age of ten, when she made her acting debut on
Published February 15th 2011 by Gallery Books/Karen Hunter Publishing (first published January 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about True You, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about True You

Adrienne Thompson
First of all, to clear up the confusion, no, this is not a steamy, scandalous tell-all memoir. But I knew that from the moment Janet Jackson announced she was working on this book. It is a self-help book in which she shares some details of her struggle with self-esteem and her yo-yoing weight. It is a glimpse inside her life that she shares in hopes of helping others who battle the same issues. The content resonated with me causing me to take many notes and highlight and underline some key point ...more
Chezon
Oh, my beloved Janet. I have never been more eager to return a book to the library. Not because I want to share the joy of reading with the next participant, but mainly because I can rid myself of the bedside-book guilt of not enjoying your literary attempt. Now, mind you, I understand you are a private person. And shy, to boot. But, I was under the impression that when I picked up a book about your life, that I would actually read about YOUR life. I pity the fool who believes this. I've learned ...more
Michael
Mar 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: best-memoirs
Janet Jackson is one of the most talented artist in our decade. I was never a huge fan of her music until recently,her songs of empowerment and courage has stood out in her iconic songs. Based on a few interviews of her, I never noticed that she battled self image and esteem. Janet is beautiful in every to me, not only is she gorgeous on the outside, but she is also beautiful in the inside. Knowing that she struggled with her weight was a shock to me. Reason being is that I never saw her as fat, ...more
Desiree
Jun 06, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
First of all, I would like to point out to everyone who reads this that this is not a memoir or an in-depth, detailed overview of her darkest days, facing herself. It is, in fact, a lighter version of her battling those voices most of us have within ourselves, telling us that we'll never be or look good enough to appease both the world and ourselves. Janet mentions several times throughout the beginning of the book that this is about finding the True You, learning to be self-confident and find t ...more
Sherese
May 31, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Awful - don't even bother.
I always loved me some Janet historically minus all the albums after 2001's "All for You". I wanted to be her for several years as a child - Good Times (reruns people I'm not that old), Different Strokes, Fame to Control, Rhythm Nation, Janet, Velvet Rope, All for You. I was hoping this book provide actual insight to her struggles with weight and body image which I feel I could always relate to even if my weight fluctates have never been as extreme as Janet's up and dow
Sarah Q.
Apr 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, in fact I don't understand why so many people expected it to be an autobiography or deeply personal memoir. Janet herself said not only in the book several times, but also in every promotional appearance she made on tv that it was about her life long journey to finding her true self and hoped that it would help you, her fans & those who read the book, find your true you.

I liked that there were several pages of recipes at the end of the book as well as the chapter from her
Monique
Apr 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of Ms. Janet
Ok....This was a pretty good book...I've been a fan of Miss Jackson since her "Control" album came out when I was 11 yrs. old...So I was so thrilled when I saw that she was putting out an autobiography...She always amazes me how she is so humble and shy in person, but, when she hits the stage and gets a mic in her hand she becomes this fearless femme fatale....Same with her acting chops as well...This woman's just so blessed with so many talents...I enjoyed getting an inside look into how she be ...more
Shanae
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This memoir is so boring. I feel like Janet could have gone more in depth with issues of body image. She talks a lot about her battle with health and body image, but she never really explains WHY she had these issues, she says she internalized her brothers' teasing, but why? I found the memoir very unfulfilling because I see memoirs as the reality TV of literature. This did not cut it. Janet should have (and hopefully will one day in the future) write a weight loss book, even one reads like a no ...more
Diane
Feb 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I was truly disappointed by this book. I mean, I love Janet and all, but I'm not really looking for self-help advice from her. There were a lot of anecdotes, but I don't feel like they were as fully developed as they could have been. Also, only about half of the book is Janet giving advice. The other half happens to be her nutritionist and a list of recipes. Again, appreciate it, but not looking for self-help advice from Janet...
Vanessa (V.C.)
As an avid Janet fan, I got joy out of reading this book because it was written from the point of view of Janet herself. You can almost feel her sensitivity, her pain, her insecurity, and her strength while reading each chapter in which she explains her journey about accepting her body and her true self, and how her journey can help others in finding the "true you." It's not a memoir or an autobiography; it reads more like a journal, meaning that there are parts that are extremely brave, persona ...more
RYCJ
Oct 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-keepers
I deeply respected the way Janet explains growing up, particularly her relationship with her mother and father, and ‘Mike.’ The letters of affirmation coming from fans were heartwarming, and particularly empowering. It says a lot when your music affects individuals in the way these letters affirm. Control and Rhythm Nation were two of my favorite albums as well. The music speaks volumes to the underlying premise of her memoir. It as well seemed that Janet grew up sheltered, which she sort of did ...more
Jackie
Jul 23, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot of memoirs. That being said, this book was not a memoir. It's more of a revelation of self loathing and wanting to be thin... so that "others" can accept you (self esteem issues). Janet was so open and brave for the first half of the book. We got a side of vulnerability that I am sure was difficult to share.

Janet's book is actually a "DIET" BOOK IN DISGUISE. It was *this close* to being a knockout. There is an afterword from her nutritionist who talks about getting her in shape and
Lindsay Wood
I enjoyed what little information she provided about her childhood and those stories but overall this book is very gimmicky. "the True You" like she's selling something and doesn't think anyone reading is smart enough to see through it. It's very surface and doesn't seem very sincere. Love Janet but not this book!
Joseph
May 21, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
absolute drivel.

you can tell that janet is a shell of a person from this book. in fact, it's not even really a book. it's more like stringing along quotes from fans of hers and then giving props to her trainer and cook by putting his recipes in the back of it.

i wanted to read about her caffeine enemas!

maybe one day she'll grow up. wait she's a jackson. she never will.
Sontue
May 31, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Someone suggested this book to me. Horrible! It seemed to drift and go off of the topic. She told stories about people I didn't care about. If you write a memoir, people are interested in YOUR life, what you've been thru, and how you survived. Janet glossed over many topics and it seemed like a kid was talking. Half of the book is the nutritional stuff from her trainer or whatever he is. Beautiful pictures though!
Monique
Wanted more Janet and less others. The main story of the book was her weight issues, briefly discusses relationships with J DeBarge, Dupree, her dad & Michael. The book gives one false hope for in-depth story since 70 pages of recipes, nearly 25 pages of photos, 15 pages from her nutritionist and almost 20 pages of letters or stories from friends and/or fans. The message is clear, always be true to you.
Krysten Hager
Apr 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent book to give to a teen dealing with body image issues.
Elesha
Mar 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autobiography
I Liked this book for many reasons and disliked it also. The reason I liked this book is because Janet was brave enough to really say what was going on behind the scenes when everyone thought she was happy and okay with everything. A lot of people can't straight up say hey this is what went on. Another thing was I could relate to what she went through, as a person whose always questioning her body image because of constantly being ridiculed by family and other people, I found this book empowerin ...more
Zarinah
If your Janet fan, have had weight issues, and or family drama reading this quick book may make you feel one with Janet. I read other reviews and those whom gave honest opinions all agreed it was a great introduction but that as in depth as it goes. I would of liked to have read more on certain areas where ms jackson brushed over topics or points in her life. But as admirer I want to say I'm glad she wrote this starter book because people can relate and agree. In hearing her struggles and fans a ...more
Mia
Jun 06, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Yikes! The only good thing I can say about this book is that it is over quickly.
I was very disappointed. I did not expect this to be a memoir but I did expect it to give me some insight into the real Janet Jackson - the woman who struggles with weight, self esteem, body image, all the things that make her who she is.
Too many stories that meant nothing when I would have liked to find out how she had the discipline to run 5 miles(in the sand)every day & how she managed to do that & weigh
Jenny Plohr
Jul 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not your typical rock and roll biography. Although you get a snapshot of what was going on in Janet's life acting, performing and making music, the real story was her personal struggle with eating, body image and acceptance. I found this book to be inspiring and empowering. It was an amazing journey to find the true you and your core person, emotionally, physically and spiritually. A great read.
Daniel
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This isn't as personal as you might want, but it gives a good amount of background on Janet Jackson's family life and her struggles with self confidence. She sticks to her tradition of keeping her private life private, but it's done in a way that makes you want to hear more about her career, her experiences with discrimination, etc. It reads very quickly and has a very positive inspirational tone to it. Overall an enjoyable effort from a legendary entertainer.
Cheryl
Feb 21, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young readers
This book is geared for the younger audience. In my opinion its pretty vague and therefore is a high level overview of any type of life issues or insecurities everyone goes through, not much meat. I did enjoy the recipes at the end :) I do think for a young pre-teen or teenage girl this book could be great to let them see that they aren't alone, other people feel as insecure and confused - even famous and successful women.
Carly
Oct 20, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: memoir, non-fiction
If Janet Jackson wrote an honest autobiography about her actual life experiences, it would probably be one of the most interesting, salacious memoirs on the market. Instead, her writing was bland and tell-nothing. I'm not looking for all of the details, but a little honesty of emotion would make this book much more palatable.
Rachel Willis
Apr 03, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone!!!
Shelves: own, kindle, hibernating
I love Janet Jackson. Absolutely adore her. She is so incredibly talented, intelligent, and beautiful. She is undeniably the most talented artist ever. Ever. Not of the century, generation, etc. Ever. I've just started the book but am so excited to read it. Bought through the Kindle app on my iPod.
CHAVELLE BARNETT
This book was nothing like I expected

An American icon, this book was not what I had expected. Its not about her life. I thought her book would be about her life growing up as Jackson. But unfortunate it was about her weight and her eating habit.
Cydney
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Janet was real and kept things positive. She seemed down to earth, protective of the things and people that she loves, and seems eager to reach out and help those in need via the advice she gives, and by imparting the lessons she's learned.
Jeanette
Apr 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
An OK read, but not what I expected. David Ritz as a co-author really made me want to read this because I've enjoyed the other biographies that he's written. However; this one left a lot to be desired. Not much new/unknown information and half the book was recipes.
Rushay Booysen
Okay i would have given this book 2,5 stars had some good points but overall it lacked alot of direction.The sudden closing also surprised me.It would also be wrong of me to totally disregard what she shared and how it impacts tons of people out there.
Sandra
Oct 17, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disjointed and often rambling account of Janet Jackson's journey from low self-esteem to becoming her true self. While I was not looking for sensationalism, I expected more about her journey and more revelation in how she overcame her low self-esteem.
  • You are Not Alone: Michael: Through a Brother's Eyes
  • Freedom Is a Two Edged Sword
  • Conversations with Kennedy
  • Foxy: My Life in Three Acts
  • Michael Jackson: The Magic, The Madness, The Whole Story, 1958-2009
  • The Bigger the Better, the Tighter the Sweater: 21 Funny Women on Beauty, Body Image, and Other Hazards of Being Female
  • Man in the Music: The Creative Life and Work of Michael Jackson
Janet Damita Jo Jackson (born May 16, 1966 in Gary, Indiana, United States), the youngest of the Jackson family, is a Grammy award-winning, and Golden Globe and Academy Award-nominated American singer, songwriter, record producer, dancer, and actress.
More about Janet Jackson...

“To cut off the confusion and accept an answer just because it's too scary not to have an answer is a good way to get the wrong answer.” 26 likes
“To be given permission to be confused -- and remain confused -- for as long as it takes would have been a huge gift.” 18 likes