Start by marking “The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1)

The Dead Cat Bounce

(Home Repair Is Homicide #1)

dead cat bounce n. Stock market jargon for a small, temporary rise in a stock's trading price after a sharp drop.

Since she bought her rambling old fixer-upper of a house, Jacobia Tiptree has gotten used to finding things broken. But her latest problem isn't so easily repaired. Along with the rotting floor joists and sagging support beams, there's the little matter of the d
Mass Market Paperback, 320 pages
Published September 1st 1998 by Bantam (first published 1997)

Start your review of The Dead Cat Bounce (Home Repair is Homicide, #1)
Julie
"It's pretty good. But," she said, "the author uses this device all the time."

"What," he asked, "device do you mean?"

"The device," she replied, "of splitting dialogue around stage directions."

"Oh, that," he remarked, "is so annoying."

"Yes, it," she answered, "is."

On reread:

"Wow, I," she said, "still notice that device."

"I got tired of you reading examples," he replied, "to me."

"But I didn't read even," she said, "the worst ones. Out of," she added, "love for you."

"I thank," he said, "you for t
Ed
Nov 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I liked the rich descriptions of the rural Maine setting. The author does a terrific job with fleshing (no pun intended) out the cast of characters. The MC's restoration of the old house is interesting. All and all, an entertaining read. ...more
Scartowner
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: maine-writer
"I think," this reader says, "that breaking up sentences," she notes especially in dialogue,"is extremely irksome and distracting." "Could this be," she muses, "an editorial issue?" "Although this is a wonderfully fun," she exclaims, "and enjoyable and nicely written tale," she continues, "is it really necessary to use employ this style," this writer moans, "on every single page?"

Despite this aspect, I intend to read every single Sarah Graves novels.

Howard
4 Stars for Dead Cat Bounce: Home Repair is Homicide Mystery Series, Book 1 (audiobook) by Sarah Graves read by Lindsay Ellison. This was an interesting story. I thought there was going to be more home repair but what there was was good. The mystery played out well and the narration was good too.
Diane ~Firefly~
Feb 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, kids
I started off giving it 3 stars but as the could have been better section kept growing and the enjoyed didn't, I had to go back to 2 stars.

What I enjoyed:
* The town has an interesting personality, as does its residents.
* Sam, wow could there be a more perfect son?

What could have been better:
* The killer was obvious, I don't know why Jacobia and the town had such a difficult time figuring it out. (view spoiler)
Cherie
Jan 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: series
I really liked this who done it/ home repair mystery. I loved the humor and the way out there east coast setting. The characters were definitely "characters", even the terrible little girl that was always underfoot.
This one will definitely go on my continue-to-read-series list.
Jo
Feb 27, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, cozy-mystery
Not bad, just okay. I liked that the setting is a small town in Maine (I have a soft spot for Maine and any small harbor town) but for the most part, I found this mystery to be kind of boring. Since the main character, Jacobia, used to be a financial advisor, there is quite a bit of financial mumbo jumbo throughout the book that was very uninteresting to have to read through. Overall, it started off extremely slow but it did get better and more exciting towards the end so I'll check out another ...more
Aaron Pogue
Nov 06, 2010 rated it it was ok
The setting is vivid, the characters are strongly portrayed, and the story of murder is fascinating. Unfortunately, Graves refuses to tell the story. She constantly interrupts the narrative, and that makes it a chore to ferret out the scattered bits of real story along the way.
Spuddie
Nov 02, 2009 rated it really liked it
Note that this review refers to the audio version, which I couldn't find listed anywhere!

#1 Home Repair is Homicide mystery featuring Jacobia "Jake" Tiptree in Eastport, Maine. Jacobia is a former financial adviser who lived in New York and had some pretty high-flying clients--including some unsavory 'connected' folks. A year ago, she decided to abandon the rat race and bought a 200-year-old house in Eastport, Maine and moved in with her teenage son Sam. Since then, her life has been one big ins
Micah
May 17, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Without merit

This will probably be my last "cozy mystery," so I will indulge myself with a lengthy diatribe on the topic.

I grew up with Agatha Christie and Lilian Jackson Braun, so I thought the cozy mystery genre would be a great fit. Unfortunately, this book, and similar series that I've tried, uses a lazy "write by numbers" formula that leads to material that is not just unremarkable, but substandard. In the books written to fit this niche, the heroine is a mature woman who is still attractiv
Lee
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm hoping to start some remodel work on my house this fall. With that in mind I picked up this book, it's qualifications being - it's a mystery and although it's fiction it deals with home repair (the first in the Home Repair is Homicide series) and it was sitting on my library's bookshelf. So I was pleasantly surprised to find out that it's a pretty good book. A 'cozy' set in Eastport Maine. I looked it up and the town is real. Apparently NPR did an interview with some of the locals back in 20 ...more
☼♎ Carmen the Bootyshaker Temptress ☼♎
Whoa

Not sure Jaocbia was expecting all this when she moved to get a fresh start from the New York fast lane but also what went on with her husband. This was a good start for series. It gave me a bit of information of everyone of the neighbors and Jacobia was well. I can't wait to see how this will progress throughout this neighborhood. I can see many secrets coming out and it being a small town I'm sure it'll be juicy.
Richard
Dec 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
This covers an area I don’t know about: Down East Maine. Interesting twisted plot with lots of suspects. Ms. Graves creates a great sense of place.
Cheryl
Jul 06, 2020 rated it liked it
Great setting in Maine with quirky characters. Completely improbable plot of blackmail,adopted baby, the mob, a Melania type wife, and on and on. Not much home improvement either and I thought it was the series hook.
Carmen
“Oh, I knew you’d sort it out, Jacobia,” Ellie replied. “Once you knew about the past, the present would be obvious.”
Melissa Morley
Sep 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: who-dunnit-s
I like this author for light mystery tales. She adds home do it yourself projects and financial planning to her suspense. Her characters are not predictable in nature, and relationships in this series have some interesting elements. I like her descriptive word pictures, as well as her sense of humor. I listen to these on audio.
Pam Marcola Duff
Dec 07, 2017 rated it did not like it
Totally boring book. I read it because I have a need to find out what happened but you can read this book in 30 min. Read the first chapter then the last chapter and guess what you did not miss much. This book took me forever to read
Natalie
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: mystery, cozy
I realize that the first entry in a cozy mystery series isn't always showcasing the author's best work, but Dead Cat Bounce seems a little iffy at best. It follows the stereotype: a woman in the middle of her life fresh from divorce moves to a secluded little town where everyone knows everyone, and takes up a challenge- a business or otherwise, and finds herself solving murder mysteries. For such a worldly woman- being on her own since the age of 16 and scraping enough money together to go to co ...more
Cheryl
Aug 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
Jacobia bought an old fixer-uuper of a hourse and when she has a water leak she finds a man dead in the basement along with the rotting floor joinsts. It turns out to be a local man who became a billionaire. Jacobia's best friend confesses to the murder and Jacobia knows she didn't do it. Jacobia knows she didn't do it and figures out there is a coverup. She begins investingating past history and puts herself in danger. There isnt as much home repair as I thought there would be. The conflict bet ...more
Caryn Zdan
Feb 25, 2019 rated it liked it
I’m not really sure what to say about this book. It was a little hard to get into at first but then it got better. Her way of telling the book was a little off. It mostly was in present tense but then would switch to talking about the past so it was weird. I will probably listen to the next one to see if i can get into it more.
Falina
Jan 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was lovely brain fluff-- easy, no issues with writing/characters/plot to annoy me, light and feel-good and satisfying. I could definitely read and enjoy more books in this series.
Penny
Dec 29, 2019 rated it really liked it
good Maine cozy.
Michelle Lovato
Mar 06, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Cozy cats bounce about in this Sarah Graves home repair novel series

Posted on March 6, 2021 by michellelovatosbookreviews, world's first book color commentator, book reviews with a twist

Dead Cat Bounce is an odd name for a cozy mystery, but this book by Sarah Graves is odd.
I loved it.
This first book of Grave’s 16-book Home Repair is Homicide series is set in an east-coast Maine fishing village and features Jacobia Tiptree, a sort-of shady, but not really shady retired money manager to the super-
Brian
Oct 10, 2022 rated it liked it
So, before people get grossed out by the title, it is a financial term. When a stock tanks, goes back up and immediately tanks again, it is known as a dead cat bounce. The failed stock is the dead cat and the quick recovery before final flatline is the bounce.

The book, set in down east Maine, is cute. Some of the characters and situations pull me out of the story. The main character has amazing home repair skills for a former personal financial advisor. I don’t just mean fix the occasional home
Deedee
Mar 26, 2021 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic series

I can’t believe I just discovered this author! This is an excellent mystery with an engaging and likable main character, a quirky town (which I know well) and lots more installments - what’s not to like!
Margaret Hasemann
Jun 08, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Restoration Blues

Complicated storyline , but definitely interesting.

Seems like I read something along this line before, but in a much simpler version. Looking forward to seeing if it follows the same kind d of plot lines as the one I recall.
Elaine Cook
Feb 24, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2020
Got this in a library sale. I thought I'd read it but was unable to find a record so read it again.
Print, took months of reading on and off.
TheGood ByeGirl
Jan 24, 2021 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: readathon-2021
I really enjoyed this, great characters and I was kept guessing for quite a while as to who done it.
Sfdreams
Sep 05, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: reviewed
This is the first book in Sarah Graves Repair is Homicide mystery series. I first read it many years ago (1998?), along with the next two or three, then lost track of the series. I love this series! I made a concerted effort recently to read my way through once again and get caught up to date.

This first book is perhaps the weakest of the series, but Ms. Graves is only getting better and better. The protagonist is Jacobia Tiptree (Jake to her friends),a high powered stockbrocker who moves to Eas
Susan
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I read and enjoyed this book back in 2016, but never continued on with the series for some reason. Since I want to get back to it but I couldn't remember any of the characters, I decided to go for a re-read. Luckily, my memory is terrible so it was *almost* like reading a book I'd never read before. Ha! One of the benefits of getting old...

At any rate, I enjoyed the book the second time around just as much as I did the first. The setting is atmospheric and cozy. Jacobia is an appealing heroine.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
Goodreads Librari...: Combine editions 4 17 Mar 12, 2020 08:42AM

• Leave No Scone Unturned (Chef-to-Go Mystery, #2)
  • Be Our Ghost (Merry Ghost Inn Mysteries, #3)
  • Tart of Darkness (Chef-to-Go Mystery, #1)
  • Doom with a View (Merry Ghost Inn. #2)
  • A Most Curious Murder (Little Library Mystery #1)
  • Peg and Rose Solve a Murder (Senior Sleuths #1)
  • Buried in the Stacks (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #3)
  • Buttercream Bump Off (Cupcake Bakery Mystery, #2)
  • Read and Gone (The Haunted Library Mysteries, #2)
  • Muzzled (Kate Turner, DVM #1)
  • Murder on the Poet's Walk (Book Retreat Mysteries #8)
  • Cat Got Your Diamonds (Kitty Couture Mystery #1)
  • Body on the Bayou (Cajun Country Mystery, #2)
  • Ghost at Work (Bailey Ruth, #1)
  • Edited Out (Mysterious Detective #2)
  • Death on Demand (Death on Demand, #1)
  • She Stopped for Death (Little Library Mystery #2)
  • Dead and Breakfast (Merry Ghost Inn, #1)
See top shelves…
Sarah Graves lives with her husband John, a musician and luthier, and their black Labrador Retriever in a house very much like the one Jacobia Tiptree is remodeling in Eastport, Maine. When she's not writing Jake's adventures, Sarah works with her husband on the house and she plays the 5-string banjo.

Home Repair Is Homicide (1 - 10 of 16 books)
  • Triple Witch (Home Repair is Homicide, #2)
  • Wicked Fix (Home Repair is Homicide, #3)
  • Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)
  • Wreck the Halls (Home Repair is Homicide, #5)
  • Unhinged (Home Repair is Homicide, #6)
  • Mallets Aforethought (Home Repair is Homicide, #7)
  • Tool and Die (Home Repair is Homicide, #8)
  • Nail Biter (Home Repair is Homicide, #9)
  • Trap Door (Home Repair is Homicide, #10)
  • The Book of Old Houses (Home Repair is Homicide, #11)

News & Interviews

“I do not think money is the root of all evil, but I know it makes an effective fertilizer.” 4 likes
“For some things, a decent downeast silence was the only good response, at least in the immediate aftermath.” 0 likes