Start by marking “Bookclub-In-A-Box Discusses Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese” as Want to Read:
Bookclub-In-A-Box Discusses Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese

Bookclub-In-A-Box Discusses Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese

4.25  ·  Rating details ·  167 Ratings  ·  33 Reviews
Cutting For Stone is very simply one of the best books ever written and read. The narrative begins in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, when twin boys, Shiva and Marion, are born to a nun (who dies) and a surgeon (who runs away). The babies, conjoined at the head, are successfully separated immediately after birth. Despite their ominous beginning, they are raised by two Indian doctor ...more
Published February 3rd 2011 by Bookclub in a Box (first published December 1st 2010)

Be the first to ask a question about Bookclub-In-A-Box Discusses Cutting for Stone, by Abraham Verghese

Katherine
Aug 27, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite book in several years.
Cynthia Hanna-Tarantino
I thought this was a fantastic book, I could not put it down...I wish it had ended differently. I love the this author's writting style.
Sue
Dec 11, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Although this guide did a fair job of pulling together the themes and threads that run through the novel, it was not at all analytical or critical.
Carol Fink
Dec 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved it! One of the best books I've read. I didn't want it to be finsihed.
Ellen
Aug 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic read that will take you first to Ethiopia and then later to NY where you can take a surgical residency. The book had a lot of nostalgia for me as it was so reminiscent of my own time spent as a surgical resident.

The book is quite well written and carries the reader on with teases all the way through, starting with, the narrator's mother was a nun? Read on! How is this so? And what about his mysterious and driven father. Will we ever meet him again?

I read the book and then lis
Louise
I loved the way Abraham Verghese made this feel like it was an actual event rather than fiction. I was so engrossed in the story and the characters, that I honestly looked at the end of the book for a validation that it was about actual facts! Yes, he totally researches his info, and is an actual Dr., but still this story amazed me. I loved the way this story lived for me. I am anxious to see if either of his other books is as good. After the disappointment of Lief Engers second novel though, I ...more
Mj
Feb 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This saga of orphaned twins is both entertaining and informative. Most of it is set in Africa during a time of political unrest. Because most of the characters are doctors, the reader learns much about the diseases prevalent in the third world. When Marion, one of the twins moves to the U. S to escape arrest, the story begins to tie up the loose ends about the twins parents--an unlikely couple--a nun and a seemingly socially dysfunctional doctor.
Hazel
May 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I recently finished Cutting for Stone, and it's going on my "all-time-favorites book list"! I didn't want it to end. What fascinating characters Abraham Verghese created! They were sooooo realistic that I just know they must be real, and he must have been a twin, and he must have grown up next to a "Ghosh" in real life. What a writer! Loved every minute of it.
Janet
May 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book - it's a little haunting. It reminds me of a cross between the books COMPLICATIONS and ANGELA'S ASHES, yet it has its own voice. Yes, it does have language. Yes, it does have sexual situations. It is sometimes painfully graphic, but it was worth reading and I am glad I did.
Courtney
Oct 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful, thought-provoking. The best book I have read in years. As a physician, I thoroughly enjoyed all of the medicine, but the story is so much more about family and love. I already want to read it again!
Betty Davidge
Jan 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
simply one of my best reads.A neighbor recommend it,a book club read . couldn't quit till I finished.Should the author pen another book it would warrant looking into..
Charles
Jan 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Highly recommended. One of the best stories I've read.
Hazel Hindle
Aug 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant book, couldn't put it down, cannot recommend it enough.
Jackie
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the most compelling stories I've read this year, which was difficult to put down. The well-developed characters grew in wisdom which emerged in unexpected places.
Bethany
Aug 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
i wish I could give this more than 5 stars
Kimberly Melnyk
Aug 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my all time favourite books. A wonderful story of love and sorrow.
Terry
Great book, I read this a few years ago
Kristy
Mar 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
loved the entire story, setting, characters from beginning to end. What a passionate and sometimes disturbing emotional venture.
Layne
Mar 12, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Cutting for Stone is a great book. Very long however you feel as though you know the people when the book is finished. Somewhat melancholy.
Kami
Aug 03, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh. Lots of technical/medical information. Storyline was good. Too detailed for me. I skimmed a lot. Some adult situations and language.
Sandy
Jan 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adult-fiction
Beautifully written. It is one of my favorites
David Freudenburg
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-club
Very perceptively describes issues, themes, metaphors, symbols and meaning in "Cutting for Stone". Provides fodder for me to create discussion questions for the book club. Also good for any book club members who want to go into more depth in the book. This book provides a nice way for me to review the book which I read a year ago. I read this ebook in the Freading collection.
Cassandra
This story was like a bad dream. The fulfilment of a desire/dream of a Superior Nun which cast two younger Nuns into death, one from cholera and eventually one from childbirth. The despair in this story was overwhelming but the storytelling was excellent.
Syahira
Dec 26, 2011 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
for this pioneer year(yeahh..for me who-newly-fall-in-love-of-english-novels-)
and i wanna read dis one!!
Lisa
Am starting at the end of my CA vacation, hope to get hooked then pick back up in CR.
Sharon Iberle
This book was not my favorite - I felt that there were too many story lines and a bit too graphic at times.
Lucy
Feb 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An interesting twist on brotherly competition. Special, new background and geography with a good cultural immersion.
Susan
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastic book!
Margaret Munzer
Oct 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like this but it was long!
Annie
May 27, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Couldn't get into this one so stopped partway through. Life is too short to read books you're not into!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • The Industry of Souls
  • Jean qui grogne et Jean qui rit
  • The House of Sight and Shadow
  • The Siege of Isfahan
  • Waiting for Your Cat to Bark?: Persuading Customers When They Ignore Marketing
  • La Brute
  • Childhood
  • Self-Coaching: The Powerful Program to Beat Anxiety and Depression
  • Clear: A Transparent Novel
  • Teach Yourself To Think
  • The Words to Say It
  • Grace Notes
  • Remembrance of Things Paris: Sixty Years of Writing from Gourmet (Modern Library Food)
  • The Distance Between Us
  • Sherlock Holmes and the Rune Stone Mystery
  • Life Class (Life Class, #1)
  • Ravens in Winter
  • فن البساطة
As an educator, school librarian, writer, book-talk presenter and facilitator, Marilyn loves to read and talk about books. Her enthusiasm for reading and sharing led her to unite her two favorite things: people and pages. In turn, this led to the creation of Bookclub-in-a-Box, the ultimate discussion companion for contemporary works of literary fiction. Marilyn is always looking for a great debate ...more
More about Marilyn Herbert...