Start by marking “Keeping the Moon” as Want to Read:
Keeping the Moon

Keeping the Moon

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  56,854 Ratings  ·  2,583 Reviews
There is an alternate cover edition for this ISBN13 here.

Colie expects the worst when she's sent to spend the summer with her eccentric aunt Mira while her mother, queen of the television infomercial, tours Europe. Always an outcast -- first for being fat and then for being "easy" -- Colie has no friends at home and doesn't expect to find any in Colby, North Carolina.

But
Published May 11th 2004 by Speak (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Keeping the Moon, please sign up.
Aaliyah My personal favorites are; The Truth About Forever, Lock and Key, and What Happened to Goodbye.
Sam_4life:) she has many my favorities are "Along the Ride" and "Just Listen"

Ash
Jan 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I just finished re-reading this book. I first read it a few years back when I was 14 so I've been waiting a while to re-read this book and give it a proper review. I thought that it might be hard for me to get back into since I'd already read it and was worried that I wouldn't like it as much as I did when I was younger. But I found myself just as interested as I was the first time. Laughing at the same parts, anticipating the same things and loving all the characters. Colie is so real and Desse ...more
Aj the Ravenous Reader
“You believed you were beautiful and so did the rest of the world.”

I appreciate Ms.Sarah Dessen’s ability to come up with meaningful stories out of a linear plot which seems true in all her books I’ve read. I don’t believe her books have this gripping power on me as a reader and yet I still keep reading them perhaps because they’re very easy to read.

Keeping the Moon is simply about Colie, a very shy, unconfident girl (despite her mom being a celebrity) who spends her summer with her not so or
emma
not my favorite sarah dessen.

this goes for a good message of, like, self-esteem and all, but MAN does it get into a good deal of fat-shaming and slut-shaming and girl-hate and just really horrendous unjustified nonsensical bullying along the way.

also, every single background character in this book is a goddamn villain out to get at least one of the main characters. and that's just unreal.

i do like the theme of "the only thing it takes to be a beautiful girl is decide you're one" because, um, ext
Whitney Atkinson
Apr 05, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2015
Abby
Jul 29, 2010 rated it liked it
For me, this wasn't as good as other Sarah Dessen books. And before I even begin reading it, I've had high expectations on this one, because I've read that this is Sarah's favorite among the books she'd written. But it doesn't quite keep me interested in it like her other novels did.

I don't really like Colie (the main character & narrator) that much. She's just usually quiet and doesn't stand up for herself, not until the very end. And I kept waiting for something big to happen, like a twist
Pinky
Nov 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
I have great news guys! I am finally done my Sarah Dessen marathon! I know I haven't read Someone Like You, but I wasn't planning on reading that book. I am so happy to move onto other books, I loved doing this marathon but I went through many ups and downs. Sometimes, I wasn't a huge fan of her books but most of the time, I loved her books.

HAPPY DANCE!

Colie is a fifteen year old girl who has been bu
Obsidian
Dec 03, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: tbr-2017
Just read if you want to read all the Dessen books. Otherwise, skip it. The book abruptly ends and there's no real closure to Colie's slightly frayed relationship with her mother. One good thing I will say is that I enjoyed Isabel and Morgan's relationship/friendship.

Colie is sent to stay with her Aunt Mia for the summer. Her famous mother is traveling and Colie is shuffled off for the summer. You may initially get the impression that Colie's mother doesn't care, but she does. We just don't get
Wendy Darling
Not my favorite Dessen, but like all her books that I've read so far, it's compulsively readable and likable, and full of great, quirky characters, honest emotion, and unforgettable settings. I love the way Dessen writes female friendships in particular--they always feel real and nuanced, veering from loving exasperation to crazy joy to impatience to rock-steady love. Just like all the best relationships I've known in real life.
Colie feels like she has been abandoned, and to anyone else, it might actually look that way to, being dropped off to spend the summer with an Aunt she hardly knows. As Colie tries to adjust to her very different Aunt Mira and her strange artistic tenant, Norman, she lands a waitressing job at the local diner and meets Morgan and Isabel, two girls who have gone through high school and survived. Over the course of the summer Colie finds out this might have been just what she needed.

I really liked
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Friendship, confidence, unique, girl-power, change.

This was my first ever Sarah Dessen and I definitely enjoyed it. It was a relatively quick read that I didn't have to focus 100% on - which is a good thing as I was puppy-sitting.

Last Chance was quite empowering. It made me feel good. But it also made me angry. I hate bullies. I can't stand them.

I liked that all of the characters had changed by the end and that you learned so much about them. They were quirky, multi-dimensional and beli
Yoda
Even though I really liked this book and I did put it on my favorite list, I really wish Ive read it when I was 15 (the age of the main character) this is such a positive book about self-esteem and how to get it. Its a positive love yourself book. I just wished it was more fat-positive.
Cara
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Cara by: Ash
My first Dessen read and the one that lead me to her other marvelous novels. I drank the kool-aid once and never turned back.

I need to do a proper review for this one day. It has a good lesson on how other people can help you and that sometimes you are more special than you thought you were. The title fits and is such a cool name.
Alaina Meserole
I feel like it has been a while since I've read my last Sarah Dessen book.. and I have no idea how I feel about that..

Keeping the Moon was pretty good. The MC, Colie, is a 15 year old girl who has been basically bullied all her life. I felt so bad for her because she felt so alone and she didn't really have friends either. At least until she lives with her Aunt Mira for the summer because her mom, who is famous for weight loss advertisements, is touring throughout Europe.

Now if it were up to me
Mandy
May 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Every book I read by Sarah has such a powerful lesson to be learned. And this is no exception. Absolutely wonderful story.
Trinity

I really enjoyed this book. I wasn't sure I was going to like it in the beginning chapter because Colie was a little irritating at first. I then started to grow to like her though. Sarah Dessen seems to do this a lot in her books, I've realized this, that she seems to skim through the days. I think that's why I always would give her books 4 stars instead of 5 because I wanted it to be more descriptive I guess. But I do love her books, they are very beautiful.

- Colie
So as I said, I didn't reall
Natalia
Jun 10, 2018 rated it it was ok
This book was okay and fun, but definitely not my favorite Sarah Dessen book.
The book follows the story of Colie. When she was young she was overweigh and now even though she’s really slim, she still has no body confidence and moreover she has to deal with the bulling in the past and name calling.
First of all the book was really slow. The first 30% were boring and slow and sometimes annoyed me.
However the main reason I didn’t like this book was the main character. She was annoying and I really d
Christina (Confessions of a Book Addict)
Colie Sparks is spending the summer with her aunt while her mom is on a European tour for work. Her aunt lives in the adorable beach town of Colby, North Carolina and Colie expects a boring summer is ahead of her, but just the opposite happens. She is still dealing with a lot of issues regarding her self-esteem; the years of being made fun of for being overweight sort of hang over her head wherever she goes despite the fact that she has lost the weight. While hanging out in Colby, Colie meets Mo ...more
Justin
May 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
Once you’ve read several of Sarah’s books, you really start to get a sense as to what you can expect from all the others. I find time and time again that the overall writing style in Sarah’s books really doesn’t change an a lot from book to book. That isn’t particularly a negative thing, because she is a wonderful writer. Even though she is a wonderful writer, that doesn’t stop certain things from becoming slightly repetitive.

Keeping the Moon while having the writing style I have become accusto
Aoibhínn
I enjoyed this novel. The story revolves around the character of Nicole "Colie" Sparks, a fifteen year old girl. While Colie's mother, a famous fitness guru, is doing a fitness tour in Europe, Colie is sent away to live with her aunt Mira in a small town in North Carolina.

I found myself captivated by the characters in this novel and the relationships they have with each other. Colie's story of finding herself and realising the potential that has been there within her all along, is heart-warming
Talya
Nov 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Keeping the Moon by Sarah Dessen is a realistic fiction, and young adult story about a girl named Colie who has trouble making friends because she has never had any. Being overweight when she was younger didn’t help the situation. A few years later, when Colie got slim, everyone at school still hates her. Her mother, who has also lost weight, is a world famous workout woman who is going on a tour in Europe. Colie leaves her town in North Carolina to stay in Colby for the summer with her aunt Mir ...more
Josheka
More of my reviews @ Reading 24x7

Keeping The Moon was short, sweet and like all other Dessen books, had that "wise" message in the end.

This book was just so normal and plain and..normal. Yet for some reason once I started reading it, I couldn't stop. See, that's always the case when I read any Sarah Dessen books. They're like music which makes you wanna just leave everything else and get into the flow. The messages that's always there in her books are so wonderful and we can always expect to le
Carina
May 03, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Drei Gründe für drei Sterne.
1. Auch wenn sich Sarah Dessen mit Colie dem Klischee des einst dicken Mädchens ohne Freunde, der Außenseiterin ohne Selbst- und Sozialbewusstsein bedient, die erst glücklich werden kann, als sie sich selbst schließlich schön findet, verkörpern Norman, Kiki, Mira, Isabel und Morgan fünf ganz andere, komplett verschiedene Wege glücklich zu werden. Teil halsbrecherisch, teils hochmotiviert, teils weise. Diese Vielfalt hat mir sehr gefallen!!
2. Die Lovestory steht nicht
Anne Osterlund
Nov 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Colie has no faith in herself. Her mother is a star—a fitness queen who exercised her way out of 100 plus pounds, homelessness, and the country. Leaving Colie to experience the summer with her aunt in a nameless town where the only notable eatery is called Last Chance. But Colie knows better than to anticipate a new start for herself. She has moved often enough to expect the inevitable taunts, the derision, and the isolation.

Sure enough, even though she’s no longer Fat-Colie or Hole-in-One-Colie
Jessica (Goldenfurpro)
This and other reviews can be found on The Psychotic Nerd

MY THOUGHTS
I've read almost all of Sarah Dessen's books and, I must say, her books are absolutely brilliant. This isn't my favorite of hers, but this was still a very good book.

This book focuses on Colie. Both Colie and her mom used to be fat, until her mom becomes Kiki Sparks, fitness guru. Now both Colie and her mom are skinny and Kiki Sparks is famous for getting people fit! Kiki has to go on tour, so Colie is left with her electric a
L.E. Fidler
so, on the inside flap (which i assume has a technical name, but i don't know it), it reads: it's like a cinderella tale that could really happen to you. i paraphrase, but the gist is accurate.

let's get this straight, then: my mother could be a weight loss guru (female richard simmons) who pawns me off on my eccentric morbidly obese aunt who loves broken things because nobody's perfect and once i'm there i can get an impromptu summer job at a diner/cafe where i meet two girls 1. who is a beautif
Anto Tilio
Jan 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
Amo los libros de Sarah Dessen.
Ella lidera mi top 3 de autoras favoritas del género porque es una genia. Keeping the moon es su tercer novela publicada pero la séptima que leo y la amé. Creo que es la primera a la que le pongo 5 estrellas.
Colie tiene 15 años y tiene que pasar el verano con su tía Mira porque su mamá es Kiki Sparks, la guru del ejercicio y la pérdida de peso que anda de gira por Europa. Colie y su mamá fueron siempre gorditas y duraban poco en un mismo lugar, estaban siempre de
Caitlyn
Jun 04, 2015 rated it it was ok
This is by no means my favorite novel by Sarah Dessen. I knew what I was getting into when I started it. Sarah Dessen generally follows the same rough pattern with her books, but this one fell short for whatever reason.

Though character depth is not something I associate with Dessen, I think that she achieves the height of it in her longer books (like Lock and Key) than in her shorter novels. I didn't connect much with Colie because there wasn't much there to connect with. The secondary character
Stephanie
Mar 14, 2015 rated it liked it
3/5 stars. It was a good book but not nearly as good as the other books I have read by Sarah Dessen. And it only took me a year to finish lol :p

I did really like Morgan though. Her and Colie's friendship reminded me of one dear friendship I had in my life. I was Colie- Had zero friends and zero self confidence. This girl befriended me when I was a freshman and she was a senior. She was a lot like Morgan fun and looking on the bright side. But, like Morgan had horrible taste in guys. She also ha
Valerie
Jan 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first time I read this book was about 4 years ago so I decided to read it again and I was still just as interested in it as I was then. This is the book that first got me started on reading Sarah Dessen books. Its a good starter too since it isn't as dark as some of her other books.

Colie seems to hold herself back so much in the start of the book. She is also a bit of a push over which isn't what you would expect from a girl with dyed black hair and a lip piercing. However as the book progr
Vienna
Nov 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book! It's a really important story, with a good lesson for (young) girls/teenagers. Because of that I gave it 4.5 stars. An other reason why I gave it 4.5 stars out of 5 is because I'm not going to re-read it (I only give 5 stars to books I can re-read over and over again) but it's really worth to read!
  • The Secret Life of Prince Charming
  • Take Me There
  • Fixing Delilah
  • Stealing Heaven
  • Girl Overboard
  • Girl at Sea
  • Love and Other Four-Letter Words
  • Love and Peaches (Peaches, #3)
  • Perfect Fifths (Jessica Darling, #5)
  • The Year My Sister Got Lucky
  • Love Story
  • Front and Center (Dairy Queen, #3)
  • Peace, Love, and Baby Ducks
  • Pants on Fire
“You should never be surprised when someone treats you with respect, you should expect it.” 3363 likes
“I don't believe in failure, because simply by saying you've failed, you've admitted you attempted. And anyone who attempts is not a failure. Those who truly fail in my eyes are the ones who never try at all. The ones who sit on the couch and whine and moan and wait for the world to change for them.” 1500 likes