Start by marking “Pacific Heights” as Want to Read:
Pacific Heights

Pacific Heights

3.24  ·  Rating details ·  283 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
A San Francisco detective becomes entangled with a private intelligence agency as he investigates what appears to be a traceless form of murder

A couple meets in a seedy hotel room for an illicit affair, the rules of which are simple: no names, no personal details, the specifics of their lives off-limits. It's all very exciting to Lore Cha—the wife of a successful Silicon V
Published July 5th 2011 by Henry Holt and Co. (first published 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pacific Heights, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pacific Heights

librarianh20
Jan 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011-12-lariat
Kay
Mar 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
David Lindsay is now writing under the alias Paul Harper. It took some detective work on my part to find him [duh just go to his website--so you can see why I'm not in the detecting business!]. I was happy he finally wrote another book. And this one was good- not exactly like his past stuff [which was better] but good enough to look forward to another one. I probably would have given it 3 1/2 stars if possible.
Suzanne
Jul 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Suzanne by: MLB Newsletter
Shelves: mysteries
I thought this plot was diabolically clever! And creepy to think it could happen. I really liked Marten Fane and his team - wish this was going to be a series.
Virginia Markhart
Feb 27, 2017 rated it liked it
First time reading this author. This was an easy book to read. Interesting. Perverted. Complicated.
Good.
Claudio Valverde
Empezó muy bien y terminó bastante flojo. Prometía más de lo que al final mostró. Se va diluyendo en la medida que avanza la trama. Una lástima
Alla
Feb 07, 2012 rated it liked it
"Pacific heights" starts out on an interesting idea: A mysterious guy called Ryan Kroll has intimate and psychologially manipulative relationships with two women--both Lore Cha and Elise Currin are wealthy wives who rarely see their millionaire husbands, and both use the same therapist, Vera List.

Before long, Vera contacts former intelligence officer Marten Fane, and confides that she thinks both of her clients are in a relationship with the same man--a stranger who goes by different names, and
Les Gehman
Jun 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Pacific Heights: A Novel by Paul Harper a.k.a. David Lindsey is a wonderful psychological thriller. When a psychotherapist discovers that two of her patients are having affairs with the same man, and that man seems to be uncannily able to see into their innermost secrets, she looks to Martin Fane for help. Fane, a retired SID detective, soon uncovers a connection to deeply buried intelligence secrets. It results in a race against time as Fane rushes to head off the master manipulator.

Pacific Hei
Denise
Jun 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
What a great summer thrill ride -- and a fantastic debut for a new series featuring retired SID detective Marten Kane. Two wives of well-known San Francisco entrepreneurs are seeing a psychotherapist -- they don't know each other, but one man, Ryan Kroll, knows both of them -- very well. In fact, he knows their most intimate secrets, fantasies, hidden horrors and insecurities. AND he intends to use that knowledge against them in the most personal way possible. He seeks them out, contrives to mee ...more
ReadandRated
Nov 04, 2014 rated it liked it
3.5 stars from me

Ahhh this book has so much promise but for some reason it just didn't quite hit the mark for me.

The storyline itself was good, clever and enjoyable and I was intrigued as to where it was heading and why - but - at various places it just gets a bit muddled. I found the beginning quarter of the book to be a little confusing and almost gave up on it at that point, however I am glad I persevered as the middle of the book is really good, really interesting and I found myself quite en
Alistair
Dec 29, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: thriller
This thriller has a pretty scary premise; two women seeing the same therapist are coincidentally having an affair with the same man. Or is it a coincidence? At first he seems like a really nice guy, understanding and empathic with these women as if he'd known them forever. But as the relationships continue, the therapist begins to twig to the fact that her clients are seeing the same man, and what at first seemed like empathy turns into something more sinister, as though he can read their minds. ...more
Florencia Short
Hago una reseña porque tengo que aclarar que no lo terminé de leer y el por qué, aunque planeo terminarlo en algún momento. Hasta un poco antes de la mitad la historia es atrapante, así como los personajes, y te mantiene leyendo la necesidad de saber por qué el "perturbado" hace las cosas "creepy" que hace. Pero al llegar a la mitad del libro, que es donde mas o menos se descubre la intención del antagonista, pierde el interés, y te hace decir "eso es todo? ese es su objetivo?" Igual me queda la ...more
Viccy
Sep 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Marten Fane is a fixer. He used to work for the SFPD, but got canned after a scandal. Now he works for himself, using a crew of trained operatives. Marten is hired by Vera List, a psychologist, who deduces two of her patients are having an affair with the same man who appears to be intent on driving them both insane. As Marten investigates, he uncovers ties to black ops sites overseas and a CIA-trained psychologist who seems intent on developing psy-ops to a fatal level. If you like fast-paced a ...more
Louise Mullins
I don't 'do' spy or intelligence based thrillers, but Paul (AKA David Lindsey) has changed that.

This book has everything a thriller needs: unreliable characters, a predator who wants to harm vulnerable women, a cop turned intelligence operative, strong characters, a pacy plot and something new and original to keep my mind on the narrative. I really enjoyed this novel and look forward to reading more from this author.

My only criticism is that the ending fell a little short. I felt the violence wa
Vanessa Curbelo
Aug 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
El libro engancha desde un principio. Es de lectura ligera,pero mantiene el suspenso y es entretenido Me gustó mucho que además de ser un thriller psicológico tratara el tema de espionaje. En mi caso personal, la manipulación de la mente de otras personas siempre es un tema de lo más atrayente,por eso me mantuvo motivada para saber en qué (con quién)trabajaba a Ryan Kroll. Todos los personajes fueron bien descritos,y eran todos igual de interesantes,ya que cada uno contaba con una historia oscur ...more
Nancy McFarlane
Jan 18, 2012 rated it liked it
A tightly plotted psychological thrill ride to find a masterful manipulator.

Paul Harper (aka David Lindsey) takes us on a summer thrill ride with this tightly plotted psychological hunt for the perpetrator of what could be a traceless form of murder. We are introduced to retired detective Martin Fane who now runs a very secretive and anonymous agency where he fixes problems if he deems them worthy of his crew’s efforts. Martin Fane is the ultimate ‘fix –it” man. I can’t wait to see what new prob
Jo
Two women seeing the same psychoanalyst turn out to be having an affair with the same man; a man who can seemingly read their minds and knows their darkest desires. The psychoanalyst calls in for specialist help when she realises that someone must be hacking her patient files. What follows is a race to find the mysterious man before he comes to his end game. The characters were lacking in depth and I doubt the plot would hold up to intense scrutiny but it was still okay enough to keep turning th ...more
Dan
Jun 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
In a nutshell Ryan Kroll seduces not one but two wives of affluent San Francisco businessmen. Unknown to one another, these women see the same psychotherapist. The doctor realizes that this man is seeing both and playing with their heads and contacts Martin Fane, a retired detective. What unravels next is a psychological cat and mouse game. This is another fast-paced book that had me intrigued especially since I wanted to know why Ryan was doing what he was doing. I was a little let down at the ...more
Larry Hostetler
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
First time reading this author. It was tagged as a mystery but I would consider it more a suspense/thriller.

Set in San Francisco, I enjoyed the references to the city and it added considerably to my enjoyment of the book.

I do not find enjoyment in suspense novels, however, so will refrain from passing judgement on the story itself. But the characters were well-developed, the plot good, and the pace quick.

So four stars; it might be worth more to someone who enjoys suspense novels. Don't let my
Lucci07
Tenía ganas de leer este libro,a mi me ha gustado se lee rápido y te entretiene, no se hace ni largo, ni pesado ni lento. Lo único el final que parece que todo sucede de una manera muy atropellada, me hubiera gustado saber más cosas y que no todo hubiera sido tan fácil. Pero en general un libro para pasar un rato entretenido.
Elalma
Jun 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
L?aspetto del libro trae in inganno: il titolo della traduzione italiana, la copertina, l?accenno di trama: tutto fa supporre qualcos?altro, ovvero una qualche vicenda ad alta tensione erotica. E invece � un buon thriller psicologico, che si merita una migliore copertina e magari il titolo originale.
Florence Primrose
Jun 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a psychological thriller. Marten Fane is contacted by a psychoanalyst who thinks two of her clients are being threatened by the same man as he preys on their hidden fears known only by the psychoanalyst. This story really makes the reader wonder to what length the government may be going to manipulate people.
Ginny
Aug 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Two women who go to the same therapist begin to express their discomfort about the man they're having an affair with. The therapist begins to suspect they're talking about the same man and fears for the safety of her clients. She elicits the help of Marten Fane, a retired detective, to investigate. I enjoyed the book and the characters.
Jane
Jan 24, 2015 rated it liked it
Psychotherapist Vera List comes to realize that two of her patients, Elise and Lore, are having affairs with the same man. Fear for her patients and her own reputation grows as she comes to the conclusion that this man is somehow accessing her private files. She contacts ex-intelligence officer, Marten Fane who soon discovers the plot is far more sinister than they first imagined.
Terri
Mar 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book, I almost stopped reading it because I read all the reviews on Amazon.com. And even on here, but I realized I have my own books that I like. I thought it was suspenseful and engaging. I love the main character Marten Fane and am really looking forward to more of his books!
Joaquim Alvarado
Oct 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Entretingut thriller psicològic, amb una dinàmica més cinematogràfica que no pas literària. Trama interessant, l'autor aconsegueix mantenir l'intriga durant molts moments del llibre, lectura agradable. En tot cas, novel·la per a passar l'estona, i amb alguns errors de traducció a la versió catalana.
Doneen
Aug 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Decent suspense story, interesting premise--a therapist treating 2 unrelated women being victimized by a psycho. Some of the spy jargon was a little hard to decipher and bogged down the story for me.
Lisa Ludicrous
Aug 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book was great! The first thing I did when I finished it was to see if it was part of a series of if he had more books. I was so disappointed there weren't more, but hopefully this is the beginning of a new series.
Nina
Feb 14, 2014 rated it liked it
Kept my interest, quick read. I am going to try some of titles written by David Lindsey - Paul Harper is his pseudonym. Always like to find a new author to enjoy - new to me not to the rest of the world.
Elizabeth
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was ok
The author had an intriguing idea for a story. However, instead of weaving the plot into the novel, he waited until the epilogue, where he revealed everything in the context of a contrived telephone call. Cheap trick.
Cathy
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I'm charmed that David Lindsey is finally back -- Paul Harper is pseudonym. Enjoyed this book and very much looking forward to the next book in what I hope will be a satisfyingly long and engaging series.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
rating of "Pacific Heights" 2 4 Jan 25, 2012 09:44AM
  • The Territory (Josie Gray Mysteries #1)
  • The Rachel Scott Adventures
  • The Last Clinic (Darla Cavannah Mysteries, #1)
  • The Bad Always Die Twice (Nikki Harper Mysteries #1)
  • Bolero
  • High Treason (Johnathan Grave, #5)
  • The Honey Guide (Mollel, #1)
  • The Blue Light Project
  • The Face of the Assassin
  • The Killing Song
  • Three Shirt Deal (Shane Scully, #7)
  • Macno
  • Chains of Darkness: A Detective Jon Stanton Novel
  • La banalità del bene. Storia di Giorgio Perlasca
  • Serial (Frank Quinn, #6)
  • Almeno il cappello
  • Crash and Burn (Moreno & Hart Mysteries, #1)
  • Il sangue dei vinti
“A veces las respuestas llegan cuando menos te las esperas, y a veces la
mejor manera de disipar la oscuridad es simplemente ser paciente y esperar la luz.”
3 likes