Start by marking “Badass: The Birth of a Legend: Spine-Crushing Tales of the Most Merciless Gods, Monsters, Heroes, Villains, and Mythical Creatures Ever Envisioned” as Want to Read:

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  490 Ratings  ·  59 Reviews
Ben Thompson—author of Badass, creator of the epic website badassoftheweek.com, and the Internet’s foremost expert on badassitude—is back to enthrall lovers of skull-smashing, bone-crushing bad behavior with his latest compendium, Badass: The Birth of a Legend. Like its macho predecessor, Badass: The Birth of a Legend celebrates fearless berserkers of every stripe, male a ...more
Published March 15th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published February 25th 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Badass, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Badass

Amanda
Feb 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blog
Behold! Herein is contained a collection of history and pop culture's most notorious badasses. These guys and gals kick ass, take names, never give a crap, and spend their days punching humanity in the nutsack just because they can. They believe that, if you're looking for sympathy, it's in the dictionary between shit and syphilis. There's no challenge they won't accept, no life they will spare, no vengeance they won't seek, no maiden they won't fondle! Why? They all suffer from the totally swee ...more
Brian Steele
How does one even begin to write a review on this book? I won this epic volume of insanity thanks to a Goodreads giveaway - they know me so well! Legend has it that author Ben Thompson writes some type of Badass blog concerning all things "Badass." I don't doubt this.

The preview version of the book that I received was separated into four basic sections; Gods, Heroes, Villains, and Monsters. The author proceeds to spin the tales of these supremely awesome individuals and entities in a manner that
CJ - It's only a Paper Moon
Funny, irreverent and spot on. With a book that mentions everyone from Zeus and Samson to Captain Kirk and Darth Vader, you can't really go wrong. There were really only two or three peeps I'd never heard of (and it's always funnier if you have) but still pop-culturally insightful as well as some pretty darn good research on the myths and legends.

Recommended for those that like a little bit of history/pop culture with a side of irreverence.
Regina Hunter
Aug 03, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lol Red Dwarf of Detroit - EPIC!
Robert Risher
May 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I came across this book by accident, but got sucked in when I checked the table of contents and saw a chapter on Diomedes, who is unquestionably the greatest badass of the Trojan War, despite the reputation Achilles somehow maintains. By the time I worked my way through the sections of Captain Kirk and Skeletor, I was forcing out that painful, silent laughter and making quite a spectacle of myself in the bookstore. While I would have a difficult time ranking this book amongst some of the all-tim ...more
Danny
This was my read-during-lunch book for a while, and though it is enjoyable for what it is, I got tired of it and moved on. What it is IS basically a list of mythological creatures, gods, and fictional characters the author has deemed badass. As he goes through the list he uses hyperbole to explain who they are and why they are so badass.

I was impressed with the number of women in the list, but 90 percent of the explanations of having power centered on the size of one's balls, so it's not really
Jeff Powers
I had heard good things about this book. That it presented a bunch of stories of mythology written in concise easy go understand chapters. Making even the most obscure myths easily accessible. And I suppose it does do that. If you can get past the juvenile humor, and rather misogynistic/homophobic language. I get that it does this in attempts to be modern and humorous. But I suppose that just isn't for me. I can see how it could work for others and might even be a riot for some. But for anyone w ...more
Wellington
Jul 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book is a lot of fun and silly. It's probably geared to someone who thinks South Park rocks - which it does.

You can't take book too seriously because the author took a lot of liberties with the stories. But stories starring Gilgamesh, Mordred, Minos and Medea ... I'm pretty sure people have embellished their stories over the years.

I applaud the author picking some not as well-known subjects like ... Baba Yaga, Oya, and Bradamant of Clairmont. Who? I thought the same thing but we read book
Scott Frank
May 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A totally solid, incredibly enjoyable read. Four stars because it's not quite as amazing as the previous installment in the series (if it can be called that) - which is only because while these badasses are indeed completely face-smashingly hardcore, they are all fictional, while the raging badasses of the first book actually existed (which is even more, well, badass).

Totally fun, everyone who picked up up while I was reading it and even glanced through it laughed out loud. Can you ask for more
Matthew Perry
Feb 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listen....I know that as a history teacher and overall history nerd I should not like these books. Well that is what the stuffed shirt ivory tower d-bags want us all to think. This book is simply hilarious and I feel that it does a great job of telling history for history lovers and non history lovers. The language is juvenile but that is what makes it so great for an uninterested teen, they get the language and they may finally find this stuff interesting! I would get in heaps of trouble to act ...more
Fred
Not as good as the first one he wrote and I think that is because the first one was based around about 90% real people but this one was almost entirely fictional in nature. There's something not quite as interesting as reading about this group.

Still, if you like the way that Thompson writes on his blog, or you like the way the first book read this is probably worth you picking up. If he were a history teacher every class would be filled to max capacity that any school in the country would allow
Feb 22, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
This is not exactly my kind of book, but you have to give Ben Thompson credit for doing his research and making these stories entertaining. I was especially impressed to see the Red Dwarf of Detroit on the list, as this creature has recently resurfaced in spirit in the Detroit area. Community members now hold an annual event to banish it from the city.

If you are into extreme tales about really intense people and creatures and don't mind some very coarse language, this book is for you.

Kelly
May 13, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If Beavis and Butt-head suddenly gained IQ points, locked themselves in a bedroom stocked with an endless supply of Red Bull, and somehow managed to collaborate on a book - this would be the end result. Snooty readers or those with a refined sense of literary taste need not apply here, but if you're looking for a few low-brow laughs and can stand Thompson's relentless onslaught of hyperbole, bathroom humor, pop culture and video game references, this book is for you. I haven't laughed so hard wh ...more
Janessa
Feb 26, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaways
This is written for bruhs and frat boys. The macho talk and the shit talk makes this worthy of a bathroom read, nothing more. I am glad I got this one for free.

Added later::

After finishing this book, I still feel the same way I felt when I wrote the above. However, I might actually buy another book like this, but for the same reason. It is a chapter at a time kind of a book. That is why it took me so long to finish. All in all -- eh.
Matthew
Amusing, easy read it tends to skirt details and utilizes more common knowledge over deeper academic research for many of the individuals and monsters spoken about. The breezy style makes it for a quick book and without dwelling on too much, it readily moves on to the next character, person, or monster, ready to sing their praises just as loudly.
Rhonda Stock
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a fun read! I really enjoyed this book ... a lot like reading a long cracked.com article. I would recommend reading it over a period of time though. Reading it all at once, since a lot of the stories have similar threads, made them all run together and it was hard to remember which stories were about which deities/creatures ect.
Arwen Gordon
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first Badass was fantastic. This one is proving to rival. Though there has been quite a bit of mention of nut punching and testicle wrenching and just general male genital mutilation to the point where I keep thinking "Ok dude... I get it... getting your nuts rocked is pretty intense. But you know what else is rough? a sucker kick to the vajeen. Thanks."
Steven
Fun and silly read about a broad swathe of heroes and villains across a range of mythology, religions, and modern pop culture.

Any book that can equally discuss Darth Vader, Dirty Harry, and Gilgamesh with a healthy dose of scatalogical humor is definitely a perfect book for bathroom reads, in my opinion.
Chelle Turner
Mar 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
THis book was so funny I enjoyed all the passages in it and I loved the way it was written. It was a very profecional was to right about people kicking other peoples' asses all through out history. My favorit part was the parts about B.A.
Kurt Olausen
Aug 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You have to love a book that starts with Anubis (Chapter 1) and ends with the Daleks (Chapter 40). An overview of a plethora of awesome figures from mythology, literature, and pop culture, all of whom are "badass."
James Cazzaly
May 21, 2011 rated it liked it
This book will improve your vulgarity vocabulary. But with a title like Badass, you have to expect the book to be vulgar. Most of the characters are the popular ones learned in school. The book is great if you want to get your teenage son into reading.
Liandyr
Not a bad book but it gets repetitive. There are a few entries that I really didn't care for and having gone to the website for a long time, there were a few other people and things that could have been used.
Laianna
Feb 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I was lucky enough to be a Goodreads First Reads giveaway winner for this book...

I will edit this review when I have finished it!
Monk
Jul 25, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Even more crass than the original, but I still laughed my head off. The literary equivalent of "Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure."
Brad Unick
Dec 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
History at its finest!!
Chris Morrow
Aug 23, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another ben thompson awesome read about not history this time by mythology and story!
Justin
Jun 30, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Well written and funny, but I like my mythology to be epic...couldn't get past the "too familiar" tone used by the author.
Ryan Stewart
this book is about the real life meanings of what many of the fairy tails and mythical creatures that we have heard many times.
Matthew
Sep 07, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I think the title of this book really is all that is needed to serve as my "review". It's simply amazing.
Brent
Mar 02, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This was an amusing book but overall not great.
  • Greek Legends and Stories
  • Atlas of World History
  • The Psychology of Superheroes: An Unauthorized Exploration
  • The Sword & Sorcery Anthology
  • Countdown to Infinite Crisis
  • Post-it Note Diaries: 20 Stories of Youthful Abandon, Embarrassing Mishaps, and Everyday Adventure
  • Shocking Secrets of American History
  • Exposing the Real Che Guevara: And the Useful Idiots Who Idolize Him
  • Dane Curse (Black Cape Case Files, #1)
  • The Genesis of Justice: Ten Stories of Biblical Injustice That Led to the Ten Commandments and Modern Morality and Law
  • Writing Fantasy Heroes
  • Knights
  • Batman: The World of the Dark Knight
I write stuff about badasses.
More about Ben Thompson...

“It's impressive when you're such a mysterious fictional character that even avid enthusiasts are debating your existence within the mythos.” 1 likes