Start by marking “The Accident” as Want to Read:
The Accident

The Accident

(Point Horror #16)

She appears in Megan's mirror one day, nothing more than a wispy, shadowy plume, glowing with an eerie light. Her voice is faint and hollow, like a distant echo. The voice of a young girl.

Strangest of all is her request.

"I beg you to trade places with me, Megan. For just one week. Let me live again."

Megan is overcome with fear. Yet she is drawn to the shadow in the mirror,

Mass Market Paperback, 165 pages
Published March 1991 by Scholastic

Start your review of The Accident
Rae Ganci Hammers
Jan 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read my copy to shreds as a kid. Held up as well as I expected for a nostalgic re-read. Oh, I just 'heart' middle-school horror. <3
Connie
Source: I read this book online via Open Library.
Cost: Free

Title: The Accident
Series: Point Horror #16
Author: Diane Hoh
Overall Rating: 4 stars

When a car accident seriously injures three of her friends, Megan begins to hear the voices of a girl called Juliet, who was in accident herself and died. All she wants is a week in Megan's body, and Megan thinks she's kind and gentle. Why wouldn't she let this girl have a week of life? But as the week goes on, Juliet's intentions become more
Pao Yang
Feb 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's a very interesting book because just how this girl who can see a ghost and how she have to make a very big decision with this ghost girl that was around her age but have die long ago. The decision was to trade place with the ghost for about a week and ....... Yup that's all I can see, don't want to spoils things
Ken
Sep 16, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
After three of Megan's friends are injured in a car accident, she sees a girl named Julia in her mirror.
Julia had also been involved in an accident and asked Megan the simple favour of borrowing her body for a week...

I used to enjoy collecting the Point Horror series as a teen. This title is one of a few that I can't really recall having.
Found it to be an enjoyable read, but not one of Hoh's best.
Chelley Toy
5 out of 5 Point Horror Book Stars!

(I rate these books compared to other Point Horror Books Only)

I read this as part of the #pointhorrorbookclub that I run monthly!

You can read the post here http://talesofyesterday.co.uk/2015/07...

This is more of a discussion than a review with highlighted areas of the book and has a comedy feel to the discussion to. Please be aware that as this is a discussion there will be spoilers.

Want to know more about #pointhorrorbookclub - check this out
Kristin
I read this book a bunch of times when I was younger. Someone recently donated it to my little free library and I am not feeling well today so i decided to re read it. It's an entertaining story, a little sparse on characterization. I guess the only thing I really don't like is how all the teenagers talk like they're from the 50's "Oh that's just rotten!"
Vicki
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
this book took me back to my teenage years when I first read this book. I loved reading the book again it was just as fab as I remembered. I am going to work my way through more of her point horror books.
Angela
So far out of the Point Horror rereads, this has been my favourite. Yes, there are plot holes (which I'm choosing to ignore for enjoyment sake) and rather insipid characters who make silly decisions, but overall this had intrigue and mystery and was well thought out. Ended rather abruptly but I suppose that's just the given way for these books.
Erica Leigh
Everything I wanted in an 80s YA paranormal thriller. Ghost? Check. Body-switching? Check. Attempted murder(s)? Check. Fast-paced and fun read. Ended abruptly. Would’ve liked an epilogue.
Stacia
Jul 25, 2019 rated it liked it
This book was in a pile of old "scary" books I found on the shelves at my parents' place. I couldn't remember the story, though the nostalgia factor loomed large as I read it.

I give it 4* for the way it transported me back to the early 90s. I remember being jealous that Megan had a phone in her bedroom - something I never had at home. I couldn't help but think how different the story would be taking into account today's technology. Cellphones, internet... Still, the plot would largely hold up
Nia Ireland
Jan 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is a blast from my past – I used to listen to the audiobook of this title on cassette on my way home from school! I’ve been obsessively trying to figure out the name of the title again off and on for years until I finally asked my brother and BOOM, he instantly remembered it.

I bought it on the Kindle for old time’s sake and it’s as good as I remember – delightfully 90s with Sweet Sixteen birthday parties, landline telephones and a teenage girl trapped in a mirror.
The story is
Mark Richard
Jan 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, kids
So we start off with and Accident >>> who saw that one coming <<<<
The accident involves 3 of Megan's friends as Megan is daydreaming about her 16th birthday party and of course this hunk of a guy from school...

Things turn creepy when a ghost of a 15 year old girl appears in Megan's mirror and wants to trade places with her for a week.... <>>>>

It soon becomes apparent that the Accident, wasn't actually and Accident.....and more accidents begin to happen....

A
Jenn
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
As with all Point Horror (yes, I enjoy a 90s MG), pre mobile phones is something that I imagine an MG audience would find difficult to comprehend. But this one, with spirits with dead girls is full of things that aren't comprehendible! Enjoyable, easy to read, don't expect too much. AND NEVER SWITCH BODIES WITH DEAD PEOPLE!
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was super predictable, but still enjoyable despite the fact that Justin wasn't a very compelling romantic interest. What really killed this book was the ending - the author could have written a much better and more interesting conclusion to the story instead of (view spoiler)
Alejandra Delgado Barajas
This book is a good book for a quick, fun read. The book itself would have benefited from a longer length to help the story go more smoothly. There was quit a few plot holes but it did not bother me so much. I would not recommend this book for people who are very fickle with a story and it’s plot.
Kelly
Jul 07, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is good in parts
curleduptoes
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was so much fun. A quick read full of thrill and creepiness.

Megan was superb!
Isela Redman
One of those teen thriller quickies from the '90s. Predictable plotline, but still fun.
Tazzie Dee
In the tiny village of Lakeside, nothing much happens. And then one day, the shadow of a young girl called Juliet appears in Megan’s mirror. She begs Megan to trade places with her for a week. Megan is both reluctant and yet fascinated and curious and she eventually agrees to do so. But as the week goes on, Megan’s family and friends are attacked one by one and Juliet’s behaviour becomes more worrying. Can Megan really trust Juliet? And will she ever get her life back?

I read this as a teenager
Emma Ruth
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love re-reading this book, okay?
Sati Marie Frost
This was one of my childhood favourites. Reading it again, I'm not quite sure how to feel about it.

I think I'd have liked it better if I'd read it under a different imprint, at a different time. It's not really a horror story, more of an urban fantasy, and as I'm reading these books in October (Halloween season!) horror and crazed killers are what I want. In addition, I came to this one off the back of Trick or Treat, so anything was bound to be a disappointment.

That said, it is a nice book.
Barakiel
Feb 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommend this to teen girls who would like to read a thrilling, suspenseful supernatural story.
I thoroughly enjoyed it as a fifteen-year-old.
Bailey Peyton
Jun 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm giving this such a high rating due to its unique subject matter. Most Point Horror novels deal with the typical murder mystery mixed with high school drama, and while this did have HS elements , (they are teenagers after all), this one has the added attraction of an evil ghost who manipulates our protagonist into switching places with her in order to enjoy the sweet sixteen I believe it was, that she never had. I think what really grabbed me in the story was that no one noticed the ...more
Sara L.
Apr 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is not a genre that would usually interest me. I came across it on the library website and checked it out. I've been trying new genres lately and this did NOT disappoint! I was drawn in and could NOT put it down!

This book had incredible suspense, lovable characters, and intense plot. Reading YA as a parent makes me look at them through multiple lenses: my own perspective when I was a young adult, what I would think about my future Jr. High/High Schooler reading it, and my perspective as an
Kristina Morris
Nov 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
WOW~ A short read that captures the reader instantly! This book has action, adventure, romance, mystery, and ghosts! It's about a girl (Megan) who comes in contact with a shy ghost (Juliet) who wants nothing more than to celebrate the 16th birthday she never got to have. Megan has the opportunity to help this spirit have her dream before passing into the afterlife, but if she does help her, what will it cost her and will she ever be the same again? So much fun! I have students fighting over this ...more
H.orses
Mar 22, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The reason I had gotten this book in the first place was was because it seemed like a really good horror book. In the end it was a great book but I would have preferred it to be a little more scary. Nothing really bad happens in the end or in the middle... or in the beginning. No deaths, just a lot of people getting mysteriously hurt. I liked the writing and it was a fun short read, just wished it had actually scared me a little.
Gustav Taljegard
The Accident is a book made by writer Diane Hoh. The book is about a teenage girl who faces a strange women in a mirror. The mysterious lady is apparently dead and that happened for many years ago. The lady died in an accident and now she wants to trade lives with the poor teenager. The teenager takes her offer into consideration after she loses her voice. I personally think that this book has a very good potential but I am not a fan of the extreme unrealistic parts.
Gayle Noble
Would you swap places with a ghost for a week? That's the dilemma facing Megan and, of course, nothing is as it seems. First one of my 2017 alphabetical re-read of the Point Horror Series. This one is ok but not as good as some of the others. Rating:3 stars.
Emma Meade
May 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book when I was a kid. Re-read it today, 15 years later and it's as good as I remembered.
Eerie, haunting and original. Would you exchange places with a ghost hanging out in your bedroom mirror?
Sally
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was great, and properly freaked me out for a while! I found myself avoiding the mirror as much as possible while i was reading this book because it just felt so real! You know its a good book when it makes you feel like you're there!
RDNG 636 Fall 2015: The Accident 1 3 Nov 07, 2015 06:57PM
What's the Name o...: spirit in a mirror. possibly YA [s] 13 85 Feb 26, 2013 01:42PM

• The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • Dream Date
  • The Snowman
  • The Ripper
  • The Cheerleader (Point Horror, #18)
  • I Saw You That Night!
  • The Dead Girlfriend (Point Horror)
  • The Perfume
  • The Mall
  • Halloween Night (Halloween Night, #1)
  • Freeze Tag
  • The Stranger
  • Fog (Losing Christina, #1)
  • The Hitchhiker
  • Fatal Bargain (Vampire's Promise, #3)
  • Overdue
  • Slumber Party
  • The Window
Diane Hoh is the author of fifty-seven novels for young adults. She grew up in Warren, Pennsylvania but currently resides in Austin, Texas. Reading and writing are her favorite things, alongside gardening and grandchildren.

Point Horror (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • Blind Date (Point Horror, #1)
  • Twisted (Point Horror, #2)
  • The Lifeguard (Point Horror, #3)
  • My Secret Admirer (Point Horror, #4)
  • The Baby-Sitter (The Baby-Sitter, #1; Point Horror, #5)
  • Trick or Treat (Point Horror, #6)
  • April Fools (Point Horror, #7)
  • Beach Party (Point Horror, #8)
  • Funhouse
  • Teacher's Pet (Point Horror, #10)