Start by marking “Hunter” as Want to Read:
Hunter

Read Book

Hunter

Hunter is a short Sci-Fi story set in a dark and desperate world.
ebook, Short story, 10 pages
Published February 10th 2011 (first published February 10th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Hunter, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunter

Werner
May 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Fans of dark, grim science fiction
Recommended to Werner by: My Goodreads friend Amber
Fans of the 80s-90s TV series Star Trek: The Next Generation know Wil Wheaton as the actor who played Wesley Crusher for several seasons. Since then, however, he's apparently developed a second career as an author. My only prior acquaintance with his work was my recent read of another of his freebie short stories, The Monster in My Closet, which I checked out via a link in one of my groups. Although I didn't rate it, I didn't care much for it; so my friend Amber (who'd given both stories five-star reviews) sugge ...more
Eric
Aug 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Sci-fi geeks
Recommended to Eric by: Wil Wheaton
Shelves: science-fiction
This is a good move on the part of Wil Wheaton. I never would have committed to reading an entire novel just because he -- a sci-fi actor and geek personality -- wrote it. But a short story on a pay-what-you-want scale, that is different. Because I definitely can, and did, take 15 minutes to check out Hunter, which teases the reader with the existence of an interesting, untapped science-fiction world. And I liked it -- there wasn't enough to love -- but it left me wanting more, and I'm hoping this will ...more
Amber
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This was a pretty good read. Pyke is a colonist who works for the alien race called Gan to capture rebels of the resistance and bring them in to the Gan. It's only when the girl he's hunting captures him with her telepathic abilities that he becomes the prey and is given a taste of his own medicine. I enjoyed this short story and will reccomend this to others. Definitely check this story out.
Renetta
Dec 30, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: short-story
I really wanted my rating to be one star and the review to simply read Bazinga. Come on, that's funny.

Okay, on to the review...

Short story indeed. I was picturing the old black and white Twilight Zones while I was reading it. I really liked it. I think it would be a great opening action scene to introduce Nina... so now I want the rest of that story. I want to know how she ended up out there doing what she's doing. Come on Wil Wheaton! We want more!
Charlie
Apr 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Anyone
So Wil Wheaton took a step and wrote a piece of fiction. It's short. I read it in about 10 minutes and is more of a vignette than an actual complete short story. And I loved it! It grabbed me and ran through broken down streets and a very post-apocalyptic type setting without actually being a post-apocalyptic story. The ideas that Wil has in this short piece could easily be turned into a full length novel if given the chance. (At least in my opinion.)

There were two thoughts going thr
Kendra
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
For a short story this is great! of course it leaves you wanting more but I understand it was only intended to be a short story. I found it easy to follow and enjoyed the quick read. I was able to visualize everything perfectly. Of course I didn't realize it was Wil Wheaton before I read it as I noticed I could read the book straight from the site before I took the time to read what I was about to read, I will look for more Wil Wheaton books as this story was very enjoyable.
Jose
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: sci-fi
Short, not bad, but not really different.
It didnt make me wish for a longer version, didnt care for the characters or world,
the aliens were confusing and without purpose, i've read much better and interesting short stories than this one.
Still, i was curious for Wheaton work and it was free so, give it a try if you want...
Martyn Halm
Sep 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
This short story has a cool twist that I wouldn't want to reveal, but it's gruesome to an almost horror-like level.

I didn't know the actor Wheaton could write so well, but I will seek out more of his work.

Recommended for sci-fi/dystopian fans.
Ally
Sep 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
(From my blog, Word Vagabond: Reviews of Independent and Small Press Books. http://wordvagabond.wordpress.com/ )

When the rebel-hunter Pyke chases a teenage girl into a dark alley, he expects to have a bit of fun before turning her over to his alien masters. What he finds will turn his world inside-out.

This short story by geek icon Wil Wheaton feels like the preface to something larger. The exposition is handled beautifully, setting the atmosphere of a world under siege in a few words, without feeling clun
Sabrina
Oct 14, 2013 rated it liked it
Please don't be put off by my rating... Definitely read this! It's a great little short story it terms of being short and sweet with a certain degree of moral depth, BUT I judged this harshly as I wish the author had let himself go a bit further. I feel that this author wanted to get this story onto paper, but realized the dangers of overwhelming readers by immersing them in this world so he kept it simple. Sadly, in doing so I feel that the authors voice is a bit lost in the very straight-forwa ...more
Ireney Berezniak
While poking around Goodreads, searching for that "next great read", I stumbled upon the author profile of Wil Wheaton, who is probably best known for his role as Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: The Next Generation. Needless to say, I had to check out his work, and Hunter was the sampler of choice due to its sci-fi underpinnings. I have to say, I enjoyed it. It is an exceptionally short story that consumed 5 minutes of my time, but its dark subject matter appealed to me. Wil appears to have a knack for story tel ...more
Elizabeth
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
I didn't realize this was a super short story available online when I added it to my to-read shelf a year ago. As one reviewer mentioned, releasing a short story was a good move. Why would anyone trust a sci-fi actor with a full book? Instead, this was a quick 10-pages that proved Wheaton can actually write.

Anyway, interesting premise - especially with Nina and her tricks. Honestly, this would make a great one-off sci-fi episode on a show like Twilight Zone (or Black Mirror if they added some m
Lis Carey
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, f-sf
Pyke is living in a grim, desperate world, a colony world that has been invaded by a conquering alien force. There's an active, determined resistance--and Pyke used to be part of it. Six months ago, though, he decided it was hopeless, and decided to join the winning side. He's working for the Gan, now, hunting down resistance fighters. And today, he's after one more rebel, a teenage girl who'll be an easy target. Won't she?

This is a short story, so there's not a lot of room for devel
Lizzie
Jun 29, 2016 rated it liked it
A very short story with a solid story concept. Descriptively written for its length, an alien world invaded by a very mean race, a city mostly destroyed, and a traitor to his own race facing the horror he has inflicted.

My only criticism - there was so much potential for a novella, if not a full-length novel, that it felt like the brevity took something away from me and reduced the emotional impact of the story.

Kudos to making use of the serial comma! (It's a pet peeve that most of m
Thea
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi
This is a really well written and captivating short story. I just wish it wasn't so short! I read it while I was waiting for my car to be worked on and within those few pages, I was really drawn in by the characters and world Wil has created and I was really sad to see it end! I sat there with questions! What happens next?? What happens next??

I recommend this quick read to all scifi fans. :) I really hope to see a companion piece written if he never decides to expand this particular
Mollie
Aug 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a short story but it was so powerful. A very quick read but definitely what could be an amazing start for a full length novel. There are a lot of dystopian books out there but this one reminded me of older science fiction like Marion Zimmer Bradley's A Door Through Space which could inspire a new generation of science fiction writers. This was just absolutely amazing and something I hope Wheaton turns into a full novel. Just crazy amazing.
Jorge
Feb 13, 2013 rated it liked it
it was just OK. with a little more investment and some professional editting Wil could have made this work the first chapter of a longer story. however, this does not represent a completed work. even as a short story it missing an ending. short story for is much harder than novel form. lots to squeeze into a short format. that said, I enjoyed it enough to pay 1 buck for it. however he will have to step it up in order to get anymore money out of me.
Tanya
Aug 14, 2012 rated it liked it
A good short story should cause interest in the surrounding story, and this one does that. You want to know more. The adult feeling comes through as well, at a time when apocalyptic future is often told from the perspective of teenagers. A minor criticism would come with regards to the character names... maybe just a personal feeling, but made up future names often feel forced to me. Good work overall.
Shanna
Jun 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everybody, just give it a chance it's amazing!
This was a short story with a facinating world to explore. I loved the concept of the hunter becoming the prey and was interested in what was going on from the first word. I would love, as many others have already mentioned I'm sure, to read more about this world and its strong characters.

Though I loved every word of this short story, I was left wanting a lot more. I guess that's what makes an amazing author. Well done and I can't wait to read more of Wil Wheaton's works.
Kevin
Aug 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I had heard that Wil Wheaton had become a fairly notorious blogger and writer but I had no idea he was this good. This was a VERY short tale of a traitorous mercenary working for alien invaders and it starts out exciting and ends even better. I loved how much detail and emotion he was able to put into such a short story. I would love to see this concept expanded into a full length story. I will easily recommend checking this one out. I was very impressed.
Doug
Mar 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, sci-fi, kindle
As other reviewers have said, I enjoyed the universe presented in this short story and would love to read more. I found the bounty hunter main character a bit one dimensional and unlikeable, but that may have been the point. If Wil turns this into a longer story, I hope he uses this portion as more of an introduction to the other characters featured in the story and chooses to focus less on the bounty hunter.
Janne Järvinen
Apr 18, 2013 rated it it was ok
Shelves: scifi
Very well written at the beginning, but a bit vague later on.

But what's up with the gloominess? Not just here, but in fiction in general? I don't get it. I thought fiction was supposed to be an opposing force to all the bullshit going on in the real world. I really don't understand the point of creating more injustice and darkness, even fictitious.
CJ
Jan 31, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
I like to think of this story as an amuse-bouche. There's just enough there that, if your tastes so run, your mouth is watering for more. It's a little short in world context, for my taste, and the climax scene feels like it stretches a touch long, but it's definitely enough to make me interested in the 'verse.
Joe
Apr 01, 2011 rated it liked it
Picked up solely because I like Wil Wheaten, this is a curious little short story - and like many short stories, discussing any of the plot would give it away, as there is so little of it. It does feel like it should be the start of something more, whether it's an introduction to some longer work or just a particular setting, but the ending didn't leave me satisfied, either way.
Todd
Oct 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
That was rad. This is the kind of story that makes me wanna know more! It was only a blip into a world and into characters that could easily capture my attention for the span of a full novel.

(and, of course, this short story went well with today's theme... being the last day of the Mayan Calendar and another failed apocalypse prediction)

Well done, Sir.
Stephanie Venable
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: sci-fi fans
Recommended to Stephanie by: Wil Wheaton('s blog)
I'm not the biggest fan of serious unadulterated sci-fi, but I really liked this. Wil, you rock, and your writing is better than you let yourself believe it is. Nice work. This would be a great one to expand into a longer piece. 5 pages is not enough for the interesting world you've created here...
Beth
Apr 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, own, ebook, kindle
This is not anything like what I normally read. I will admit that the only reason I read it is because Wil Wheaton wrote it. It was dark and creepy and very short. I don't think I could have read it much longer. Given the dark and creepy part.

But it was well written. It did what a good book is supposed to do by putting you in the action. You felt right along with Pyke.
Meow
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Meow by: Stephanie Venable
Shelves: celebrity, scifi
SA
Jan 15, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2012
Like a bite of something strange but delicious, Hunter showed us a window into another universe but never let us put ourselves inside it. This could easily be worked into a much longer hero's journey of a sci-fi horror novel, but even so, the characters were well realized and the punishment was visceral.
Laurie
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I've seen sci-fi done every which way. I may not read as much of it as the average fan, but it's definitely my favorite genre as far as movies and TV.

Other than his blog, this was the first of Wheaton's writings I'd read and I know I want to see more. This story is excellent. It's well written, entertaining, and surprising.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Sing
  • Selfies
  • How I Proposed to My Wife: An Alien Sex Story
  • The Hour of the Time
  • The After Party
  • Night's Slow Poison (Imperial Radch #0.5)
  • For Want of a Nail
  • Augie and the Green Knight
  • A Treasury of Great Science Fiction, Volume One
  • Celebromancy (Ree Reyes, #2)
  • Sword & Laser Anthology
  • The Stars in Shroud
  • She's Hot Now
  • Hopscotch
  • The Returners: Season One Omnibus
  • The Grief Frequency
  • Uncanny Magazine Issue 18: September/October 2017
  • Rag and Bone
Wil Wheaton began acting in commercials at the age of seven, and by the age of ten had appeared in numerous television and film roles. In 1986, his critically acclaimed role in Rob Reiner’s Stand By Me put him in the public spotlight, where he remains to this day. In 1987, Wil was cast as Wesley Crusher in the hit television series Star Trek: The Next Generation. Recently, Wil has held recurring r ...more