Start by marking “Death by Chocolate” as Want to Read:

Death by Chocolate

(Death by Chocolate #1)

USA TODAY BESTSELLING AUTHOR
First book in the Death by Chocolate series

Lindsay loves chocolate. It tastes good, it makes her feel good, it never cheats on her like her almost-ex-husband. It's her best friend. But someone wants her dead and uses her weak spot—chocolate—to try to murder her.

Lindsay's only secret is the recipe for her chocolate chip cookies, but she is surr
Published February 1st 2011 by Amazon Digital Services

To ask other readers questions about Death by Chocolate, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death by Chocolate

Start your review of Death by Chocolate
Phrynne
I only had one problem with this book but unfortunately it was the main character. Please oh please but if you found your husband in bed with another woman and then he went to live with that woman and is still living with her but wants you back do you honestly consider it for even one second? I know it is just a book but really!
Anyway once I managed to ignore anything to do with Rick the rest of the book was pretty good. The neighbours were fun, especially Fred, and the policeman/prospective boy
Kylie H
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is chick-lit, meets crime in a cosy manner. An enjoyable book centring on Lindsay who is addicted to chocolate. Her neighbour and good friend appears to be being stalked, but also has a secret past that she is reluctant to share with anyone.
One thing that did irritate me was the constant wise-cracking and flippancy of Lindsay throughout the entire story. Yes, it was irritating, no it did not detract from the story and sometimes the humour was quite good.
Looking forward to the next book
Alan
Dec 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lindsey Powell owns a chocolate shop in Kansas City. When her best friend is stalked, Lindsey investigates.

Berneathy gives us a sassy protagonist, an engaging plot with vivid descriptions, and captivating secondary characters. All done within a delightful chocolate environment with plenty of humor.

A fun, fast-paced read.
Carolyn
Mar 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a delightful easy to read mystery with great characters. Chocolatier Lindsay Powell has always known that her neighbour and best friend Paula is hiding a secret from her past. After all she turned up out of nowhere with no belongings or family ties other than her baby Zach, needing a home and a job. Paula took a chance renting the property she owns to her and giving her a job in her ever expanding chocolate bakery. Now someone is snooping around and Paula looks set to flee again unless ...more
Traslan
Sep 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first book by Sally Berneathy. It will not be the last..!

Truly enjoyable!
The story was cozy, warm and funny.

Absolutely addictive, and I couldn't put it down.
♛ Garima ♛
Rating:
3 stars

Trigger:
Abusive relationship (not described explicitly)

Short review:
Lately, I am into Diner Mystery kind of books. It was free on kindle, so I thought why not.

Lindsay Powell has lot on her plate with what sleeping with almost ex-husband Rick, stray overprotective watch cat (all hail Sir Henry), troubled neighbor and best friend/co-owner of her bakery (Paula), with getting involved with ongoing missing person investigation officer Trent. It is fun read except if you don't mind
Anastasia
Death by Chocolate by Sally Berneathy is the first book in the Death by Chocolate mystery series. Chocolatier and owner of cafe Death by Chocolate, Lindsay Powell helps her friend Paula when she is targetted by a stalker who then goes missing. I loved everything about this book. The chocolate cake on the cover looks so tempting and the quirky crazy characters were fun and entertaining, even the cat. No murder to solve but more of a disappearance, it was still a great mystery to read. Fast paced, ...more
Nola Arganbright
May 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
A chocolate mess

Loved the book but regret having no chocolate available as I absorbed it. Strong plot with multiple subplots to keep the reader guessing. Strong characters that were well developed. This book does have talk of abuse and narcissistic tendencies and may be a trigger for some.
Chocolate recipes included.
Wealhtheow
Dec 29, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Main character loves chocolate and coca cola. That's her personality, ladies and gentlemen! ...more
Sandee
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful characters and relationships. Well-written, well-edited and I couldn't put it down. A little bit wacky, a little bit sad and a whole lot of fun. ...more
Brenda
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Brenda by: Anastasia
Lindsay Powell’s best friend Paula and her two year old son Zach lived right next door to Lindsay – they had also worked together in her café, Death by Chocolate for the past two years. Lindsay’s divorce from her cheating ex-husband Rick would be through in around three weeks, but Rick was still trying to stay sweet with Lindsay. But that all went on the back-burner when Paula found herself in trouble from a secretive past – a past she wouldn’t tell Lindsay about…

Fred, Lindsay’s other neighbour,
Linda
Oct 31, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loooooove this book! M daughter told me I had to read it and I blew her off for months. When I finally read it I was screaming with laughter (Fred, you da man!) and that was all it took to get me hooked. I call in sick to work when I see Sallly Berneathy has a new book out so I can stay home and read.
Darcy
Sep 24, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, 2017
This was a fun cozy mystery. What attracted me to it was the title of the book, anything chocolate gains my attention! I loved how Lindsay's shop was involved, how chocolate was her life. Lindsay's personal life was a bit of a mess, as witnessed by the first chapter. I have to say that I thought less of Lindsay for the choice she made at the start. I was glad that by the end of the book she rectified that and put her past in the past and love that there seems to be a spark with a certain detecti ...more
J.P. Willson
Jan 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interestingly enough I stumbled across this book while browsing on AllAuthor for another reason altogether. I saw the title and was intrigued. I read the free preview and was hooked. I got the book and read the thing in a matter of hours. This was one of the funniest things I have read in a long time, plus it was a good story that kept me engaged from start to finish.
Well worth a look...
Suzanne
Feb 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Chocolate can be the death of you

This is a nice book with a good story line. Lindsay Powell is owner of a small cafe called Death by Chocolate. Which is fitting since Lindsay has a major love of chocolate and coke.
She's getting a divorce from her cheating husband who seems to have a revolving door in her life.
She has a neighbor, Paula Walters who has a son and keeps her house locked up like Fort Knox and another neighbor, Fred who is mysterious.
When strange things start happening to Paula, Lind
Elena Johansen
DNF @ 20%. I was bored.

Things happened that should have engaged my interest--a little boy mysteriously disappearing only to be found soon after with no explanation of who took him or how he got out of the house; a stake-out spot discovered in the fenced-in yard of an empty house in the neighborhood; one of the protagonist's neighbors possessing an unusual and useful skill set to go along with her amateur investigating.

But whatever interest I might have mustered for those hooks was swamped by how
Kevin Findley
Apr 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
An absolutely fun read with a rich, mystery center!

I'm not going to go into fine details, because everyone should go into this with no idea what it's about except for the blurb on the back cover. Our confectionary heroine finds herself with an interesting group of friends and cohorts (plus one strange feline) to come to the aid of a friend fleeing her actions that ended an abusive relationship.

There are a few times the abilities of one friend (and the cat) exceed any reasonable suspension of di
Suzie
Dec 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!!!

This story sucked me in and kept me glued to my Kindle until I was done. Funny, quirky, and just enough mystery to keep you completely involved. I look forward to the next book!!!
Renju Johnson
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

This book belongs to a sub genre within crime thrillers called cozy mysteries. Given my understanding of the literal meaning of those words, I would say that this book lives up to its expectations. The stakes were quite low but the writing was quite funny and things were unfolding at a decent pace which made it a compelling read for me. I would only recommend it as a light read on a lazy Sunday morning.
Lauren
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5. First by this author. Different reasoning as to why the villain did it. Enjoyed it.
Kris Ferrell
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun Read

This a fun read with good pacing and quirky characters. If you want some mind candy and some food recipes this is the book for you.
Katie
Dec 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An entertaining light hearted mystery. Lindsay the main character was likable and relatable. And bonus points for her Siamese cat. The recipes at the back of the book look good as well. I’m looking forward to reading the next book in the series.
Melody
Feb 15, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I like this book, the characters are interesting, the food sounds great (except for the poisoned food). And the plot, unfortunately, is probable. It is funny at times, terrifying at others. I look forward to the next in the series.
Kara Thomas
This a cute book that is set in a suburb of KC so that’s always a plus for me. It’s a chic lit book with a bit of suspense tossed in there. I wouldn’t shy away from the second one but I don’t think I’ll rush out to read it either. I’ve had this on my TBR list for over 7 years so there are a lot of other books I need to get to first!
Jonni Rich
Jan 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Well crafted police procedural and amateur sleuth mystery. Kept me interested. Great chocolate recipes at end of book.
Shelly♥
Mar 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'd give this book a solid 3.5. It was a short book - 189 pages on my nookcolor. A nice little mystery between some heavier reads.

Lindsay is a chocolatier. She owns a shop "Death by Chocolate". On the edge of divorce, she finds her soon to be ex wants her back. At the same time, something mysterious is up with her best friend, neighbor, co-worker Paula - something almost criminal. Can Lindsay help while side stepping her own pesky husband? Is she putting herself in danger?

Kind of the same lines
Kay (Brigidsmomma) Compton
Apr 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cozy-mysteries
I got this book confused with another one I thought I was reviewing instead. This was actually very good, and rather intense in places. The bad guy was quite a creep, and the protagonist and her friends were really well written and entirely likeable. The soon-to-be ex of the protagonist is also a real creep, and I loved how her cat helps her see what a jerk he is... Gotta love a mystery where the heroes are large male cats and nerdy computer jocks...
Allison
Jan 25, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Lindsey could be my "sister from another mister." I'm pretty sure we're related somewhere along the line. She's sassy, spunky and sometimes reacts before thinking or having a plan in place but she is also a friend til the end. She eats a tremendous amount of chocolate, which actually does almost kill her. Love the recipes in the back of the book too. ...more
Yvonna
I will absolutely read more books by Sally Berneathy. Death by Chocolate had me laughing and apprehensive within the same minute. I knew that the ultimate outcome would be positive for the main characters, but the twists and turns to get there was a thrill of a ride.
Katherine
Jun 24, 2015 rated it really liked it
No better way to go..chocolate

This is a very fun story. Great characters, interesting storyline, and that all infectious humor. At the end you even get a treat of recipes, several I plane on trying.
Madison Mega-Mara...: #24 - Death By Chocolate 1 2 Feb 04, 2014 02:22PM

• Dial P For Poison (Movie Club Mysteries, #1)
  • A Pie to Die for (Bakery Detectives #1)
  • BlueBuried Muffins (Black Cat Cafe #1)
  • Pasta Pinot & Murder (Willa Friday Food & Wine Mystery #1)
  • The Secret of Seaside (Paige Comber Mystery Book 1)
  • Stiff in the Sand (Cape Hope Mysteries Book 1)
  • Murder in Cherry Hills (Cozy Cat Caper Mystery, #1)
  • No Limit (Nadia Wolf #1)
  • A Deadly Delivery (A Psychic Cafe Mystery, #1)
  • Dying for a Date (Laurel McKay Mysteries, #1)
  • Coffee & Corpse (Connie Cafe Mystery Series #1)
  • Bed and Breakfast and Murder (Fiona Fleming, #1)
  • Snow Can Be Deadly (Sage Gardens #10)
  • From Garden To Grave (The Leafy Hollow Mysteries, #1)
  • Murder By Design: ...a young girl dreams of topping haute couture!
  • The Long Paw of the Law (Ashley Crane Mystery #1)
  • Death of a Dapper Snowman (Stormy Day Mystery #1)
  • A Dead End (Saints & Strangers, #1)
“Write what you know,” they said. I’d been married three times. I wrote romances.

Fast forward ten years.

“Write what you know,” they said. I’d been divorced three times and fantasized about murdering my ex. Only massive doses of chocolate kept my finger off the trigger.

Now I write about murder and chocolate and the occasional ghost.

Death by Chocolate (7 books)
  • Murder, Lies and Chocolate (Death by Chocolate #2)
  • The Great Chocolate Scam (Death by Chocolate #3)
  • Chocolate Mousse Attack (Death by Chocolate, #4)
  • Fatal Chocolate Obsession (Death by Chocolate, #5)
  • Deadly Chocolate Addiction (Death by Chocolate, #6)
  • Guns, Wives and Chocolate (Death by Chocolate Book 7)