Start by marking “Have You Filled A Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids” as Want to Read:
Have You Filled A Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids

Have You Filled A Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids

Through simple prose and vivid illustrations, this heartwarming book encourages positive behaviour as children see how rewarding it is to express daily kindness, appreciation, and love. Bucket filling and dipping are effective metaphors for understanding the effects of our actions and words on the well being of others and ourselves.
Published May 1st 2006 by Nelson Publishing & Marketing

Charlotte Yette I read it for my kid at 2 and the kid can understand almost. And the kid repeats saying "my bucket is full, yours is full, too" when she feels happy.

Cathy
Feb 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the simple concept, but a mighty important one, of introducing wellness early on to children, which is why I'm a big fan of this book. I'm glad to see many teachers endorsing it at the schools I visit.
Cheri Ragland
Jan 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eced-117
"Have You Filled Your Bucket Today?" is a book about feelings and making the right choices. This book is a simple guide for children to share and learn good thoughts and good feelings. The book uses an invisible bucket, that everyone has, to help illustrate how to fill your bucket and how you would feel with your bucket full. In contrast, it speaks of a bucket dipper and how that feels when you become a bucket dipper. For example, the author writes, "A bucket dipper says or does mean things that ...more
Robyn
May 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I borrowed this book from my son's elementary school library (where I volunteer weekly) after learning about the author at an anti-bullying workshop the school held. I was looking for Growing Up with a Bucket Full of Happiness: Three Rules for a Happier Life but our library didn't have it (eventually I ordered it for the library). They did have this title instead. I pre-read any book that I read to my children to make sure it's appropriate and this book has a really good message. It teaches chil ...more
Lady Heather
This is a wonderfully written and illustrated book for children between the ages of 4-9.

The idea of this book is to teach and guide children in learning how they can "fill the imaginary bucket that everyone in the world possesses, and the buckets of others" by treating people with kindness and respect.
They are also taught that you can empty their bucket and the bucket of others by being unkind and disrespectful.
Audrey
Oct 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a delightful book for children. It teaches them that if they are kind to others they will make themselves happier too.
Gwyneth Carson
May 25, 2011 rated it it was amazing
"Have You Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud and David Messing.After reading this book to my class they have adopted all that it stands for. I hea...moreHave You Filled a Bucket Today? by Carol McCloud and David Messing.After reading this book to my class they have adopted all that it stands for. I hear my second graders saying "Not me, I'm a bucket filler not a bucket dipper!" I have even brought in a bucket that sits on a book shelf where my students can write quick notes of good deeds th ...more
Jessica
Aug 19, 2015 rated it did not like it
I dislike this book so much! I get that it's a response to bullying and the message is meant to teach children to get along with one another...but let's step back into reality for just a minute. Emotions and feelings come in both the good and bad variety...sometimes others actions affect how we feel. I can be sad and still have a "full bucket"...I can be happy and have an "empty bucket" on a deeper level. We should be nice and helpful but sometimes we will have a bad day...and all of my emotions ...more
Alison Strandell
Sep 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
What a great message that all humans walk around with an invisible bucket, and it is our job to "fill" people's buckets through positivity and kindness.
Deb
Aug 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: for-alena
This is not a story really. It's sort of like non-fiction for kids. Any book that makes me super emotional in a good way gets five stars. Yes, it teaches and preaches, but today that worked for me. The metaphor that we all have buckets that need filling is not new, but it is explained well in this book. The book gives good suggestions too. It all rings true to me. I like the illustrations too. I would recommend this book.

A bit later: I just told my daughter who is a second grade teacher about th
Kris
Feb 27, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is used by the teachers in the K-2 of my Kidd’s school, along with How Full is Your Bucket? The message of both is easy for kids to understand, and I think it is helpful. It is a nice way to get kids to think about how what they do effects others.
Jenny Takenaka
Jan 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Both girls connected with this book.
RedTinted
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
At the risk of sounding cliched, the concept in the book is so simple yet powerful. It is an important lesson for all of us. Not just the kids!
Katherine
Feb 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A really outstanding book for young children (and the not-so-young) to help them understand that everyone needs—and can give—kindness, appreciation and love on a daily basis. Delightful full-color illustrations!

Highly recommended.
Sandy
Jun 05, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Normally I wouldn't add a children's book to my list, but here's an exception. I was so impressed by this book when I first saw it that I went out and bought it for a future child I might have (whenever that may happen)! The story line makes it very easy for a young child to learn the difference between doing good and doing bad with the use of an invisible bucket that 'everyone in the world carries with them.' When you do good things you fill the buckets of others and your own. When you do bad t ...more
Vernon Area Public Library KIDS
Nov 26, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nonfiction
Recommended for children of all ages. This colorful, simple book shares a beautiful message. Everyone throughout the world carries with them "a bucket". In that bucket we carry all of our good feelings and thoughts about ourselves. Other people fill our bucket when they say and do nice things. And we can do the same for other people. Kids are encouraged not to be "bucket dippers". Bucket Dippers try to fill up their own empty buckets by dipping into other people's buckets by being mean and bully ...more
A Mae
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Peacemakers
Recommended to A Mae by: school
Hey Caroline,
That book was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Vera Godley
In Have You Filled A Bucket Today? basically takes you through the gentle procedure of filling buckets and finding happiness in doing so. The text is short and to the point giving a variety of activities and instances in which you can share happiness and joy in filling buckets. The illustrations by David Messing are really cute and engaging.

I received a complimentary copy to facilitate a review of my honest opinion and was not compensated.
Gricel
Feb 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: social
A must to read book to children to teach them how to be part of their community in a positive loving way. It's message is really powerful and very, very easy to understand in the way that it is presented. Children and parents can realize how easy and rewarding it is to express love and kindness with everybody around them. High quality book. The illustrations are very vivid and colorful. Multicultural. Ages 4-10.
Ezekiel
Apr 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
For a book all about helping others and treating others with respect, it sure is messed up that people with disabilities and people of color are primarily shown as the people who need "help" and support. The "you" is almost always a white kid, and the initial picture at the beginning setting up how everyone in the world has a "bucket" is super tokenizing.
Allison
This book shapes our classroom philosophy! We always talk about being bucket fillers to others (and ourselves). This book shows children how they can express feelings, show respect for other people, and give of themselves. I have also heard of this book being read to help children learning about friendships have more success with peers.
Kristle Pipgras
Feb 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Such an adorable book that really helps children and adults alike learn to be a bucket filler. If you have children, are a teacher, or generally have a difficult time finding reasons to be kind in life, you should read this book.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I LOVE this book!! What a simple concept, and easy to visualize, to encourage kids to be kind to one another, and thereby make themselves happy as well. I've got to order this for my library. Outstanding for the young, and a nice reminder for older readers. Highly recommended!!
Sydney McClure
This is a great book to read to all students in any grade because it helps students to reflect on how they treat others. This correlates with anti-bullying programs and procedures at schools.
Karen
Jul 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ellie, mom, jacob
Ellie read this one to us. She really likes this book. We have read it many times before and within weeks of reading it we always ask or tell each other when they filled out "bucket"...krb 7/18/16
Erin Martin
Sep 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Adorable! Should be required reading for all 5 year olds :-)
Jennifer Emery
Jun 11, 2009 rated it did not like it
i very much disliked this book... buckets are ment to be spilled
Thomas
Dec 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Mr.Joeseph read it to the class and I liked it.
Judy
"And, at the end of each day, ask yourself. Did I fill a bucket today?"

An expansion really on the other book I reviewed today Last Stop Market Street". Both focus on the interconnectedness of us human animals and learning to look truly into yourself and see your individual responsibility.

Where Last Stop on Market Street is subtle and allows the reader/listener to develop their thoughts as their awareness grows this story is quite a heavy handed manual in comparison. And in fairness, it's sub-tit
Lindsay
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This book is so beautifully written and shares a beautiful message. It is not so much a story has a lesson. In the book it implies that everyone throughout the world carries with them "a bucket". That bucket is being filled daily with good though, kind words and deeds, and happy idea. It is the people that are around us that fill out bucket, but it is also the people around us that can dip into our bucket which can quickly empty it. It is such a great lesson to everyone, not just children. This ...more
Nicola Baptie
I have used this book to promote kindness and sharing amongst a cohort of reception children. Although the book is a sometimes hard to relate to, due to it being written for an American audience, the children enjoyed the concept and responded well to the ideas in a whole class discussion. We then implemented bucket filling, each child has their own bucket and they can put a star in their friends bucket when they have done something kind. This allows children to be less egocentric and recognise t ...more
Book Review SUNY Oneonta - Children's Literature 1 3 Jun 17, 2016 10:49AM

• How Full Is Your Bucket? For Kids
  • My Mouth Is a Volcano!
  • The Recess Queen
  • Words Are Not for Hurting(Best Behavior)
  • How to Lose All Your Friends
  • Just Kidding
  • Miss Twiggley's Tree
  • Those Shoes
  • How to Heal a Broken Wing
  • My Name Is Yoon
  • Hands Are Not for Hitting (Ages 4-7)
  • The Name Jar
  • Howard B. Wigglebottom Learns to Listen
  • Something Beautiful
  • One
  • Over the Moon: An Adoption Tale
  • Is There Really a Human Race?
  • The Big Orange Splot
Carol McCloud, a.k.a. the "Bucket Lady", has captivated all ages and encouraged them to become daily bucket fillers since her first book, Have You Filled a Bucket Today? A Guide to Daily Happiness for Kids, was published in 2006.

A graduate of Oakland University’s School of Education and Human Services, Carol has spent 20 years in education as a teacher, counselor, youth mentor, and early education