Start by marking “Fetching” as Want to Read:

Fetching

Olivia has just about had it with the popular kids at school. She and her friends have done nothing to deserve evil pranks and awful name-calling, but that doesn't stop queen bee Brynne from humiliating them on a daily basis. If only Olivia's classmates were more like the adorable dogs she helps her grandmother train-poorly behaved, but improvable. Wait...what if her torme ...more
Published November 8th 2011 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Fetching, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Fetching

Start your review of Fetching
Hiba Ahmed
Oct 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, here is the SWBST -

13-year-old Olivia Albert is trying to fit in to Middle school with all her friends. All the kids make fun of them and pull pranks on them, but Olivia decides that it’s time they start taking some action. Olivia decides that maybe dog training the kids in her school to like them and not like Brynne, (the class bully) would work. Humans have a lot same traits as different dog breeds, so she just needs to train them according to their breed. Olivia and her frien
Ellicia
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Calling this book wonderful, doesn’t complete the thought. There are simply more words that this book beholds. Thirteen-year-old Olivia Albert has had enough of the popular kids at her school. She and her friends don’t deserve the mean humiliation from queen bee Brynne. Everyday, they deal with this kind of torment. What if the dogs Olivia train can help improve her classmates? Will the dog training techniques on their classmates work? Find out and see if Olivia Albert and her friends go from ei ...more
Madyson
Dec 03, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
i thought that it was a good book
Small Review
Exactly what I was hoping it would be! Full review to come.
Katie Fitzgerald
I am a sucker for books set in middle school. I didn't have a happy middle school experience myself - as I think is the case for a lot of people - so I find it especially refreshing when these books take an honest look at the world of middle school students and attempt to translate those universally unpleasant experiences to fiction.

Olivia is our protagonist, and she lives with her grandmother, Corny, who is a dog trainer. Olivia's mother suffers from depression and is in the hospital, and her d
Mackenzie H.
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
by Keira Stewart
Realistic Fiction
296 pages

Fetching is a fictionous tale told from Olivia, an eighth grader at Hubert C. Frost Middle School. Olivia encounters many events inluding popular girls, new friendhips, and dogs. The teen lives with her crazy dog trainer, and grandmother Corny because her parents seperated. Olivia divides the many groups in middle school into categories according to the way they act, for example the toy breeds which are the populars. Even though Olivia is the und
Karla Nellenbach
Aug 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Summary:

Brynne Shawnson is the meanest of all mean girls, and Olivia Albert has had just about enough of her, the endless rounds of humiliating pranks and the incessant name-calling. Olivia and her friends have done nothing to deserve such treatment from Brynne and her legion of admiring fans, but that doesn't stop the queen bee from torturing Olivia further.

Normally, Olivia and her friends go for the try-to-ignore/duck-and-cover approach to dealing with Brynne's meanness. That all changes when
Megan
Sep 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 8th-grade-books
Claire
I started this book and put it down, not sure why I picked it back up... but I got interested and started to think, 'this might actually make a decent Middle school read aloud' then the story went sideways again.
The bullies in this book are truly mean, I think Kiera Stewart tries to justify Brynne, (horrible alpha girl)beautiful, funny and absolutely demonic, by painting her mother as card carrying crazy- it doesn't wash; I can find no motivation for her relentless pranks and attacks on her cla
Kathy Martin
Oct 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was a great story about the ups and downs of middle school. Olivia and her friends are tired of being the social outcasts of the school. When Olivia decides that they should try some of the techniques the her grandmother uses in dog training on their fellow students, they are skeptical but willing to try. And, all too soon, they begin seeing the positive results of their actions. The former alpha dog - Brynne - is now the social outcast and all of the kids are going through changes.

Olivia i
Pamela Kramer
Dec 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fetching by Kiera Stewart is a darling mix of middle school, friendship and dogs.

Olivia, the protagonist, is plagued by feelings of inadequacy since her mother's mental illness meant she had to be hospitalized. Olivia feels that she herself is a ticking time bomb -- just waiting for the "crazy" gene to appear -- when she'll be institutionalized also.

Olivia has moved to be with her grandmother, Corny, an eccentric woman who collects stray dogs, trains them, and works training others' dogs. Once O
Hannah
Nov 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“Fetching” is a great book by Kiera Stewart that I can really relate too. The main character, Olivia, helps her grandmother train dogs. Olivia, is having trouble with the popular girls at school, Brynne and her crew. They are calling her and her friends names as well as playing evil pranks on them. Olivia and her friends meet one day to discuss what they can do about Brynne. They come up with a plan to train their schoolmates like dogs. Reward them when they are good, scold them when they are ba ...more
London Ortega-Schmidt
Fetched by Kiera Stewart was a different and interesting book. Olivia who is with a group of unpopular people all of the sudden become popular. But this is because they use an unpopular method to get everybody to like them. Olivia who is the main character owns tons of dogs and lives with her grandmother named Corny. She used a method to get popular the same way she would get the dogs to like her. This is interesting.
I really liked this book because the author was creative with how she wrote t
Erin
May 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Olivia and her friends are tired of being at the bottom of the middle school food chain. They constantly get picked on, especially by the most popular girl in school, Brynne. Olivia's grandma is a dog lover and dog trainer and she often assists her grandma during training sessions. Olivia gets the crazy idea to employ dog training tactics on her middle school classmates..and it actually works! All of a sudden Brynne is no longer the alpha dog and Olivia's friends are the popular crowd. Now that ...more
Lisa Nocita
Summary from Amazon
Olivia has just about had it with the popular kids at school. She and her friends have done nothing to deserve evil pranks and awful name-calling, but that doesn’t stop queen bee Brynne from humiliating them on a daily basis. If only Olivia’s classmates were more like the adorable dogs she helps her grandmother train—poorly behaved, but improvable.

Wait...what if her tormentors' behavior actually could be modified using the same type of training that works on dogs? Olivia and
Isabella Procopio
Nov 30, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fetching, by Kiera Stewert, is about a girl who is already having trouble at school, and it's only the first day. Olivia has been bullied by Brynne Shawson, the mean, perfect president of the school. Everyone wanted to be her. But Olivia has seen the horrible side to her. Olivia and her friends had an idea, a way to deal with the bullies. They tried "dog training" with the bullies. That is just trouble waiting to happen.

I actually enjoyed this book. It was pretty interesting to see dog training
Charlotte
I would enthusiastically recommend this book to all my upper elementary reading groups and class book clubs. Fetching is a funny, emotional, sometimes silly story of 5 friends that are done being bullied. The social issues dealt with in Fetching are real and kids ages 10-14 will easily relate. The actual bullying that occurs in Fetching might be somewhat extreme, but the emotions and reactions of Olivia and her friends, as well as Brynne's are definitely not. While Olivia's group finds a very un ...more
Kat Ebeyer
Dec 17, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fetching was a really good book. It was very realistic, especially since the main characters are eighth graders, and many of the students at STMS experience bullying, which is the main topic of this book. A mean girl keeps pulling awful pranks on Olivia (the main character) and her friends. Both Olivia and her friends want it to stop, so they concoct a plan to use dog training techniques to "re-train" the brains of Brynne (mean girl) and her little minion army. However, Brynne's life practically ...more
Don't_Trot_and_Text
A descent, well-paced book that has a whimsical plot. I liked the creative plan of Olivia and her friends using dog training methods on the nasty, mean kids that tease Olivia's group. A lot can happen in Middle school, it seems and that's what Olivia and her buddies have shown. I thought that it was a fun read that was written creatively. Not my favorite book, I'm not really even sure why i picked this up at Barnes and Noble. i guess the cover kind of drew me in. I like animal stories, but this ...more
Jeff Raymond
Oct 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I didn't think I'd really enjoy this book much when it was handed to me. It's sort of a mean girls story with a twist - a girl decides she's going to use dog training techniques to condition the rest of the class to like her and her friends and maybe even win the class presidency.

It's a silly premise, but it surprisingly works. A good fun read, and a different take on a somewhat tired basic premise.
Danette
Feb 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
As far as a middle school story, it was good although at 44, I'm not exactly the target audience, and I'm sure I don't even know what's good to a 12 year old. As a dog trainer though, this was all over the place. Sometimes they used positive dog training techniques and sometimes not at all. A bit confusing on the dog training. I wouldn't want someone using this book as a dog training guide but for a nasty 13 year old it's just fine.
Sarah Sharp
I think i am too old for this book. I LOVE dogs and i found this at goodwill and read the inside and thought it was a very interesting concept. Now that I've read it, It strikes me as a middle school version of the movie MEAN GIRLS. Same concept really, just equated the kids with dogs rather than wild animals (like in the movie). A little boring for me. I think i would have enjoyed this more if i would have read in high school for sure.
Lindsey Balk
Jul 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This one of the best realistic fiction books I've ever read. I'm not huge into realistic fiction, but this book kept the pages turning all night long. Tell your daughters who are going into 8th grade or who are in middle school (preferably 7th-8th) to read this book. I'm sure they will be able to relate to something in it.
Naomi Oyegue
Feb 10, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I THINK THAT THIS BOOK IS VERY CLEVER. THE REASON I THINK THIS IS BECAUSE IT TELLS AND TEACHES US THAT ANYTHING IS POSSIBLE. YES A LOT OF PEOPLE GET BULLIED AND SOMETIMES THEY DON'T STAND UP FOR THEMSELVES. BUT THIS BOOK SHOWS US THAT IF YOU GET BULLIED YOU SHOULD ALWAYS HAVE A PLAN TO PAY THEM BACK WHEN THEY LEAST EXPECT IT. THIS BOOK SHOWS SELF CONFIDENCE AND BRAVERY AND A LITTLE ROMANCE
Kari
Jan 04, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reminded me of the books I loved to read as a young teenager. I bought it because of the dog theme, but unfortunately, the training described here is based on the disproven and outdated dominance theory that dogs need people to be pack leaders. None of the scenes of actual dog training rang true to me.

But the dynamics of eighth grade? That part was dead on.
Kimberli
Jan 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is so adorable! I love the idea of little ol nerds training the alpha pack to be nice. Of course the story is not totally believable, but it is cute and has a good ending that will give nerds the strength to hold their heads up high when they walk the halls in school.
Anya Lasagna
I stopped mid-book because I kept needing to put the book down and think, "What in the world am I reading?" The beginning was ridiculous and kinda stupid. I do not recommend this book. But, on the bright side, the cover is really adorable! :D (which was the reason I picked the book out.)
Lauren
May 23, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Story that follows a girl who trains dogs with her grandmother. She is tired of being treated terribly at school. So she trains the most popular girls, using dog training techniques, to follow her....
Er
Aug 04, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really fun and cute book about a teenage girl finding her inner power. I enjoyed it as a grown-up and have recommended it to my teenage nieces. I can't wait for her next book to come out to see what this budding author has in store for us.
Beth
Apr 20, 2011 marked it as abandoned
The characters were not memorable and the dog training techniques mentioned in the book felt like a regurgitated episode of The Dog Whisperer.

• Orphan Island
  • The True Meaning of Smekday
  • The Penderwicks: A Summer Tale of Four Sisters, Two Rabbits, and a Very Interesting Boy (The Penderwicks #1)
  • Esperanza Rising
  • It's My Life
  • Fish in a Tree
  • Fever 1793
  • The Prince and the Dressmaker
Kiera Stewart is a writer for teens and tweens. Her qualifications include never having gotten wisdom teeth, and having the same best friend since eighth grade.

Kiera is the author of three novels: FETCHING; HOW TO BREAK A HEART; and THE SUMMER OF BAD IDEAS. You can learn more and connect with Kiera at www.kierastewart.com.

News & Interviews