Start by marking “A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)” as Want to Read:
A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)

A Night to Surrender

(Spindle Cove #1)

3.77  ·  Rating details ·  19,381 ratings  ·  1,616 reviews
Welcome to Spindle Cove, where the ladies with delicate constitutions come for the sea air, and men in their prime are... nowhere to be found. Or are they?

Spindle Cove is the destination of choice for certain types of well-bred young ladies: the painfully shy, young wives disenchanted with matrimony, and young girls too enchanted with the wrong men; it is a haven for those
Mass Market Paperback, 372 pages
Published August 30th 2011 by Avon

·  19,381 ratings  ·  1,616 reviews

Start your review of A Night to Surrender (Spindle Cove, #1)
Karla
Oct 14, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: unsuspecting friends and enemies
Shelves: ebook
I thought I was being so cute when I took a GR buddy up on a dare to read this one if she would read Led Astray by a Rake by Sara Bennett. We're not exactly sure who got the short end of the stick in this affair. I think the Bennett book probably has bigger font, so I got shafted this go-round. When we meet next time, GR Buddy, it will be YOU at a disadvantage.

As I read this, I thought it was a lot like a Doris Day-Rock Hudson comedy, except in costumes and with little of the wit and charm and a
Carmen
Feb 24, 2018 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No One
Recommended to Carmen by: Sam (AMNReader)
If a woman's intellect was in any way analogous to her undergarments, men should thrill to see it revealed. Strangely enough, Susanna had never known it to work that way.

I hated this book. Absolutely despised it. And spent the whole time wondering what was wrong with me.

I should delight in Dare's little protofeminist who sets up a haven for girls/women that's managed to set itself outside of the patriarchy. And I can tell Dare is trying REALLY HARD here. But she's completely failing. I didn't li
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)

*4.5*

Wow, this book marks a momentous occasion for me: I finally found a M/F historical romance that I could fall in love with!

I get it now, folks, I get it. I finally understand why people read those books with the old-fashioned, bosomy women on the cover, embraced with some semi-naked man.

A lot readers get into romance through different ways. Many of my friends cut their teeth on historical romance or harlequin romances. I, however, found my way to romance through urban fantasy. Though I've t
UniquelyMoi ~ BlithelyBookish

Keepin' this short...

A Night to Surrender is the first book in Tessa Dare's Spindle Cove series, and a funny, sexy, poignant story! And when I say funny, I mean laugh-out-loud funny! Bram and Susanna are wonderful people who captured my heart, and I couldn't get enough of them. But truth be told, the entire cast of characters is so intriguing, so compelling, so in need of happily ever afters, that I absolutely must read their stories, too.

Honestly, stories like this is why historical romance is
Shin Mon Thway
I admit that I am a hopper. 😂 That’s why although this book is the first in the series, I listened to the fourth book, “Any Duchess Will Do” first. And needless to say, I’m sure that is my favorite book in the series. 😌 That being said, although this book isn’t that heavy on humor as the fourth one, I loved the story of Bram and Suzanna just as fiercely. 😍 No wonder Tessa Dare’s books sell well because she really has that particular and unique sense of witty humor and the ability to make her re ...more
Jilly
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Dear book,

If you are swept away by the romantic beauty of the Regency Era, and can allow yourself to forget all about the fact that everyone probably smelled terrible, there were no toilets, and most of us would have probably been stuck being a poor servant or wife of a dirt farmer and died early from something stupid like an infected hangnail..... this book is for you.

Like all good romances, it all starts with a harmless little sheep-bombing. Bloody sheep - always in the road. What's a good mil
Jill
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it

All he's ever been and all he's ever wanted to be is a soldier. At twenty-nine Lieutenant Colonel Victor Bramwell of the British army is too young to retire. A lead ball damaged his knee eight months ago, and Bram now faces the prospect of having to resign his commission. Visiting Sir Lewis Finch at Spindle Cove is Bram's last hope that he might regain his field command. When Sir Lewis acknowledges that Bram's knee is not up to coping with the demands of being an infantry officer, he offers Bram
Catherine
"We have to get out of here, Bram. Before they take our bollocks and use them for pincushions."

Bram made his way to the nearest wall and propped one shoulder against it, resting his knee. Damn, that climb had been steep. "Let me understand this," he said, discreetly rubbing his aching thigh under the guise of brushing off loose dirt. "You're suggesting we leave because the village is full of spinsters? Since when do you complain about an excess of women?"

"These are not your normal spinsters. The
Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮
Mar 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Dino-Jess ✮ The Book Eating Dinosaur ✮ by: Joanita
Where has historical romance been all my life?

Seriously, you guys? Why did no one tell me how amazing it can be?

This book was magical.

I LOVED IT.

Bram. Oh! You stupid, stubborn idiot. I love you. I'd let you ravage me any day. Loves. Get in the man-dungeon.

Susanna. A woman after my own heart. She is doing her part to help women who don't fit the mold that society wants to put them in, be themselves and escape the horrific "cures" that those in the medical world want to inflict upon them. She's
Sara
Spindle Cove has become a haven for women of a 'delicate' nature, those hoping to escape the strict societal rules of the time and embrace their passions for books, shooting or even geology without fear of repreave. With no men in the village, they're free to be themselves. And all of this is thanks to Susanna Finch, daughter of the local lord. So when this quiet haven is invaded by an injured Lieutenant, his rakish cousin and squad of men, Susanna is less than pleased. Together sparks fly, and ...more
Warda
Jul 22, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I mean, I devoured this within a few hours. What do I even say about Tessa Dare at this point?

• She writes the most perfect historical/romance fiction.
• I’m too damn happy and content when I read her books.
• Her men have me dying.
• Her female characters are fierce goddesses.
• She touches and deals with historical issues in the best way possible.
• I’m in swoons-ville each bloody time.

When I started reading her books, I’d no idea I would become such a fan of her work.
I’m definitely on a miss
♥Rachel♥
Sep 01, 2015 rated it really liked it
Tessa Dare continues to dazzle! No formal review just a few of my favorite quotes which (fair warning) are spoilery:

"Susanna fair. I want to hear you say you're mine."
She framed his face in her hands and looked him in the eye. "I'll say this. I claim sole possession of my body, my heart, and my soul. And tonight, I choose to share them all with you."

The word "like" did not communicate an unspoken connection of similar minds, or an obsessive attention to freckles. It certainly didn't encompass th
Riley
Jul 12, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: romance
well it had to happen eventually.
this is the 6th book by tessa dare I have read and the first one I have disliked.

Most of her books have a really cute plot and meet cute but this one was basically summed up as guy comes into town and there's a pretty girl and ??? thats it.

The plot was super boring.

But the love interest was the worst part. He was so insufferable. His masculinity was so fragile that tea and pastries threatened it. The whole book was basically him banging on his chest yelling "
Shawna
4 ½ stars – Historical/Regency Romance

Another satisfying, steamy read from Tessa Dare and a great start to a promising new series! I loved the unique storyline, quaint setting, humor, quirky secondary characters, and especially the passionate, fun, and believable romance between a gruff, alpha military hero and spirited spinster heroine, who were perfectly suited for each other and totally combustible together.

I can't wait for the next book, A Week to Be Wicked, to come out! 4 ½ stars!
Carol
4 stars. Audiobook.
Historical Romance.

The first in the series and this is now the third one that I have read .
Reading them out of order, I had missed the introduction to characters from her second book "A Week to be Wicked"(an hysterically hilarious read) and this book is also an amazing set up for the series.

Spindle Cove is the destination of choice for certain types of well-bred young ladies: the bookish, the shy, the heartbroken or misunderstood. It's a haven for young women who don't quit
Anne Boleyn's Ghost
4.5 stars. Loved it so, so, SO MUCH. It inspired the gushing. The sighing. The laughing aloud. Especially the laughing.

It is difficult for me to provide a coherent synopsis when all I want to do is gush. Gush about Spindle Cove, where unconventional young women convene. Gush about the de facto leader, Susanna. The daughter of an absent-minded inventor, Susanna channels hurt from her father’s neglect into caring for the community, and I gush over her intelligence and resourcefulness and strength.
mich
This book was SO CUTE! It was really funny too, I cracked up several times, like momentary uncontrollable laughing. The humor was great and the best thing about this book to me.

I enjoyed the story and the romance as well, BUT, I can’t give it more than 3 stars cuz maaaan, somewhere around the 70% mark in my kindle, I just sorta fell out of it and became really bored. The tension seemed to have fled the story by then, and it felt like nothing was really happening.

I struggled to get back into i
edge of bubble
I think I went into reading this book with higher expectations then I should have, after reading my friends' reviews. I could have enjoyed the book more, alas, I couldn't find what I was looking for.

The book had lovely humour and made me chuckle numerous times. I was yawning in between the chuckles, but it's still worth giving it a chance.
Nadine Jones
Apr 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Wow, with this book I went from: (1) I don't expect much from this book, to (2) wow this actually isn't bad! I think I'll like it!, to (3) OMG I can't believe the suckage here, but maybe it gets better, to (4) I must stop reading, I can't stand it any longer.

At the start, I enjoyed this book FAR more than I expected. It made it to my list by a recommendation (can't remember from where ... Julia Quinn maybe?) but I didn't expect much. I'll be honest, the author's name sounds so made up and over-
Sammy Loves Books
Fun start to the series!

I look forward to reading the love stories of the characters introduced in this book!
April (Aprilius Maximus)

--------------------------------------------------

TESSA DARE DOES IT AGAIN
Addie H
On Kindle sale for USD 2.49 Monday 13th July, 2020

I am re-reading all my 5 star rated romance novels. There are 60 on my shelf. This is book 1 on that list.

(Tropes: Enemies to lovers, Wounded war hero, Spinster/wallflower (heroine also has scars)

This is how my 1st re-read held up.

description

************

Welcome to Spindle Cove! (nicknamed Spinster Cove)

- “I’ve no idea why this place is called Spinster Cove. It ought to be Amazon Inlet. Or Valkyrie Bay.”

It’s a village mostly inhabited and run by women.

- “
Anna lost in stories *A*
Out of all Tessa Dare’s books that I’ve read so far this one was my least favourite… don’t get me wrong, there were still plenty of things I absolutely loved and adored about it and I intend to read all of the rest novels in this series but… my main issue was with Bram… he was just not my type of hero… I don’t really like these arrogant and pushy types of men and he fell a bit over the line of what I don’t mind reading about… and unfortunately there were quite a few occasions when I just wanted ...more
Rachel (BAVR)
This book has been taking up room on my eReader for a couple months now because I just ... can't ... finish ... it. Reading about these characters just made me want to pull my hair out, which is sad because I enjoy Tessa Dare's prose.

SUMMARY:
Miss Susanna Finch is an unlikely spinster heroine who pretty much runs an unlikely little towned (nicknamed Spinsters Cove) with a group of unlikely spinster girls who like to live away from men as spinsters and be merry (and unlikely). It's explained that
Duchess Nicole
Yay, I found a new author to love! I swear, something about the historical romance genre makes the titles/covers/stories blur together sometimes. Within a few pages of A Night to Surrender, I knew this author writes a bit different than the norm. She managed to make me laugh numerous times. The banter between Susanna and Bram is a happy kind of back and forth and totally chuckle worthy.

So then I settled in with my cup of coffee last night to finish the book, halfway through and comfortable with
Lana *Lifeinwordsandlyricscom*
Oh my God, books make me bipolar, I swear. I only just cried from The Bourbon Thief and then I was laughing hysterically between the pages of this book, the genre of which I abandoned while still in high school.

A totally different set of 5 stars, but 5 stars nontheless.
Over and out
Sam (AMNReader)
Meh.... 2.5? Is this an unpopular opinion? Could be my timing and attitude right now, but it was just a bit of a miss for me.

I found this book amusing and light-hearted, a little slow and a little annoying.

-Bram felt like he was kind of traditional, yet accepts that Susanna has all these hidden talents and "manly pursuits"
-I felt like the sex was kind of taking up too much of the plot, as nice as some of that was
-The set up was just...silly. And the tension didn't really make me keep coming ba
Jennifer Leighton
Delightfully humorous! I haven't laughed this much during reading a romance novel in a while. Tessa Dare is now one of my new favorite authors.
Jamie
Nov 23, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own-not-read-yet
LOVED THIS!!!!

• One Good Earl Deserves a Lover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #2)
  • A Rogue by Any Other Name (The Rules of Scoundrels, #1)
  • Ten Ways to Be Adored When Landing a Lord (Love By Numbers, #2)
  • No Good Duke Goes Unpunished (The Rules of Scoundrels, #3)
  • Nine Rules to Break When Romancing a Rake (Love By Numbers, #1)
  • The Rogue Not Taken (Scandal & Scoundrel, #1)
  • Eleven Scandals to Start to Win a Duke's Heart (Love By Numbers, #3)
  • Never Judge a Lady by Her Cover (The Rules of Scoundrels, #4)
  • A Scot in the Dark (Scandal & Scoundrel, #2)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • Suddenly You
  • Brazen and the Beast (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #2)
  • Marrying Winterborne (The Ravenels, #2)
  • The Day of the Duchess (Scandal & Scoundrel, #3)
  • It Happened One Autumn (Wallflowers, #2)
  • Wicked and the Wallflower (The Bareknuckle Bastards, #1)
  • Scandal in Spring (Wallflowers, #4)
  • Cold-Hearted Rake (The Ravenels, #1)
Sign up for Tessa's newsletter and be the first to hear about new books and hot deals! http://tessadare.com/newsletter-signup/

Tessa Dare is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of fourteen historical romance novels and five novellas. Her books have won numerous accolades, including Romance Writers of America’s prestigious RITA® award (twice!) and the RT Book Reviews Seal of Excellen

Spindle Cove (5 books)
  • A Week to Be Wicked (Spindle Cove, #2)
  • A Lady by Midnight (Spindle Cove, #3)
  • Any Duchess Will Do (Spindle Cove, #4)
  • Do You Want to Start a Scandal (Spindle Cove, #5; Castles Ever After, #4)

Articles featuring this book

Lyssa Kay Adams' new romantic comedy, The Bromance Book Club , is about an all-male book club determined to find their own HEAs.
“No, Susanna, " he said. "I cannot love you just a little. If that's what you want, you must find a different man." His green eyes were breathtaking in their intensity. His thumb brushed her bottom lip. "Because I can only love you entirely. With everything I am, and everything I ever will be. Body, mind, heart, soul.” 60 likes
“No, no. Don't make that face. Every time I propose to you, you make that twisty, unhappy face. It wears on a man's confidence.” 51 likes