Start by marking “Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)” as Want to Read:
Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)

Shatter Me

My touch is lethal
My touch is power

I am their weapon
I will fight back

Juliette hasn’t touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette’s touch is fatal. As long as she doesn’t hurt anyone else, no one really car
Published November 15th 2011 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Shatter Me, please sign up.
Gabby I would rather stick live octopuses onto my cornea than read this trash again.
Megan I too LOVED this series and if you have a similar taste in books I recon you’d really like the ‘Throne of Glass series’. I have no words to describe m…moreI too LOVED this series and if you have a similar taste in books I recon you’d really like the ‘Throne of Glass series’. I have no words to describe my undying love for this series so you must READ IT…no pressure :)(less)

·  274,108 ratings  ·  27,917 reviews

Start your review of Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
Emily May

This is not a dystopia, it is a romance. This is not a novel, it is a collection of similes and metaphors, most of which do not make sense. I originally gave Shatter Me two stars because that's my sort of kneejerk reaction to books I don't like, but after thinking it over for a while, I can't recall anything positive about it that would justify a rating of more than one star.

You're probably assuming - correctly - that I went into this book with low expectations. This is completely true. Any
Haleema
I know many found this book to have a very unique writing style, but I can't help but think how terrible and awkwardly written it was.

The writing:
Mafi's style of writing varies. Let me categorize.

This doesn't even make sense writing:

"I catch the rose petals as they fall from my cheeks, as they float around the frame of my body, as they cover me in something that feels like the absence of courage."

"He says it with a small smile the size of Jupiter."

I'm picturing this in my head and it's not pret
Rachel E. Carter
MY PRECIOUS IS NOW SIGNED BY TAHEREH!!! I can die of happiness now <3

description

In case y'all didn't know, not only was this book optioned by Warner Bros as a movie, it has now been optioned as a TV SHOW BY ABC STUDIOS -with Tahereh as a producer.

description

This better happen. I am not joking. I am tired of great books (cough, cough: The Song of the Lioness Quartet and The Dust Lands Trilogy: Blood Red Road; Rebel Heart; Raging Star) not becoming movies or TV shows after they are optioned. Dear book gods (and I know
Val ⚓️ Shameless Non-Snowflake ⚓️
I deserve a medal for finishing this book.

Like, the Olympic gold medal in the Anti-DNF Games, people.

*Rant Ahead*

It took me three months to finish this book.
THREE. (Not 3, Miss Mafi)

Now, normally, I would have tossed this book out the window like an overwrought Silver Linings Playbook Bradley Cooper, being that I AM the queen of the heartless page 15 DNF; however, I find that I have a harder time DNFing something when I am 1) Reading a physical copy as opposed to a digital copy, and 2) When I a
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
Juliette describing Adam’s eyes

“...perfect shade of cobalt, blue like a blossoming bruise, clear and deep and decided”

“…careful, curious”

“… 2 buckets of rainwater; deep, fresh, clear”

“…blue and bottomless like the deepest part of the ocean”

“…tight”

“…as tight as his fists as tight as the strain in his arms”

“…bottomless blue”

“…blue blue blue”

“…midnight moment filled with memories, the only windows into my world”

“… always shining the darkness”

“…two pools of perfection, open, honest, humble”

“…a sha
Whitney Atkinson
Kat Kennedy
Shat­ter Me, oth­er­wise known as: When Cre­ative Writ­ing Class Goes Wrong.

I am all for exper­i­men­tal writ­ing, for stretch­ing your abil­i­ties and try­ing to find fresh ways to express ideas. Occa­sion­ally you end up with genius, but most of the time you result in pre­ten­tious, awk­ward prose that stick in the prover­bial craw of read­ers. This book is that writ­ing. There are plenty of exam­ples that I can give as evi­dence – but I shall stick with two rel­a­tively short ones:

“His eyes s
Shannon
I always wonder about raindrops.
I wonder about how they’re always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end. It’s like someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn’t seem to care where the contents fall, doesn’t seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to tap
Steph Sinclair
“I always wonder about raindrops.

I wonder about how they're always falling down, tripping over their own feet, breaking their legs and forgetting their parachutes as they tumble right out of the sky toward an uncertain end. It's like someone is emptying their pockets over the earth and doesn't seem to care where the contents fall, doesn't seem to care that the raindrops burst when they hit the ground, that they shatter when they fall to the floor, that people curse the days the drops dare to
Nick
description

You can find the full review and more about this book on my blog!

This was something...and I liked it.

description

Okay so the first 200 pages were like the dullest,cheesiest romance bullshit,like the level of cheesiness was above normal,and you know how I feel about that.I sometimes thought to quit,but god,I am glad I didn't.You know when you loose all the hope but then one things clings and you see the light again? Omega Point was that for me.Like my thoughts about this book changed 100 percent.There are 3

The Burning Rose (Jess)
4/5 stars.
The only reason I gave this book 4 and not 5 stars is because I really dislike Adam and Juliette as a couple.
Juliette “loved” Adam because he was the only one who was nice to her, the only one who noticed her when they were kids. It hasn't changed. He can touch her, and she- the girl who has never been touched, the girl whose whole life she wanted to feel loved- she “fell in love” with him.
Now, I'm pretty sure she's confused between love and this new feeling she loves, the feeling that
Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin

I’m unhauling this whole series and canceled my preorder of the new book. I’m changing my views and cleaning house. Sucks these books look damn good on the bookshelf though!! I will always love Warner though.

Picture by George Redhawk

Mel 🖤🐶🐺🐾
shady boots | #WatchPOSE
By the way, check out this fan made poster for the movie, if there ever was one.

Made by skellingt0n on deviantART.

I looove it! Exactly how I would picture a movie poster for this book.

_________________

I read this book in one sitting.

For five hours, I read this. It was a school night and I stayed up all night. That's how much this book pulled me.

I know that there are many people who didn't like this book, some even hate it, but... Gah, it was just so awesome to me! It's definitely one of those bo
Virginia Ronan ♥ Herondale ♥
I seriously don’t know why it took me so long to dig my claws into this book, but I definitely know that I don’t regret doing it! ;-)

“Shatter me” was an awesome read and I enjoyed it immensely! There were so many things I loved about this book and whilst it is true that many people complained about the writing style, I have to admit that I actually loved it.

“Hope is hugging me, holding me in its arms, wiping away my tears and telling me that today and tomorrow and two days from now I will be ju
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
(2.5?) The lack of world building is one of my main issues with this book (even though it seems like things will be explained in book 2... a full book with little world building is boring!).
I didn't love the writing and the characters felt very one dimensional.

Kinda felt like another YA dystopian world with a love triangle and an incredibly pretty main character - even after spending over 6 months isolated, underfed... and the fact that she hasn't seen herself in the mirror in 3 years... Her bea
may ➹
usually I am nostalgic and like to look back on the past to see how much I’ve grown, but this review was just..... so embarrassing. I want to sink in a hole every time I get a notification that someone liked this in 2020. so! I would like to keep just these two lines from 2017:

- my first reaction when I finished the book was: thank god it’s over
- “He says it with a small smile the size of Jupiter.”—Jupiter is not small... Jupiter is the largest planet in our solar system......

// buddy read with
Zemira (Kylo Ren fangirl) Warner
[image error]

How awesome was this book? Well,I am going to tell you. Pretty darn awesome!

I am not very good at convincing people to read the books I loved so I am going to write this review without any pressure.

Here are some arguments:

1. if you are (like myself) a fan of X-Men,you will love it,or else...

2. If you are (like myself) a fan of strong and smart leading character like Juliet,you will love it.

3. If you are (like myself) a fan of totally shagable and caring guy like Adam,you wil
❄️Nani❄️
Oh, Juliette, SHUT THE FUCK UP ALREADY.

Insufferable whiny bitch.
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink
Jun 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Recommended to Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink by: Harriet
Shelves: dystopian-scifi
MKAY. First of all. I actually liked this but I must rant.. I must... then I promise to go to book 2 immediately.

WHY. WHYWHYWHYWHY.

I swear, if the writing hadn’t been so awkwardly aghhh… this book would have been a 4 star book. No, it was not just the strikeouts and crazy reputations. It wasn’t even the unfinished sentences.

Please please please explain to me how you come up with sentences like this…

“He’s so wrong he’s so wrong he’s more wrong than an upside-down rainbow”

or

Warda
Aug 24, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lia (booksnpenguins)
This is gooooooooood.
2GH9g4p.gif

banner-di-bobi.jpg

I'm not giving it 5 stars because, even if I admire the shit out of the author's style and talent, the writing is a bit too pretentious at times (hyperbole thy name is Tahereh Mafi), and I really don't care much about the whole Adam/Juliette thing, which unfortunately, occupies a huge part of the story.
If you know me, you know I am a pro at ignoring ships that the authors clearly want you to root for.
I don't trust Adam and his and Juliette's feelings for each othe
Megs ♥
Oct 30, 2011 rated it did not like it
Didn't finish. I simply stopped reading this book today, and it wasn't because it was boring or anything like that. I just did not care for Mafi's writing style. The over use of metaphors and strikeout tools caused a constant distraction, and the book was just not interesting enough for me to want to struggle through something that annoyed me so much.

The book (well what I got to, anyway) read like a super annoying IM by a 12 year old girl that just learned what a metaphor is. Do we REALLY need
Nenia ⚔️ Queen of Villainy ⚔️ Campbell

Instagram || Twitter || Facebook || Amazon || Pinterest

It's not easy being Queen of Literary Trash. Between YA and bodice-rippers, I read more "bad" books than most elitist snobs will see in their entire lifetime. But then, I consider myself a connoisseur of the so-called trashy arts. There are two kinds of "bad" books. There are the books that tell good stories and while they aren't highbrow literature, they are still fun to read and if you can let go of your snobbery long enough to enjoy t
I am Bastet
Nov 21, 2011 rated it did not like it
This book is pretty darn bad. This book is pretty darn bad.

Oh, darn, did I miss the point of the strikethroughs?
Sofii♡ (A Book. A Thought.)
Re-Read (11/02/2018)

I enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. I missed the characters a lot so I spent a great time accompanying them in this adventure, I know that it is not the best book in the world and I know that alot of people can't stand it, but personally, even though I'm aware of certain problems in it, I can't stop loving it. Shatter Me is one of those books that have made me love reading even more and will always be in my heart. I can't wait to continue with my re-reading in prepa
jessica
Aug 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
pretty sure my most extreme opinion is: adam is, and always will be, better than warner.

never have i felt so strongly about something and i will defend him until my last breath. hes perfect.

feels good to get that off my chest. lol.
Jillian -always aspiring-
Feb 28, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Those who won't mind a character's voice built on pretty prose as a kind of coping mechanism
(Note: Goodreads friends and followers, you know me by now. You know that, even as much as I love a book, my reviews aren't always a resounding, "Oh my goodness, you need to READ THIS NOW! YOUR LIFE WILL BE SO MUCH FULLER BECAUSE OF IT!" I'm not that naive or arrogant to think that the books I love will be the books you love. Instead, my reviews are...chronicles of the experiences I had with books, and if that can help you decide whether certain books will be for you or not, then I'll be all the ...more
Christy
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Christy by: Rachel Reads Ravenously
4 stars!

Holy hell… this one was intense! Shatter Me has been on my TBR for YEARS, but one of my book friends/favorite book pushers insisted I get to it ASAP. So I did. This book was addicting. I listened to the audio book in 2 days and can’t wait to get to the next one. I have mixed feelings about what’s going on and I can’t wait to see what happens next! I find both of the g
Jessi ♥️ H. Vojsk

“Raindrops are my only reminder that clouds have a heartbeat.
That I have one, too.”

Story ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Juliette was in a prison cell for nearly one year trying to survive her life in a dark, lonely room. There was no one to talk to, nothing to read, to do.
She only had a small notebook where she wrote down her feelings, her thoughts. She poured her heart out into this pages. The guilt, the loneliness of never touching anyone.
But then she got a new cell mate. A boy with blue eyes, that she remembe
chan ☆
Mar 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, ya-fantasy
CONSPIRACY THEORY: WE ALL FUCKING LOVE LOVE TRIANGLES!

ps this is kind of spoilery sorry

yeah i said it. here's why: this book was not good. the characters were so bland, the plot SO unoriginal, the writing... such a laughable attempt at poeticism. so the only explanation for why people like this HAS to be the love triangle. it was... SEXY ya know???

adam, i mean WOW. a true STAND OUT and STAND UP guy. let's list the ways:
- BOMB tats (i mean, cmon are u swooning yet????)
- he LOVES her and can TOUC
YA Romance!!!: Progress #2..... 3 7 May 28, 2020 11:08AM
Warner or Adam? Is there really a "bad guy"? 79 1409 May 27, 2020 05:48PM
Coloring Books?? 3 23 May 20, 2020 12:22PM
YA Buddy Readers'...: Shatter Me (Shatter Me #1) by Tahereh Mafi - Restarting May 1st 2020 606 580 May 19, 2020 01:32PM
2020 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Shatter Me (#1) 7 43 Apr 01, 2020 11:35AM
Books with boys like Warner ?? 71 2151 Feb 18, 2020 09:39AM

• A Court of Thorns and Roses (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #1)
  • The Selection (The Selection, #1)
  • The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1)
  • Red Queen (Red Queen, #1)
  • The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3)
  • The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2)
  • Throne of Glass (Throne of Glass, #1)
  • The Elite (The Selection, #2)
  • A Court of Mist and Fury (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #2)
  • Serpent & Dove (Serpent & Dove, #1)
  • The One (The Selection, #3)
  • Shadow and Bone (The Shadow and Bone Trilogy, #1)
  • Delirium (Delirium, #1)
  • Clockwork Angel (The Infernal Devices, #1)
  • Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1)
  • A Court of Wings and Ruin (A Court of Thorns and Roses, #3)
  • The Shadows Between Us
  • Hush, Hush (Hush, Hush, #1)
Tahereh Mafi is the New York Times and USA Today bestselling author of the Shatter Me series. She was born in a small city somewhere in Connecticut and currently resides in Santa Monica, California with her husband, fellow author Ransom Riggs. She can usually be found over-caffeinated and stuck in a book. Shatter Me is her first series, with television rights optioned by ABC Signature Studios; Fur ...more

Shatter Me (6 books)
  • Unravel Me (Shatter Me, #2)
  • Ignite Me (Shatter Me, #3)
  • Restore Me (Shatter Me, #4)
  • Defy Me (Shatter Me, #5)
  • Imagine Me (Shatter Me, #6)

Articles featuring this book

As fans of The Hunger Games know, your enemies always seem to reemerge right when you least expect them. That's right, this month, Suzanne Collin...
“I spent my life folded between the pages of books.
In the absence of human relationships I formed bonds with paper characters. I lived love and loss through stories threaded in history; I experienced adolescence by association. My world is one interwoven web of words, stringing limb to limb, bone to sinew, thoughts and images all together. I am a being comprised of letters, a character created by sentences, a figment of imagination formed through fiction.”
6522 likes
“All I ever wanted was to reach out and touch another human being not just with my hands but with my heart.” 4335 likes