Start by marking “Counsel from the Cross: Connecting Broken People to the Love of Christ” as Want to Read:
Counsel from the Cross: Connecting Broken People to the Love of Christ

Counsel from the Cross: Connecting Broken People to the Love of Christ

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  341 Ratings  ·  35 Reviews
Demonstrates the why and the how of consistently biblical, gospel-centric counseling, whether in the pastor''s study or over coffee with a friend.
Published May 14th 2009 by Crossway Books

To ask other readers questions about Counsel from the Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Counsel from the Cross

Jonathan
Jul 08, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Love this book. When we counsel we declare nothing but Christ. It is a reminder, a coach and a balm to the hurting. The book closes with the theme of the whole work: "We would like to leave you with one last word, and it is simply this: when in your counseling room or when you're visiting with friends, pursuing a door of opportunity with t a stranger on a bus, wrestling with your heart's idols and unbelief, determine to know nothing except Jesus Christ and him crucified. Remember what the gospel ...more
Ali Wheeler
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I would give this book six stars if I could. Super practical and helpful, back to the basics of the gospel. I know I'll reference this frequently for myself as well as the college students I minister to.
Alissa
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
How refreshing to read a book with reminders of the gospel on nearly every page! I took to heart the notion to think about gospel declarations before gospel obligations when reading Scripture.
Joshua
Very practical application of the gospel to our every day life. Every bit as good as *Idols of the Heart* also by Elyse Fitzpatrick.
Tommy Ardt Jr.
Apr 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counseling
Having read one other book by Elyse Fitzpatrick, I was excited to read her again and dive into a topic that is becoming increasingly necessary for Christians, regardless of occupation - counseling. I have found that Christians in my generation are absolutely open to being counseled as they (and I) work through complicated sin issues. Fitzpatrick and Johnson do a nice job of driving home the main point of this book, which is "we are more sinful and flawed than we ever dared believe, but we are al ...more
Josue Manriquez
Dec 18, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: counseling
The gospel has become so familiar to us, that in many cases it has been relegated to a topic we consider only at Christmas and Easter. The other 363 days of the year are devoted to our deeds as demanded by Scripture. Even if we consider the gospel more often than these two holidays, our practical lifestyle reveals our focus is more on deeds than gospel. This is wrong, and results in a self-centered, self-love religion.

The authors say:

“When we lose the centrality of the cross, Christianity morphs
Mandy J. Hoffman
MY REVIEW:

This wonderful, gospel-centered book is all about how God's love impacts our broken lives. While the title leads one to think that it is about counseling others, there is much in this book that will resonate within the heart of the reader.

I enjoyed the entire book, but especially appreciated the chapters on how the gospel applies directly with our sanctification, emotions, and relationships. After reading other books on the topic of the daily transforming grace of the gospel, these 3
Feb 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book for a counseling class I took at my church. It was very edifying--I feel like this book counseled me! Fitzpatrick and Johnson continually point to the gospel as the source of strength, hope, and freedom. A lot of the truths in this book were not new to my mind, but became so much more true to my heart. My copy is full of my underlinings and is definitely a book I would like to revisit.

I also appreciated the distinction made between different forms of counseling--secular psychol
Lincoln Forlong
Jun 15, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a refreshing read tht putting real life struggles that people are overwhelmed with into perspective.

The writers have done an excellent job of showing how to assist people from a Biblical, Gospel centred point of view. It is an easy to understand read with a good number of pertanant illustrations.

Not only is this book beneficial for learning how to better help others, it is personally quite therapeutic and uplifting. Elyse and Dennis have presented a healthy balance between biblical truth
Sam
May 09, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elyse Fitzpatrick and Dennis Johnson write to encourage believers to live in the gospel. All counsel must come clearly from the gospel declarations and gospel applications (indicatives and imperatives). The book is packed with doctrine and great content. Personally, I believe this book could have been much shorter - the authors tended to repeat themselves many times. I wish they would have done a better job communicating who wrote which chapters. Also, in an effort to be engaging, artistic, and ...more
Rachel
Jan 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"Because of Christ's sinless life and substitutionary death we can confidently stand before the gaze of him to whom all things are 'naked and exposed' and to whom all people will 'give account' (Heb 4:13). On the day when we will give account, we will not be foolish enough to talk about how WE matured, how faithful WE were, how WE deserve glory. No, on that day, we will humbly fall before his pierced feet and rest only in his death and righteousness. We will receive the reward HE has earned, and ...more
Mike
Dec 01, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: theology, counseling
A very good explanation of the Gospel. It tended to lean toward the "throw a verse at the problem" kind of counseling, however. I was a bit confused by what appeared to be a required reference to the Law/Gospel hermeneutic. They mentioned that commands were Law and indicatives were Gospel, but then also said we should obey the Law of the Gospel. I was confused. But otherwise the book was good.
Susanna
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
EXCELLENT. Took me a while to work through it, but it definitely helped shape my thinking in regards to the counsel I offer others and myself. Just helped me on Sunday in a conversation I had with a friend!
Valerie Romero
Jan 12, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: vr-2016-tcrc
clear truth about how the gospel is the remedy... for everything. if you aren't sure that's true... read it. if u are sure that's true.... read it. i took this book slowly to chew on each chapter... lots of notes & highlights... a few new notecards for reminders.
Jacqui
When Elyse said this book was about counseling from the cross I didn't realize the book would counsel me! Man she just preaches the Gospel straight up through the whole book. It is very comforting and helpful. She pulls out common sins and explains how the Gospel answers them. Great stuff.
Andy Smith
A good book, but I think it has some significant weaknesses, most of all an unrealistic presentation of examples. However, as a reminder of the power of the gospel in counseling, it's a good one. Still, I would recommend Tripp's "Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands" first.
Brian
Sep 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2013, counseling
The counseling book I've been looking for. While there are other good books in this genre none of them approach the enterprise with law/gospel distinctions so well established and explored. One I will dip back into again and again.
Chad Reinhardt
Aug 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016
Great book at times seems to oversimplify the relationship between sanctification and works. I enjoy the idea of theologians of the cross taken from luther being incorporated to the book always a good reminder.
Jillian
Oct 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book took a long time to read because it was so good. I took a lot of notes. I will use what I have learned in my own life and whenever God provides the opportunity for me to share with others. One of the best books I have read.
Emelia
Very biblically challenging and encouraging at the same time. I highly recommend if you want to know how to make the cross the place you apply life too.
Stephanie
May 01, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I cannot wait to really get into this book. It is going to transform how I counsel people!!
Nathan Carter
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great book on gospel-centered counseling! It counseled me and hopefully will help me counsel others.
Othym
Nov 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent! The book forces the reader to think deeply about the Gospel and shows how it applies to every aspect of life.
Lynn Hendricks smoliak
This is such a great read. I was very encouraged by the way she presents the gospel in this book. Constantly reminding you where your identity lays.
Suzie
Aug 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for anyone in relationships with humans, ministry or counseling. But be sure to read the end notes or you will be misled on their philosophies on meds and therapy.
John
Sep 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very good. I highly recommend it to all Christians, but especially those who have been following Christ for some time.
Bauer Evans
Jan 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. In fact, I gave a copy to my wife, Linda, and re-read it with her. Her chapter on emotions is outstanding.
Ronnie Curfman
Jan 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Counsel from the Cross is a wonderful reminder of how the gospel continues to work its way into the life of the believer.
Clansmitty
Feb 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I appreciate the insights shared. I feel this author is passionate about her message, which is conveyed similarly in all her books I've read.
Ana
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent!
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • Seeing with New Eyes: Counseling and the Human Condition Through the Lens of Scripture
  • Addictions: A Banquet in the Grave: Finding Hope in the Power of the Gospel
  • CrossTalk: Where Life & Scripture Meet
  • War of Words: Getting to the Heart of Your Communication Struggles
  • You Can Change: God's Transforming Power for Our Sinful Behavior and Negative Emotions
  • The Christian Counselor's Manual: The Practice of Nouthetic Counseling
  • Quick Scripture Reference for Counseling
  • Relationships: A Mess Worth Making
  • The Bookends of the Christian Life
  • Rid of My Disgrace: Hope and Healing for Victims of Sexual Assault
  • Christ-Centered Biblical Counseling: Changing Lives with God's Changeless Truth
  • Counseling: How to Counsel Biblically (MacArthur Pastor's Library)
  • God, Marriage, and Family: Rebuilding the Biblical Foundation
  • Manhood Restored: How the Gospel Makes Men Whole
51983
Author of 20+ books on the Christian life and the gospel's impact on everyday living, Elyse is a frequent speaker at women's conferences nationally and internationally.

Elyse's ministry is summed up in these simple words: No fluff, No bricks, just the good news of a crucified and risen Christ.

In 1971 she married her sweetheart Phil and together they raised three children and are enjoying six real
More about Elyse M. Fitzpatrick...
“the Spirit of God can change a human heart. Only God’s love in Christ can make us grow in love and delight in him.” 1 likes
“Because he loves and welcomes us as he does, we are transformed in our relationships with others. Because we have been loved as a child or a bride is loved, we are now free to love and welcome others generously, warmly, and joyously. His love for us is to have a powerful effect on our love for others, and it is the only thing that will motivate us to love as we have been called to.” 1 likes