Start by marking “The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1)” as Want to Read:
The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1)

The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1)

3.8  ·  Rating details ·  1,767 Ratings  ·  214 Reviews
When John opens a letter addressed to his missing roommate, Kyle, he expects to find a house key, but instead he is swept into a strange realm of magic, mysticism, revolutionaries and assassins. Though he struggles to escape, John is drawn steadily closer to a fate he shares with Kyle—to wake the destroyer god, the Rifter, and shatter a world.
ebook, 1st Edition, 110 pages
Published March 8th 2011 by Blind Eye Books (first published March 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about The Shattered Gates, please sign up.

Evi N. It depends on what you think is suitable for YA. Are you talking 12+ or 17+? I don't really know anything about the violence or language content of…more It depends on what you think is suitable for YA. Are you talking 12+ or 17+? I don't really know anything about the violence or language content of this book- personally, that sort of thing doesn't bug me too much, but I know a lot of other people that would be- but I have heard that this series has no sex in it. From the rest of what I've read in reviews, I would think it's okay for... meh, thirteen and up, though it IS geared toward adults. In my opinion, it all depends on the maturity of the reader. Then again, I probably shouldn't be talking- I let my little sister watch Nanatsu no Taizai when she was ten, which probably wasn't the best idea. XD(less)

Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
What even is happening? I think I sort of love it, but I might just be confused.
Vivian
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Talk about a leap into the Void. This is a great start to a multiverse story with a healthy or rather, lethal dose of violence. Glad I got the heads up that this would be a cliffhanger, yes, it is a serial story. Prepare, clear your reading schedule to allow for binge reading. Now, I can go straight onto the next and I've got nine more before I run out, so yay!

2015:

Thank you, SS!
Shelley
Feb 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
If you are contemplating this series you would be best served to read my 5 Star spoiler free review here.

3.5 Stars

Okay.

This is something different and I think I might have just stumbled onto something quite special, or is it my initial enthusiasm and the enthusiasm of my GR buddies that's influencing me? I'm just not too sure yet. The Shattered Gates is part one of a ten part serialised novel and trying to rate this book is like trying to rate the first ten percentage of a long novel - doesn't s
Jun 06, 2013 rated it really liked it

I feel like yahoo-ing to the heavens! Look! Look what I found! A kickass fantasy with gorgeous writing, adventure, strong characters and mystery. Shattered Gates by Ginn Hale had me pretty much at first click with a mysterious key and a one word letter. BOOM! I was in. But throw in talking bones, witch’s blood, and gateways to other worlds…well….I’m yours forever!

“It was more like they just were there. Kind of like they could have always been here, and somehow we just never saw them before.”

I fe
Julio Genao
Sep 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: everyone.
Shelves: loved
This begins my favorite book of 2012.

...and all i can tell you is:

heezus chrahai, what a ride.
Breann

Fantasy and urban fantasy are my first book loves. These genres hold a special place in my bookish heart and I’ve never found a M/M series that can compete with those series of the M/F variety.

WELL, I FOUND ONE! RIGHT HERE!

The world building rocked my effing socks. This was so fast paced and action packed I was riveted from the beginning to the very end. I’m just left with so many QUESTIONS. Questions about this world they’re in, about why they’re there, who they are and who they shoul
Karen
Dec 11, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-mm
'The Shattered Gates' is book one in Ginn Hales series 'The Rifters' and it's the beginning of a 10 book (actually it's more of a 10 novella) buddy read with the lovely M'rella. So I'm probably not going to do a review for each one more of a brief comment and then I'll attempt an overall review after the last book...or at least that's my plan.

So book one is mostly an introduction to the main characters and world building. There's no hot smexy times, but for me there was definitely some confusion
Katerina
So then. This is something completely different. At least for me.
This is fantasy. Real fantasy at its finest. And Ginn Hale’s imagination is flourishing. Glittering, glistening, sparkling ... like this "The Palace of the Day in the Kingdom of the Night".

But the parallel universe is not colorful at all. There it's freezing cold. The trees are bare. The colors and smells too pale. And yet the story fascinated me from the beginning.

It's not a classic love story. Not at all.
There is no sex. Read: NO
Xing
Sep 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is a reread for me, and that makes it even more difficult to review. How can I pass judgement on The Shattered Gates (TSG), when it is but one small piece of a bigger puzzle?

I will just say this: TSG contains a lot of information that foreshadows what is to come. It sets the mood for a very dark and dangerous world that is parallel, yet different from our own. A lot will happen: good things and bad things. Yet despite whatever may happen, there is much to appreciate in the complexity of suc
Susan
Dec 29, 2015 rated it really liked it

I've been told that it takes a few books to get into this series.

But, nope...it took but a few chapters for me to get hooked. Kyle/Kahlil/whoever else you are...is my jam.

I NEED TO KNOW MORE!

Anyone who's put off reading this for a rainy day...STOP F'ING WAITING! Do not delay. I didn't think it would be for me. I don't even like anything magic'y/fantasy'y...and I'm obsessed already. The world building is CRAZY and the hints to what's to come too tempting.

And whatever is gonna happen between Joh
M
The word "epic" has been bandied about a lot lately. It's become a pop culture joke, lost its actual meaning in the overuse. I don't really like to use it. So, it has been ages since I felt the need to describe a thing as "epic". But by the gods of good books, this story was EPIC. Really, truly, out-of-the-Oxford-dictionary epic. I read the blurb and I kind of thought it might be a bit of a fantasy/comedy thing. Like, "haha, his roommate is a weirdo from another world". Oh boy, was I wrong. This ...more
Mel
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: genre-sff
OMG, I fucking love this book and this series. What I read, is just mind-blowingly good. Such a great fantasy world building, a plot that is so complicated and intriguing, you simply can't stop reading. Such wonderful characters.

I'm dying to know more, to read on.

But I won't.

In book 3, I ran into one of my hard limits: oppressive religion/cults/whatever. For personal reasons, I can't deal with that.

I asked a friend and now I know that this isn't a one-time thing in this series. I can't put mysel
Christina
Jan 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Terrific start! This book really packs a punch for being so short. It has great world-building and sucked me in right away. I enjoyed the first half a bit more than the second. My only complaint is that I wanted to see what happened when John and friends first got to Basawar. A lot of time elapses at this point and we don't get to see firsthand how they adapted.
Em
Apr 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
I'm so excited to finally start this epic series, it seems to have taken me forever to get here. After reading Ginn's Lord of the White Hell books, I knew I was going to enjoy the Rifter saga and its off to a very impressive start. I'm moving straight onto Servants of the Crossed Arrows!

Loederkoningin
Promising teaser.
Sheri
Sep 04, 2013 rated it liked it
Magnetic mystery. Considerable confusion. Freaky fantasy.

Let me attempt to clear the mud in my head and tell you what I think has occurred in this opening peek into the Rifter.
A pair of roommates barely cross paths and virtually know nothing about the other. John is scrimping to get by and panics when his roommate, Kyle, disappears after an awkward chance encounter. Assuming Kyle has skipped town, he snoops into his mail and stumbles across a mysterious key. This key is significant as well as t
Kaje Harper
Sep 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy, intense
This is a fantasy series, one long story told in ten parts. The main characters are gay, but it is only tangentially and eventually a romance of any kind. If you need that spark in your fantasy to enjoy it, this won't be for you. If you love long, well-written fantasy that puts the adventure plot first, then consider reading this.

John is an interesting, stoic and logical man, a loner but with a core of compassion toward others. He caught my interest right away. Kyle is more of an enigma, a man
Alexis Hall
Buddy reading with Kat.

I don't really have much to say about this one because it's obviously the first in a series. Although, weirdly, I'm not sure the serial format is entirely working for it. I mean, if this was the first 1/10 of a Very Long Fantasy novel I'd have probably felt fine about the fact it's basically asking me to be patient while we to get to the good stuff.

Whereas to me, it isn't simply enough that a serial end on a cliff-hanger. Every instalment has to be a satisfying experience
Jenni
May 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: lendable
I'm confused, but highly intrigued about this story, which spans two worlds, with one part taking place in current, modern times on Earth, and another part set on an old-world-like planet, time period unknown.

I enjoyed the beautiful, rich storytelling and world-building. I liked all the characters I met. What I'm unclear about is how it all fits together, who belongs together, who's good, who's bad...

I wish the story had included a solid ending, or at least been bundled to be a 250-300 page no
Maya
Jul 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novella, fantasy

My review of the entire series is here.

The Shattered Gates and the next novella – Servants of the Crossed Arrows - are perhaps the most confusing installments in the series because this is where Ginn Hale sets the world, introduces the characters, and intertwines a number of complex storylines.

While I found both of them fascinating and intriguing, for me the story truly began to unravel with the third novella – Black Blades – and this was where I completely fell in love with Rifter. While I wa
Dreamer
Excellent beginning to this epic fantasy. Always been a sucker for characters passing through gateways to other worlds!

Graduate student John has a mysterious room-mate Kyle who is actually from the world of Basawar. John opens a letter for Kyle (Kahlil) and comes into possession of a key to this other world.

'(Kahlil) had lied about his name, his occupation, where he had been, what he had done, how he came in, how he went out. He had lied in two languages and to every person he met. What he liked
Daniel
Nov 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, reviewed
*reading the users' reviews*
the plot's not focused on the romance
there's no penis
there's no sex

THERE ISN'T ANY SEX?

*me reading the thing*
the plot is mindblowing
the characters are smart, psychologically interesting, fascinating, sexy
not missing the sex
maybe the penis but that's my hormones' fault

NEXT!!!!!
DIS GUN BE GOOD!

[stay tuned for the casting]
Irina
Jul 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Irina by: Lena♥Ribka
Great start to this fantasy series.

Warning: don't expect any romance in this first instalment. It focuses mainly on the introduction of the characters and the beginning of their adventures.

***3.7 stars***

BR with Sofia ~ on to the next one
⚣❣☙ Michaelle ❧❣⚣
4.5 Stars

First off, I have no idea why this book isn't rated higher. No, scratch that, I think it's because this first installment only sets up the story. But what a story it is!

The world-building & characterization are amazing and I say this having only the most tenuous grasp of what might be going on. Definitely gotta find a way to work the next one into a challenge because I'm dying to figure it out for sure.

I've read other stories by Ginn Hale but honestly? This one blows those out of th
Cole Riann
Feb 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Impressive Start!

I've waited quite a while to start reading this, as I didn't really want to read it as a serial. On the one hand, having it broken up would nicely break up the tension that I can see slowly building already, but I just don't trust myself. I'll want to read it all and who knows what my crazy mind will be in the mood to read one month from now, not to mention more. So I waited, and I'm glad I did because I'm about to dive into Servant of the Crossed Arrows and I'm SO EXCITED!

I'm a
Rachel
Aug 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: m-m, fantasy
I am going to begin this review by stating up front that the fantasy genre is not my cup of tea. I am game for dystopian worlds and alternate universes where the world is built from the author’s imagination, but people are still just people - no witches, no mystical powers, no oracle bones that can talk and no time travel. Now that that is out of the way, I will state that Ginn Hale’s The Shattered Gates does not have me captivated, but it does have me intrigued.

Well written, spectacularly imag
Leanne
Mar 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Oh gawd. I'm bloody well hooked now, aren't I?
Brilliant world-building. Utterly gripping.

Off to buy book two. :D
Kristie
Oct 03, 2014 rated it really liked it
Been thinking about this since starting the second book. I'm confused, yes. Like, a lot. Still, this started so well and despite being confused and frustrated, I'm so engaged. This was a fantastic set up. An incredible start to what I hope will be a glorious ending. I love that I feel challenged just from reading this. Challenged to figure it out and understand what's really going on. I'm up to this challenge. I gladly accept it.

bring it on.
Lauraadriana
Apr 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
I can sincerely say I have NO IDEA what is happening in this story...But I do know that whenever I find out it gonna BLOW ME AWAY!

This is good writing, very good. I am spinning circles, have no clue what's going on...But I'm gonna read the second one. Because wherever Kahlil has to go, and whatever he has to do, I HAVE GOT to know how it goes down...Hell of an opener.
Vanessa North
Nov 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
I feel weird writing a review for one part of a serialized novel, so I'll just say I enjoyed this first part very much, will continue to read, and will probably write a full review when finished with the entire serial.
What will happen ...: BRIBES!!!!! (Extra Rifter Scene) 9 44 Mar 28, 2013 12:46AM
  • Dream (Aisling Trilogy, #2)
  • The Archer's Heart
  • Irregulars
  • Strange Fortune
  • Treasure (The Lost Gods, #1)
  • Mariner's Luck (Scarlet and the White Wolf, #2)
  • Kei's Gift (Darshian Tales, #1)
  • Tainted Blood (Tainted, #1)
  • Dynasty of Ghosts
  • The Lodestar of Ys
  • The God Eaters
  • Raven and the Wolf (Eyrder Saga, #1)
  • The Magpie Lord (A Charm of Magpies, #1)

Rifter (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Servants of the Crossed Arrows (Rifter #2)
  • Black Blades (Rifter #3)
  • Witches' Blood (Rifter #4)
  • The Holy Road (Rifter #5)
  • Broken Fortress (Rifter #6)
  • Enemies & Shadows (Rifter #7)
  • The Silent City (Rifter #8)
  • The Iron Temple (Rifter, #9)
  • His Holy Bones (Rifter #10)
  • The Rifter Book One: The Shattered Gates (Rifter #1-3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• These Vicious Masks
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Hundredth Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #1)
    $4.99 $2.49
  • Cruel Beauty (Cruel Beauty Universe, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Once Dead (The Rho Agenda Inception #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Door Within (The Door Within, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Harmony Black (Harmony Black, #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Cloud Atlas
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Galápagos
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Thirteen
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Mark of Fire (The Endarian Prophecy #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Star (The Collected Stories of Arthur C. Clarke, #3)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Season of Fire (The Remnants, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Dreamsongs. Volume I (Dreamsongs, #1)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • Lethal Velocity : A Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Glass Spare (The Glass Spare, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Haunting Season
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Season of Wonder (The Remnants, #1)
    $7.99 $2.99
  • The Second Ship (The Rho Agenda, #1)