Start by marking “Beaufort 1849, a novel of antebellum South Carolina” as Want to Read:
Beaufort 1849, a novel of antebellum South Carolina

Beaufort 1849, a novel of antebellum South Carolina

After years abroad, Jasper Wainwright returns to Beaufort, South Carolina, home of his unruly youth. Slavery and Sea Island cotton have made this summer seat of plantation owners one of the wealthiest and most cultured cities in America . . . and also the most hotheaded, secessionist city in the South.Jasper's cousin, Henry Birch, wants him to marry his niece, Cara, a pian ...more
Published February 28th 2011 by Cabbages and Kings Press (first published January 20th 2011)

Be the first to ask a question about Beaufort 1849, a novel of antebellum South Carolina

Anette
Feb 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Witty, funny, unpredictable and an absolute delight. It was well written and researched. There were so many different things happening in this book but it was very easy to follow. It held my attention for the first to the last word. I will definitely read more books by this author and would recommend this book to anyone. I love this book as much as I loved "Gone With the Wind."
Lyn (Readinghearts)
Jun 13, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: not recommended
Camille
Feb 21, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This was a book I won in a sweepstakes and not something I would usually pick for myself but I am familiar with the city of Beaufort. I really like this book!! The detailed descriptions of the houses and the scenery matched what I had in my mind. The characters of this book are funny, loathsome, arrogant, fierce, determined and down right Southern. I am not normally a fan of historical fiction but this book has definitely changed my mind about it.

Writing accurately and subjectively about the So
Karen
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads, 2011
In the historical novel Beaufort 1849, author Karen Lynn Allen paints in rich detail a portrait of life in the antebellum South just prior to the darkest chapter in our nation’s history. Jasper Wainwright returns to the city of his troubled youth following extensive travels up North and abroad, and he intends to only visit with his cousin a brief while and then leave. Jasper believes slavery is morally wrong and has quietly embraced abolitionism, a view not popular in a community and state whose ...more
Jackie
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jackie by: Karen Lynn Allen
This was a wonderful book!! I won this in a giveaway from Goodreads not knowing much about it and it was a truly wonderful book!! It is full of an old time southern romance mixed with family, and politics over the coming Civil War. I loved the manners, the old chivalry, and the old way of the South. Karen Lynn Allen has a wonderful way of developing the characters and describing the scenery to where I couldn't wait to get back to the book. I would say this book is for anyone who loves reading ab ...more
Peter
Feb 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beaufort 1849 is a wonderfully crafted novel of the antebellum South in the deepening shadows of the Civil War. Ms. Allen creates a vivid portrait of this period combining a love story with entertaining anecdotes and thought provoking dialogue among the main characters on what it would have been like living in this specific period of U.S. history. The characters are well developed and the writing moves the story along at a comfortable pace. I highly recommend this book to anyone interested in le ...more
Veronica
Feb 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Beaufort 1849 is a fabulous book that interested me from the very beginning with its vivid detail and realistic setting and characters. My favorite part of the book was the romance, although I also enjoyed learning about Jasper's past adventures in China. The slavery aspect added extra drama that helped me understand what slavery was like in South Carolina and made the book feel authentic. Overall, it was a very well-rounded novel because it had all the features of good fiction--strong plot, int ...more
Caren ~ the misfit geek
I was rather disappointed with this book. The cover attracted me right away and from the description I thought it would be something I would really enjoy. The reality was I really had a difficult time finishing it. I thought the plot was pretty weak and there were many holes in the story. The characters didn’t feel authentic to the time and place. I think I liked the idea of the story but the writing fell drastically short for me. My overall rating is 2.5 stars.
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2011 rated it really liked it
This book was a time machine sending me back to the South before the Civil War. The plot was strong and the characters were alive for me. It taught me much about life at that time and the feelings of southerners (at least the landowners). I love it when history comes alive and this book succeeded in that.
Liz V.
Jan 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Perhaps 3.5. This book is well written and provides a vivid picture of a Southern town on the eve of the Civil War. The depiction, however, of the pro-War contingent seems, on reflection, stereotypic. Wikipedia gives an estimate of 1,064,000 Southern combatants, a number that suggests the characters depicted in the book are incomplete.
Kim Galla
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: historical romance, historical fiction
Recommended to Kim by: sisterhood of the traveling books
I had a little trouble with starting this book, as it didn't begin to develop and pull me in until the quarter to half-way point. The historic content is believable. The characters and storyline were believable, although a little dramatic on some points and weak on others. I found the cat-and-mouse romance of Jasper and Cara, which could be called a romantic comedy, circa 1849, to be amusing.
Naomi
Feb 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Allen gives excellent insight into the "culture" of pre-Civil War South...I do agree with the reviewer who compared this book to Gone With the Wind because I find myself having some of the same "huh? WTH? Who thinks like this?" moments with some of the actions of the characters.
Jackie
Dec 27, 2011 rated it it was ok
Definitely not "Gone with the Wind". The characters in this book were weak, and the ones with a little spunk, such as Minnie and Spit Jim, we're not developed enough by the author to make you really care what happens to them. I did think about giving it three stars until the last third of the book. Then, I just found myself rolling my eyes way too much.
Erin Germain
The descriptions were amazing, and it was a nicely-told story. I think it was just an off time for me to read it, so I wasn't able to stay with it as easily as I'd wanted to. I'll give it a little time and come back to it again, and I'm sure it'll become a more popular read with me.
Bobbi
Mar 31, 2011 rated it liked it
I've been visiting Beaufort for over 30 years as I have relatives there and love it. I really wanted to like this book more, but the story was sort of trite and predictable. It's really too bad, because it could have been a good book.
Feb 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Knowing the city of Beaufort very well, it was interesting reading about what it would be like in the 1800's.
Ruby I. Baum
Jun 20, 2013
Donna Olson
Sep 17, 2018
Maggie Marconi
rated it did not like it
Sep 16, 2011
Karen Allen
Feb 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Bo Newland
rated it it was ok
May 10, 2015
Daniel Troy
Jul 16, 2015
Sisterhood of the...: Beaufort 1849, by Karen Lynn Allen 16 17 Jul 07, 2014 07:09AM
Jane Eyre in Beaufort 1849 3 9 Apr 04, 2011 03:03PM
Karen Lynn Allen lives with her husband and three children in San Francisco. An English major and a former engineer, she loves urban biking, growing her own vegetables and practicing tai chi. At the moment she is learning the cello and plays as well as your average eight-year-old.