Start by marking “Los ejércitos de la luz” as Want to Read:
Los ejércitos de la luz

Los ejércitos de la luz (Darwath #3)

4.07  ·  Rating details ·  2,866 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
En el exterior de la inmensa Fortaleza de Are, en el valle de Renweth, la noche en el dominio de los Seres Oscuros, unas criaturas monstruosas que han surgido como un enjambre desde sus arcanas guaridas subterráneas para destruir a la humanidad.
Dentro de sus pétreos muros, los escasos supervivientes del otrora gran reino de Darwath viven arracimados, y el canciller Alwir y
Published 1992 by Timun Mas (first published July 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Los ejércitos de la luz, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Los ejércitos de la luz

Libby
Sep 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This third book from the original Darwath Trilogy is so intense!

I think the biggest intensity is of course, the main plot line. It's unpredictable, changing, and complex. Barbara Hambly does not telegraph her punches with pointless foreshadowing and constant reminders. Yes, she's kept certain ideas or concepts or people alive in our memories but she has the delicate touch of a butterfly compared to most authors who hit you with such things with the force of a 20# sledge.

The thing is, for me at
Raya
Mar 19, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
as a continuation of the series this book was fantastic, but i found the ending to be to quick and an easy resolution in comparison to the struggles in the story.
Kate
May 08, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 2009, weather
I first read this series in (cough) 1986 at the age of 14 or so and it gripped me and scared me witless in equal measures. Rereading it as an adult, it doesn't scare me quite as much, but it's still a wonderful series with well drawn characters including one of the best gandalf-type wizards in contemporary fantasy, all the better because he is NOT infallible.

I think one of the best dynamics in this particular world is the uneasy relationship between the church and the wizard communi...more I fi
Wealhtheow
Dec 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Rudy, now a sorcerer in training, and Gil, who searches for the truth using very modern methods of scholarship, try to beat back the rising tides of the Dark. I'm still annoyed by Rudy and his giiiiiirlfriend Queen Minalde, and I've read the romance between Gil and Ingold before, in Hambly's Windrose Chronicles (different names, same damn characters). I could barely get through the first two novels in this trilogy, but the third book is far better. I adored reading the medieval response to Gil's ...more
Kris
May 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Darwath trilogy wraps up in this book in a very satisfying way. There is a wonderful twist to the resolution of the over all plot thread as well as the main characters. this last third of the trilogy keeps you guessing the ending almost up to the final page but does it in a way that does not pull you out of your immersion in the world. I feel that this is one of the classic fantasy series of all times and I really enjoyed this reread of a great series by a writer I enjoy a lot.
Marvin
Jun 09, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: autographed, fantasy
Interesting. I appear to have #1 and #3 of the Darwath series by Barbara Hambly but not #2. How does it reflect on a series when you distinctly remember the first and third book without even knowing or needing the second book? Oh well. Still a good fantasy series.
Beverly
Jul 06, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I thoroughly enjoyed the first two books in this trilogy and as this one went along I felt the same way. That is until the end when it seemed like the author didn't know how to do so. I felt cheated with the ending.
Filip
Sep 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, 80-s-fantasy
What a wonderful ending to the trilogy that tells of the tales of Ingold, Rudy, Gil and Alde!

If I had to describe this trilogy in a single sentence, I would probably say... "The question is the answer." Such a clever mind, Barbara Hambly has.

Full review coming soon.
Stuart Macmartin
The ending should have been obvious from the start. Great writing kept it hidden. Overall good story, but marred by occasional eye-rolling assumptions made by various players, and easy to put down.
Tess
Jul 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Joel Flank
Dec 12, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The final book of the Darwath trilogy picks up shortly after the disastrous events of book two. The wizard Ingold and his apprentice Rudy failed to find any answers on how to beat the insidious Dark based on secret knowledge in the hidden wizard city of Quo, and even worse, found the the archmage had actually been possessed by the Dark and had to be slain. Upon their return to Darwarth's last refuge, Rudy was able to use the various strange devices found by Gil in the bowels of the keep to re-cr ...more
Betsy
Sineala
Apr 14, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-books, fantasy, fiction
This is the last book of the Darwath trilogy (although I gather there are more books set in the same world) and it really did not go where I was expecting. Oh, they figured out what the Dark were, they figured out a way to fight them, and I thought, well, they'd go and do that... and then halfway through things got really, really strange and unexpected. It was very interesting.

The characters were, as always, very well drawn, and I blew right through this one because I absolutely had to know what
William Leight
Jul 19, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a perfectly satisfactory conclusion to the trilogy: the villains get their comeuppance, the Dark are disposed of in a way that makes sense, and Gil gets to show off her skills as both a researcher and a swordfighter. As I've said about previous volumes in the trilogy, it's in many ways a rehearsal for Hambly's later work, with themes and characters that are similar but less fully developed than those found in the later novels. Hambly's borrowings from other authors are the trilogy's othe ...more
Jen3n
Jun 04, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the third book in what I thought was, and what was written as, a trilogy. But, like other trilogies I could name, this one ended up with five or six books.

I only read to three.

I like this series, as I mentioned in my review of The Time of the Dark, the first book in this series. It is, for all in all, not particularly deep, though terribly escapist fantasy. I like it anyway. It has my favorite wizard ever in it. I like Ingold Inglorion better than I even like Merlin from The Once and Fut
Mark Austin
Jan 20, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
T
Dec 17, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recs-fantasy
I really like how Barbara Hambly writes wizards. Before I started reading her books, I'd been reading a lot of fantasy without magic or with other kinds of magic and I'd forgotten how much I like them.

I also think she's quite good at evil forces that are actually creepy.

She seems to have a thing about younger-warrior-woman/older-wizard relationships, which I can get behind except for the age difference part (e.g., in this series I liked both Gil and Ingold a lot, but them ending up as a couple
Liz
Jul 06, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f
Pretty good conclusion to the adventure, except I am still creeped out by the sudden development of a romantic relationship between Gil and Ingold. After so many pages of her being described as "cool" and "sexless" around Rudy, and with Ingold definitely described as being forty years older, it just feels weird. Partly it's because out of all the characters I identify most with Gil, and I don't find Ingold attractive in that way. Or is it wish fulfillment on the part of the author? Is Gil a Mary ...more
Douglas Cook
Jan 19, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suspense, fantasy

First paragraphs
WHEN THE WIZARD INGOLD crossed the Void between worlds to save the infant Prince Tir from the destruction of Gae, Gil Patterson and Rudy Solis tried to help him. But one of the monstrous, evil Dark crossed behind him, and they were all forced to flee back to the world of magic from which the wizard came. It was a world where magic worked and where the loathsome Dark were destroying humanity, after having lain almost forgotten in underground lairs for three thousand years.

Hambly,
Pam
Jan 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love this series. It incorporates the human fear of the dark, the dream of a world where even the most outcast of us can find a place, magic, high adventure, the heroes journey, strong characters, strong female characters, love, and more.

The conclusion in the series pulls the pieces together and leads the reader into a crescendo of action. What you thought you knew, you didn't. Your thinking changes as the characters learn rather than feeling you were not given vital pieces of information. You
Horus
Jun 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
The third installment of the series gets better and more grim. However, I still find that Gil never really ends up beings as fleshed out as Rudy as a character, despite being a great strong female lead. Even Ingold has more of his character revealed, even though his story is never told from the first person. More and more, throughout the series, the books have become about Rudy, with Gil as the second string character, which in my mind is unfortunate considering the great premise and development ...more
Ambre
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: other-fantasy
This was an "I can't go to to sleep until I finish" book. I was completely gripped from start to finish.

But I was disappointed with a few of the plot choices. Romance-wise, she chose not to use the only really sexy character she created. The love interest she chose for Gil was...puzzling. It made no sense to me at all.

And I was disappointed that, as a historian, the author never addressed the more complex issues surrounding the choice to exterminate a native civilization (even one that is tryin
Selene
May 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasía
En la conclusión de esta trilogía, vemos como entre los supervivientes de la torre de Gae surgen desavenencias y luchas por el control político y religioso, sobretodo cuando llegan las tropas del imperio de Alketch con el que se ha firmado un tratado, para ayudar a reconquistar Gae de los Seres Oscuros. El que los pocos magos que quedan se encuentren también en la fortaleza, no hace más que aumentar la tensión ya que para la Iglesia no son nada más que siervos de Satán que han vendido su alma al ...more
Julie Davis
Mar 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Well, of course, one doesn't read (or reread) the first two of a trilogy without finishing it off! And what a finish. As with the other two, I'd recalled the big picture but forgotten the little details that made this such a satisfying, and often surprising, ending to the story. If you've gotten this far you know what I mean. If you haven't, then get thee to a book provider and begin at the beginning. You won't be sorry.
Doris
Aug 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bibliophile
This was a solid ending to an excellent trilogy. The revelation of the Dark Ones' agenda was a good one. Ah, if only people sat down and talked to their mortal enemies once in a while. There's a lot of fighting and running around in caves, which was fun, but a bit too much romance for my taste (the May-December romance especially). I will try some of Hambly's more recent works.
Ami
Aug 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Thoroughly enjoyed the entire trilogy but this was the best of the three. I don't give hints but it is so different from anything I have read before with awesome characters that I either loved or hated as if I were there. If you like fantasy you will love this set.
Ryan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyed reading, but also relieved to be done. Satisfactory - adequate resolution balanced with whatever the opposite of adequate resolution is. I appreciated that, though it was the lasts of the trilogy, there was no equivalent of a party on Endor with Ewoks dancing.
Stuart Stanley
The book in the "coming of the dark" part of the Darwath series ties up the story, but of the three books is the weakest to me. The zealots and the power-hungry are evil theme got old. Still fun, but to me the heart of this series is still the Wall of Air.
Jaime
Dec 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Darwath Trilogy has been in my top five book series for as long as I can remember. I have read them so many times I could probably say the books from memory. The writing and the story are amazing. I highly recommend this to anyone who loves fantasy.
  • Saint Camber (The Legends of Camber of Culdi, #2)
  • The Second Book of Lost Swords: Sightblinder's Story (Lost Swords, #2)
  • Secret of the Sixth Magic
  • Six of Swords
  • Scion's Lady (Gil Trilogy, #2)
  • Harpist in the Wind (Riddle-Master, #3)
  • The Shadow Gate
  • Imperial Lady
  • The Master (Time Master, #3)
  • The Heir Apparent (Guardians of the Flame, #4)
  • Lythande (Thieves World)
  • Soul of the City (Thieves' World, #8)
  • The Paladin
aka Barbara Hamilton

Ranging from fantasy to historical fiction, Barbara Hambly has a masterful way of spinning a story. Her twisty plots involve memorable characters, lavish descriptions, scads of novel words, and interesting devices. Her work spans the Star Wars universe, antebellum New Orleans, and various fantasy worlds, sometimes linked with our own.

"I always wanted to be a writer but everyone
More about Barbara Hambly...

Darwath (5 books)
  • The Time of the Dark (Darwath, #1)
  • The Walls of Air (Darwath, #2)
  • Mother of Winter (Darwath #4)
  • Icefalcon's Quest (Darwath #5)

“God has judged me all my life. But that is God's privilege, my lady. Not yours.” 24 likes