Start by marking “Peace at Heart: An Oregon Country Life” as Want to Read:
Peace at Heart: An Oregon Country Life

Peace at Heart: An Oregon Country Life

3.69  ·  Rating details ·  36 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
In 1987, Barbara Drake and her husband sold their home in Portland and moved to a farm in western Oregon's Yamhill Valley. In PEACE AT HEART, Drake reflects on ten years of country living and on the happiness that this rural landscape has brought her. She combines gentle humor, practical advice, and deep respect for the work and the land.
Published September 1st 1998 by Oregon State University Press

To ask other readers questions about Peace at Heart, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Peace at Heart

Kathy
Dec 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Life on a small sheep ranch/vineyard outside of Yamhill, Oregon is not for everyone but the author's essays convey her deep love for the quiet lifestyle and her joy in the little things. I wouldn't want to stick my hand inside a ewe to help her deliver a breech lamb in the middle of the night but I certainly enjoyed Barbara Drake's humorous take on it :) Her descriptions of savoring their homegrown wines while taking in the sunset over the Coast Range on summer evenings ALMOST made me want to em ...more
Carrie
Jun 21, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I had the great fortune to have the author as one of my professors in college. I was fortunate not only because she was an excellent teacher, but because I otherwise might not have encountered this book. I read it once, years ago, and found it on my shelves again this Spring. It is a wonderful memoir and I encourage anyone who wants to immerse themselves in the successes and travails of the beginning farmer to pick it up.
Josie
This book was a gift from my sister, who knows that I hope to settle in the Willamette Valley with a large garden in the near future. It was perfect for a person like me, inspiring and contented. I'd highly recommend to anyone who enjoys a slow pastoral tale (or in this case, collection of short stories). Although, in the end, it made it clear to me that I don't want to own sheep!
Shannan
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: memoirs
Quiet and enjoyable story vignettes about life on a sheep farm in Oregon. Nothing flashy or terribly deep, but snippets of a peaceful and interesting life. As with all books like this, makes me want to pitch it all and go be a farmer.

"The warm light beckons from the barn on the hill. Being in it, with it. This is happiness. There is beauty everywhere and for the moment I am part of it."
Kate
Nov 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
Lots of sheep stories; sheep dog stories; stuff like that, oh yeah and vineyard stories too. This book came out in 1998. I'm looking forward to her new memoir that just came out Nov. 3. Got a hold at the library.
Jeanie
Sep 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic account of life and living in the Oregon country-side. Wonderful reflections.
Rachel
Sep 16, 2010 rated it liked it
It's not James Herriot, not as sappy you might say. It gives some concrete details to living a rural life in Oregon, a state to which I am somewhat attached. I appreciate her sense of humor.
Aria