Start by marking “Breaking the Ties That Bind” as Want to Read:
Breaking the Ties That Bind

Breaking the Ties That Bind

3.4  ·  Rating details ·  89 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
One young woman is about to learn what tough love is all about. . .

Thirty-three-year-old Kendra Richards just can't escape her reckless mother's endless requests for money that will never be repaid. Again and again, Kendra rescues Ginny despite the advice of her own father--a man who left Ginny and her cheating ways long ago. Kendra knows her mother is troubled--what she d
Published October 1st 2011 by Kensington (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Breaking the Ties That Bind, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Breaking the Ties That Bind

Gwen Babb Parmer
Nov 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
started off good but slow finish.
Authors & Readers Book Corner
Some say that family can be your worst enemy and in Breaking The Ties That Bind by Gwynne Forster readers will find out why. Kendra Richards is an employee at a well-known restaurant and saving money to pay for college. Kendra is pursuing a degree in communications. She has a wonderful relationship with her father but her mother is another story. Kendra wants her mother’s love so much that she makes bad decisions that she knows could hurt her in the long run. One day while at work she runs into ...more
Danyelle Scroggins
Jul 07, 2012 rated it liked it
Boy did I want to shake Ginny! This book will really stir up emotions and it's good to give your daughters so they will be grateful for all you do as a good mother.

I was talking to a young man on my job who said, "Grandmothers are in the clubs with their daughters because they thirty something and their daughters are twenty something. Everybody is looking for a man and no one is teaching the children left at home with baby sitters who are practicing how to become mothers at an early age just lik
Shelley
Jul 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Kendra is a 30-something woman, working a dead-end job at a restaurant. She desperately wants a career in communications and has finally scraped together enough money to enroll in college. Her main problem is her mooching mother, Ginny, who does nothing but beg Kendra for money and will go through any means to get it from her. As Kendra's career and relationship dreams start to come true, she wonders if she will ever be able to break free from Ginny or if she will always be holding her back.

I've
Brigitta Moon
Jul 26, 2015 rated it liked it
I started this book last night with high hopes. This morning I figured I would finish it. I made it through chapter five, flipped to the epilogue and let the book go. As I read I felt like I was hopping from scene to scene and time to time. The hops weren't smooth. I was drug along, bounced around. For instance plans were made in one paragraph for something to happen on another day. In the next paragraph you found yourself in that day of plans. Sometimes I wasn't sure who was speaking. The story ...more
Rosetta
Aug 03, 2015 rated it it was ok
This book had a very interesting story line. I liked the plot about the delicate relationship between a mother and daughter. I found that some of the activities of the mother toward the daughter were a bit far-fetched and unrealistic. The daughter's response to the mother was at times unrealistic and not very convincing. I struggled to get through the text as some of the language seemed not to be genuine. Many of the conversations between the characters in the story seemed disconnected. I found ...more
Menee
Jan 09, 2013 rated it liked it
Thanking God that I don't have a mother like Ginny. The main character in the book, Kendra, is trying desperately to get her life back on track after dropping out of college to only end up working at a dead end job. Kendra caught a couple of lucky breaks that put her life on that right track. Kendra's only problem is her mother Ginny. Ginny is a self absorbed person who feels like everyone, especially her daughter owes her everything she needs and wants.
Linda Boyd
For the most part this book was just okay. I had a hard time getting past the mother, Jenny treating her only daughter so badly and how Jenny felt like her daughter, Kendra owed her something. Jenny was so used to everyone catering to her that she felt like everyone should provide for her, she didn't want to work. It was to much.
Kianaw
Feb 05, 2012 rated it really liked it
Kendra Richards is a tormented soul with the favor of God upon her life. Like many of us, she has to make some conscientious choices about some people in her life. Those choices will either allow her to flourish, or solidify her demise.

Although there were some typographical and grammatical errors in this book, I highly enjoyed it and do recommend it to lovers of the Christian Fiction genre.
Nicole
Aug 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed this book. Kendra sometimes got on my nerves bc she enabled her mother at the expense of herself. Even though I hope that nobody will expectations mother like Ginny, it's still the truth. The manipulation, need to control and be center of attention is overwhelming. Not to mention the side effects of neglect. Many won't understand, but so many will.
Kira
Jan 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
This was one of the worst-written actually published books I've come across in a long time. I felt like I was reading somebody's badly put together creative writing class work. What can I say? It was available as an eBook at the library. >.<
Tynece
Aug 02, 2013 rated it liked it
Ginny kind of reminded me of the rotten twin in "Whatever it Takes." Although I enjoyed the book and plan to read more from this author I hope the characters won't all be of similar demeanor from book to book.
Didichan
Mar 17, 2013 rated it did not like it
not captivating
Isabel Wright
Aug 24, 2014 rated it liked it
Good book and easy read. The story line between mother and daughter may have been over the top but people who have dealt with family dysfuntion can relate.
Natasha
Aug 03, 2012 rated it liked it
Good story about how the ties a parent can have on you even when they mean you no good but your love for them make it hard to not let them mistreat and misuse you.
Martha
Dec 07, 2012
Verna Samuel
Aug 29, 2016
Kim
rated it did not like it
Nov 19, 2013
Karin Pittman
Feb 03, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Died January 16, 2015.

Fiction writing is Gwynne Forster’s second career. She holds bachelors and masters degrees in sociology, a master’s degree in economics/demography and has additional graduate credits in journalism. As a demographer, she is widely published. She is formerly chief of (non-medical) research in fertility and family planning in the Population Division of the United Nations in New
More about Gwynne Forster