Start by marking “It Happened One Season” as Want to Read:
It Happened One Season

It Happened One Season (It Happened One #2)

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  1,990 Ratings  ·  168 Reviews
New York Times bestselling historical romance superstars Stephanie Laurens and Mary Balogh, along with beloved fan favorites Jacquie D’Alessandro and Candice Hern—the four authors who brought you It Happened One Night—are back with It Happened One Season. Even more inventive than their bestselling first anthology, It Happened One Season presents four love stories set durin ...more
Published March 29th 2011 by HarperCollins e-books (first published March 29th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about It Happened One Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It Happened One Season

Megzy
The common theme was the younger brother, a war veteran, is told he needs to get married and begot sons because the older titled brother has only produced girls and they can't afford to have some reckless relative to inherit the title. I liked the first one the most.
kris
Sep 25, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four veterans return and are told they must find a bride and begat some kids asap. They meet four ladies facing another season without any suitors. 3.5 stars.

The Seduction of Sebastian Tranton, Stephanie Laurens
Sebastian Tranton likes to solve puzzles and hates to flirt. So he hides out in his buddy's library and runs into Tabitha, who has a puzzle that needs solving. After deciding that he'll a) solve her puzzle, and b) marry her face off, he convinces her to pretend to be engaged for the lengt
Katie
I shall give you 3 stars overall!

3 stars for the Laurens story. I, um, don't remember it very well at this point, but it was fun! Just not in love with the execution.

3 stars for the Balogh, too. Mostly, I remember thinking it would work a lot better if it were longer. Oh, and I'm not a fan of pining or instalove, which were combined here, but, uh, also at first seemed like she had been simply attracted to him five(ish) years ago, but then it turned to I'VE BEEN IN LOVE YOU WITH YOU FOR FIVE YEAR
Mary Gramlich
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
IT HAPPENED ONE SEASON
written by Stephanie Laurens, Jacquie D'alessandro, Candice Hern, Mary Balogh
03/11 - HarperCollins Publishers - Mass Market Paperback, 432 pages

To a soldier what is more dangerous the battlefield or love?

The Seduction of Sebastian Trantor by Stephanie Laurens: With his brother unable to produce an heir the responsibility of finding and marrying a woman capable of the task falls to Sebastian Trantor. A former soldier who loves the unexpected but does not love the Ton at all
Wendy
Jan 15, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I listened to the audio version with Anna Flosnik and Simon Prebble. Four novellas, a fairly fluffy, light hearted listen, with the premise of all four being pre-determined.

1. Laurens : as usual with Stephanie Laurens there was the irritating, bossy heroine and the overbearing, protective, know-it-all hero. The 'bedroom' scenes were identical to every other book she's ever written - I reckon all of her heroes attend the same 'sex school'! Enough said - barely scraped 3 stars

2. Balogh: even in a
Cathiecaffey
Apr 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It Happened One Season is an Anthology with the same four Avon Historical Romance authors that wrote It Happened One Night in 2008. In It Happened One Night, there was a common theme that the authors Stephanie Laurens, Mary Balogh, Jacquie D’Alessandro and Candice Hern created. Each author wrote a story about a proper young lady free from society’s constraints due to being stranded at a remote inn where she comes face to face with the one that ends up being her HEA (Happily Ever After). This tim ...more
Kimberly
Jan 14, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My review originally posted at Joyfully Reviewed: http://www.joyfullyreviewed.com/new-r...

A reclusive former soldier, the younger brother of a titled lord, must marry in order to ensure the succession of his family line. A shy or unattractive heroine who has never had a suitor. What do these plot points have in common? They were picked by readers to be the basis for the four stories in It Happened One Season . Four talented voices in historical romance have reunited to take on taken on the chal
Melanie
Jul 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I reviewed this book for Romance Reader At Heart.

RRAH's THOUGHTS AND PONDERINGS:

The first anthology from these amazing ladies, IT HAPPENED ONE NIGHT was so good that I was eagerly awaiting their second endeavor with IT HAPPENED ONE SEASON. With the exception of Ms. D'Alessandro, all the other authors are on my keeper shelf, and I had very high expectations, which, I have to be honest, were met.

As the blurb states, this book offers four different stories with the same plot line. All four of th
F.
May 09, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four authors come together to write four different love stories that happened during the same year in Season time. There is blackmail, war heroes,love affairs, and other action. The stories include: The Seduction of Sebastian Tranton by Stephanie Laurens; Only Love by Mary Balogh; Hope Springs Eternal by Jacquie D'Alessandro; and Fate Strikes a Bargain by Candice Hern.

A brief summary:

"The Seduction of Sebastian Tranton": Sebastian must find a bride after his brother had a fifth daughter and no w
Andree
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014
3.5 stars, but I'm in a good mood, because this is essentially an anthology of marriage/engagements of convenience.

Why are there not more of those? I would read the heck out of those.

Seriously, this is an anthology of younger sons of Earls being told by their older brother that his wife can't have any more children, so younger son needs to get married and produce a male heir post-haste.

Seriously, that's entertainment value in and of itself.

The first is by far my favourite. Because it involves a
Hilcia
This was an interesting historical romance anthology and as with many an anthology a mixed bag for me. All the authors stuck to the one plot line they planned to follow: The second son of an earl who is back from the war and needs to marry to provide an heir for the family because his older brother only has daughters. And the female protagonist who is considered a spinster, plain looking and has never had a beau or in some cases experienced real love.

However, even though all the authors had to f
Lisa Kay
★★★ ☆ - Overall
I listened to the audiobook; the two alternating narrators are Simon Prebble and Anne Flosnik. At first, I thought my lower rating on Ms. Laurens’ story was due to my discomfort in listening to a distinguished, elderly English gentleman narrating the love scenes; however, it didn’t bother me when he narrated Ms. D’Alessandro’s tale. Or maybe I had just become used to his voice.

The premise on this one is great. What would happen if the second in line to a title, inundated by niece
Dls
Apr 03, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mary Balogh piece was up to her usual high standards. The Candice Hearn was also charming. The other two were much less appealing. I haven't read Stephanie Laurens in years, and this book reminds me why; the heros and heroines are all alike, and they seem to ignore the conventions of the period she writes about. Its completely unconvincing that a society hero and heroine of the period, even when pretend-engaged, would cavort around the countryside for a couple of days in a carriage, and agre ...more
willaful
A pretty insipid anthology. The Balogh story is sweet, and I liked the pairing in the Hearn story -- a disabled, overly protected heroine and a hero with PTSD. The other two stories were too dull to finish.
Lady Wesley
Nice, but fairly meh set of short stories. The improbable set-up just didn't do anything for me. The best of the lot was Candice Hern's "Fate Strikes a Bargain," which was a moving story of one soldier's PTSD.
Ann Keller
Sep 08, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
Delightful combination of stories all in one book. Nice to see all four authors creating their own unique versions of the same basic premise.
Eleanore June
When I found this at the library I was so excited. 4 short stories about scarred and war weary men who must marry, and an unconventional heroine?! I'm in, I'm all in.
However...I was then let down. Way down.
Story 1 (by Stephanie Laurens): I just didn't like it, wasn't interested. The prologue was just terrible and the first chapter, while setting up the issue, wasn't much better. The heroine annoyed me. I moved on to the next story.
2 DNF Stars

Story 2 (by Mary Balogh): I liked it, but didn't lov
Joyce
Oct 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
Four Regency romance authors were given a specific scenario for a story. I was skeptical that I would enjoy this specific theme: a younger son recently returned from war is suddenly presented with the fact that he will be his family's heir and as such must marry and produce an heir ASAP. The female protagonist is generally perceived to be unattractive or unmarriageable and has gone several seasons without inspiring any marriage proposals. Four different, very enjoyable stories emerged. At approx ...more
Lissy Liz
Jan 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lovely short stories.
Book Binge
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-review
What a fun group of stories this book turned out to be. In this book, the authors all took the same premise and wrote different stories for them and I was mighty interested to see if they'd all end up writing the same story and I'm pleased to see that they didn't. Each story was unique and different and though I longed for more, when I closed the book after finishing the last story, I was content.

In the first story, we get Sebastian and Tabitha's story. In this story, they're thrown together bec
Nely
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: e-book
A reclusive former soldier, the younger brother of a titled lord, must marry in order to ensure the succession of his family line. The heroine is shy and/or unattractive and has never had a suitor. These are the underlying threads in the four stories you'll find that It Happened One Season revolve around. The fun part - each author uses this thread and the stories they weave are all so very unique and different from one another.

The Seduction of Sebastian Trantor by Stephanie Laurens - Sebastian
Amanda dalon
OVERALL 3.5

This book came together by 4 authors. these authors let their readers choose one theme (plot) for all four stories only told differently in each of the author's unique voice.

"The seduction of Sebastian Trantor," by Stephanie Laurens

I have always felt that Lauren's was a bit long winded, i frequently find myself skimming through most of her books. I do enjoy her work however this story leaves alot to be desired. the characters aren't believable, both hero and heroine seem very 'squared
Jessi
Okay. I liked all of the stories. But to have every conceit be the same? Younger son (no expectations of inheriting title) all of a sudden finds out that he is now his brother's heir because said brother's wife has only given him girls and can't bear anymore children? Fun one time. Four times. Thppt.

"Seduction of Sebastian Trantor" by Stephanie Laurens -- Sebastian is hiding in a library at a party to avoid the marriage-minded mamas and their daughters. He's even locked himself in, but someone e
Mo
Jan 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Cath
I can gobble up these types of books like big bags of M&Ms, especially around the holidays. Even though they all pretty much taste the same, you finish them off one right after another - and you’re a bit embarrassed to be devouring them so avidly - and it’s nothing you want anyone to watch you gorging on. They are one of my guilty little pleasures!

description

Here is a description of what you will be reading, taken directly from the book:

A Letter From the Authors

Dear Reader,
We had so much fun writing
Dwayne
Jan 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Reviewed @ Girls Without a Bookshelf..

I usually stay away from anthologies as short stories just make me want to pull my hair out. There's more often than not little characterisation, interaction and plot development to satisfy my reading curiosity. But actually - for this anthology, none of those actually mattered! I was surprised by how interested I was, as a reader, in seeing how one plot can essentially be carved into different stories. Plus, I love the premise of the said plot!

It Happened O
Jennie
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'll say upfront that I'm normally not a big fan of anthologies. Sure, there's usually one or two good stories from one of my favorite authors, but overall, I plan on about a 50% favorability rating. Needless to say though, when I saw the authors involved in It Happened One Season I was pretty intrigued...how can you go wrong with Stephanie Laurens, Mary Balogh, Jacquie D'Allessandro and Candace Hern?! Yet while I love all 4 of these historical romance authors, I was a bit concerned because all ...more
Joy
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is an interesting concept anthology. The concept, voted on by romance readers, is that each author writes a Regency novella that meets the following criteria:

The younger brother of a titled lord, the hero had a career in the army but has lived as a recluse since returning from the war with France.

Heroine is shy or unattractive and after many seasons has never had a suitor.

Hero's brother has only daughters and asks his brother to marry in order to try to ensure that succession stays within t
April
(RATING:4.5)IT HAPPENED ONE SEASON by Stephanie Laurens,Mary Balogh,Jacquie D'Alessandro and Candice Hern is an historical romance set in Regency England.It is four different stories written by four wonderful authors each with their unique writing style.It is about four returning,second titled Lords,who are battle scarred and weary,and four shy,unattractive,spinster lady's.The four hero's need to marry to carry on the family title as the older titled brothers all have girls.When there brothers a ...more
Amy Jacobs
May 02, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-own
Have you ever read a book and wondered what would have happened if the story had went a different way? Well in this story, there are four authors telling different takes on a certain storyline. Basically, you get four different reads in one book!

I really enjoyed this book. I liked how each author brought something different to the story. Each one of them had their own writing style while using the same basis of a plot. What made it even more enjoyable was the fact that I found myself excited to
Mary
Apr 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: regency-romance
This was a cool premise.. based on "guidelines" set by a winning contest entry.. all four authors had to have 1) A Hero is younger brother of a titled lord, had a career in army and has lived as recluse since war ended 2) Heroine is shy or unattractive and has never had a suitor and 3) The hero's brother only has daughters and asks his brother to marry to continue the line.

Each of the authors managed to write very different stories considering that they used those same guidelines. The first two
  • The Heart of Christmas (Carhart #0.5; Tallants #3.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of Regency Romance
  • My Scandalous Bride
  • A Stockingful of Joy
  • An Invitation to Sin
  • Christmas Brides
  • A Historical Christmas Present
  • Snowy Night with a Stranger (School for Heiresses, #4.5)
  • The One That Got Away (includes: Effingtons, #8.5)
  • The Mammoth Book of 20th Century Ghost Stories
  • The Lady Most Willing... (Lady Most..., #2)
  • Talk of the Ton
  • The School for Heiresses (School for Heiresses, #2.5; Neville Family & Friends, #0.5; Desperate Debutantes, #3.5)
  • A Victorian Christmas
  • Three Times a Bride
  • Three Weddings and a Murder
Stephanie Laurens was born in Sri Lanka, which was at the time the British colony of Ceylon. When she was 5, her family moved to Melbourne, Australia, where she was raised. After continuing through school and earning a Ph.D. in Biochemistry in Australia, Stephanie and her husband moved to Great Britain, taking one of the last true overland journeys from Katmandu to London.

Once in London, Stephanie
More about Stephanie Laurens...

It Happened One (2 books)
  • It Happened One Night

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me
  • The Wedding Pearls
    $4.99 $2.00
  • For Every Solution, A Problem
  • Friction
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fountain Of Secrets (Relic Seekers, #2)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • Royal Affair (Royals in Exile, #2)
  • Through the Smoke
  • Finding Bliss
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Frozen
  • She Has Your Eyes
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Cuffed by His Charm (Dirty Little Secrets, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
“It was one thing for hope to spring eternal for the unlikely—it was quite another to wish for the utterly impossible.” 0 likes