Start by marking “Authentic Faith: The Power of a Fire-Tested Life” as Want to Read:
Authentic Faith: The Power of a Fire-Tested Life

Authentic Faith: The Power of a Fire-Tested Life

4.23  ·  Rating details ·  198 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Fortify your commitment to Christ by examining ten “authentic” disciplines God uses to forge a fire-tested faith. What if the spiritual disciplines that bring us closer to God are not the ones we control? Bestselling author Gary Thomas reveals the rich benefits that derive from embracing the harder truths of Scripture. With penetrating insight from Scripture and the Christ ...more
Published June 9th 2003 by Zondervan (first published February 1st 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Authentic Faith, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Authentic Faith

Kat
Apr 13, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: spiritual-growth
I wanted to underline everything in this book! I highly, highly recommend it!!!! Super realistic and confrontational about what authentic faith looks like. A challenge but encouragement in the faith.
Kendall
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another amazing Gary Thomas book!
A closer examination of the 'hard' things of life - cultivating a deeper stillness and trust and love for Jesus!
Deborah Byfield Nyberg
Apr 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Gary Thomas has a wealth of wisdom in his books and this one is no exception. I'll need to listen to it a few times more, but so far, the main things that stand out are:
Keep yourself in God's love as you wait for the mercy of Jesus Christ to bring you to internal life.
Take comfort from God while you wait.
God is concerned with character: Faith, hope and love are all based on waiting.
Value wisdom more than comfort - we are all going to go through some suffering, in different degrees, in our lives
Sonya
Oct 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
it's a book that i feel like i need to read over again once a year. in fact you lovers of "celebration of discipline" by richard foster would dig this book also. i was constantly challenge in this book to reach deeper inside myself and apply the life of Jesus directly to my own life. it also helped me see how often i slack and don't do as Jesus did. this book speaks of real love for your fellow man and how to really apply Jesus example into our own lives.
Joe Marlin
May 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
A book on spiritual disciplines, but not the kind we typically talk about, the ones we do, fasting, solitude, praying etc.. But the disciplines our Father walks us through in life to work in our lives. Like mourning, waiting, and suffering. Reading this book with my wife was really helpful. It pushed our buttons, but that is good. It leans heavily on the wisdom of the 'classics,' many catholic spiritual masters, and puritans yet is scriptural reasoned and soaked.
Kimberly
Apr 06, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Another book to consider how God works in our lives THROUGH the tragedies of human suffering--how He changes us for the better. I found this to be a way to hear others' experiences and ponder how God makes Himself known in our humility.
Ingrid Shanklin
Jul 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Another book that will have you sit up and take notice. He paints a very vivid picture of the real life of a believer in Christ and what it looks like up close and personal to have an authentic faith.One that's been tried and found authentic for sure.
Sethmalmberg
This book was very insightful. It really goes after tearing down fake Christian faith and the search for an easy life. It challenges you to deal with pain in a healthy way.
Chelsea
Aug 07, 2007 rated it really liked it
i am totally loving this book so far. what a refreshing a challenging look at the christian life!
Leeann
Apr 17, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I underlined almost the entire book!
Kristi
Jan 08, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Provided a lot of insight on different spiritual disciplines to think about. I took tons of notes and know I will to take a lot of time to process these ideas further. Insightful and a good read.
Ms.Wietecha
Maria Connor
Sep 19, 2008 rated it it was ok
I didn't end up finishing this one. I was disappointed -- I've really appreciated Gary Thomas' other books and this one just didn't do much to challenge me.
Rachel
Jul 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great read and definitely convicting in terms of living compassionately and mourning and what Christianity *actually* looks like (as in: it's not happyhappyhappy all the time).
Colleen
Aug 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
A good resource for gaining spiritual perspective on difficult realities. How to accept, persevere and rise above challenges that seem painful and unfair with your integrity in tact.
Alicia
  • The Search to Belong: Rethinking Intimacy, Community, and Small Groups
  • Shattered Dreams: God's Unexpected Pathway to Joy
  • Rumors of God: Experience the Kind of Faith You've Only Heard About
  • Honest to God?: Becoming an Authentic Christian
  • Cat and Dog Theology: Rethinking Our Relationship with Our Master. Living Passionately for the Glory of God
  • Making Room for Life: Trading Chaotic Lifestyles for Connected Relationships
  • Choose Joy: Because Happiness Isn't Enough
  • Dangerous Wonder: The Adventure of Childlike Faith
  • Love Beyond Reason: Moving God's Love from Your Head to Your Heart
  • The Rest of God: Restoring Your Soul by Restoring Sabbath
  • The Will of God as a Way of Life: How to Make Every Decision with Peace and Confidence
  • Uprising: A Revolution of the Soul
  • Surfing for God: Discovering the Divine Desire Beneath Sexual Struggle
  • A Glimpse of Jesus: The Stranger to Self-Hatred
  • The Mind of Christ: The Transforming Power of Thinking His Thoughts
  • Spiritual Classics: Selected Readings on the Twelve Spiritual Disciplines
31970
Gary Thomas’ writing and speaking focuses on bringing people closer to Christ and closer to others. He is the author of 18 books that have been translated into a dozen languages. These books include A Lifelong Love, Sacred Marriage: What if God Designed Marriage to Make Us Holy More Than to Make Us Happy?, The Sacred Search: What If It’s Not About Who You Marry, but Why?, Sacred Pathways, and the ...more
More about Gary L. Thomas...

“The reason we feel disillusioned about our life and faith is not because Christianity isn’t fulfilling, but because we’ve stopped thinking and acting like a Christian—someone who has sold all she has for the pearl of great value, someone who considers everything a loss compared to the greatness of knowing Jesus Christ. Without this opportunity to suffer we will, like Lance, “go crazy,” becoming undisciplined robots who think that relief is found in leisure and irresponsibility when in fact it comes from being wholly devoted to God’s kingdom.” 0 likes
“When our happiness is dependent on what happens to us and when our self-focus determines our daily mood, our joy will necessarily be limited to whatever good thing happens to us. But when we learn to truly delight in the welfare of others and rejoice in what God is doing in their lives, the potential for increased joy skyrockets.” 0 likes