Start by marking “I Moved Your Cheese: For Those Who Refuse to Live as Mice in Someone Else's Maze” as Want to Read:

If you were a mouse trapped in a maze and someone kept moving the cheese, what would you do?

Over a decade ago the bestselling business fable Who Moved My Cheese? offered its answer to this question: accept that change is inevitable and beyond your control, don’t waste your time wondering why things are the way they are, keep your head down and start looking for the cheese.
Published September 6th 2011 by Berrett-Koehler Publishers (first published 2011)

Start your review of I Moved Your Cheese: For Those Who Refuse to Live as Mice in Someone Else's Maze
Nov 10, 2015 marked it as dnf-lost-interest
If I hear the words "cheese", "mice", or "maze" one more time I'm going to scream.

This is not a bad book. The author is using this rat maze concept as a business metaphor and I definitely could connect the dots and see where he was going with it. The repetition of these keywords quickly became extremely annoying to me though. It's possible this experience is exclusive to me...maybe my mood or my response to the audiobook narrator, or who knows. I just had to move on.
Donna
Feb 26, 2012 rated it liked it
This is a very quick read, and an interesting perspective.

This book is a rebuttal (perhaps too strong a word) to the wildly popular "Who Moved My Cheese". That book's premise was - when things around you change, you must accept the change or you won't survive. There wasn't really a question of "who" in that book, or why.

I Moved Your Cheese is about understanding who, what, why, and then responding to the change. Much more of a focus on thinking and not blindly accepting what is happening around
Les
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
"What I wish is not that you pursue happiness, but that you actually find happiness. Is it possible to pursue happiness, if the pursuit itself does not actually make you happy?"
Suad Alhalwachi
Feb 25, 2019 rated it it was ok
Even though the teaching behind this book is relevant, I don’t see why we used the same methodology of who moved my cheese book, I suspect that the author didn’t want to re-invent the wheel but wanted to introduce few more thinking points to the same cheese and maze phenomena. Yo me though the book resembles the same as “let’s add another cafe to this street” when the street has a million Cafes as it is! but this new one will serve a new type of coffee. Most of the businesses are copies of other ...more
Maram

Looking at my children makes me want to solve big problems.

The story itself could have been good, but I didn’t really like it; it felt forced and disconnected and the idea of it being based on Who Moved My Cheese (WMMC) made it a bit annoying.
Well I guess that is because I generally HATE self-help books and find them boring, so I
Alina
Clearly better than the one it responds to (Who Moved My Cheese?), which was way too simplistic.

“What I wish is not that you pursue happiness, but that you actually find happiness. Is it possible to pursue happiness if the pursuit itself does not make you happy?”
Jennie
Dec 20, 2013 rated it liked it
I think the message Mr. Malhotra conveys in this very quick read is a good message about not losing what it means to be an individual. Be curious, be adventurous, pursue happiness, don't accept something just because you're told to... etc. I can easily see the connections he's making between the obvious corporate world (the maze) and the workers (mice) that navigate it. I felt like it was too simplified and to some extent I am horrified that it makes so many people out there sound like they are ...more
Richard
Apr 18, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
Having not read Who Moved My Cheese I spent a good deal of I Moved Your Cheese mostly playing catch up or simply lacking context. That aside, the message seems to be fairly straight forward even if this book throws up layers of metaphor instead of just saying it outright. It is, thankfully, a quick read and perhaps more worthwhile if you've read the book it is responding to first.
Subramanyam K.V.
Oct 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
How many of us have read the book, “Who Moved My cheese ?” ? Almost everyone, isn’t it ? It is hard to find a corporate employee who has not read this book, isn’t it ? Published in 1998, Dr. Spencer Johnson’s Who Moved My Cheese? An Amazing Way to Deal with Change in Your Work and in Your Life has sold more than 26 million copies continues to be one of the best-selling business books ever. This 96 page book that involves the mice “Sniff & Scurry” and the little people “Hem & Haw” speaks ...more
Tim Yearneau
Feb 20, 2014 rated it really liked it
Any time this book is mentioned it's a debate over whether it refutes Who Moved My Cheese? or adding to it. To me it depends on how one interprets what the maze represents. Is it a metaphor for the world at large or does it represent limits places upon us?

In I Moved Your Cheese, the moral of the story is that we can breakthrough limits that have been set upon us. Our mind is the most powerful thing we possess. The six inches between our ears dictates where our life goes. The insistence of our
Ryan
Dec 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
Recommended to Ryan by: Navita and Phyllis
This is a nice little story. There's no need to buy the book; it has really big font, so it only took about 45 minutes to read in the book store.

It's a great story to start discussion. I was hoping the book would have more substance and perhaps examine the implications. It leaves the thinking to the reader, which might not be a bad thing considering the simplicity of the story. But you'd think that a Harvard professor would provide some profound insights that might escape us commoners. My socks
Meredith
Apr 13, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ebooks
Finally someone willing to say that the entire Who Moved My Cheese phenomenon is bunk. As the author states in the preface, "Perhaps we should stopy telling people that they are simply mice, chasing cheese, in someone else's maze."
Kickstand447
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-on-kindle
From my LinkedIn Book List/Review:
"What a great little book. Highly recommend this. One theme is (& there are really many): Think for yourself, and be true to what you believe. Doors will open (or, in this case: wall will come down).
READ IT!"
Bernadette
May 21, 2014 rated it liked it
Brief allegorical book that encourages questioning assumptions and not accepting the limitations that others might impose on you.
cizi
Oct 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: biz, 2017
A response to the original book, "Who Moved My Cheese," which explores and empowers the individual to think (and perhaps also operate) outside the Maze. No discussion around how to proactively and successfully execute on Change Management.

Quotations:

...having more cheese does not make us happier—only getting more cheese matters to us.

You are asking mice to do things they have never learned. You are asking them to question and to think, but they choose to accept things as given. You are asking
Kim
Jun 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just read it. Pure and simple. This book was TRUTH! I am keeping it on my desk for others to read. All I can say is Amen. Amen.
becca c.
Feb 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
I really liked the main message of the book. It addresses many important problems about society and social statuses and norms. "We should seek to understand why the change has been forced on us, how we might exert greater control over our lives in the future, whether the goals we are chasing are the correct ones, and what it would take to escape the kinds of mazes in which we are always subject to the designs of others." This is very true when we apply this to our lives.

However, one thing
Christine
Jan 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Shelves: audio-editions
Please forgive the inanity of this review. I just read a book about mice.

Let me be clear: this book was basically an extended metaphor about mice in mazes. Maybe I am missing some key idea because I never read the book that inspired this one "Who Moved My Cheese?", and I am not part of the corporate world (the audience for whom I assume this is primarily written), but I did not enjoy this. Although it would probably feel patronizing, I couldn't help but want more about how to apply this in the
Johnny
Apr 21, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Deepak Malhotra wrote a nice little story around the Who Moved My Cheese? book by Spencer Johnson. Here you will get another point of view on the subject of change: If change happens anyway, then why care so much about the reason for the change? Should we not care more about the change in itself and how we handle it?

Some parts are zen-like, for example: “It’s not so much the mouse in the maze that is the problem. The problem is the maze in the mouse”. That self-inflicted cage we put our
Clarissa Draper
Mar 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: textbooks
I bought this book when it went on amazon's daily deal for $0.99. It was a short book so I'm glad I didn't pay more than a dollar.

However, the book had some really interesting thoughts. What I got from it was this: Although we need to accept that life changes to be happy, we should ask why things change.

I think this is important. I think people just stop asking questions and remain unsatisfied.
Robert S
Jul 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Make Changes, Don't Just Blindly Accept Them

This is a much better allegorical view of change.

The author relies heavily readers knowledge of the book "Who Moved My Cheese" and therefore to the uninitiated it might not be as validating as it was for me. It certainly took the moldy cheese taste out of my mouth!

The bottom line is that handling change like the characters in this book is a much better approach than those in "Who Moved My Cheese".
Kangkung Malaya
Sep 23, 2012 rated it it was amazing
change happens. You can sit there and complain about it , or you can change with the times . Do not fear change . Accept change . What happens in the maze is beyond your control . What you can control is your reaction . - Deepak Malhotra .
Carlos Medina
A really nice Fable with some great lines and moments.
Amanda
Apr 30, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I read this for work, and am fortunate that I have previously read Who Moved My Cheese?. (If you have NOT read Who Moved My Cheese?, you may want to read it first as I Moved Your Cheese makes frequent references to it and you may feel a bit lost otherwise.)

Work/life is full of opportunities and change and stress (?) and sometimes mind-numbing sameness; throw those all together and try to keep up! Depending on which book you are reading, Who Moved My Cheese? (WMMC) argues that change is
Hidayah6064
Aug 04, 2017 rated it liked it
As most people who are familiar with my taste in books know, I seldom read non-fiction books and rarely venture into self-help books. To me, reading is mostly a recreational pursuit and few books in these more serious genres are able to sustain my interest long enough before I am inevitably distracted (sorry book snobs hehe, my books are usually more of an escape). However, in order to ensure that I do not remain a total ignoramus, I do wade into these waters on occasion.

This book was
Maryam Nada
Mar 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
-“I believe that the hunger for inspiration is greater than the hunger for cheese..”
- The maze is there, it doens't mean you have to accept it.
- The maze is there, it doesn't mean it is the only thing it can be, there could be other worlds.
- Cheese is what motivates most people, and cheese is what we are taught to constantly look for, cheese is the way our survival, and thrive, is measured. But cheese doesn't have to be what defines us.
- The Maze is some one else's creation, we are part of it,
Mark
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
For anyone who has read "Who Moved My Cheese?" and felt uncomfortable with the book's premise that change happens so we just need to adapt and deal with it. Crying over moved cheese gets us nowhere. Such advice is useful but it also seems to be an incomplete view of the world.

To just say that change happens and that we all need to merely scurry around to adapt sounds stressful and de-humanizing. We need to acknowledge that we have the ability to say the hell with this maze and these rules, I'm
Don Savant
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
First let me say that if you have not yet read Who Moved My Cheese by Spencer Johnson, M.D. then I recommend that you do so first. This books can definitely stand on its own but there are key elements of it that tie into Dr. Johnson's book and having read it can spark some aha moments while reading this one with I feel is a rebuttal, expansion and an alternate take on "Who" altogether. It definitely brings a lot of perspective to how we do things in life and why we do them.
Arthur James
Jul 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books I read the first half of 2018!

It has been years since I read Who Moved My Cheese which is a classic. Within minutes I was able to pickup where WMMC left off and glean insight from I Moved Your Cheese. If you ready to think outside the box or better yet throw the box away then you need to read I Moved Your Cheese!! You want be disappointed.
Arpit Shah
Apr 17, 2018 rated it liked it
The point to be put forward or the learnings, author wants the reader to understand is quite complex. However if you start looking at the words - mice, cheese, maze as your current life issues or problems, it might be easy to understand. I feel, more examples in relation to this could have been given so that people connect to it well. Overall a good read with good message and personal reflection.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• Who Moved My Cheese?
  • Out of the Maze: An A-Mazing Way to Get Unstuck
  • قيس وليلى والذئب
  • من حرك قطعة الجبن الخاص بى
  • Peaks and Valleys: Making Good And Bad Times Work For You--At Work And In Life
  • النباهة والاستحمار (الآثار الكاملة، #13(
  • Bertrand Russell Speaks His Mind.
  • The Present: The Secret to Enjoying Your Work and Life, Now!
  • I Moved Your Cheese
  • ايقظ قدراتك واصنع مستقبلك
  • تقبلني دائمًا كما أنا
  • How to Use Your Enemies
  • I Don't Want Any More Cheese
  • Questions are the Answers: How to Get to 'Yes' in Network Marketing
  • أيام مع الباشا
  • قل وداعاً
  • Something to Smile about: Encouragement and Inspiration for Life's Ups and Downs
  • ما النسبية؟
Deepak Malhotra is a Professor in the Negotiation, Organizations and Markets Unit at the Harvard Business School. He teaches courses on negotiation strategy to MBA students, as well as in a variety of executive programs, including the Owner/President Management Program, Changing the Game and Families in Business.

Deepak's research focuses on negotiation strategy, trust development, competitive

“Instead, realizing that there is only so much that a mouse in the maze can know and understand … I resolved to get out of the maze.” 1 likes
“Is it possible to pursue happiness if the pursuit itself does not make you happy?” 0 likes