Start by marking “The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga: A Practical Guide to Healing Body, Mind, and Spirit” as Want to Read:

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  1,306 Ratings  ·  93 Reviews
An essential read for anyone who wants to embrace yogaa s spiritual potential and lead a happier, more abundant and harmonious life Explains the seven spiritual laws that govern nature: Pure Potentiality, Giving, Karma, Least Effort, Intention and Desire, Detachment and Dharma.
Published June 21st 2004 by John Wiley & Sons

To ask other readers questions about The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga

Maria Espadinha
Jan 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Evolução é Vida

"Temos esperança de que, com as mudanças que se operarão em cada um de vós graças à prática das Sete Leis Espirituais do Ioga, deixarão de conseguir resistir ao desejo de contribuir para a cura e a transformação da humanidade e do mundo."

"Em conjunto, poderemos lembrar a todos os membros da nossa família global que existe em cada um de nós a capacidade de contribuir para a paz e a harmonia no mundo — basta despertar essas qualidades dentro de nós."

"Acreditamos que cada um de nós
Faye Rahman
Mar 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: self-help, yoga
I read this book in three hours over Americano at Starbucks. It's a very good book for yogis or non yogis out there that are having troubles with the philosophical aspect of yoga. Deepak explains it in a subtle yet understandable way that it makes it a very interesting read, a page turner. I recommend this to those who wants to learn and understand more about the bigger picture (if not overall) of what yoga is really about. And no, it's not a book full of flexible people folding into pretzel.
Lex
Jan 22, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've done yoga on and off for a few years now. I never really learned the purpose of it nor committed to it. During a tough semester a friend and I started attending yoga classes regularly again. After a couple sessions, I noticed my weeks would go by smoother, I wouldn't strain or stress out as much if at all. Here I am again going through a tough time, so I wanted to recommit to yoga again. This book was easy to understand. I think it's a great gateway to those beginning yoga.
Taylor
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: library
It's alright. Mostly just a revisit of my RYT-200 training. It reads like a sales pitch so you'll sign up for his yoga center retreat thing. I sort of tuned it out when it got salesy. Otherwise, it was fine.
Niki Walters
It's a pretty basic yoga book. I do really like his use of language though. I dont think most people would be able to implement his program by themselves, but all the power to them. Mostly, meh.
Kimz Zahour
Sep 14, 2007 rated it really liked it
Shelves: yoga
I didn't realize Deepak Chopra is a MD, or that this book is about Raja (Royal) Yoga. The practice is a spiritual path that is still based on the Yoga Sutras of Patanjali. Additionally, daily intentions aligned with the Seven Spiritual Laws of Yoga are implemented, one for each day of the week... Imagine the power of all Raja Yogis moving through their day with the same intention.
The writing is so intelligent and compassionate; it's truly the profound made simple. For the first time ever in yea
Michelle
Easy read. Good overview.

Chopra covers the yogic philosophy, meditation and breathing and yoga practices in terms of asanas and also provides an extensive list of recommended reading.

I have been studying yoga for a few years, and have read other works as I am currently pursuing my teacher training so I have found other sources to be more informative however this book serves as a good introduction for beginners or those that would be put off by a larger volume.

One section of the book that I pa
Ann
Jul 18, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I enjoy yoga and had read few books on this subject. But this book is very enlightening and help me better understanding the basic principle laws of yoga and take me to a deeper level of practise. There's so much more to yoga than the physical postures that we have come to know. Highly recommended for all. I really enjoyed it, and will read it over again!
Sep 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty basic stuff - what my yoga teachers have been saying for years! Nice summary of the 8-limbed path and the chakras though. Probably a good review for any practitioner... I wish I had gotten an audio version - I love listening to Deepak's voice - he could make my grocery list sound like pearls of wisdom!
April
Jun 03, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Learned some new breathing techniques and intentions to guide. Set up as a generic how-to, I think it missed the mark of opening one to self-exploration for true transformative healing and awareness. A simple format for beginners to get their toes wet. A good platform for further learning.
Justina
Jan 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book pairs nicely with The Seven Spiritual Laws of Success.
Thelma
Feb 04, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
8/2018.. Les sept lois spirituelles du yoga de Deepak Chopra & David Simon.
Un recueil extrêmement intéressant pour celles et ceux qui souhaitent allier bien-être et connaissances. Une mine d’information utiles pour comprendre la philosophie et la finalité du yoga lorsque l’on veut s’essayer à cette pratique. Une aide précieuse pour être en harmonie avec soi même et le monde qui nous entoure.... bref, si tout le monde s’y mettait le monde irait bien mieux 😘
Je vous le conseille fortement...
Christine Brodsky
Nice addition to my yoga practice. Enjoyed the discussion of energy centers, meditation, and the philosophy of yoga. The last few chapters include photos of common yoga poses, which was helpful to review regarding their detailed description of the pose itself and its physical and mental benefits.
Marty
May 31, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: yoga
A prescriptive and detailed approach. Much useful information, but you'll want to use other texts to go deeper (for example, the first two limbs, Yamas and Niyamas, deserve much deeper discussion). Nonetheless, this approach is actionable and positive.
Lucy Beale Partridge
Good intentions

The book combines esoteric yoga philosophy with the physical techniques for breathing and asanas. The recommended sequence of postures omits warm ups and logical progressions. Written for a person devoted to Chopra'S quantum point of view.
Katherine Pershey
Mixed feelings... some really good basic teaching about yoga philosophy, some resonant wisdom, some gimmicky stuff.
Jason
May 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Only 3 discs, and half the time is yoga instruction. Not sure why I expected something different.
Vimal Kodai
May 26, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Deepak Chopra sets the tone with this book of his as he portrays yoga as being one the prime objective towards the welfare of human beings. He writes briefly on its impact upon man’s sane health. He elaborates on the origin of yoga and of its early usage by the great sages of India. He even writes about the essential characteristics of yoga, its importance and its symbolic meanings to the whole of humanity, how it promotes healthy living, and, how it may shape a man’s strong morale, positive ins ...more
Irene
Nov 19, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction, health
I picked this up at a local used bookstore after rifling through it. As a regular practitioner of hot yoga, I thought this would provide educational background and context into yoga. While the book wants to introduce the spiritual into yoga as we know it to be a form of exercise, the parts I read were interesting in the history.

Aside from the fact that I don't practice the yoga program that this book is meant to accompany, I found some sections useful, oftentimes an extension of what my teacher
Aug 18, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I'm not sure what texts I should be reading to familiarize myself with all the laws &/or core of the yoga sutras, but I thought this book would help. I think it's a "good" intro, because as someone relatively new to the subject, I need a text that can break it down for me. Although, I definitely learned more from my yoga teacher in my semester-long yoga class senior yr of college. The authors tend to repeat "by using the seven spiritual laws of yoga program" which I found unnecessary, infome ...more
lynne naranek
Jan 30, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2009
Highly recommended by a spiritually-inclined blog pal, I finally got over my inertia of exploring anything by Deepak Chopra... and realise that a lot of his success has probably come from just translating / repackaging principles that are part and parcel of Indian/Hindu/Yogic life into something that Americans/Westerners would find palatable.

I did find it a useful read, though: its overview and explanation of the various types of yoga certainly helped fill in some blanks I had.

I'm guessing some
Lindzi A
Feb 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fantastic little book about healing and uniting the mind/body/spirit. The science of yoga might be expected to be estoteric and difficult to grasp but here it is well explained and yet deep with many spiritual teachings of yoga. I love this book. It makes me understand why I love yoga and meditation so much and what happens in me while and after having done it regularly. When I had finished the book I wanted to read it all over again - this time with a neon highlighter to mark all that re ...more
kate
I haven't had a chance to do the actual yoga class contained in the book yet, but I have already incorporated the meditational exercises outlined. I also really enjoyed the background, spiritual practice and philosophy of yoga contained in the book.

I took notes I refer back to weekly before my yoga practice. I wasn't looking for this book but it has added a depth to my yoga practice that I find both grounding and expansive.
Chandi Neubauer
Jul 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: anyone interested in yoga.
I love Deepak Chopra. This book is great for beginners and people who have been practicing yoga for years. I learned so much about breathing (which has been surprisingly hard for me) and about what the postures do for our health. I also learned a bit about meditation, though I cannot imagine being able to do it. If you like yoga, it's a book that's worth buying because you'll want to refer to it frequently.
Mar 04, 2010 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
If you are interested in Yoga, then this book is for you! This book explains that Yoga is far more then just poses and exercise. Yoga helps to clear the mind, reconnect your inner self to the universe, and help you become aware of what your body is telling you. I found this book to be very insightful and uplifting. If you are interested in find a balance between your life, body and soul; then this is the book for you. I highly recommend this read! Well worth it!
Arfi
Apr 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I thoroughly enjoy reading this book. It enlightens me in depth about yoga. I might not be a passionate yogi but I can see that yoga has been my life fitness and health balance to maintain a fit and healthy well-being. I recommend this book for yogis or non-yogis. It is full of wealthy information for our body mind and spirit.
Chenley Cabaluna
Effective siya for everyday practice lalo na kapag jinajantoks na ko sa school work lol. Pang-replenish siya ng mind, body and soul. charot! Eh basta kase mahilig ako with this kind of stuff nowadays. Wapakels kung ang weird ko hahahaah. Acceptance lang please guys. hahahaha.Kung gusto niyo sa'kin magpaturo ng ways para ma-enlightened din kayo, I'm just a pm away. char.
Sharon
Oct 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
If you love the practice or if you're just curious about it and want to gain a greater understanding of it, this is the book for you. These days I seem to be carrying it wherever I go. This is my second time around with this book. It's probably a book I'll never shelf. I love re-reading the passages in the book. It's a thought-provoking excursion through the practice of yoga.
Jennie Jakobi
Jul 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love yoga and don't read a lot of yoga books because they basically say the same thing. This one is a good staple to have because it outlines sun salutations with pictures, basic yoga poses, and breathing. A good one for a refresher or to lend to friends new at yoga.
Megan
May 04, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this book really explained some of the philosophies behind yoga. The breathing and meditation sections were my favorite parts. This book was nice. I'd recommend it to anyone who wants to learn about yoga.
Relation b/w Spirituality and Yoga 2 3 May 26, 2014 07:44AM
  • Mudras - Yoga in Your Hands
  • Happy Yoga: 7 Reasons Why There's Nothing to Worry About
  • Anatomy of Hatha Yoga: A Manual for Students, Teachers, and Practitioners
  • Yoga for Depression: A Compassionate Guide to Relieve Suffering Through Yoga
  • Yoga Beyond Belief: Insights to Awaken and Deepen Your Practice
  • The Yoga Sutras of Patanjali
  • Ashtanga Yoga: The Practice Manual
  • Yoga Mala: The Seminal Treatise and Guide from the Living Master of Ashtanga Yoga
  • The Yoga of Breath: A Step-by-Step Guide to Pranayama
  • Yoga and the Quest for the True Self
  • Asanas: 608 Yoga Postures
  • Yoga Tradition (REV Ed)
  • Power Yoga: The Total Strength and Flexibility Workout
  • Tantra: The Art of Conscious Loving
  • Living Yoga: Creating a Life Practice
  • Moving Toward Balance: 8 Weeks of Yoga with Rodney Yee
  • Yoga Mind, Body & Spirit: A Return to Wholeness
  • Teaching Yoga: Essential Foundations and Techniques
Deepak Chopra, MD serves as the Founder and Chairman of The Chopra Foundation, and Co-Founder of the Chopra Center for Wellbeing.

As a global leader and pioneer in the field of mind-body medicine, Chopra transforms the way the world views physical, mental, emotional, spiritual, and social wellness. Known as a prolific author of eighty books books with twenty-two New York Times best sellers in both
More about Deepak Chopra

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99
  • Meet Me in the Bathroom: Rebirth and Rock and Roll in New York City 2001-2011
    $12.99 $2.99
  • What We Talk About When We Talk About God: A
    $11.49 $2.99
“listen to your heart for guidance and be guided by its message of comfort or discomfort. Your heart is the junction point between your mind and your body. If the choice feels comfortable in your body, move into it with confidence. If the choice feels uncomfortable, pause and see the consequences of your action with your inner vision. Honoring the guidance that is provided by your body’s intelligence will help you make the most evolutionary choices for yourself and those in your life.” 3 likes
“If you perform asanas regularly, you will feel more flexible physically and emotionally. Flexibility is the essential difference between the vitality of youth and the lassitude of old age. Here is a yogic expression that we find inspiring: "Infinite flexibility is the secret to immortality.” 2 likes