Start by marking “Twilight Watch (Watch #3)” as Want to Read:
Twilight Watch (Watch #3)

Twilight Watch

(Дозоры #3)

The third book in the bestselling Russian trilogy that is part fantasy, part vampire story, and part detective story, tells of an ancient race of humans who have supernatural powers and swear allegiance to either the Dark or the Light. In Twilight Watch, they face their greatest threat yet.
Published June 13th 2007 by Miramax Books (first published January 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Twilight Watch, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Twilight Watch

Start your review of Twilight Watch (Watch #3)
Chris
Jan 04, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, wizardry

I really wanted to finish this before 2008 ended, but travel, a hectic schedule and a new mini-PC conspired against me. Ah well, such is life.

This world is one that is riddled with possibilities. Even though Lukyanenko has been pretty single-minded in his themes throughout the trilogy, there's a lot to work with here. We have two distinct groups of Others, the Light and the Dark, with different character classes, powers, abilities, levels and ambitions. If anyone wanted to write fan fiction or
Kaya
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Actually, it's 3.5 stars.

We are our own gods and our own demons.

Decreasing quality of plot, no character development, no any development. Basically, nothing changed since the first book. It's like Day Watch and Twilight Watch are only plot fillers. At least we find out more about the purpose of Inquisition. Also, the ending saved the book. That plot twist with Anton and Kostya was excellent.

This was how you wound up in the Inquisition. When you stopped being able to see any difference
Wushi
Mar 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
These stories are all told from Anton's perspective. A good decision to return to a voice the author clearly sympathizes with.

This book picks up a few years after the events of Day Watch, with Anton having married and had a child in the intervening time. His child is fated to become the greatest magic user in centuries, something this story only addresses on the side.

Act one follows Anton as he tries to track down someone who was promised to be made an Other. It is presumed to be impossible, and
Rusalka
I wasn't going to review this book. Mainly because due to the author's vocal opinions on the Ukraine conflict, he has firmly cemented himself onto my "Halfback Flankers" shelf. However, due to some some occurrences in this book that makes me bristle now just thinking about it, consider this a public service announcement.

1. A man's job is to protect and provide for the woman. A woman's job is to protect and provide for the child. This also means that the man may not be able to have a relationship
Seth
Sep 11, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-f-h, modernfantasy
Whereas the earlier books dwelled on the ethics of the Others' use of their power, the final book in the trilogy focuses more on the larger ethical issues of the mere existence of Others and the power they have. The lower Dark Ones--vampires and werewolves--draw their power directly from victims; where do higher Others get their power? What separates Others from humans and can one be converted into another?

The protagonist--actually, the hero--Anton ponders these questions in the context of his
Katy
Jun 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Please note: Read and reviewed in 2007.

My Synopsis: This follow-up to the (also amazing) Russian magical reality books Night Watch and Day Watch returns us to Anton's mind and to Anton's relationships with those around him. Focusing on interactions with the mysterious Inquisitors, this book takes Anton further along in his path to understanding that there really is very little difference between Light and Dark and that the shades of Grey they all walk in are probably more suited to all Others
Steve
Nov 17, 2008 rated it really liked it
Called Dusk Watch in Russian, Luyanenko firmly establishes himself as leading Russian voice in the fantasy genre.

In this novel, he ties narratives through his unfolding universe of the Light and Dark in a brilliant interplay of motives and game-ending moves that quicken the pace and leave you thrilled

The nice thing is that each of the books so far could have closed out the series. This one goes deeper by exploring existentialism and meaning among the Day Watch and Night Watch.

Nobody's Time
A
Shawne
Dec 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: fantasy fans, fans of Lukyanenko's Night Watch universe
Shelves: fiction
I would imagine that, at some point, Lukyanenko's brilliant fantasy series would hit a road bump or two; how many home runs can he hit before the series fizzles out? Surely at some point one of the books is going to be a disappointment?

Fortunately, Twilight Watch isn't that book. In fact, it's the best so far - again expanding the scope of Lukyanenko's ridiculously textured, intelligent universe, so that it encompasses historical narrative and social discourse in a far more direct fashion than
Ryan Mishap
Oct 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: adult-fantasy
I love these books!
In modern Moscow, age old beings called Others still exist. The Light and the Dark Ones called a truce hundreds of years ago and are governed by that treaty. The Nightwatch is the Light Ones police force to keep the Dark in Line. The Daywatch is their counterpart. There may be a truce, but the schemes, manipulations, and plans are always in motion.
Anton, a third level magician on his first field operation when Nightwatch begins, is one of my favorite characters in fiction.
Phleghm
Oct 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: witty
Sometimes it takes a book of fiction to teach us about real life.

IF there was a way to give it 4 and a 1/2 stars I would.

To me, definitely the best book of the series! Majestic! haha. But, it has a few story loopholes or well, at least shortcomings, which started annoying me after I finished the book and thought about it.

I won`t go into those details, because really, they don`t matter all that much.

There is a very good social model and theory behind it all. I felt like I learned a lot from the
William Clemens
Aug 29, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the first two books, I loved this one.

Anton Gorodetsky really comes into his own as a character here. A supernatural Columbo, bumbling through the mysteries and intrigues, trying to puzzle things out, going down the wrong paths, but always finding his way to the solution in the nick of time and making everything right.

The plot, divided into stories as always, focuses on the possibility of human beings turning into Others and the impact this would have on the battle between the watches.
Amy
Jan 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
Upping the ante yet again, Lukyanenko meditates on the meaning of communism (equality for all) and of freedom. The title of the book refers to the Inquisition, which is a governing body over both the Night and Day Watches. The philosophizing in these books, which concern the dependent aspects of "good" and "evil," is always thought-provoking. And the character of Anton feels like an old friend. The Twilight is always an interesting universe to visit!
Lori
Aug 20, 2008 rated it really liked it
A continuation of this great series. In the first few pages I wasn't sure if Anton would continue to repeat his moral dilemma (what is dark? what is light?) from book 2, but things progess. An interesting perk for American readers is an inside perspective of the post Soviet Russia.
Jo
Dec 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
My favorite of the series so far. I enjoyed the first two a lot, but this one is even better. So glad there's more!
Uros Rakic
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
It really keeps you in from the first page.
I am still amazed by the fact that there have not been any boring or slow pase parts in any od the books so far!
Am a bit confused by the end of the book , i guess i got what happened but i would really like a bit more of explaining , hope to get that from the next sequels like i did in thr 2nd one about the ending od the 1st.
Overall , really recommend!
emma
these just get better as they go to be honest. this one felt like more of a complete book than three short stories.
Karine
Jun 18, 2017 rated it liked it
This continuation of the Night Watch series combines mystery with an exploration of the differences between humans and Others. It's a wonderful follow-up to the prior books, but would be incomprehensible if you haven't read them.
Sam
This is probably my favourite of the three so far; although it deals with some pretty hefty ideas, there's a lot of fun too and some lovely twists and turns on the way through.

As before, this is three novellas forming a single longer book. This time, however, the three run pretty much in sequence, and cover only a short span of timeperhaps two or three weeks at most.

(view spoiler)
Seph
Feb 15, 2013 rated it really liked it
Sergei Lukyanenko's "Watch" hexology is a sleek urban-fantasy that simultaneously interweaves threats of an apocalyptic caliber with complex philosophical musings on human nature, to create an artful exploration of the relationship between good and evil, as witnessed through the eyes of a protagonist with an ever-changing scale of morality. All six volumes in the series have been beautifully translated from their native Russian into English by Andrew Bromfield.

Volume 3, Twilight Watch: focuses
Sam
Dec 04, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once again this holds three character connected stories following primarily the Night Watch's Anton as he first investigates the accusations that an Other has revealed all to a human and that they have offered to make the human an Other, a feat considered impossible by many. Here the Night Watch, Day Watch and Inquisition have to work together to protect their worlds from the human world with tense results dripping with doubt, distrust and conspiracy. The remaining two stories finds Anton and ...more
Dale
Jan 25, 2008 rated it really liked it
Dusk Watch (or Twilight Watch, as my copy was titled ... dang translations ...) was every bit as good the other Watch books. By this third volume the series has definitely settled into a very clear pattern. Each book is divided into three sections, each of which is a complete story in and of itself but which also sets up elements which pay off subsequently. Still, even knowing that, and reading the first section carefully to try to pick up clues as to how the last section would unfold, I was ...more
Eric
Apr 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: EVERYONE!!!
This book was fan-freakin-tastic!!! While I consider the second book to be filler for this one, it was much needed to bring out such awesome character development and huge twists this book had. It's interesting seeing how world politics played a part in Lukyanenko's writing of this book, and easy to see what side of the planet he's on. He doesn't drive his opinions too much either, mercifully. I just love how he calls Coca-Cola "foreign poison." Haha!
This book had an agenda though. Lukyanenko
Stephanie Swint
Jan 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This series has been enjoyable since the beginning but Twilight Watch delves deeper into what real differences there are between the Day Watch and the Night Watch. It explores the true reasons as to why they exist, and with this knowledge how it effects Anton and Svetlana's family. A little bit of knowledge can turn a persons world upside down. This was written very well and my favorite of the series.

The book is divided into three stories as is the case with both Day Watch and Night Watch. The
Φλεγύας
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who is into urban fantasy
Shelves: bookcase
This is my favourite book out of the four that make up the series. New characters are introduced into the story, older characters are brought back from the first book, the events of the second book have set interesting predicaments and conditions and Lukyanenko's writing takes all these to the next level, in a book that remains true to his previous style, yet, it explores new foundations as characters develop beyond the levels/stages we got to know them in the previous books.
Without giving out
Simon
Nov 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is the third part of Lukyanenko's Night Watch Trilogy set in the supernatural underworld of post Soviet Russia and I was quite pleased to be back with the first person narrative of Anton Gorodetsky after the brief excussion into the world of the Day watch in Book two.

I will keep this brief as I don't want to spoil the fun of any potential readers. Once again the book is made up of three parts. In part one Anton investigates the occupants of a half abandoned luxury apartment block looking
Stan Heller
Feb 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
I did read the two previous books- Nightwatch and Daywatch. Both were quite enjoyable. The Russian sensibility gives the books a rich flavor that takes familiar characters and themes in unexpected directions.

The flavor of all three books is that of chess games played by old masters. Like Russian nesting dolls, one story fits inside another. Dark and Light magicians vie for a change in the balance of power- each seeking to provoke the other into breaking an age old truce.

All three books follow
Josh Olsen
Sep 03, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Just finished Twilight Watch last night. As per the series, an excellent book.

They did such a good job at the mythos of it all. Some big reveals in this one and some interesting ideas behind the rise and fall of the Soviet Union. I enjoyed every moment of this book.

Great finish to the story of the Watches of Moscow with integration of the Inquisition. Good filling out of the styles of the different aspects of the Others and lastly, a villain that you feel for. A villain whose reasons for doing
Conor Olmstead
Feb 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Once again Sergei Lukyanenko did a great job with his Night Watch Series. I haven't touched his series since back in September, because I knew I would blow through this book and sure enough I did. I wanted to hold off till I knew his final book would be released soon so I could read it and then go right to the last one.

I don't why I like his writing style so much but I really do. He does a great job of painting good visuals so I can easily see whats happening.

Storywise I liked it. The direction
Rasmus Skovdal
Jun 15, 2014 rated it liked it
As was the case with the previous two books, the writing is probably quite decent, but I feel that there are translation issues.

The basic, overarching plot hasn't really changed, and the use of song lyrics is still cringe worthy, but it's different enough from a lot of (western) fantasy that it works quite well.

Heavily focused on Anton, which is mostly a good thing. Characters in this series tend to change, rather than grow, which is fine. Even suitable, for many of them.

The political allegory
Goodreads Librari...: This topic has been closed to new comments. Duplicate 5 36 Aug 17, 2015 01:25PM

• Чапаев и Пустота
  • Orphans of the Helix (Hyperion Cantos #4.5)
  • Wächter des Zwielichts: Roman
  • Necroscope II: Vamphyri! (Necroscope, #2)
  • Понедельник начинается в субботу
  • The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane
  • Hustej nářez (Bratrstvo krve, #1)
  • Rio Anaconda
  • Gringo wśród dzikich plemion
  • Волкодав (Волкодав, #1)
  • A Hard Day's Knight (Nightside, #11)
  • Native American Wisdom
  • Garou (Sheep Detective Story, #2)
  • F in Exams: The best English, Geography, History and Science Blunders
  • Знамение пути (Волкодав, #4)
  • Možnosti milostného románu
  • The Weird of the White Wolf (The Elric Saga, #3)
  • Право на поединок (Волкодав, #2)
Сергей Лукьяненко (Russian)
Сергей Лукяненко (Bulgarian)
Sergej Lukianenko (German)
Siergiej Łukjanienko (Polish)
Sergej Lukjaněnko (Czech)

Sergei Lukyanenko (as his name appears on books and films in U.S. markets) is a science-fiction and fantasy author, writing in Russian, and is arguably the most

Дозоры (1 - 10 of 33 books)
  • Night Watch (Watch #1)
  • Day Watch (Watch #2)
  • The Last Watch (Watch #4)
  • New Watch (Night Watch #5)
  • Школьный Надзор
  • Печать Сумрака
  • Участковый
  • Шестой Дозор (Дозоры, #6)
  • Мелкий Дозор