Start by marking “Blessed Among All Women: Women Saints, Prophets, and Witnesses for Our Time” as Want to Read:
Blessed Among All Women: Women Saints, Prophets, and Witnesses for Our Time

Blessed Among All Women: Women Saints, Prophets, and Witnesses for Our Time

4.19  ·  Rating details ·  32 Ratings  ·  6 Reviews
Winner of three Catholic Press Awards. The best-selling author of All Saints presents this new collection of devotional sketches on history’s greatest women. From Joan of Arc to Anne Frank to Mary Magdalene, Ellsberg offers insights into the lives of women that inspire us.
Published April 1st 2007 by The Crossroad Publishing Company (first published 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Blessed Among All Women, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blessed Among All Women

Mary Helene
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Blessed Among Women" - apparently a popular title. I'm reading about one woman per day. The quality is uneven. It's hard for me to believe the same person wrote all these vignettes! Some of them are deep and wide; others read like fables. Their collective power sweeps one along into a new sense of women present.I especially appreciated his understanding of what it means to be "virgin" as a designation in the Catholic Church. My own understanding was that being virgin meant risking barrenness, b ...more
Bethany
Jan 10, 2008 rated it really liked it
Blessed Among All Women is subtitled "Women Saints, Prophets, and Witnesses for our Time." Though Ellsberg is Catholic, and a number of the women included here are canonized saints, many of the women are not. Laywomen from all walks of life make it into Ellsberg’s second collection of "saints." He writes well, and the commentary that is rarely offered is thoughtful. Even though I didn’t agree with all of his choices, his explanations did at least show me why he picked them.

This book consists of
Anne
May 30, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book took me a long time to read, but I absolutely loved that each biography was only 2-3 pages long. I read a lot of wonderful things and learned about many women whom I have never heard of before. I found this book to be very inspirational, and now I have a list of women that I want to read more about!

There were some entries that I honestly didn't quite understand why they were included, though. For example, the girls who were killed at a church bombing in Birmingham, Alabama. I get that
Susan Price
May 26, 2008 rated it really liked it
This book tells the stories of many spiritual women through the ages beginning in the first century AD up through the present. They are classified under each of the beatitudes of Matthew chapter 5. My daughter, Sarah, recommended it to me, and I began reading somewhat sceptically and ended up so blessed to have read the book. You'll find that many bold women in history have stood up for their faith in the face of many difficulties, and came through shining like the sun.
Pam
Nov 16, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Nice daily pick me up in the morning.... Beginning the day reading about simply good, are tick powerful women who have changed the world
Judithosc
Apr 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I fully enjoyed this book. Ilearned so much and now I am interested to read more about some of the holy women that have lived during my lifetime. Such inspiration!
Jill  M Caldwell
Jul 24, 2015
Christine
Nov 01, 2015
Felipe
rated it did not like it
Oct 07, 2015