Start by marking “Invisible” as Want to Read:
Invisible

Invisible

Chase Devereaux is a fifteen year old boy under a great deal of stress. He has to give a speech today for his Oral Communications class, and he's terrified of public speaking. Worse yet, he's being bullied by one of the most popular kids at school. He just has to make it through his third-hour gym class and then give his speech, and everything will be all right. The events ...more
Published March 7th 2011 by Self-Published (first published July 17th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Invisible, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Invisible

Dd
Shelves: favourites

FAG.

WUSS.

CRYBABY.

Readers,I am an emotional wreck now...

How can a story of 14 pages be so powerful??

I have read many full length supposedly emo books not feeling a thing.But this...I found myself sobbing!!

"They all know what I am, and they know I deserve everything I get. Of course they do, or they wouldn’t just stand there watching as Brad humiliates me. They wouldn’t laugh at my expense."

Yes,you must have understood that this deals with...Teen bullying!!

"An invisible day is a better-than-
Nancy
Posted at Hearts on Fire Reviews

Chase Devereaux is a shy, sensitive and unpopular 15-year-old who is not at all like the kids who are cocky, athletic and popular with students and teachers alike.

All he wants to do is get through the day, but the bullies won't let him.

I recalled very painful memories of my own younger brother who was sensitive, smart, and so not into sports. He managed to survive his school years, though many others are not as fortunate.

I enjoyed reading this very short story
Kristen
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Kristen by: Karla
5 stars

I can't think of a better read to begin the New Year.

There are a few books I feel everyone should read. Invisible is one of them. This type of book, which deals with the devastating effects of bullying, transcend genres and speak to humanity.

This short 14-page book is its own review.

Link to free ebook http://www.goodreads.com/reader/9653-...
Karla

14 pages that speak volumes!!

"I remained silent and let it happen. Shame on me, and shame on all of you. Shame on you for knowing and doing nothing! Shame on you for ignoring what is happening right before your eyes. You all know it’s wrong. I know it’s wrong. Yet we all continue to allow it to happen."

Chase is more of a man than Brad will ever be! Don't stand by and watch, be a doer! Make a difference in someone's life by showing you care...take a stand!

Message received loud and clear! Thank
Monique
Dec 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Monique by: Awilk -never sleeps-
Shelves: lgbt
Invisible... Is a window into a child's view of the world as a victim... It may be short, but the message is profound! 14 pages that will have you sobbing your heart out...

Photobucket

Jeff Erno has given us more in this short than some authors try to achieve in a full length novel. He gets into your head and evokes such powerful emotions through his excellent command of language and lyrical prose, it is just beautiful yet at the same time heartbreaking as you sit and absorbe the words and their meaning.

Th
Jeff Erno
Mar 07, 2011 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This is a short story I have written. It is free, and I encourage readers to share it with anyone they feel may enjoy it. The theme of the story is timely, as it relates to teen bullying. (New cover image added 4/15/2011)
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
This is a very moving short about bullying and being "different." As a mother, I worry about these issues as my kids grow up, so this struck a chord with me. I found myself holding back tears as I read this outside my daughter's school before picking her up. Very well written and a powerful message.
Elizabeth (Liz)
Screw Goodreads 5-star maximum! INVISIBLE gets 100 Stars! Hell, it gets INFINITE STARS AND A STANDING OVATION!!

This (very) short should be required reading for ALL people, EVERYWHERE!!! You want a summary?!

•DO NOT BULLY IN ANY WAY, SHAPE OR FORM!

•DO NOT ALLOW YOUR KIDS TO BULLY, EVER!

•DO NOT EXCUSE BULLYING FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER!

•DO NOT TOLERATE INTOLERANCE!

•IF YOU *SEE* SOMEONE BEING BULLIED, IF YOU *HEAR* OF SOMEONE BEING BULLIED...DO SOMETHING!

Do something. It's that simple and that hard.
Richa
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
If you haven't read this already then click on the link below to download it and do so.....because it'll take up only maybe 10 minutes of your time and it's worth it.....more than worth it....

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oh. My. God.

How did this happen??

It's only 14 pages....and I can't stop crying...

I need tissues!! Dang it!

Quit being such a sissy and man up!!

Chase Alexander Devereaux is a 15 year old boy an
Shawna
As an expectant parent, the state of bullying in this country terrifies me. Bravo, Jeff Erno, for writing such a powerful story that resonates for its frank, emotional honesty.
Awilk -never sleeps-
A powerful short story about bullying. This is the story of Chace, a sensitive, smart gay teenager who is trying to survive terrible bullying that happens to him at high school.
For such a short story, I can't believe how emotionally involved I became while reading this. I had tears flowing from my eyes.
Thank you Jeff Erno, for writing something so moving and powerful, and freely sharing it with anyone who cares enough to read it.
KatLynne
Recommended to KatLynne by: Karla
Shelves: 2013-reads
14 pages with a powerful message!

IMO, There is NEVER any excuse for bullying and I agree with the author that this is a very serious issue. This is a short message touching on the aspects of gay teenagers and what many endure.

Being involved on numerous committees over the years in public schools, I've witnessed the pain and heartache among many who are bullied. It's been a topic of grave discussion with no concrete resolution to stop this negative behavior. Many are not gay and are bullied for
MLE
Feb 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mm
I wish I could write a review that reflects how much reading this affected me, but the words fail me, and I end up crying. Bullying, no matter why it happens (I wasn't bullied for my sexuality I was just an easy mark when I was much younger) leaves marks that grow fainter over the years, but never quite go away. I'm so glad that it's finally coming out into the open, and more and more people are refusing to stand by and let it happen. Maybe someday no other kid will hear that it's their fault, a ...more
Sammy Loves Books
Jan 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone should read this!
Recommended to Sammy by: Monique
Wow. This short story was gut wrenching. I went through such a wide range of emotions, experiencing a day in the life of Chase Devereaux.
Teens Cry
Anger. Pity. Despair and awe. Chase is fifteen years old and he is gay. He's not only gay, but very effeminate in his mannerisms. He has his own personal bully, Brad. Brad is beautiful, popular, and a jock that is liked by everyone. Brad makes Chase's life a living hell with verbal assaults, physical brutality, and public humiliations. Chase's dream isn't to be
Duchess Nicole
Recommended to Duchess Nicole by: Kristen
“I remained silent and let it happen. Shame on me, and shame on all of you. Shame on you for knowing and doing nothing! Shame on you for ignoring what is happening right before your eyes. You all know it’s wrong. I know it’s wrong. Yet we all continue to allow it to happen."

Such a short story to pack such an emotional punch. I'm wiping away tears as I write this and wondering if this stuff truly happens. But of course it does! Of course, when image is everything and immature, self absorbed peopl
Sara
Well this broke my heart immediately. Ugh. I hate that kids like Chase have to deal with this shit. I hate that boys like Brad exist in this world and get off on hurting others for sport. It's much worse than when I was young and what happened to me wasn't called bullying, it as just called growing up. I will tell you, that at almost 40 years old, I can still give you the names I was called, the things that were done and those who never helped or even knew it was going on. It sticks with you eve ...more
Deeze
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
READ THIS STORY

Proof that sometimes the best things come in small packages. This was such a powerful read.

Is there a poll for most powerful/moving/realistic scene in a book? Because the Gym scene would win hands down for me. So real. Is it a requirement for Gym teachers to ignore/turn a blind eye to bulling? I know my own gym teachers were either blind or just as much of a bully as some of the kids.

For a more articulate review read Monique’s Musings

While this short in no way needs any more,
Crista
Recommended to Crista by: Karla
I am very glad I've started my 2013 reading off with this book.

A big thanks to Karla, Kristen, and Elizabeth who gave me the heads up on this incredible and sobering short story that is all too real.

Invisible takes a good look at bullying and the horrible emotional torment and abuse it causes. People are capable of such wonderful acts of love and compassion, but are also capable of great cruelty and evil. The key is to stand up to evil when it shows it's face. To have the courage to stand agains
Danny Tyran
Jan 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: gay, drama
Don’t give in. Don’t let them win.

I sincerely hope that something like this happen in all primary and high schools wherever bullying goes after children and teens who are a little different. Even if from the point of view of somes, I'm gay, because I live in a relationship with a man (in fact, I'm bi), I've never been bullied by complete morons who do not know to highlight themselves otherwise than by lowering others, those who cannot do anything against it. But I had friends who where laughed
Cindi
Jul 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
If anyone can read this story without being touched in some way, I don't know if I would want to know that person. This is a very short story touching on the bullying of a 15 year old boy, Chase. My heart broke reading what Chase was forced to endure. And then it was made whole again by the actions of another young man.

This is very short (14 pages) but it pulls one hell of a punch. So much said in those few words. My thanks to the author for touching on something that is way too prevalent these
QiJia 치쟈
A powerful short story .
MUST READ.

Thank you to Kristen for recommending it.

Speaking of bullying, I wasn't bullied in high school but maybe you could say that I was bullied in a way for being the nerd, teacher's pet, the asthma kid, the sick girl, pimple girl during primary school years. It was more of being mocked. I wasn't physically bullied but words are powerful tools and hurts one to the core.

Though thanks to them, I'm now a more healthy person. I started going for swimming lessons, badmint
Wendy
Jan 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Wendy by: KatLynne
Shelves: young-adult, freebies
Sad, compassionate and thought provoking read.

Link to free read of Invisible.
Anna
This is only 14 pages long and it had me crying during almost the whole time. Just so touching and powerful.
Alex is The Romance Fox
Such an incredible and powerful message.

Anyone who has ever dealt with child bullying should read this.

Sad but uplifting too.

Thanks Susan for recommending this to me.
Kazza
Oct 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Invisible is wonderfully written, timely, with parts that made me think of my teenage son growing up during his school years. There was an incredibly personal message in here for me.

I loved many things about this 14 page ebook. It is about 15 year old Chase and the reasons behind his need to be "invisible". The difficulties of children not fitting in at school and being bullied. Those who do the bullying directly, and those that enable it.

Daryn, Chase's brother, stands for quite a bit of societ
Nicci
Mar 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Nicci by: Nancy, thanks for rec.
Invisible by Jeff Erno blew me away. It is one thing to read or hear about youth bullied by their peers in the news. It’s another to experience first hand through the narration of the main character. We are right there with Chase as he tells us his thoughts, his emotions, the harm bullying does to his self-esteem.

Written in 1st person, Chase tells his story in an almost stream of conscious narrative. The author does a tremendous job in getting his message across to the readers. He wants us to b
Trisha Harrington
Feb 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
A short story (14 pages) about a boy Chase, who is being bullied in school. I loved this, it packs a punch. It gets the message across. Jeff did a great job with this story. It was short, honest and brutal. But it was beautiful.

I loved this. I will say it again, this had something that anyone could relate to. Gay, straight, bi, bullied or not bullied. This showed something. It only takes one person to tell the truth. I would gladly read an extended version.

Highly recommend this book. It is a mus
Pat
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a fabulous story. It has been a long time since I went to high school but this took me right back. Thankfully I was never the one to feel as badly as this. I do know that it happens all the time. This is the first time I have read this author but it is definitely not the last. Touching and incredibly real.
Iva
Sep 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya, novella
This proves that 14 pages can make you cry :'(
Vivian
Feb 06, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya-na
Pretty horrible what people will do to one another. An emotional short story about the viciousness of teen group dynamics--aka, bullying.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »

• Running Far Afield
  • To Feel the Sun
  • The Introspective Debate of Owen Brody
  • You and a Billion Blue Tiles
  • Love Is In The Title (Love #1)
  • Safe
  • Light Outside the Closet (Haven Coffee House Boys #1)
  • Abandoned (Little Boy Lost, #2)
  • One of Those Days
  • Underlying
  • Dirty Zero (Zero to Hero, #1)
  • Bodies in Space
  • On The Dock
Jeff Erno currently lives in southern Michigan. He holds a bachelor's degree in business management and human resources. Jeff began writing stories in the late 1990's and initially posted them to a free online amateur website. The positive feedback he received from readers encouraged him to continue, and this eventually led to the publication of his first novel, Dumb Jock. Erno has subsequently pu ...more
“I can tell you a lot of things about bullying and what it does to a person.” Tears are forming in his eyes as he continues.”But sadly, I can’t tell you that I’ve done my part to make it stop.” 10 likes
“Really it’s not deliberate. Sometimes I try really hard to be anything but gay. I watch the other guys—and I know what you’re thinking. You think I mean I check them out, and yeah, I can’t help but do that too. But what I’m sayin is that I watch the really normal guys, the ones who are into sports, who act all totally straight, and I try to copy them. I try to lower the timber of my voice, not sound so nasally when I talk. I try to gesture with my hands in a manly sorta way instead of all limp-wristed and girly. I try to remember not to sit with my legs crossed, and I try really hard to avoid throwing a ball like a girl.” 2 likes