Start by marking “ബാല്യകാലസഖി | Balyakalasakhi” as Want to Read:
ബാല്യകാലസഖി | Balyakalasakhi

ബാല്യകാലസഖി | Balyakalasakhi

The childhood romance between neighbours blossoms into passionate love during adolescence. Majeed's father was rich once, so could send him to a school in the distant town, although he was not very good at studies. Suhra's father on the other hand had trouble making both ends meet. Even then he wanted to send his daughter, who was good at studies to the school. But after ...more
Published by DC Books (first published May 1944)

This question contains spoilers… (view spoiler)
Afsal yes i want this book so i too much like this book

Start your review of ബാല്യകാലസഖി | Balyakalasakhi
Bella
Jan 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
this book made me cry :( bad fate for the hero.
Arun Raju
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
this ws my text book in 10+1.i finished it in one shot.awesome really awesome.so touching.his simple language ,perspective on life(manusha jeevitham ellayidathum onnu thanne,jeevikunnu ,ena cheerunnu,peruppikunnu).only this Great writer can explain life in such a simple way.

i hv read this novel more than 50 times.every time i go to my mothers place i read this
Payal Sudhan
Viji  (Bookish endeavors)
This is my second reading of Vaikkom Muhammad Basheer. The first one was 'Matilukal',a story that easily touched my heart,with its story of unfulfilled romance written in a simple language. And now this..

Balyakalasakhi.. Childhood friend.. The word itself reeks of eau de nostalgia.. And nostalgia is something that touches every human heart.. I've always wondered why it is that Basheer is a favorite of all Malayalis,regardless of age or social status. Now I've got the answer.. It lies in his
Lakshmi Narasimhan
Apr 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
its about love, life, laughter and Basheer's sheer genius, captures all those in masterly fashion. A tiny book but a world in itself. We all would have had our own childhood girls or boys, this is not only a walk through the memory lane, but, definitely showcases the intricacies of childhood pristine love. which when we grow in to a man or women would have its effects due to conditioning.I read the tamil Translation of Balyakalasakhi. You can get the book in New book lands, opposite to megamart ...more
Aswathy
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
the introduction of the book itself is brilliant.. I had read this book during my school days now I read this as part of my syllabus.. the novel is very simple but the feeling it gives is very high.. even if I know how the novel ends I prayed for a happy ending.
Krishna
Feb 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I red this book in tamil, translated by kulachal mu. yusaf. This is definitely one of the best book I have ever red. Certainly all time favourite onside with oru manithan oru veedu oru ulagam by jeyakanthan and JJ sila kuripugal by sundra ramasamy...
Chandraprasad Ponneth
Jul 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Majeed and Suhra, about them and their love this novel is all about. The book may be a work of fiction but the intensity of story line will make you forget it is a work of fiction. A must have and must read book.

If you can read Malayalam please read the Malayalam version rather than English translation.

Warning: Keep few tissue paper next to you while you read the youth part of Majeed and Suhra, you may need it.
Anupama C K(b0rn_2_read)
I read this in school, we had a readalong in Malayalam class, now when I read it, I feel like I'm back there. I loved reading about their childhood, love and seperation. It was so easy to connect to them and for a while I was lost in their world. It is a pretty short book but in very few words the author manages to talk Muslim customs, gender discrimination, domestic abuse. Eventhough I knew what would happen at the end, I couldn't stop the tears

----
I listened to the audiobook this time
Jijo Varghese
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
He is the best in Indian Writers I would say. He was not into so called meta realism or to go a long way to tell a simple thing. All his books are written in simple language. If there is no Dostoevsky,Tolstoy in my list I would call him greatest novelist world has ever seen
Dhanya
Aug 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Perhaps one of the best love stories and at the same time, closely related to reality. As in the introduction of the book , 'It is taken from life, and it is bleeding at the edge'
Kracekumar
Nov 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even though it's an age-old story of poverty, a victim of the situations, Basheer holds the reader till the end with his artistic writings, exposes his intelligent understandings of customs and life. He creates an experience with the reader’s images in a half a century old writing. Once the reader indulges in the book, the time period in which it was written disappears from the mind. It's a hallmark of a true master's writing.
Shiva Subbiaah kumar
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Blog: https://thosebittersweetmemories.blog...

About the Book:
Balyakalasakhi (Childhood Friend) is a romantic tragedy novel. The story revolves around Majeed and Suhra, who are in love from childhood.
Got to know about this ace Malayalam writer and purchased three of his books that was translated in Tamil by காலசசுவடு Kaalachuvadu publications. 'Balyakalasakhi', 'Mathilukal' and 'Enga Uppuppavukku Oru Aana Irunthathu'

Movie Version of Balyakalasakhi (Malayalam):
Cbj
Aug 25, 2014 rated it liked it
This is the first book written in my mother tongue that I have ever completed. It is a book for sentimental Malayalis like me - the sort of person who would cry when he watches MOONAM PAKKAM or THOOVANA THUMBIKAL.

I thought it was an extremely flawed book. For example, Bashir explains the whole of Majid's journey across India in a single paragraph. And Majid's world view after his journey is quite banal. Bashir strikes me as the sort of person whom Naipaul described as being extremely anxious
Akhil V. Marayikkottu
തളം കെടടികകിടകകുനന ഓർമമ !!!

Soleful storytelling .. milestone in malayalam literature. Brilliant work by the sulthan beypoor. The style of story telling remains fresh till to date and appeals to the generation.
Shajan
Oct 27, 2016 rated it really liked it
Able to finish the book in one stretch... thats the power of good books.. This one too from that category..
Mehar Mp
Jul 12, 2013 rated it really liked it
never ending love story
Vishnu Mohan
Feb 16, 2013 rated it liked it
i like basheer novels......... i didnt read this novel.....
EJ
Feb 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Simple, sweet and consoling.
Anagha  Mahadevan
Dec 21, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It is a heart touching story of two children Majeed and Suhra who had been childhood friends and later loved each other without even knowing but the situation changes when Suhra's father dies; her family drowns in debt and Majeed tries to help but he is sent to town to study and he again wants to educate Suhra and tries hard too. long days past Majeed finishes his study and comes back to see his family and his lover and his father asks to help him with the large profit on his business but he ...more
ashwin
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book touches in all the right places in all the painful ways.
It left me pondering over the flow of life, it's ups and downs.
Written in a simple language.
It will take you back to your colorful childhood, it will remind you how hard life has been since you became an adult.
An evergreen classic, a must-read.
Nirmal
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: romance
Superb. Tragedy at the end. but very interesting.
Aishwarya Aishwarya
So sad.....
Renjith R Nair
Sep 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: my-library, fiction
One of my favourite book. Love is eternal. I love Bhasheer's narration. Simple yet deep inside.
Mridula Nambiar
Jun 23, 2019 rated it really liked it
A bitter sweet simple love story.
Sambhu Dev
May 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Read it at-least once before you die or you will miss a great heart touching story
AKHIL S
Feb 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
masterpiece... tragic love story between two childhood friends/neighbours. heartbreaking in minimal pages.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• യക്ഷി | Yakshi
  • നീര്‍മാതളം പൂത്തകാലം | Neermatalam Poothakaalam
  • ഒരു കുടയും കുഞ്ഞുപെങ്ങളും | Oru Kudayum Kunju Pengalum
  • ഫ്രാൻസിസ് ഇട്ടിക്കോര | Francis Itty Cora
Vaikom Muhammad Basheer is regarded as one of the prominent literary figures ever existed in india. He was a legend in Kerala.

He was one of those outspoken figures who revolutionized Malayalam Literature, and Thus the World Literature itself with his dauntless sarcasm, satire, and black humor.

Often referred to as the Beypore Sultan (the king of Beypore) by the colleagues, he was one of the