Start by marking “King Philip's War: The History and Legacy of America's Forgotten Conflict” as Want to Read:
King Philip's War: The History and Legacy of America's Forgotten Conflict

King Philip's War: The History and Legacy of America's Forgotten Conflict

At the Pilgrim's first Thanksgiving in 1621, chief among the honored guests was Massasoit, the sachem of the Wampanoag. Half a century later, Massasoit's son, King Philip, had been shot at the end of a bloody two-year conflict. The war began as a skirmish between the Wampanoag and the English on the frontier of Plymouth colony and ended with many of the New England's settl ...more
Paperback, 1st paperback edition, 416 pages
Published December 1st 2000 by The Countryman Press (first published September 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about King Philip's War, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King Philip's War

Mel Foster
This is a great resource--an unusual one. Just understand what you are getting here. The first 82 pages are a broad overview of King Phillip's War. The second section--by far the largest--discusses the war by region and community. This section is great if you will have the opportunity to travel through these areas and are looking for a field guide to sites and action. The section also has many gems of local history, some integrally and some very distantly related to King Phillip's War. The last ...more
Troy
Mar 04, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: New England, American Indian History, Early American History
Exhaustively researched, a terrific record of the first conflict for survival between European settlers and American Indians. Lacks any real narrative direction, reading more like a laundry list of dates, historical figures, battle records, and such. Eventually, I found myself just reading around, looking for places I knew and people who seemed interesting. Still, a terrific record of an important time in American history.
Kevin
Dec 03, 2012 rated it liked it
This book was okay. I was hoping for more of a historical narrative, but it focused more on locations, trying to find them, retrace steps, where each house used to be located, etc. I think it accomplished what the author intended, but I wasn't engaged by the focus on connecting modern locations to what used to be here during King Philip's war.
Gretchen
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
I read this because an ancestor of mine, Lawrence Clinton, fought in the war. The authors discuss the history of the war that has been passed to us, the fact that the first victims were literate Indians, and the use of the war, including in the controversy over removal of Cherokees from Georgia to Oklahoma. "King Philip" was a Sachem named Metacom. I think he was a Wampanoag. The war began after three Indians were convicted of murdering Christian Indian and minister John Sassamon at his behest a ...more
Christine
Oct 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Though somewhat dry, it did provide a lot of good information. It did jump around a bit & would have been greatly improved with more maps.
Amanda
Dec 30, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history
Part history of a large-scale conflict in colonial New England, part travelogue of the important sites. Also includes some 1st person accounts of the period, which are fascinating.
Andrew Brozyna
Nov 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: colonial-america
I presume the majority of people choosing to read about King Philip's War (1675–76) do so out of an interest in local history. As evidence of this, the authors on this conflict appear to all be New Englanders. My schooling in Pennsylvania completely skipped the subject. We were taught about the landing of the Pilgrims (one generation before King Philip's War), then we jumped ahead 150 years to the American Revolution. I wonder if school kids in New England learn anything about it—I suspect not. ...more
Michael
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The best book I've read (of several) on the subject of the war waged by King Philip, the Native American Sachem in New England, whose bloody outbreak against the Early English Colonists in New England brought about the end of his people in that part of the world. It also nearly ended the New England Colonies.

This was a little known and and most destructive war ever waged between Native Americans and (English) Settlers (per capita) in American History. The fact that the war was instigated by the
Bryan Alexander
Mar 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
I came to this book in appalling ignorance, knowing nothing of King Philip's War. I didn't study much American history after high school (and am trying to correct that now), and this was a blank. Eric B. Schultz and Michael J. Tougias do a great job of filling it in.

This book is split, Gaul-like, into three parts. First is a short narrative history of the conflict, starting from its roots in decaying English-native relations in the mid-1600s through the war's various endings and aftermath.

Next c
Joshua Horn
Aug 06, 2015 rated it it was ok
I found this book to be pretty badly organized. It begins wit ha summary of King Philip's war, which has some interesting parts, but was rather hard to follow. It also was a little to pro-native than what I got from other sources. Then it has sections on each area in which the war was fought, and gives information for visiting the sites. But the second section has a lot of historical details that the first does not, making getting a cohesive history of the war from this book extremely difficult. ...more
Paul Cane
Apr 18, 2013 rated it really liked it
Interesting commentary on the early history of the European settlers in New England and their relationship with the indigenous population. Neither side emerges covered in glory in this sad tale. Since the descendants of many of these n'er do wells still reside in and around Plymouth MA, yet another reason to avoid that dreary town.
Patricia O'Sullivan
Oct 13, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This was a fabulous resource for battle information. I used it to write a historical fiction novel about King Philip's War called Legend of the Dead. http://www.amazon.com/Legend-of-the-D...
Jack Perreault
Nov 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
A theroughly researched book on the King Phillip's war. Most of the events in the book occur in New England making doubly interesting to anyone who resides there. This book corrects many of the myths surrounding King Phillip and the English colonist.
Christopher Daley
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Great read on King Philip's War but what I really liked was how the authors pinpointed historical locations enabling the reader to actually go and visit these locations!
Connie Nichols
Nov 30, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Comprehensive survey of a war ignored by American History books
Jason Potrzeba
Jan 09, 2014 rated it really liked it
Along with presenting some great material to study this book also provides many maps and acts as a great guidebook to making it easy to locate and visit many points of interest.
Pam
Jan 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: history, pam
This is a book I would recommend to anyone, who likes history. King's Philip's War is basically totally forgotten today, but it had such a huge impact on the development of the Northeast.
Larry
Nov 10, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: history buffs
Shelves: history-american
very detailed, although a bit ponderous
Sean Andrew Mcgann
Oct 11, 2012 rated it it was amazing
a colorful historic read about one of the first major war between indians and massachusett settlers, i drove out to some of the places that battles took place and took pictures of landmarks for it !
Colin
Feb 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: scholarly-works
Essential to my understanding of the place where I grew up.
Mary Jo
Dec 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Very easy reading for a historical account. I enjoyed it.
Mark Everette
Jul 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Describes the history of King Philip's war in the 1600s including the attack and burning of the town of Simsbury, CT.
Charlie Newfell
May 01, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5*

Solid short account of the almost forgotten war in early New England History.
Pamela
Sep 09, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »

• The Times of Their Lives: Life, Love, and Death in Plymouth Colony
  • The Name of War: King Philip's War and the Origins of American Identity
  • The Indian Slave Trade: The Rise of the English Empire in the American South, 1670 - 1717
  • The First Frontier: The Forgotten History of Struggle, Savagery, and Endurance in Early America
  • The Salem Witch Trials Reader
  • General Lee's Army: From Victory to Collapse
  • White Devil: A True Story of War, Savagery, and Vengeance in Colonial America
  • A Little Commonwealth: Family Life in Plymouth Colony
  • War on the Run: The Epic Story of Robert Rogers and the Conquest of America's First Frontier
  • Of Plymouth Plantation, 1620-1647
  • The Lakotas and the Black Hills: The Struggle for Sacred Ground (Penguin Library of American Indian History)
  • The Devil in Massachusetts: A Modern Enquiry Into the Salem Witch Trials
  • Everyday Life in Early America (The Everyday Life in America series)
  • Massacre on the Merrimack: Hannah Duston's Captivity and Revenge in Colonial America
  • Women's Indian Captivity Narratives
  • The Grand Design: Strategy and the U.S. Civil War
  • Judge Sewall's Apology: The Salem Witch Trials and the Forming of an American Conscience
  • Damned Women: Sinners and Witches in Puritan New England