Start by marking “The Journey of Self-Discovery” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Journey of Self-Di...

A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Pr...

The Journey of Self-Discovery

4.1  ·  Rating details ·  199 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Amid the parched desert of materialism, The Journey of Self-Discovery offers
a sure pathway to the oasis of higher, spiritual awareness.

The author, Srila A. C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada, is recognized by
scholars and spiritual leaders worldwide as the most distinguished teacher
of Indian culture and philosophy of the modern age.

In these thirty-one fascinating essays, tal

Hardcover
Published (first published May 1st 1990)

To ask other readers questions about The Journey of Self-Discovery, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Journey of Self-Discovery

Hannah Foster
I'm currently reading this book, and will probably write another review when I am done...but this book is very easy to follow as throughout the whole text there are back and forth dialogues between Prabhupada and doctors/scientists of the wester world. Reading this opens up your mind to so many possible scenarios and ways in which we can live our lives and the way in which we may have lived our lives in a past life.

The book is about discovering your inner Krishna and following this "Krishna Con
Manjit29
Classic yogi book. Chant Hare Krisna to reach divine state. Careful I stopped eating red meat after this one.
Curtis
Sep 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book was very interesting especially since it seemed like the tip of the religious Vedanta ice berg. And it is a part of the Hare Krishna movement.
Rena
Aug 14, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I really struggled with this one. parts of it were very interesting, but others were a bit of a bore.

I liked that I took the chance to become more aquanted with the ideals. I think learning about other's philosophies is extremely important. we need to understand each other in order to progress in this world.

And don't get me wrong, I view this book with very high regards. I just had a struggle with staying interested.
Will
Dec 01, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: religion
"Given" to me at Allgood Music Festival. Of course, robed dude then asked for a charitable handout. Gave him half of what was asked. All I had. Was not under the influence of anything but pizza. It did not change my life.
Ralph Zoontjens
A controversial guy, but I found his book to be eye-opening.
Teemu Kemppainen
Mar 22, 2015 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: suomeksi, 2015
Törmäsin tähän kirjaan sattumalta ja ajattelin lukea koska en ennalta juurikaan tuntenut Krisna-liikettä. Odotin satujen ja huuhaan sekoitusta mutta alkuun tavara oli hyvinkin järkevää.

Keskiössä olivat sekä ihmisten että muiden elävien olentojen samanarvoisuus ja useista muista uskonnoista poiketen myös uskontojen tasa-arvoisuus. Ei väliä mihin jumalaan uskot, palvele tätä niin hyvin kuin mahdollista ja noudata annettuja käskyjä.

Hiljalleen hyvien ajatusten verkko heikkeni ja valuttiin vääjäämätt
Danijel Brestovac
Pot popolnosti

str. V- naše naravno hrepenenje po sreči, razsvetlitvi, osvoboditvi in odrešenju je postalo najbolj izkoriščano blago dvajsetega stoletja, kar je po besedah enega od podobnih teologov povzročilo tragično zlorabljanje duha. Obžalovanja vredna posledica tega je otopeli cinizem, ki ljudi odvrača od iskanja samoizpolnitve in od poti, ki vodijo do nje.

Str. 5- z drugimi besedami, DOSEŽEŠ LAHKO, KAR KOLI ŽELIŠ.

Str. 8- koristno je poznati samega sebe - vedeti kaj si.

Str. 9- namen človeškeg
Ognen
Jun 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book (well not a classic book but collected teachings from his divine grace Prabhupada) is that kind of book which you can read it in sequels and also always come back to it since there are many interesting points very relevant to todays life and overall situation in the human society, the society that cries for some change in values and in desperate need of uplift of the spirit.
Dania Montana
En pocas palabras hay que cantar "hare krishna".
4 Principios a seguir: dejar de comer carne, juegos de azar, sexo ilícito y no intoxicarse.

Reconoce que el propósito de toda religión es el de entrenar a la gente a amar a Dios, y que ninguna religión es mejor que otra.

Darwin y Freud son unos estúpidos (textual)..

Esperaba más ...
Zac Sigler
Aug 05, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Srila Prabhupada talks in circles in this collection of lectures and interviews conducted in the 70's. I rate this book lowly because of that, not because I disagree with most of the beliefs portrayed.
Jane
Mar 28, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
overview of prabupada's thinking and how it relates to krishna consciousness.
Kristin Myrtle
hasn't everyone had a chance to buy this book? at every outdoor concert i ever went to there where people peddling this book... its's been on my shelf for years...
Aliza Khan
May 12, 2014 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
TO THINK IF I READ THIS I FOUND THE ANSWER TO THE LOT OF QUESTIONS
Hannah Cannon
A book about the Hare Krisna movement. Interesting, but a heavy read laden with strong Hindu opinions. Full of information.
Rabert Anton
  • The Way to God
  • Gitagovinda of Jayadeva: Love Song of the Dark Lord
  • Ten Theories of Human Nature
  • Ashtavakra Gita
  • Inside the Yoga Sutras: A Comprehensive Sourcebook for the Study & Practice of Patanjali's Yoga Sutras
  • Ramayana: India's Immortal Tale of Adventure, Love and Wisdom
  • Teutonic Magic: The Magical & Spiritual Practices of the Germanic Peoples
  • Shiva: The Wild God of Power and Ecstasy
  • The Aquarian Gospel of Jesus the Christ
  • The Lotus Sutra: A Contemporary Translation of a Buddhist Classic
  • Lytton Strachey: The New Biography
  • The Shawnees and the War for America: The Penguin Library of American Indian History series
  • The Sword and the Mind, The Classic Japanese Treatise on Swordsmanship and Tactics
  • Soul Stealer (The Alchemist's Son #2)
  • Mystic Christianity
  • Hatha Yoga Pradipika
  • Madame Mao: The White-Boned Demon
His Divine Grace Abhay Charanaravinda Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupada (अभय चरणारविनद भकतिवेदानत सवामी परभुपाद)was born as Abhay Charan De on 1 September 1896 in Calcutta, India.

He first met his spiritual master, Srila Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati Gosvami, in Calcutta in 1922. Bhaktisiddhanta Sarasvati, a prominent devotional scholar and the founder of sixty-four branches of Gaudiya Mathas (Vedic inst
More about A.C. Bhaktivedanta Swami Prabhupāda...