Start by marking “Aftershock (H.I.V.E., #7)” as Want to Read:
Aftershock (H.I.V.E., #7)

Aftershock (H.I.V.E. #7)

4.33  ·  Rating Details ·  2,392 Ratings  ·  65 Reviews
Scheming, extorting, menacing and general evilness are nothing new in the world of villainy - indeed it's expected. But there are codes of conduct. Until now. In an attempt to purge the Global League of Villainous Enterprises of its more destructive elements, Dr Nero has underestimated the cunning and resources of those who oppose him.

Meanwhile, Otto and the rest of the Al
Published August 1st 2011 by Bloomsbury UK (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Aftershock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Aftershock

Lois
Mar 19, 2012 Lois rated it really liked it
A year or two ago I had to come to terms with the fact that reading from the 8-12 section in bookstores was no longer entirely satisfying. Since that time there seems to have been a massive upsurge in book series which on the surface are my kind of book, but on reading are quite dull, cliched and unoriginal. I appreciate that a lot of this is because the books are not aimed at 22-year-olds, but it's frustrating for me to start a series, but be entirely unexcited when the next book is published, ...more
Hayden
Aug 28, 2011 Hayden rated it it was amazing
Expected publication September 5th? IT HAS ALREADY BEEN RELEASED.

I wasn't expecting to buy this so early, but we on out way to Oxford and there was a bookstore in the service station...

Cliffy. Cliffy. Cliffy. Cliffy. AAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Laura has a little brother? Awwwwww.

Well, I really liked this. And I'm glad that Otto left H.I.V.E; I think it was holding him back from adventures and stuff because of the rules and things. I just hope whatever he does next will be as adventurous
Alethea
Jan 09, 2012 Alethea rated it really liked it
I absolutely love the series, but this book went really fast. I am hungry for more!
15KhanN1
Jun 27, 2017 15KhanN1 rated it liked it
Lauren
May 05, 2016 Lauren rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
The seventh novel in Mark Walden's H.I.V.E series, Aftershock, is a wonderful book. It tells yet another adventure Otto Malpense and his friends go on. Dr. Nero, now the head of of the Global League of Villainous Enterprises, is trying to restore the organization to its former glory, but with the organization's old, fired members fighting to regain their original power it will be a hard task to accomplish. Dr. Nero also has to worry about the annual exercise, called the Hunt that H.I.V.E holds, ...more
Derrick
Peter Lin
Feb 04, 2016 Peter Lin rated it it was amazing
Matthew Brown
Apr 11, 2012 Matthew Brown rated it it was amazing
"Spoiler"!! All I can say is WOW! This was one of the best books I have ever read. I love the excitement and the tension that this book institutes. The book follows the events in Otto's life (Main Character) as he attends a school for super villains known as H.I.V.E, or the Higher Institute of Villainous Education. The setting takes place in Serbia while the student's known as Alpha's are on a training mission known as "The Hunt". The main struggle is between Otto and his friends, against an evi ...more
Shannon
Feb 19, 2012 Shannon rated it liked it
This is not usually a book I'd decide to pick up but I felt somewhat guilted into it when a free copy arrived in the mail with a note saying "Dear Shannon, Thought you might appreciate a reading copy". Gee, you shouldn't have. But by golly these book reps certainly know what they're doing, without this note, I would never have read and thus never have recommended this series EVER. It seems however that this is actually a fantastic series.

Granted I started on number 7 so I blundered my way throug
TheTinFoilHatter
Aug 23, 2016 TheTinFoilHatter rated it it was amazing
They might have stopped the threat of Overlord, but the aftermath of their many adventures is still there for the villains of H.I.V.E. to take on. When the remnants of the G.L.O.V.E. council join forces with the Disciples and their mysterious new leader, they prepare to unleash their wrath on H.I.V.E. This book delves further into Ravens origins while showing the further events of the established story of the Disciples.
At every turn there's compelling advancement of the characters, great action
Katrina Ly
Dec 10, 2011 Katrina Ly rated it it was amazing
to be honest i'd actually prefer to rate this book 4.5 than 5 but whatever! IT WAS SO AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the reason i wanted to rate this 4.5 rather than 5 was actually cos sometimes the book just makes me go really? really? seriously? and because sometimes it just annoys me with how the kids otto and his friends don't really talk like you'd expect them to you know? but more like 80 year old very very sophisticated speaking people. do you know what i mean?

at any rate, thats really all i c
PurplyCookie
Otto and the rest of the elite Alpha stream at H.I.V.E. have been sent on their most dangerous exercise yet: The Hunt. But when Otto and the rest of the Alphas arrive in the icy wastes of Siberia, it becomes clear that something is wrong. Dr Nero, the head of the school, has made some powerful enemies at the Global League of Villainous Enterprises (G.L.O.V.E.)--and the first strike against Nero will be a strike against the Alpha stream.

I wish Walden would hurry up and release the next book in th
Bailey
Sep 08, 2016 Bailey rated it it was amazing
This book was amazing!like all of the H.I.V.E. books. I loved how they let us look into Raven's past and see what she's been through. My heart seized up when I saw that Laura did the thing. I reread that part three times just to make sure I wasn't misunderstanding. And Furan!!! ASHDKFLGL!!! She needs to die!!! I have no effin' idea why Otto didn't effin' shoot her when he had her at gunpoint! I was yelling at him!! If only he had shot her... Okay, I'm in control now. Not going to lie, I cried wh ...more
With both finals and a training exercise known as the Hunt (twenty-four hours in Siberia being stalked by an assassin) looming, Otto the cyborg and his supervillain-in-training friends plan an elaborate hack on their school's supercomputer to give themselves an edge. Little do they realize that their headmaster's numerous nemeses have just allied themselves with the acolytes of a deranged AI Otto destroyed, which is going to seriously raise the body count of the next few days. Only one person re ...more
Will
Mar 31, 2013 Will rated it it was amazing
This is my favourite book by a milestone! Everything comes together so well and it seems to have absolutely everything in it. From wit to action, betrayal and a massive bombshell at the end! Once you have started reading it, you cannot stop.

I especially liked the background to Raven, it just added to her character really well and as anyone who has read the book will know her background is a crucial part of the story (not wanting to give too much away). I am really looking forward to the next bo
Laurel
Aug 18, 2013 Laurel rated it really liked it
Aftershock is yet another great addition to the H.I.V.E.series. It's a page turner but watch out for the cliffhanger. It's a big one...

Scariness Factor: None, really

Content Issues: Violence, disregard for the laws of common man, glorification of being a villain, blurring of ideas of right and wrong, children in peril

A note on my content warnings: I try to think of what might offend ANYONE about this book. This is by no means a list of what offended me. At all. I'm just trying to help everyone fi
Jitesh
Jul 10, 2014 Jitesh rated it it was amazing
This book is easily the best so far in the series. There were quite a few unexpected twists, including (view spoiler), (view spoiler) and (view spoiler).

The book gave some background information on Raven, which I found really interesting. I have always wondered how Raven became such an amazing assassin. (view spoiler)
Nat Sutton
Dec 29, 2011 Nat Sutton rated it it was amazing
This book is sooooo amazing! I couldnt believe who the traitor was in the end. The ending made me wonder why Raven ended up working for Nero at all.

The flashbacks confused me at first, but soon I realized the double meaning behind them. Not only did they provide background for Anastasia Furhan and where Laura, Nigel, Penny, and Tom, it left a clue to a comment made in passing for those observant enough to find it.

Mark Walden should be cursed for his inability to make an ending that doesnt leave
Emyrose8
Apr 07, 2015 Emyrose8 rated it really liked it
I forgot how good these books are... it's been a while since I read book #6 of this series, but it wasn't too long before I was right in the thick of things with Otto, Shelby, Wing, Laura, and Raven. Definite cliff-hanger ending... make sure book #8 is in your possession before you read this one!

Note- there's a lot more casual swearing in this book than I remember there being in previous books.
Cathrine Bonham
Nov 28, 2015 Cathrine Bonham rated it it was amazing
Aftershock is the seventh book in the H.I.V.E. series. It comes after the shocking events of the sixth book, Zero Hour.

If you are already a fan of H.I.V.E. then you know that only the worst review would keep you from reading this novel. This is not the worst review. I gave it five stars. Further more I eagerly await the moment when I can get my hands on the next book in the series.
James
Dec 20, 2012 James rated it it was amazing
Aftershock (H.I.V.E Series Book) By Mark Waldon

I think the book Aftershock, By Mark Waldon, would fit readers who like science fiction, realistic fiction, action, and suspense. This book is really suspense full, for example, this one time, three different places get attacked at the same time. I also really like this book because you read from multiple characters perspectives, giving you a better understanding of the main plot.
Evan E.
Sep 25, 2015 Evan E. rated it it was amazing
Shelves: language-arts-8
I really liked Aftershock because the story was very fast-paced and had lots of action. In my textual lineage, I thought that this book would be good because I had read the six books prior, and I had enjoyed this series up to this point, so I was correct that I would like this book. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys adventure and science fiction books.
Kit Kat
SPOILERS!!!!!!!!!!

Okay, first THIS IS THE BEST FREAKING BOOK I HAVE EVER READ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It was soooo full of twists and turns, and I am freaking in love with Otto!! and Laura.... oh I hate her now, but now she will become the next Raven.... Oh gods I cant bear it, and what they did to Otto! I HATE ALL OF THEM!!!
Dru
May 06, 2014 Dru rated it liked it
Shelves: j-sci-fi
I seem to act the same way after I haven't read a H.I.V.E. book in a while: "Ugh did I like this before?" "ugh this dialogue!" And then as the books action ramps up I remember why I love it. Great action, questionable morality throughout and the dialogue that I hate so much at the start is a lightener for serious moments later in the novel.
Earth
Apr 16, 2013 Earth rated it it was amazing
this is my most favorite series. I haven't find any thing wrong with it nor any thing that i don't like about it. the story, the writing style, the word and etc are perfect. the only thing is I couldn't put the book down. i just want to keep go on with the book. I so want to know what going to happen next because it sort of ended in the middle of the whole thing still going on.
Jodie
Feb 23, 2014 Jodie rated it really liked it
In this book, the Alpha stream at H.I.V.E. gets sent on an exercise called the Hunt, where they have to hide from Raven as long as possible, but a traitor reveals their location and the students are attacked by people against H.I.V.E. and the villain league, G.L.O.V.E. This book is very interesting and action-packed, I definitely recommend it.
Elaine
Apr 18, 2013 Elaine rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: spy fans
I can't wait for the next book! It's exciting to know what will happen next with Otto and Raven on a mission. Is Otto really expelled from H.I.V.E because of the massacre of the Alpha stream or is he given a mission of sorts by Dr. Nero? I want to know what is the connection of Dr. Nero to Madame Furan. This book is a big cliffhanger to me.
Sara
I truly love this series. I had forgotten how much I like it. Such a fun set of books. And oooooowee this one leaves off with a killer cliffhanger. Thank goodness I have book 8 waiting for me upstairs. Now if I can only find the will power to do the actual things I need to do today and not just go read some more.
Jill Cd
A 3.5 in adventure. I have only read the first book and this one in this series. I like that you can pick up the book and understand it without reading all the others in the series. Kids who like action packed adventure will enjoy.
Niki
Aug 07, 2014 Niki rated it really liked it
I really liked this book and understood how everything happened (even though its the 7th book in the series and I haven't read the others!) and the plots were really good and I just massively enjoyed it.
  • Virus Attack (Hero.Com, #2)
  • The Secret War (Jack Blank Adventure, #2)
  • Gates of Rome (TimeRiders, #5)
  • Jimmy Coates: Blackout (Jimmy Coates, #7)
  • The Reckoning (The New Heroes/Quantum Prophecy, #3)
  • The Eternal Tomb (Oliver Nocturne, #5)
  • Hurricane Gold (Young Bond, #4)
  • Monster Madness (Nightmare Academy #2)
  • The Lab (Agent Six of Hearts, #1)
  • The Prisoner (Henderson's Boys, #5)
I am the world’s laziest man.

No…really. Not just a bit slack, really, truly, breathtakingly lazy.

Which is why it’s taken me so long to get off my big, lazy rear end and get myself properly on-line.

I’m the author of the HIVE series of books which I hope that some of the people who stumble across this might have read and enjoyed. Or read and hated…

I am fortunate enough to live with the two most beau
More about Mark Walden...

H.I.V.E. (9 books)
  • H.I.V.E. Higher Institute of Villainous Education (H.I.V.E., #1)
  • The Overlord Protocol (H.I.V.E., #2)
  • Escape Velocity (H.I.V.E., #3)
  • Dreadnought (H.I.V.E, #4)
  • Rogue (H.I.V.E, #5)
  • Zero Hour (H.I.V.E, #6)
  • Deadlock (H.I.V.E., #8)
  • Untitled (H.I.V.E., #9)

“Bang," Otto said as he simultaneously triggered the detonators in all of the helicopter's remaining missiles.” 4 likes
“What?’ Otto said as he finished soldering one of the contact points on the device in front of him. ‘It’s not like we’re being trained to follow the rules here. If anything, I think Nero should reward us for our determination and initiative.’

‘Can you fit “determination and initiative” on a headstone?’ Laura asked as she leant in to examine Otto’s handiwork.”
3 likes