Start by marking “The Haunted E-book” as Want to Read:
The Haunted E-book

The Haunted E-book

3.73  ·  Rating details ·  78 Ratings  ·  39 Reviews
Dee escapes her dreary librarian job and unfaithful boyfriend by reading romance and fantasy on her Kindle.

She tries The Haunted E-book, the story of a 19th century tramp printer whose ghost awakens whenever someone reads a book he created. The ghost stalks his readers and threatens them with death if they stop reading the book. Though she doesn’t usually like ghost storie
Nook, 246 pages
Published January 1st 2011 by JLBryanbooks.com (first published December 18th 2010)

To ask other readers questions about The Haunted E-book, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Haunted E-book

Karen
Dec 11, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: on-my-kindle
Firstly let me say that I don’t usually read horror. I live alone with my 4 year old son and I have a very vivid imagination. So why, you might ask, did I choose to read The Haunted E-Book? Curiosity. That’s it. The title intrigued me so much I just had to see what it was about ... and you know what curiosity did to the cat! So yes, this book freaked me out just a little, but that’s what horror books are supposed to do, right?

The story starts with a character reading about another character read
Lilac Wolf
Apr 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
First off let me say this book is available on paperback, but come on, you have to read it electronically to get the full fear-factor!

This book will take you on a ride. It jumps around with stories, within stories within stories. It's a mirrored effect of people reading about people reading the book. Dee is the main character, living in a small town with a loser boyfriend. She works as a librarian but is held back by a mixture of her color and being an outsider in town. She moved there because o
Kim
Jan 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For most of us, delving into a book is an escape, a temporary break from the mundane things that make up our reality. It can be a trip to another time, another place, another dimension, another reality. But can it also be something more? Can something as innocent as reading truly unleash an evil, unlike anything you could possibly imagine? If asked, I would say no, that reading is simply a journey from life. But after reading The Haunted E-book? I would have to question that answer. I love a boo ...more
Lunamoth
Jan 31, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Haunted Ebook will grab you and not let go! I do not read horror books for the sole reason that they scare me. Yes, i am a big baby and
i get spooked easily. The Haunted Ebook had me looking over my shoulder and i had to keep reading, lest Jonah come and kill me.

The book takes place in modern times, With our main character being a librarian named Dee. One day Dee gets bored or her horrible romance story
and decides to pick up a horror book instead. She then samples The Haunted Ebook, and he
Shy
Reading is the finest route that someone can take to briefly escape from the nagging sound of reality. A journey that an avid readers willingly walk through in order to get to another world where he or she no longer needs to be the player but settle for a role as a mere observer. Though what if this supposedly short journey morphs into a winding nightmare that one cannot disembark from? What if during that journey, you unleash something that could torment your life and those that you love?

That i
Heather
Feb 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entire review by me and OnePushyFox on BewitchedBookworms.com (http://www.bewitchedbookworms.com/201...)

I don't get creeped out by horror novels or movies. Blood and guts? Serial killers and zombies galore? Snore. When I read the book description, I first thought it sounded like that movie where if you watch the videotape some creepy, dirty chick comes out of your television to kill you. After I read about a quarter of The Haunted E-Book, I knew this story was nothing like that craptastic movie.
Andra
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow. Just Wow...I somehow found my way to J.L.'s Blog the other day, where I read about this book's blog tour. I checked out a couple of links, reading interviews and such, and I found myself liking the hilarious interviews and just the general banter that the author supplied. Though it isn't true for all books, typically when I like the flow the author has in real life I like the way they write as well. This was no exception.

The haunted e-book was everything you wan in a horror book. There was
Claudia
Jan 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the reason I enjoy horror (books, movies) is that your suspension of disbelieve doesn't end after the story is finished. After a good scare, you still check under the bed, sleep with the lights on, and have nightmares. The Haunted E-Book was no exeption. Sure, there was a little bit of gore, but it was the characters and storytelling that made this book rate high on the scary meter.

This was the first book I've ever read where I actually felt like I was actually a part of the story. I act
One Pushy Fox
Dec 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Creepy with a capital C is what this book is!!!! But also fantastic. I COULD NOT PUT IT DOWN, and in no small part because I was so freaked out by the idea that ol' Numberface was going to come after me! YIKES! I'll be posting my full review on Bewitched Bookworms soon with Heather but I just had to say, once again, Mr. Bryan hits it out of the park!

EXCELLENT JOB!!! Go read it now...if you dare!!!!!!!
A.E.
Never before have the words “Read any good books lately?” chilled me. Once you’ve reached the end of this text, you’ll be even more creeped out than you were before. You’ll always have a sense of foreboding after you start reading e-books on your e-readers, as well. Even if you use a device other than the Kindle, which I do.

To read the full review, go here.
Robert Duperre
Dec 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Rating: 4.5 out of 5

It’s a great feeling when you come across an idea you haven’t seen before, isn’t it? I mean, we’ve all read stories of haunted houses, haunted cars, even haunted people…but a haunted ebook? I mean, think about it for a second—even the term didn’t exist ten years or so ago.

Which makes the appropriately-titled The Haunted E-Book, written by J.L. Bryan of Jenny Pox fame, the first of its kind. This is a primacy that all writers yearn for but very few achieve.

On to the story.

Dee
Orbs n Rings
Mar 26, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reviewed
You will shiver and never look at your own skin the same way again after taking in this creepy tale of the 19th century and Kindle conjuncture.

OK so I agreed to review The Haunted E-book for JL Bryan. Being a person who's interest lies in the paranormal I was more than happy to give it a read. I start to read about Dee, a girl who has a sort of a life, but then starts reading a book on her Kindle also called The Haunted Ebook. So I start chugging along through the first few chapters. Hmm, OK so
Jamie (LadyJai) Dement
I recently won an electronic copy or J. L. Bryan’s The Haunted E-Book in exchange for a review. I have been a fan of horror since my first encounter at the age of nine, when my parents bought me The Complete Short Stories of Edgar Allen Poe. Alongside Poe, I grew up with Stephen King, Peter Straub, and John Saul. I’ve never really been actually scared but the deep psychological thrillers always seemed to pique my interest. I hadn’t been reading horror for quite some time now as Sci-Fi, Fantasy, ...more
Craig Hansen
May 18, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
THE HAUNTED EBOOK by J.L. Bryan presents an interesting conundrum for the average reader. On the one hand, the plot is not much deeper than the average Nightmare On Elm Street movie, or at least the first installment of that series. We get the origin of Jonah and establish his modus operandi.

We also get the Exceptional Female Heroine, who is just a bit brighter than Jonah's average victims and will present a challenge worthy of taking him out of his killing ways. So from a plot structure standpo
Mary Grace
Dec 27, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The story is about Dee who is a librarian by profession. Dee's life is somewhat nonexistent except for a crappy boyfriend, her passion in books and the library, and her cat. One day Dee reads a horror book, a genre which she doesn't really read, and it changed her life entirely - and not in a good way.

The Haunted E-book is a story about an obsessed killer during the 19th century who kills people out of his passion for writing. As Dee reads the story, strange things are happening not only with th
Hira
Feb 14, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Horror Lovers, Horror Fans, Fans of Gorey Horror Novels
J.L. Bryan's "The Haunted E-Book" can easily be described as a deplorable tale, full of horror, gore, sex and gratuitous behavior. At times these elements play very well into the "horror" genre, but at times they seem forced and unnecessary in the progression of the novel.

Also, the whole "story within the story" feature is something I've always found interesting - and I found it interesting in the case of this book as well. I like tracking two stories to the point of their intersection, and it
Shelleyrae at Book'd Out
Jan 13, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Shelleyrae by: J.L. Bryan
I am happy to support J L Bryan with the release of his newest publication, The Haunted E-book. Jeff is currently promoting his new novel with a book blog tour, offering fabulous prizes including print and eformat copies of The Haunted E-book, The Haunted Library and a Kindle WiFi. You will have an opportunity to enter for several prizes both today and tomorrow on Book’d Out.

Jenny Pox, published last year, has been a hit with a rare cross appeal offering something for both the mature and young a
Alexandria Thompson
I won an electronic copy of this in exchange for a review. The writing is a bit clunky and it could have been smoother, but as a whole the idea behind it is one that has been done before. It was nice though to see the idea flushed out via a kindle to make us e-book readers set down whatever we're reading the book with to take a look at our surroundings to make sure someone else is at least in the house with us. (I know I did)

I have to admit the bits of sex scenes rather made me roll my eyes and
Sarah-Jayne Briggs
I bought this book for my Kindle partly because I liked Jenny Pox by the same author and also because I liked the blurb on the back.

I'm kind of picky when it comes to pure horror in books. I don't find it entertaining that often, but I found myself liking the characters in this book. Some of the scenes were incredibly gory and disturbing - and there was one scene in particular that creeped me out completely (book virus, for those of you who have read it).

The dipping between characters wasn't as
Anne
May 29, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I, too, won a copy with a request to write a review. I read this about 3 weeks ago on vaction and don't remember the sex scenes that were mentioned by a couple of other reviewers. Maybe I had an earlier version or they just weren't memorable as either good or bad to me. I also don't recall the editing being poor enough to note it.

Truthfully, this would have been a DNF if I hadn't felt an obligation to write a review. I found the start to be quite slow, but it picked up in the last 40%. I also fo
Jenny
Jun 11, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this book. Initially I thought it sounded a little predictable but I was interested in how the author would develop the story.

At the beginning I found myself a little lost in which story I was reading but after a few chapters, I got the hang of it. I did take time to stop on occasion and straighten out the order of each of the sub-stories in the book.

Although I was confused a few times, I thought this was an interesting way to present this book. I
Mary  (Biblophile)
I just couldn't put this book down although I felt there was way too much gratituous gore, sex, and violence. The writing style reminded me of the old pulp horror stories of the 1960s and 70s. A better editing job on the numerous grammatical errors would have greatly improved the reading experience.

That being said, I loved the concept of a story within a story within a story. Although I had no problem following the story, I could see where it might be confusing for some. The idea of finding a bo
Wendy-Lynn
The Haunted E-Book by JL Bryan was indeed a very unique story. It follows Dee, a librarian, who is tired of reading the same old romance novels. She decides to purchase a horror novel and begins reading it on her Kindle. Unbeknownst to her she is reading a story within a story. Because of this, it started to get a little confusing bouncing back and forth. The creepy guy with the teeth will forever "haunt" me. Overall, if you like horror novels (and this had some gruesome parts in it), give it a ...more
Merriwether
May 23, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: gave-up-on
A bit too gruesome, not worse than Jason or Hannibel Lecture movies, this book definitely started picking up aroind 200 pages in, if you stick with it until there you get more of a feel for the way the characters are reading about each others nightmarish lives. It didn't scare me so much as gross me out and I honestly lost interest in it around pg 480. I may go back to it. I was looking forward to reading Jenny Pox by this author, so I hope those books are better.
Suzie
Dec 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011
Very clever book! Though a serious horror at times, it had some delightfully funny parts too, like when she calld Amazon customer service to find out what was wrong with her kindle device LOL. That cracked me up. I thought the book was very well written and searched the author to find others of similar nature.

Read this one!
Bewitched Bookworms
This book will get under your skin and fast and you'll find that whether you believe the implied threat that to stop reading is to invite death, you just can't leave this story alone.

Read the full review here.
J. Ewbank
Mar 07, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: a-good-read, novel, horror
This book by J. L. Bryan is an interesting read and very unusual book. The plot is out of this world in that it involved the haunting of an e-book story. The characters are interesting and believable and for those who like horror books, this one will be one they will be happy to read. I am glad I did.

J. Robert Ewbank author "John Wesley, Natural Man, and the 'Isms'"
Lauralynn Elliott
This book isn't for the faint of heart. It's very creepy and has a very scary character that terrorizes the others. This is almost like a book within a book within a book. Even with the twists in this novel, it's still easy for the reader to follow what's going on. This is a great story and will keep you reading into the dead of night...if you dare.
Debi Faulkner
Apr 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the idea of this book -- how the characters were interwoven and played in one another's stories. The only thing that dropped it a star for me was that there were times when I felt things just dragged on a bit. This wasn't a bit problem, though (thus the 4-star rating!).
Patricia
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Just as the book says "I don't usually read books with blood and gore but I can't seem to put it down". The book was awesome! I kept waiting for my kindle to chime at me when I wasn't reading thankfully it never did!
« previous 1 3 next »
  • Dusty Waters: A Ghost Story
  • The Fall (The Rift #1)
  • The Medium Next Door: Adventures of a Real-Life Ghost Whisperer
  • Truth and Dare: 20 Tales of Heartbreak and Happiness
  • Speed Dating with the Dead
  • Shivers VI
  • The Impaler (Sam Markham, #2)
  • Sudden Moves
  • The Opposite of Amber
  • House of Spirits and Whispers: The True Story of a Haunted House
  • The Trust (Secret Society, #2)
  • Reunion
  • Death Has a Name (Brodie Wade, #1)
  • Field of Screams: Haunted Tales From The Baseball Diamond, The Locker Room, And Beyond
  • Daughter of Deception (Family Lies, #1)
  • Dearly Departed (Secret Sisters Mystery #2)
  • Digger's Bones
  • The Game of Sunken Places (Norumbegan Quartet, #1)
J.L. Bryan studied English literature at the University of Georgia and at Oxford, with a focus on English Renaissance and Romantic literature. He also studied screenwriting at UCLA. He lives in the metro Atlanta sprawl with his wife Christina, where he spends most of his day serving the toddler and animal community inside his house. He is the author of the Paranormals series and the Songs of Magic ...more
More about J.L. Bryan...