Start by marking “Strawgirl (Bo Bradley, #2)” as Want to Read:
Strawgirl (Bo Bradley, #2)

Strawgirl (Bo Bradley #2)

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  207 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Following the success of Child of Silence, Padgett's heroine Bo Bradley, child abuse investigator for the San Diego juvenile court system, returns, as she is assigned to retrive an abused child's ten-year-old sister from her parents, members of a New Age group.
Published February 1st 1995 by Warner Books (NY) (first published 1994)

To ask other readers questions about Strawgirl, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Strawgirl

☘Misericordia☘  ⚡ϟ⚡ϟ⚡⛈   ❂❤❣
Q:
"I don't find this hard to believe," Bo whispered to a social worker from the probation department seated beside her, "I find it impossible to believe!""Shh," the woman replied, writing "Satanic conspiracy" in purple ink on a lavender legal pad. "That's how they operate. They know people won't believe it."
(c)
Q:
"You're not going to believe this!" Bo told Estrella when she returned at noon. "I've seen a lot of nuts in my day. I've been a nut in my day. But nothing can touch this overdressed psyc
Jmr
Apr 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: abigail-padgett
I love this series am looking forward to reading the rest of the related books. Only sorry to see she seems to have discontinued stories about Bo Bradley and moved on to other material.
Margaret
[book:Strawgirl|104128

From the Book
Second in the award-winning Bo Bradley mystery series, STRAWGIRL throws child abuse investigator Bo into the curious world of cults, and pits her against the most loathsome of antagonists.

The rape/murder of a little girl is exploited by a sensation-seeking psychologist, arousing the public to a frenzy of mindless rage toward “Satanists” while Bo struggles to protect the murdered child’s sister and save an unjustly accused man from prison.

Complicating everything
Judie
Jun 13, 2013 rated it really liked it
In STRAWGIRL, Bo Bradley, a social worker employed as an investigator for the San Diego Children’s Protective Services Department is asked “Why do you risk so much? What makes you do what you do?” That is a question many people may ask themselves.
Her response, “Who knows....I have risk built into my chemistry. Any day may bring fears beyond anything real life can produce. It provides a somewhat larger perspective, maybe. Or it may be a pitiable adolescent need to defy authority.”
The Strawgir
Stacy
Aug 11, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Serious novel

that has real life scenarios. I really like that the main character is bipolar. I'm a therapist & dislike the way her life appears to be so clear & problem free. almost promoting not taking meds. people that are bipolar do stop taking meds for reasons the author explains. unfortunately she doesn't state that each time one goes off them, the meds become less effective. wish the author had written as "I" vs "she" it puts distance between the author & reader. includes a be
Kevin Black
Nov 21, 2014 rated it it was ok
It had some good writing, but also it read like some editor had told her, your next book needs more sex and violence--the more, the better. Also, the main character's Weltanschauung is just too far from mine to be anything but frustrating: sex is just an itch to scratch that ends most relationships, no use for marriage, no use for religion or for that matter for most religious people, etc. Plus, as in the first book, her conviction that she can tell when she needs her lithium and (more troubling ...more
Katy
Feb 03, 2013 rated it really liked it
Charity shop find a few years back and i've never found any of her others. This is book two in a series about Bo Bradley who is a child protection social worker with manic depression. According to the blurb, the first volume was the first ever to feature an investigator with manic depression. In this one, a young child dies and an 'expert' is trying to use the case to drum up media attention for satanic abuse and her own book. Bo has to find out the truth, aided by a handsome doctor and a native ...more
Pam
Jan 26, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction
I didn't like this book as much as her first one in the Bo Bradley series. The story dealt with a child molester turned murderer, which is difficult for me to read. I admire the heroine, as portrayed by the author as a manic depressive personality who hates taking her lithium. She feels more in tune with people and the situations surrounding the cases she works in the Child Protection Agency without taking drugs. She always gets her man. Will probably read the next book in the series.
Patricia
Aug 15, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novel, kindle
To the best of my knowledge I'm not personally acquainted with someone who has manic depressive disorder. The second book in the
Bo Bradley series is a good story but it's Padgett's insight into the daily life of a manic depressive (and several other mental health issues)
that makes this a really good book.

No sex
the violent murder isn't graphic
SweetCheeses And Coffee Dreams
Oct 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I love Abigail Padgett's writing, and how she includes politically sensative material, like the stigma of the mentally ill, while composing an intellegent thriller along the way. Bo Bradly is my favorite heroine of all time~!
Tamara
Jun 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This is the 3rd book I have read by Abigail Padgett and the 2nd with this character. The storylines are typical of the crime/mystery genre but with the interesting perspective of the main character being bi-polar. Overall, good beach book.
Jack
Mar 16, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bo is a child protection specialist with the refreshingly different perspective of bipolar disorder. She pursues the mystery of a brutal case of child abuse which is not as easy to solve as it might first appear to be.
karen kincaid
Dec 29, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting

Not as good as the first book but still worth the effort. Vague on some aspects that should've been explained and expounded on more. Then long winded and rambling at other times.
Bcgrad
May 27, 2009 rated it liked it
Favorite Quotes:

"The woman was prey to every vagrancy of emotion, every whim in the shifting winds of her time."

"Sometimes it's impossible to understand the up side without comprehension of the depths."
Joelle
Feb 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
I enjoyed the first Bo Bradley book more than this one. I am not sure if it was the whole story or just the subject that made this one harder to read. I will give the Bo Bradley series the benefit of the doubt and read the next one.
Dec 18, 2014 rated it liked it
a perfectly fine sauna read at the gym.
Jeanne
Jul 06, 2013 rated it liked it
Again I'm stumped. Way too much trying to make the reader understand bipolar instead if mystery yet the plot is interesting. Too graphic violence for me
Susan
Jan 22, 2014 rated it it was ok
Love Padgett's writing skills, but didn't like the graphic descriptions of the crimes.
Cindy
Mar 01, 2014 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed this one. Loved the Indian culture brought in to the story. Kind of a little wordy in spots but overall I really enjoyed it.
Julie Daraska
Jun 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
good genre fiction, flawed amateur PI with bipolar disorder. It makes bipolar more accessible and less frightening.
Sharla
Aug 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
You will need tissues.
Darla
Nov 12, 2012 rated it did not like it
I only read about 1/3 of this book and could not get in to it. It just never grabbed me at and it's rare that I don't finish a book :(
Isabelle
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
More psychological insight into the mind of a manic depressive but also with other mental disorder and people that are just different.
Elizabeth Ruby
Sep 14, 2014
Mya
May 15, 2013
Dianne Peace
Uplifting among the sorrow

Would that we had a thousand Bo Bradley's to champion our children. She's a strong lead for a sensitive subject and I hope Andrew finds a more direct route into her heart.
Antje
Aug 15, 2013
Kimberly
Aug 31, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
  • Faint Echoes Of Laughter  (Empty Chairs, #2)
  • Mermaids on the Golf Course: Stories
  • You Are Loved . . . an email memoir
  • The Silk Weaver's Daughter
  • An Owl's Whisper
  • Gold and Fishes
  • claire-obscure
  • Shell House
  • Chosen (The Amish Bloodsuckers Trilogy)
  • Feenlicht und Krötenzauber (Sumpfloch-Saga #1)
  • Catnip (The Dunbarton Mysteries Series, #1)
  • Midwyf: Liza
  • Pearls
  • You Have Chosen to Remember: A Journey from Perception to Knowledge, Peace of Mind and Joy
  • The Instant Genius
  • The Etruscan
  • The Valley of Heaven and Hell - Cycling in the Shadow of Marie-Antoinette
  • The French Girl

Bo Bradley (5 books)
  • Child of Silence (Bo Bradley, #1)
  • Turtle Baby (Bo Bradley, #3)
  • Moonbird Boy (Bo Bradley, #4)
  • The Dollmaker's Daughters