Start by marking “St. Patrick's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #14)” as Want to Read:
St. Patrick's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #14)

St. Patrick's Day Murder

(Lucy Stone #14)

Not many people in Tinker's Cove, Maine, knew Old Dan Malone. The grizzled barkeep's social circle was limited to the rough-hewn lobstermen and other assorted toughs that frequented his bar, a derelict main street dive called, appropriately, the Bilge. But when his body is found bobbing in the town's icy harbor, Lucy Stone, ace reporter for the Pennysaver newspaper, makes ...more
Published January 1st 2008 by Kensington

To ask other readers questions about St. Patrick's Day Murder, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about St. Patrick's Day Murder

Kat
Mar 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: library-2
My recipe for a great holiday-themed cozy: a mystery that’s not too easy to solve. Check! Small-town characters that have you snorting and smiling the entire time. Check! I just love Tinker’s Cove, Maine and its lobstermen. Lots of zany holiday-themed occurrences so you can’t forget what day is approaching. Yay, this had that in spades, from a murder in an Irish bar, to the brother and mysterious red-haired wife coming back to Tinker’s cove to claim the property, (view spoiler) ...more
Mayda
May 21, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: cozy, mystery
Making dinner, doing laundry, taking her kids to school, and writing stories about dead bodies for The Penny Saver - it’s just another day in the life of Lucy Stone. But this dead body is a bit different from most: it’s headless. Though this book can be enjoyed as a standalone, the real pleasure of the series lies in the character growth and development from story to story. There are some scary moments for Lucy in this installment, and yes, the murder and solution were a bit far-fetched, it was ...more
Meg
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A quick, easy read with a compelling mystery. Needed a bit of editing (such as cleaning up repetitions), but otherwise fine. I will admit that I was rather taken aback by the mc at the end of the
book. Her reaction to a big event, one that had had them on pins and needles no less, was pretty underwhelming.

I've been reading this series out of order but hope to fix that sometime!
Linda
A captivating, light cozy mystery with a colorful array of characters, suspense, guffaws-galore and eerie entertainment!

“The dead don’t give up anything, but the living do.”

St. Patrick’s Day Murder by Leslie Meier is another intriguing installment in the author’s Lucy Stone cozy mystery series set in a small coastal town in Maine. Lucy is a reporter for the Pennysaver, the town’s newspaper. As the story opens, there’s a spooky murder…
“And what do you think you’re doing?” he demanded, feeling
Robin Loves Reading
Lucy Stone is at it again. His name was Old Dan Malone. In Tinker's Cove, Maine, when the barkeep's body was found in the harbor, Lucy made it her aim to discover what happened. But, as usual when it comes to Lucy, a wife, mother, reporter and affable amateur sleuth, she discovers that more than a murder has taken place.

What else is going on? For starters, the town's local musician Dave Reilly claims that he was conned by Old Dan and thus lost a winning lottery ticket. Then another man said that
Mandy
Mar 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Nicole
Another great Lucy Stone cozy mystery - loved it!
Linda Baker
Mar 24, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery, cozy, audiobooks
I enjoyed the 14th book in the Lucy Stone Series even though the motivation for this particular murder is more than a little far-fetched. A visit to Tinker Cove and it's residents is always fun. A quick read.
Heidi Burkhart
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love the audiobook version as it is perfect for multi-tasking. This is perhaps my favorite Lucy Stone book.
Loraine
Rating: 3.5

I love the tiny village of Tinker Cove Maine along with its citizens. Old Dan has been around forever and is the gumpy, elderly owner of the local tavern, the Bilge. On a cold wintry day in early February, Lucy Stone (the main character and sleuth), sees something unusual floating in the waters off their coast. The grizzly discovery of Old Dan's body begins a set of weird events that cascade from one to another as the town prepares for the annual St. Patrick's Day festival that this y
Kathleen Dixon
I borrowed this from the library in order to do a Book Challenge for St Patrick's Day. One of the other group members (thanks, Sharlene) had found and listed it, and it looked like it could be quite fun.

Quite fun is an adequate description. Meier gives us what could be a fairly gory murder, some colourful characters, and a nice little plot twist. Lucy Stone's life is filled out for us quite nicely (and I daresay that comes out bit by bit if one starts the series from the beginning), and the tow
Amy
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very nice mystery to keep me company on a cold day.. The plot was not too complex but just enough to keep me guessing as to how it would end. Comforting to know that in 2018, when so many series are "three and out" that the library will have more of Lucy's mysteries for me.
Linda
“The dead don’t give up anything, but the living do.”

“And what do you think you’re doing?” he demanded, feeling a large hollowness growing inside him.
Toni
Mar 17, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Since it was coming up on St. Patrick’s Day, I wanted to read a book along that theme on the day of the 17th. I thought it would be fun. I normally don’t pick theme books to read on that specific holiday (except Christmas or Halloween) and I wanted a change of pace. It was still a cozy mystery, so it wasn’t completely out of my wheelhouse.

Lucy Stone was out doing what Lucy Stone does… finding dead bodies. She didn’t actually find this one herself, mind you but coming upon the scene where the own
Brenda
Apr 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Nice to pick up an old Lucy Stone cozy and see what her life was like in 2008.

Spoiler: Lucy becomes a Grandmother on St. Patrick's Day.

Old Dan Malone's brother Dylan arrives from Ireland the same day that Dan floats up headless leaving his home and bar, the Bilge, to his brother. Dylan with wife Moira and young daughter Deirdre have come to direct and star in Tinker Cove's Catholic church musical. Lucy & Bill get involved in solving the crime while their youngest daughter gets caught up in t
Shelleen Toland
May 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: from-library, audio
Lucy Stone is a journalist and whenever a murder happens in her town she always seems to be in the middle of it. This time a body is found in the water and is the bar owner, Dan, of a dive called The Bilge. According to Dave, Dan had conned Dave out of a lottery ticket. Brian, the handyman says Dan stiffed him for repair work. Then Dan's brother, SIL and niece come into town. Dylan and his wife are actors and are putting on a play in town. The SIL and niece tell all these Irish stories that make ...more
Jun 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
I like the Lucy Stone series, and this one did not disappoint. Wild Irish tempers, fairies, and murder take center stage. Molly and Toby have some medical concerns, Zoe acts up, and there's a murder to be solved.

I thought the ending a little unrealistic, but it worked. Will continue the series.
Joy Gerbode
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a really fun, rather intense mystery, though it still sticks to the edges of the cozies. I was really excited about reading the book ... but just a bit disappointed with the end, as it didn't seem to really resolve for me. But it is lots of fun ... and Irish, so how can you go wrong.
Elizabeth
Fun cozy mystery for March! I enjoy visiting Lucy Stone and her family & friends.
Karen B.
One of the things I really enjoy about the Lucy Stone books is that there are so many centered around holidays, so I had to read this one for St. Patrick's Day and I was not disappointed.
Mel
Mar 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
loved the mystery element. love all of the Lucy stone murder mysteries . perfect read for March
Zuleima Salazar
Feb 12, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I was hesitant to read this mystery one, because honestly it just sounded kind of boring. It also took me longer than anticipated to finish this book, which is surprising because they are short fast reads. There were also many parts in the book that really bugged me. A few of the scenes were when Lucy mentioned that Toby should be married before having children, I know Meier seems to be an older author with certain views but that right there was just nonsense that should have been omitted from t ...more
Luffy
Jul 13, 2014 rated it really liked it
Waiting for an excellent Lucy Stone book is like trying to remember that bad boomerang joke. It'll get back to you. Quite a true return to form indeed. Very satisfactory reading. This book shared the unique characteristics that defines every Leslie Meier book plus it had the successful traits that help make a more than good cozy mystery. I enjoyed reading this particular book very much. Can't say that enough. I got the kind of joy and fulfillment that can't be quantified.

If only the villain wa
Amy "the book-bat"
I liked the Irish mythology that was brought in on this one. It wasn't a lot, but it did add something to the story for me. Dylan and Moira were rather annoying and unlikable. The ending was good and somewhat exciting. I didn't want to put the book down for the last few chapters because so much was going on. All in all, not a bad book.
Denise
Jan 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Really a 2.5, not a 3, but since that is not an option... OK cozy murder mystery set in coastal Maine town. Very light weight. Not nearly as well-written or endowed with local color as the Tea Shop cozies of Laura Child. Newspaper production part seems out of date, even for a small town. I did enjoy the bits of Irish folklore and sayings--reminded me of my great grandma and my Grandma Muncey.
Elizabeth Meadows
I skipped over several in this series in order to read this one in March. There were lots of references to Irish folklore so it was fun to read it during this time of year. Now I need to go back and read the ones that I skipped. I think I'm going to really enjoy this series.
Joe O'Connor
Apr 29, 2010 rated it liked it
Very Good; Continuing character: Lucy Stone; As St. Pat's approaches the church is rehearsing a play, directed by a just arrived Irishman whose brother, the local bar owner, was recently murdered
Bridget
Mar 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017-reads
When Lucy Stone heads to the harbor to talk to the new harbormaster, for a newspaper story, she gets more than she could have imagined. The owner of the local dive bar, where all of the fisherman go for their cheap drinks, is found washed up, the body without a head. "Old Dan" as he was known, was not overly popular, but it's still puzzling to everyone how anyone in the town could have committed such a horrible crime.

Old Dan's brother, sister-in-law (both actors in Ireland), and young niece arri
Leslie
Mar 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Delightful read for March! This is my 1st book by Leslie Meier and I enjoyed it beginning to end. It is #14 in the Lucy Stone series and I will definitely be reading more of these.

Tinker's Cove, Maine is a small coastal town where word gets around faster than the local newspaper. Lucy Stone a reporter for the local newspaper and a wife and mother finds herself being a bit of a Sherlock Holmes after a murder has happened and left behind is a headless corpse. Nearing St. Patrick's Day and hearing
Teresa
Jul 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Really enjoyed the next chapter in the Lucy Stone murder mystery series. Lucy always gets herself into a bind. But she has such a good heart and is always trying to help everyone out...being a good friend, a good neighbor, a good mother, and a good wife.

This one starts right off with a murder and you are off on a whirlwind Celtic trip of intrigue. I enjoy the relationships between the characters, the new people you meet, and the same friendly...or not so friendly...faces from previous books.

Lesl
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• A Catered Valentine's Day (A Mystery with Recipes, #4)
  • Plum Pudding Murder / Candy Cane Murder / Sugar Cookie Murder
  • Bedeviled Eggs (Cackleberry Club, #3)
  • A Winter Wonderland (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #18.5)
  • This Old Souse (Bed-and-Breakfast, #20)
  • The Chocolate Cupid Killings (A Chocoholic Mystery, #9)
  • Skating Under the Wire (Rebecca Robbins, #4)
  • The Christmas Cookie Killer (A Fresh-Baked Mystery, #3)
  • Murder of a Royal Pain (A Scumble River Mystery, #11)
Leslie Meier lives in Harwich, Cape Cod, Massachusetts. She is the creator of 'Lucy Stone', a reporter and amateur sleuth in New England.

Lucy Stone (1 - 10 of 27 books)
  • Mistletoe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #1)
  • Tippy Toe Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #2)
  • Trick or Treat Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #3)
  • Back to School Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #4)
  • Valentine Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #5)
  • Christmas Cookie Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #6)
  • Turkey Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #7)
  • Wedding Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #8)
  • Birthday Party Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #9)
  • Father's Day Murder (A Lucy Stone Mystery, #10)
“You know quite well, don’t you?” replied the crow, hopping up onto the bar with a neat flap of his wings. The bird cocked his head and looked him in the eye. “Don’t tell me an Irishman like you, born and bred in the old country, has forgotten the tale of Cú Chulainn?”
“’Tisn’t the sort of thing you can forget,” he told the crow. “Especially that statue in the Dublin General Post Office. A handsome piece of work that is, illustrating how Cú Chulainn knew death was near and tied himself to a post so he could die standing upright, like the hero he was.”
“Cú Chulainn was a hero indeed,” admitted the crow. “And his enemies couldn’t kill him until the Morrighan lit on his shoulder, stealing his strength, weakening him…”
“Right you are. The Morrighan,” he said. The very thought of that fearsome warrior goddess, with her crimson cloak and chariot, set his heart to pounding in his bony old chest.
“And what form did the Morrighan take, might I ask?” inquired the bird.
“A crow,” he said, feeling a great trembling overtake him. “So is that it? Are you the Morrighan come for me?”
“What do you think Daniel Malone?”
0 likes
“C’mon, Barney,” said Lucy. “Can’t you give me something for the paper? A body in the water is big news.”
Lowering his voice so only she could hear, he said, “It’s Old Dan. At least I think it is. It’s hard to tell.”
“The body’s decomposed?” she asked.
“You could say that.”
“His face is gone?” Lucy knew that was common when a body had been in the water. Crabs and fish usually started with the bare skin of the face and hands.
“More than his face,” said Barney. “His whole head’s gone.”
0 likes