Start by marking “Pumpkin Trouble” as Want to Read:
Pumpkin Trouble

Pumpkin Trouble

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  929 ratings  ·  125 reviews
Did that pumpkin just quack?
Published July 26th 2011 by HarperCollins (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about Pumpkin Trouble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pumpkin Trouble

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Pumpkin Trouble
Melissa
Jan Thomas is a storytime godsend--brief stories with real narrative arcs, bold pictures, accessible humor. I think Dust Bunnies might be my all time favorite, but this is no slouch.
Elisabeth
Aug 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This is no "Rhyming dust bunnies" or "What will fat cat sit on" however, it IS a Jan Thomas book.
Dianna
Oct 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Any book (such as this one) that can make a four-year-old laugh must contain a substantial dash of genius.
Lynn
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
Funny book for young kids about a duck getting into pumpkin trouble.
Laurie
Dec 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing
gina
Sep 26, 2016 rated it liked it
Cute little book but I had to return it too quickly to the library because many of the pages were ripped and I was afraid we'd make it worse by reading it before it got repaired :(
Kristen
Nov 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-books, halloween
This was a cute, quick read for Halloween. My daughter is 2 years old and we read this on Halloween night. We were going to bed late, so I was happy for a shorter book. My daughter loves ducks, so she enjoyed seeing the situation that Duck got himself in.

The text was all done in text bubbles from the characters. There were only a few words per page, so it would be an easy book for beginning readers as well.

The illustrations were comical and the fact that duck didn't know that the was the Pumpkin
Mama Bibliosoph
Duck leans too far into a pumpkin he's cleaning out and gets stuck. He runs around with the pumpkin on his head looking for help, and Mouse and Pig think he's a Pumpkin Monster. Duck, hearing of the Pumpkin Monster, doesn't realize it's him and the result is a wonderful chase/crash scene.

The bold, graphic art is super easy on the eyes (perfect for visually hypersensitive kids) and Jan Thomas mostly tells her slapstick stories visually, through the illustrations.

This is a book about perspective-t
Hope McCabe
Nov 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
1. When Duck finds a pumpkin, he decides he is going to carve it and make a jack-o’-lantern. But trouble ensues when Duck gets the pumpkin stuck on his head! Will his friends, Mouse and Pig, be able to help him or will he have to get himself out of this troubling situation?
2. This book is very simple to follow and cute for young children. With simple illustrations, it tells a humorous story and is perfect for the autumn season! Jan Thomas’ book will have young children laughing at Duck’s transfo
Jana
Our favorite characters from Jan Thomas' barnyard books are back for a fun time getting ready for Halloween. Duck is making a jack o'lantern to surprise his friends, Pig and Mouse. Duck runs into a bit of trouble and that creates a crazy adventure for everyone. Young readers will giggle as they read to find out how Duck is going to get out of his jam. The brightly colored, humorous illustrations along with the simple text make this a great picture book to share with younger children in the weeks ...more
Kavir
Sep 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
We got this book since Halloween is around the corner. We were both pleasantly surprised. I loved it. So did my 4 year old. We both laughed at most pages. The story is extremely well communicated and with a lot of punches.

Age - 4
Illustrations - Great
Story - Wonderful
Lesson - N/A (Laugh often?!)

I am sure my boy is going to pick this up more than once in the coming month while the book is by his bedside. I won't object.
Hamish Davidson
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens
The three year thought this book was hilarious. It is very visual with not a lot if text, so it's a quick, fun read.
Amy Oberts
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Jan Thomas' "Pumpkin Trouble" is laugh-out-loud funny! Sharing this story aloud would be an engaging addition to fall story hours for audiences of all ages.
Library Lady Terri
Duck wants to show off his pumpkin to his friends Pig and Mouse. Things don't go quite as planned.

Better as a one-on-one reading them group share. Better for preschoolers instead of toddlers.
June
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Young Halloween and pumpkin requests
Recommended to June by: Polly Ross and Shelley
Thomas and Halloween. Will have to try next October.
Funny and simple with clear illustrations and not a lot of text per page - perfect for toddler and preschool story time.
Stacy
I read this for story time and the kids were cracking up!
Emily Carlyn
Oct 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Have you ever gotten in pumpkin trouble?! What IS pumpkin trouble?!
Leslie Basky
Nov 02, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good book for making text to text connections. Many similarities to Moe Willems piggy and elephant books. Makes the kiddos laugh!!
Molly Cluff (Library!)
Nov 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a great halloween book for our toddler storytime!
Eryn O'Shaughnessy
Dec 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Rating by my daughter. Was pretty funny!!
Robin
Dec 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books, humor
Short and funny! Highly recommended for ages 3-5.
Melissa
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-for-kids
This book provides classic hijinks when Duck ends up stuck in a pumpkin. It’s hilarious and my kids love it.
Tracy Morton
Aug 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
I love the typical Jan Thomas book illustrations. Few words. Humorous.
Katelynne
Oct 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
A funny book great for early readers or a read-aloud.
Aolund
Nov 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Great silly pumpkin fun with Duck, Mouse, and Cow.

Themes: Halloween; Fall
Ann
Ages 2-3, toddler appropriate book--quick, quirky and funny trio of duck, mouse and pig do it again! This time duck doesn't know he is both the hero and the monster.
Ruth
Nov 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens
Simple drawings, fun to read.
Christine Grant
Feb 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
Coundown to Kindergarten: Orange is the Color of the Day

Duck gets trapped in his pumpkin as he attempts to carve a Jack-a-Lantern and becomes the Pumpkin Monster!
Roben
Duck wants to surprise his friends with a jack-o-lantern - and he does indeed surprise them! But not quite the way that he had imagined. A bit of slapstick fun to celebrate fall!
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• How Many Seeds in a Pumpkin?
  • Red Leaf, Yellow Leaf
  • Gustavo, the Shy Ghost
  • The Apple Doll
  • The Biggest Pumpkin Ever
  • Pumpkin Circle: The Story of a Garden
  • Hocus Pocus, It's Fall!
  • The Ugly Pumpkin
  • How Big Could Your Pumpkin Grow?
  • Be Who You Are
  • The Scarecrow
  • Sophie's Squash
When Jan Thomas isn't working on children's books, she's painting pictures, playing the drums, backpacking, or wrangling dust bunnies.