Start by marking “The First Ladies: From Martha Washington to Mamie Eisenhower, an Intimate Portrait of the Women Who Shaped America” as Want to Read:

3.53  ·  Rating details ·  85 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
"The Legacies and Personalities that built the White House"

As a young nation grew into its own, it was not just the presidents who led the way. The remarkable women of the White House, often neglected by history, had a heavy hand in the shaping of America. The earliest First Ladies of the United States left countless untold legacies behind after their role at the White Hou
Published February 1st 2011 by Cumberland House Publishing

To ask other readers questions about The First Ladies, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The First Ladies

Rosemary Miller
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has short stories about important aspects of the first ladies lives. Would be a great starting point for a class project with each student doing more complete research on their individual personality.
Allizabeth Collins
Jan 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
Description:

The First Ladies is a brief, yet intriguing portrait of the remarkable women behind our presidents, and the sacrifices they made for our beloved country - the U.S. of A. From Martha Washington to Mamie Eisenhower, Feather Schwartz Foster takes readers on an entertaining, fascinating, and humorous journey through the lives, loves, and personalities of our often overlooked Founding Mothers.

Review:

My parents have always instilled in my siblings and I that history is important, especi
Tracy Riva
The First Ladies
By Feather Schwartz Foster
Copyright 2011, Published by Cumberland House, ISBN10 1402242727, ISBN 13 978-14-2242724

The First Ladies by Feather Foster Schwartz offers a brief view of the First Ladies of the Presidency of the United States from Martha Washington to Mamie Eisenhower, the last of the First Ladies born in the nineteenth century.

The First Ladies take a brief, but fascinating look into the disposition, life and a contribution each First Lady brought to her husband’s pres
Mel
Aug 27, 2012 rated it liked it
Information on each first lady ending with Mamie Eisenhower shows the individual personalities and personal struggles of each woman and family. Most of the information I found to be new to me and so intriguing. None of the information was came across as scathing, but gave a balance; ie Eleanor Roosevelt did a great deal of work, but for the many people that loved her there were also those that didn't like her. Some of the reasons were included.
The life of the earlier first ladies was harsher th
Yaaresse
Most likely written for high school students, this slim book covers the First Ladies from Martha Washington to Mamie Eisenhower in short (about 1000 word) bios. Rather than trying to shoehorn in a litany of facts, the author picks out the women's most defining characteristic (which is sometimes a tough task given some of the more retiring or unsocial ones) and examples of that attribute.

A good little warm-up for my plan to start reading some bios of Presidents in the coming year. I had been dre
Dayla
Jan 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book and an excellent place to stop, with Mamie Eisenhower. This is but a small snapshot to whet one's appetite to read more about these wonderful women.

Note to Eisenhower Museum in Kansas: Upon my recent visit to Eisenhower's boyhood home, imagine my surprise when I went to the bookshop and found not one book about Mamie Eisenhower. What's up with that? Why between her alleged drinking and the whole Kay Summersby thing, I think this book is dying to be written.

Corgi
Oct 25, 2016 rated it liked it
I enjoyed The First Ladies by Feather Schwartz Foster. Foster indicates at the end of the book her purpose for writing the book and I believe she achieved her goal. I learned something about each First Lady that was featured. I plan on reading more about some of the First Ladies. My only con: more attention could have been paid to editing the book as there are some obvious typos.

I would recommend The First Ladies to readers who enjoy reading about history, women and presidents.
Heidi
Jan 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: big-people-books
This book accomplished what the author set out to do. It gave you a brief overview of overlooked first ladies. However, she kind of took for granted that the reader would know facts and events that I did not. It took me away from their stories trying to find context. (I should have studies US history instead of European.)
Paul Hoffman
Jul 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: biography, historical
An easy, but interesting read. Well researched and concise. I learned a lot; most importantly, that many first ladies were no where near as socially and/or politically ambitious as recent first ladies. Indeed, many of them lead rather tragic lives.
Connie Lindstrom
Jan 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very succinct and entertaining portraits of early First Ladies. The anecdotes and biographical details are well-chosen to provide context and add depth to historical understanding, so the book's more interesting the more history you know.
Lee Ann
Jan 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
This was an easy read, with some interesting profiles of first ladies. It included some facts of which I was unaware, so now I'm wanting to find out more information about some of them.
Sue
Feb 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Easy fast read. Not knowing too much about the earlier first ladies, this book gave me insight in to what they were like. Quite surprised to learn that some of them were not so well liked!
Judy
Interesting vignettes about strong points of first ladies up to and including Mamie Eisenhower.
Jodi
Jan 31, 2013 rated it liked it
Great introduction to the First Ladies. Definitely leaves you wanting to know more. I especially appreciate the awesome bibliography--tons of books for further reading!
Michelle
Dec 30, 2013 added it
Shelves: history
Pretty interesting book on the First Ladies. After reading this, I went to Wickpedia and researched what this website had to say. Some very interesting ladies.
Steph
Mar 14, 2015
kfactorreads
Nov 24, 2012
Paula
rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2015
Amy Samin
rated it did not like it
May 18, 2016
Shayna Stubblefield
Jan 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »
Goodreads Librari...: combine and add cover 3 10 Sep 22, 2015 07:56PM
Feather Schwartz Foster is the author of "LADIES: A Conjecture of Personalities" - about the OLD First Ladies, Martha thru Mamie; "Garfield's Train" A novel about the death of President Garfield in 1881, and "T: An Auto-Biography" - a children's book about a Model-T Ford."
More about Feather Schwartz Foster