Start by marking “Jupiter's Bones (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #11)” as Want to Read:
Jupiter's Bones (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #11)

Jupiter's Bones

(Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #11)

Dr. Emil Ganz, a world-renowned astrophysicist, seems to have vanished into thin air. For ten years, no one knew of his whereabouts until he suddenly reappeared as "Father Jupiter, " the founder of a pseudoscientific cult -- the Order of the Rings of God. Now, suddenly, Ganz is found dead. LAPD Lieutenant Peter Decker and his team of homicide detectives pose official quest ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 448 pages
Published July 3rd 2000 by Avon (first published August 1st 1999)

To ask other readers questions about Jupiter's Bones, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jupiter's Bones

Start your review of Jupiter's Bones (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #11)
Em*bedded-in-books*
All about cults, leaders, pecking order, dictatorship, and the extent to which people go to satisfy their ego.
Decker is dragged into this mayhem when a physicist researcher Cum scientist, Dr. Europa Grand calls the police t9 report her father's suspicious death in a closed gate cult community founded by himself.
It was an absorbing read with Decker and his family woes playing second fiddle to the story of the investigation of the cult.
A scary thing indeed, considering the various real life new
Diane
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
4 solid stars! All around a pretty good read. Decker is challenged with solving an unsupervised death within a cult colony similar to Hale-Bopp, Waco or Jonestown. Some very nasty characters within the cult colony, some very innocent. The leaders all seem motivated by their leaders beliefs but also in their own agendas.

From the blurb: Was Ganz's death an accident? Suicide? Or did someone hasten Jupiter prematurely out of this world? These are the questions LAPD Lieutenant Peter Decker and his H
Chava
Feb 17, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ebooks
I've been a fan of Faye Kellerman for a while, but this book really disappointed. It felt disjointed, events jumped all over the show and it was at times just dragging along. No, not one of her better works ...more
The Cats’ Mother
It's rare for me to give up on a book, but I'm trying to use the 100-page rule more often, as I have too many books on my shelf, and it helped in this case.
This came from book club, and my friend didn't like it either, although I can't remember why not. It's the 11th in the Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus series, published in 1999, so apart from everything else it feels very dated. I have read one other from this series, and didn't like that either, so won't try any more. (Which is just as well as it'
Laura Beth
Mar 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-read, mystery
While not about Peter Decker's life each book in the series gives tantalizing glimpses into Decker's home life. I love the mysteries in each story and this one about a cult in a downward spiral is well written and kept me on the edge of my seat throughout the entire book. The sidebars of Peter's home life were the most touching and revealing to date in this series. Now is he will just quit being a workaholic. Well probably not, since that would mean no more books for us. ...more
Dee

Science versus religion
And insanity
Patrick
Aug 22, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I thought this was an interesting read. It is the first book I've read by this author. I will probably read more. I found the characters to be real and well defined. The plot contained some interesting twists as well. It kept me interested all the way. What more can you ask? Recommended. ...more
Angelique Simonsen
Jun 22, 2020 rated it really liked it
A good solid crime novel. I love Decker and his family. The science side of the novel wasn't overwhelming which was a relief ...more
RickyB
Nov 11, 2015 rated it liked it
I don't know why I keep picking up books that are far along in a series. I'm going to have to start looking on Goodreads before I bring them home.
Unlike others I've read, this one (book 11) wasn't so bad for a series book. I've read none of the other books in this series so I had no prior knowledge of the characters or the previous stories that got them to where they were in this book. And it actually didn't matter so much. There was a bit of back story I was obviously missing out on but, in thi
Diane Shipley
Sep 11, 2017 rated it it was ok
I usually like her books. I do like how she writes about the Decker family, and about the Jewish life. But, this book could not seem to grab me at all. It was okay, but seem not to connect in places, and it did not make me want to pick it up and finish it, like all of her other books. Hope her next one that I read will be better.
Christie
Jan 04, 2019 rated it liked it
Cheryl
Mar 07, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just love the Decker books. Great read.
Heather
Jul 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018, audiobook
It is now 1997 and roughly a year after the mass shooting at Estelle's restaurant, the basis for the previous book in this series. "Baby" Hannah is now a spoiled, rather whiny five year old. Sammy is a sullen 17 year old, Jacob is a hormone riddled 15 year old who feels invisible and Cindy has made it through the police academy. Peter has settled into his position as a lieutenant and doesn't do much fieldwork these days. And Rina is still the glue that holds the family together.

But then "Father
Alf Goodall
Different from the usual detective novel. It appears a murder has been committed, perhaps several, but Faye Kellerman manages to keep those details unknown until near the end of the book. Meanwhile the Decker family continues to get older and Peter has to deal confidentially with one of Rina's sons. As one who has experienced the merging of two families, hers, mine and eventually ours, I can appreciated the delicate steps that are sometimes required to effect a growing relationship for all conce ...more
Pam Walker
Dec 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
Dr. Emil Ganz, a world-renowned astrophysicist, seems to have vanished into thin air. For ten years, no one knew of his whereabouts until he suddenly reappeared as "Father Jupiter, " the founder of a ic cult -- the Order of the Rings of God. Now, suddenly, Father Jupiter is found dead. LAPD Lieutenant Peter Decker and his team of homicide detectives pose official questions. Is his death an accident, a suicide, or even a homicide?

I think this series gets better and better with each book in the s
Kerry Elphinstone
Have enjoyed the previous Lazarus and Decker books in the Series but was left deflated after this one. Set in a “Waco” type situation with a group of off beat Scientific gurus whose names were all cosmic Jupiter, Pluto, Nova, Venus etc.
Lead by a world renowed astrophysicist (Father Jupiter). It was his supposed suicide that brought Decker and LAPD to the commune. Was it suicide or murder?
The followers in the cult’s fortress were very sub servient to their leaders And believed they were living th
Alex Shrugged
I liked Jupiter's Bones, but I didn't love it. It reminded me too much of her husband's book on a similar subject: Jonathan Kellerman's "Blood Test". That whole UFO cult / Jim Jone's communist society stuff is a worn-out subject. Nevertheless, the author handles the subject well.

I was glad to see some science involved and the fact that building a time machine is possible. (It's called "a really fast space ship".) I am not a physics expert, but I didn't see any obvious flubs.

It has a really exc
Val
Jun 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Peter Decker murder/mystery. Dr. Emil Ganz vanished for ten years and re-appeared as Father Jupiter, founder of a pseudoscientific cult. He ruled the cult for 15 yrs but has now been found dead. Originally thought a suicide, things come to light that do not support this theory and Decker has to delve further, up against resentful cult members, especially the four "privileged" attendants all fighting to replace Ganz. When two cult members disappear and the cult accuse others, including the police ...more
Nancy
Jul 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Netflix should option Faye Kellerman's Decker/Lazarus novels. The understory of orthodox Judaism paired with the live action police procedural would lend itself to a lengthy, thoughtful series over a span of years.

I continue to find these novels fascinating, as much for the family story as for the mysteries. And I wish so, so much that Kellerman would stop using italics and exclamation points altogether. Frankly, it's poor form and very distracting. Just let the reader figure it out.
Ruth Ellen
Feb 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a riveting read from the start. A premier scientist starts a commune and is found dead. The news comes from his daughter who is not affiliated with said commune. While the detectives are trying to figure out how he died, another is murdered and a member is missing. Read and find out all about this commune and the events that happen there.
Emi
Aug 30, 2019 rated it liked it
Marie
Dec 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-developed characters.
Needs editing! Chute not shoot; imminent not eminent; overuse of exclamation points in the tunnel scene seems amateur. Need to examine the physical process involved in the girl alone moving a boulder that it took two women and tools to move. A tunnel that long and shallow should collapse with that many people going through it.
Judy
Jul 09, 2020 rated it it was ok
This was not one of my favorite Peter Decker books. It was rather ugly. The characters weren't very interesting and it was just mayhem. I couldn't even read part of the ending and skipped through to the near-conclusion without much loss and it saved me some nightmares.

If you like the Decker series, you can probably skip this one with no great loss.
Virginia Tican
Aug 12, 2020 rated it it was amazing
As I dislike cults, I made short work of this one... I find them pathetic and ridiculous... least of all their names culled from Roman mythology like Jupiter, Venus, Pluto... etc... and then we have their hodge~podge mixture of religious philosophy taken from the various existing world religions. Still a Good one though... for Marge made a connection with one of the teenagers in the Order.
Joe
Sep 14, 2018 rated it liked it
This one was darker than the previous books, IMHO. Yes, all of the books deal with dark topics, but this one was disquieting. Still well written with fully developed characterization of all characters.
Becky Gray
Oct 28, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: audio
I used to love this series but for some reason many years ago stopped reading them. I decided to pick up where I left off. I think maybe I waited too long. Although interesting, it seemed dated. I wonder if I would have thought differently had I read it 15 years ago.
Meredith
Sep 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
I always enjoy Faye Kellerman’s books, in part because the characters are very real people, and they care about others. The plot in this one strains credulity, but perhaps cults run by crazy people were more top of mind when it was published in 2000 than they are in 2019.
Elizabeth
Feb 12, 2020 rated it liked it
When the leader of a cult dies, Peter's team of detectives work to figure it out as more and more violent things occur. He and his partner are both hurt as they work on the final stages of figuring out just what is happening. ...more
Zach
Sep 05, 2020 rated it it was ok
Ugg. While I loath to write a bad review, I cannot write a good one about Jupiter's Bones. Cliched plot line, cliched, one-dimensional characters. I also thought the writing style was amateurish. If you can avoid this book, please do. ...more
Lisa Lewis
Feb 24, 2021 rated it really liked it
Shelves: crime-fiction
This entry in the Decker/Lazarus series was absorbing and interesting. I especially appreciated the dramatic last portion, and the way that Marge and some other female characters took the spotlight and saved the day.
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Capital Crimes
  • The Web (Alex Delaware, #10)
  • Devil's Waltz (Alex Delaware, #7)
  • Bad Love (Alex Delaware, #8)
  • Survival of the Fittest (Alex Delaware, #12)
  • Over the Edge (Alex Delaware, #3)
  • Self-Defense (Alex Delaware, #9)
  • The Clinic (Alex Delaware, #11)
  • Time Bomb (Alex Delaware, #5)
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
  • Dr. Death (Alex Delaware #14)
  • Bones (Alex Delaware, #23)
  • A Cold Heart (Alex Delaware, #17)
  • Rage (Alex Delaware, #19)
  • Flesh and Blood (Alex Delaware, #15)
  • Gone (Alex Delaware, #20)
  • Compulsion (Alex Delaware, #22)
  • Therapy (Alex Delaware, #18)
Faye Kellerman was born in St. Louis, Missouri and grew up in Sherman Oaks, California. She earned a BA in mathematics and a doctorate in dentistry at UCLA., and conducted research in oral biology. Kellerman's groundbreaking first novel, THE RITUAL BATH, was published in 1986 to wide critical and commercial acclaim. The winner of the Macavity Award for the Best First Novel from the Mystery Readers ...more

Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus (1 - 10 of 26 books)
  • The Ritual Bath (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #1)
  • Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)
  • Milk and Honey (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #3)
  • Day of Atonement (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #4)
  • False Prophet (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #5)
  • Grievous Sin (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #6)
  • Sanctuary (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #7)
  • Justice (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #8)
  • Prayers for the Dead (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #9)
  • Serpent's Tooth (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus #10)

News & Interviews

“Decker looked at his sack lunch, sitting on the passenger’s seat of his unmarked. Guess he was going to eat in the car” 0 likes