Start by marking “A Family for the Rugged Rancher” as Want to Read:
A Family for the Rugged Rancher

A Family for the Rugged Rancher

3.93  ·  Rating details ·  134 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews

Gruff rancher Luke Evans's new live-in housekeeper comes with an unexpected additiona small son! Emily may be prettyand even Luke has to grudgingly admit little Sam's quite cutebut a family is not on this die-hard bachelor's wish list!

Luke's plan? To spend as much time away from the house as possible. But, slowly charmed by Emily's sunny smile and Sam's infectious giggle,

Published July 5th 2011 by Harlequin (first published January 1st 2011)

To ask other readers questions about A Family for the Rugged Rancher, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Family for the Rugged Rancher

Sara Hubbard
Jun 11, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2011-reads
I can't tell you enough how much I enjoyed this book. The characters are so down-to-earth and believable and so are their challenges. Few books succeed in pulling me in so tightly that I am able to be brought to tears. Donna did it to me twice in this book. She's does it in all of her books, actually.

The thing about romance is that you know things will turn out okay. The girl gets the guy in the end every single time, but still, I couldn't put it down. I had to know how exactly HOW it ended. In
Tia
Feb 25, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Emily was running out of options when she was finally hired for a housekeeping position at a ranch. Her ex husband had left her was a five year old she needed to provide for. Her ex husband stopped paying child support and he was the only one with a job when he packed up and abandoned her for British Columbia.

When Emily arrived at the ranch with her son Sam, she was shocked by the beauty of the place. Not to mention Luke Evans, the gruff ranch owner. Immediately Luke felt something twist inside
Wendy Marcus
Apr 29, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I usually prefer stories with lots of hot sex... but in my opinion, this amazing love story didn't need it.
Jennifer Shirk
May 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: category-romance
This book had great romance and emotion. The subject of Alzheimer’s in the plot was not only unique but added a lot to depth to the story as well.
Marran
Sep 12, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
a very sweet and cute read but not sugare sweet just the right amount..The hero has some fears that make sense and it was sweet watching him work thru them
Phylisha Stone
May 11, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A typical harlequin romance. Single mom determined to make it on her own with her 5yr old son after her husband decides he no longer wants to be in a relationship with them. She accepts a job as housekeeper/cook on a ranch. The ranch is run by 30's outdoors man who fears a relationship with anyone because of family health issues. The writing was well done.
Donna
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: giveaway
What a cute story and a quick read. A single mother trying to start over again and a rancher who does not want a family. See how that works out.
Gerd
Jun 01, 2011 rated it really liked it
*Got this as a Goodreads giveaway*

A cozy read.
Nice short novel that gives you exactly what you expect to get. Not much surprises to it and at other times the perfect family tune it plays might have grated on me, but sometimes all you want to read about is two people finding together, and for those it's perfect.

My only small niggle with it was a bit of head hopping going on in a few chapters. But overall I enjoyed reading it a lot.
Donna
Sep 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance, canadian, 2014
Loved this book. When I started it, I thought it was just another story about a silent, moody cowboy but there was much more depth to the main characters and to the story line. Great writing style - the story just flew along. I've only read a few of Alward's books but this is sure to remain a favourite.
Thanh Tran
3.5 stars - quick read - single cowboy with no baggage except for his possible inheritable mental condition and the huge ranch that he's running and in need of a housekeeper for the house. Then came along single mum with her kid - deserted by a husband who shrugged off his responsibility as a father and husband. Sparks flew when the H/H met and then comes HEA. Short quick read!
Carrie Felton
Jul 20, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great story!

Great story!

This one had my sobbing! Donna Alward did such a great job fully describing the situation that Emily's pain and Luke's fear were experienced not simply read about.
Courtney Fisher
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
A very quick and enjoyable read! Before I knew what had happened, I was sucked in and couldn't put it down. A sweet tale of romance with a great ending.
Michelle Styles
May 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Heart warming story of two people who have to learn to love. A book to be read in one sitting. The setting is very well depicted and it is a great comfort read.
Harlequin Books
Miniseries: Rugged Ranchers
Loretta
A modern day Canadian western romance. I really enjoyed it, but the explanation at the end drug on and this is the only reason I have a low rating for this quick read.

Harlequin Books
myrna vogel
Jun 05, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Soldier on Her Doorstep
  • The Soldier's Secret Daughter (Top Secret Deliveries #3)
  • Flirting with Italian
  • One Night, Two Heirs (Texas Cattleman's Club: The Showdown #1)
  • Making a Splash
  • Welcome Home, Cowboy (Wed In The West, #4)
  • Montana, Mistletoe, Marriage
  • The Boss's Surprise Son
  • Inheriting His Secret Christmas Baby (Dynasties: The Jarrods #6)
  • Beauty and the Brooding Boss
  • A Not-So-Perfect Past
  • Hawk's Way: Carter & Falcon (Hawk's Way #5-6)
  • Caught on Camera
  • The Cattle Baron's Reluctant Mistress
  • Billionaire's Jet Set Babies
  • An Honorable Thief
  • Coming Home for Christmas: A Christmas in Paradise\O Christmas Tree\No Crib for a Bed
  • Accidentally the Sheikh's Wife
While bestselling author Donna Alward was busy studying Austen, Eliot and Shakespeare, she was also losing herself in the breathtaking stories created by romance novelists like LaVyrle Spencer, Judith McNaught, and Nora Roberts. Several years after completing her degree she decided to write a romance of her own and it was true love! Five years and ten manuscripts later she sold her first book and ...more
More about Donna Alward...

Romance Deals

• Wynn in Doubt
  • Until Harry
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Lethal Consequences (Aegis Security, #2)
  • Things I Should Have Known
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Waiting for the One
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Bombshell (Hollywood A-List, #1)
    $3.99 $2.00
  • Guardians Of Stone (Relic Seekers, #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • All the Secrets We Keep (Quarry Road, #2)
  • Queens of Geek
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Consumed by Fire (Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Off the Record (Record, #1)
  • The Lovely Reckless
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Never Kiss a Rake (Scandal at the House of Russell, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Enslaved by the Ocean (Criminals of the Ocean, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Plain Perfect (A Daughters of the Promise Novel)
  • Love Fortunes and Other Disasters
    $7.09 $2.99
  • On the Record (Record, #2)
  • Crash (Crash, #1)
  • The Journey Home
    $3.99 $0.99
  • True to the Highlander (Loch Moigh #1)
    $4.99 $2.00
  • Losing Control (Kerr Chronicles, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The CEO Buys In (Wager of Hearts, #1)
  • Love, Lies & Spies
  • Faking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • 'Til the End of Time: A Loveswept Contemporary Classic Romance (Sedikhan)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Where Darkness Lies (Criminals of the Ocean, #2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Good Girl (Love Unexpectedly, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Immortally Yours (Argeneau #26)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Collection
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Unspoken (The Vampire Diaries: The Salvation, # 2)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Golden Surrender (Viking #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Beautifully Forgotten (Beautifully Damaged, #2)
  • Been Here All Along
    $7.09 $2.99
  • Blue Lines (Assassins, #5)
  • Honor Bound
  • The Way to Game the Walk of Shame
    $7.09 $2.99
  • The Governess of Highland Hall (Edwardian Brides, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Pink Line
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Redemption (Penton Legacy, #1)
  • Promise Me