Start by marking “Mehr als die Summe (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #5)” as Want to Read:
Mehr als die Summe (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #5)

Mehr als die Summe

(Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #5)

Das Raumschiff Rhea hat eine Gruppe von Kohlenstoffplaneten entdeckt, die die Quelle beobachteter Quantenenergien zu sein scheint. Ein Außenteam begegnet auf einem der Planeten ungewöhnlichen Lebensformen und einer der Offiziere, Lieutenant T'Ryssa Chen - ein Halbvulkanierin -, kann einen schwachen Kontakt zu ihnen herstellen.

Im selben Augenblick wird die Rhea von der Eins
Published May 2010 by Amigo Grafik (cross cult) (first published August 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Mehr als die Summe, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mehr als die Summe

Start your review of Mehr als die Summe (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #5)
Alejandro
Great Star Trek adventure!

HARD TO FIND GOOD EMPLOYEES

Captains aren’t the only people who count for something

Captain Jean-Luc Picard was lucky, was very lucky, when he selected his Command Crew, back then, when he got command of the USS Enterprise-D. Indeed, not only it was an excellent crew, a crew deserved to be in the Federation’s flagship, but they become not only his Command Crew, his most trusted officers, they become his family…

…but some of them are now in a different starship,
Kristen
Aug 05, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek, ya
Crystal Bensley
May 15, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An exciting lead in to Destiny! A Borg centred story which introduces some fun new characters to the crew.
Jonathan Koan
Jun 27, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Star Trek: The Next Generation: Greater Than the Sum is a standalone novel written by Christopher L. Bennett and was released in August of 2008.

What makes this book so interesting is the frame of reference that it has. This book came out after a string of Borg related standalones like Resistance, Death in Winter, Homecoming/Farther Shore, and the ever climactic Before Dishonor. However, it is the prelude to the Destiny Trilogy, the trilogy billed as “The Beginning and the End of the Borg”. This
Dan
Oct 25, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, tng
I really enjoyed Greater Than the Sum. Going into it, I thought "not the Borg AGAIN!," but this turned out to be a very thoughtful and compelling story, unlike Resistance and Before Dishonor, both of which were disappointments. Christopher L. Bennett gives us a unique take on the Borg, which is difficult at this point, and also sets the story up nicely for the apocalyptic events of Star Trek: Destiny. Top marks for this novel from me; Bennett delivers not only an action-filled thriller, but a pe ...more
Darryl
Mar 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is another great Borg read in a series of there books that tell the story. This is the 3rd installment.
Jess
Oct 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Plodding and overly wordy. Prior to this, I'd just finished a great 1,000+ page book, so I don't mind lots of words if the words add to the story. In this case, there were too many times when I was thinking, "What's the point of this? Get on with it!"

Greater Than the Sum had interesting parts, but there were too many plodding sections.
Maurice Jr.
Feb 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One word- HUGH!

Yes, this book introduced many new Enterprise crew members (first contact officer Lt. T'ryssa Chen, senior science officer Lt. Dina Elfiki, security chief Lt. Jasminder Choudhury and senior counselor Dr. Hegol Den), introduced a new life form and gave us the final fate of the Borg assimilated ship Einstein, but for me, the main attraction was the return of the former Borg now called Hugh.

While investigating Lt. Chen's report of a Borg attack on her ship the Rhea in a far off regio
Richard
Jan 12, 2013 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It starts off promisingly with an intriguing action sequence but then it starts to drag and I couldn't finish it. The main reason why it drags is that it focuses on a new character: a commissioned Star Fleet officer who speaks and acts like a mischievous, petulant, 10 year old child. This sort of comic relief character often works in anime to deflate the egos of the very serious regular characters. It even works in Star Trek, if the character is from an alien race where such behaviour is normal, ...more
LaRita
Jan 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I was pleasantly surprised at how well written this book is. I occasionally read Star Trek novels as a diversion from my usual love of mysteries. I have found that some of the ST books have good stories but average writing. This story made me feel the emotions of even the more minor characters. Well known characters like Picard and Guinin were developed in ways that let me see them differently.

This book is part of a series, and I haven't read the previous books. Like any well written novel, I w
Pierre
Oct 13, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wasn't as bad as the previous TNG outing (Before Dishonor) - although it seems like the writers are always getting The Borg involved. ALWAYS. Why? ...more
Feb 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of the best Star Trek books I've read in a long time. I don't know how I missed this when it first came out. ...more
Christopher
Jun 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
John
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Naturally following the events of "Before Dishonor" is this effort by Christopher L. Bennett, in which Picard and crew take on a Borg-assimilated Federation starship that was part of the Borg's attempt to attack Earth.
Unfortunately, the book just didn't live up to its prequel. It was yet another slog filled with pages of character musing and backstory, and comparatively little relevant story. A problem with many Trek authors, and especially Bennett, is the use of narrative voice to give pages o
Snogged
Sep 11, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read the Destiny trilogy earlier this year so I was pleasantly surprised to discover the existence of a prequel (thanks to a good friend with a stellar Trek collection.) It sounds like there are some other books out there as well that lay the ground work for this story, but I thought there was enough explained or at least touched on that I didn't feel lost.

I enjoyed getting to see Guinan show some vulnerability, seeing the return of Hugh, and Jasminder Choudhury. I also enjoyed seeing Picard a
Kai Knetsch
Apr 19, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75. I was excited to read this book, because I really liked the authors other Star Trek book The Buried Age. This one wasn't as good as that, but it was close. Once again 3 new main characters are introduced. Tbh, I'm getting kind of tired of the revolving door effect for the senior staff. I really hope these characters stay. I like the character of T'Ryssa, but don't care for the other two. I liked how the author seamlessly picked up the story where the last few books left off and filled in s ...more
Marie
Jul 03, 2022 marked it as nope  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Okay look. I never expect Star Trek books to be Literature with a capital L. But the first chapter of this book was so badly written (and so vomitously cutesy) that I just cannot go on.

Fun fact: I have only read (or tried to read) one other Star Trek book by this author, and I noped out of that one too.

ETA: I'm sorry but I just can't get over the fact that the very first line in this book is the main character whining to her superior officer "Are we there yet?" like a damn five year old.
Yvette
May 29, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
1st...I’m so tired of the Borg.

This novel did move well. The Borg was mostly background. I loved the sciences (real science). The comedy of the Picard/Crusher team was gone. Instead the author gave us Picard/Chen comedy team.
The characters new and old were fleshed considerably. I appreciate that. Unfortunately I saw all the Borg stuff coming even the build up for the next novel.
On to the next one.
Beckerjr
Dec 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this mostly because it's considered the main "prequel" to the Destiny Trilogy. It's a solid Trek book overall. The middle third gets a tad too talky for me as if the author needed to fill pages before the climax. Picard's "daddy" issues drag on a little too much too. The alien entity was cool and very much an out of the box idea that Trek can be very good at. Overall a fun read for Trek/TNG fans ...more
Hundred Pic
May 24, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Star Trek fans criticised previous relaunch books for their inconsistencies in tone, character, and direction. Can Christopher L. Bennett tie it together, set up the forthcoming Destiny trilogy, and save the litverse from ruin?

Read the full review here on Star Trek Relaunch Book Club
Bill
Dec 25, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great story with a deep dip into the mind of Capt. Picard.

Plus the return of Hugh.

Apparently, after the last Next Gen Movies, they decided the TNG novel universe would have a tighter continuity with Marvel No-Prize corrections to plot/logic continuities messes.

I approve, except for the fact that Nemesis still seems to part of the official canon.
Chris Munro
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love a Star Trek novel and its been ages since I read one. This is just like an episode of the show, expanded and with a bigger budget for effects and sets! I read this in one sitting, and thoroughly enjoyed it, well written but with A LOT of dialogue. Its so easy to hear the voices of the characters in your head when you know them so well.
Steven
Feb 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
CLB packs a lot into his Trek novels, capturing familiar characters and introducing you to new ones, splashing lore throughout the story and weaving a captivating tale. Once again, the Borg are on the rampage, leading the Relaunch novels ever closer to the major crossover event! Well worth reading!
J T Reed
Decent. I enjoyed how it explored character growth in picard with relation to his experiences in "inner light" and his life as Kaman.
Parts of the book border on being a bit too "fanfiction" for me especially with T'ryss but it's still a good read and the concept of the entity was awesome and great Sci fi.
Blade 68
Feb 14, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Solid TNG adventure with The Borg. Didn't really care for the subplot of Beverly trying to convince Picard into having children, but there was one reference to the episode The Inner Light between Picard and Beverly that I thought was handled particularly well. ...more
Jeff G
Jun 23, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fairly decent book that I took my time reading. It was decent but felt like a novelized episode of the series. Ends on a interesting point, i would read another by this author.
Bobby Litton
Aug 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it!! Great book!
Kathleen
Dec 26, 2019 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Geordi's midlife crisis was probably the best thing about this book...which says a lot. ...more
Jason
Dec 04, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Borg

If you like Star Trek stories featuring the Borg, you'll like this. Heck, I don't generally like stories featuring the Borg and I still liked this. Two thumbs up.
Derkanus
Jan 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
« previous 1 3 next »

• Before Dishonor
  • Losing the Peace
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #2)
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Mere Mortals (Star Trek: Destiny #2)
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #3)
  • Q are Cordially Uninvited...
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #1)
  • A Singular Destiny (Star Trek: Aventine #4)
  • Sword of Damocles  (Star Trek: Titan, #4)
  • The Stuff of Dreams (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • Unworthy (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #1)
  • Articles of the Federation (Star Trek)
  • Full Circle (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Children of the Storm (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Silent Weapons (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #2)
Christopher L. Bennett is a lifelong resident of Cincinnati, Ohio, with a B.S. in Physics and a B.A. in History from the University of Cincinnati. A fan of science and science fiction since age five, he has spent the past two decades selling original short fiction to magazines such as Analog Science Fiction and Fact (home of his "Hub" series of comedy adventures), BuzzyMag, and Galaxy's Edge. Sinc ...more

Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade (1 - 10 of 18 books)
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #1)
  • Resistance (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #2)
  • Q & A (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #3)
  • Before Dishonor
  • Losing the Peace
  • Indistinguishable from Magic (Star Trek: The Next Generation - The Second Decade #7)
  • The Persistence of Memory (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #1)
  • Silent Weapons (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #2)
  • The Body Electric (Star Trek TNG: Cold Equations, #3)
  • The Crimson Shadow (Star Trek: Typhon Pact)

News & Interviews