Start by marking “Star Trek. New Frontier. Märtyrer” as Want to Read:
Star Trek. New Frontier. Märtyrer

Star Trek. New Frontier. Märtyrer

(Star Trek: New Frontier #5)

Ein neues Schiff ...
Eine neue Mannschaft ...
Eine neue Mission!

Nach dem Fall des alten Thallonianischen Imperiums ist der Planet Zondar von einem Bürgerkrieg bedroht. Die Ankunft der U.S.S. Excalibur wird von der verängstigen Bevölkerung mit Erleichterung und Freude aufgenommen. Captain Mackenzie Calhoun, der gerade von der thallonianischen Thronwelt fliehen konnte, wird al
Published January 1st 2011 by Cross Cult (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Star Trek. New Frontier. Märtyrer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Star Trek. New Frontier. Märtyrer

Alejandro
Space Sector 221-G got even more complicated!

ANY WAR IS BAD, BUT A HOLY WAR IS WORSE

The former Thallonian Empire, now renamed just as Space Sector 221-G is on a very risky political unstability, but...

...the fragile situation got even worse when the religious angle got into the equation of the space sector!

The Thallon world is no more, and when the unthinkable, even almost impossible happened...

...this unprecedented event was seen as a prophecy on the planet Zondar...

...which it won't be tol
Nicolas
Jul 25, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
As much as I love Peter David, this series always feels like Star Trek's weird cousin. The characters aren't great. Calhoun is interesting, but his snark always feels forced. The storylines have too much fantasy elements for my taste. This entry was oddly sexual. In spite of all that, I'm not ready to give up just yet. Si Swan is intriguing and a plot element from the next book has caught my interest. The jury is still out.
Joy
Mar 19, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Thallon is gone. A giant bird hatched out of it and now Excalibur travels around the sector aiding whoever they have to from the fallout in the sector.

The main storyline is that Calhoun finds out that he is the savior of the people of the planet Zondar. When he goes down for a diplomatic mission, he disappears mysteriously.

On the side, Dr. Selar discovers that she is undergoing the Pon Farr. It was delayed because her husband had a heart attack during Pon Farr and died. She asks the captain to
Dianah
Aug 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 100-books, star-trek
This was an interesting book, but it felt like too much setup for too little payoff. I'm sure we will run into the Redeemers again, but for their buildup in this book I expected to see more of them in the end. I was mildly annoyed by the Burgoyne 172 storyline. I understand Peter David wanting to do the whole "s/he" "hir" "shir" thing, but it gets old really fast.

Overall, it's a good story, but really predictable. The whole Selar/Pon Farr thing had been stretched out for the first four books so
David Palazzolo
Jul 19, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A nice follow up to the first big adventure, if a little uneven--but that's to be expected given this is essentially the first open ended series of Star Trek novels. Finding the perfect balance between the ongoing and self contained plots may take a volume or two.

And stuff does happen here. There is a resolution in the Selar-Burgoyne-McHenry triangle, a new recurring character Ens. Janos (a Mugato) is introduced, Lefler takes on the side task of being a liaison between Si Cwan and Capt. Calhoun,
Todd
Aug 02, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Peter David has always written some good Trek stories, but this one seems forced. The characters are very interesting, and really drive the story. It just seems some of the dialoge is stiff and forced. I'm hoping the next one of this series improves in this area.
Brett
Jan 27, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this next book in the series. It's relatively self contained as far as the plot line is concerned, but nicely continues some of the previous ongoing points. I'm interested to see how this continues in future books.
Travis
Jan 24, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
The Redeemers are a thoroughly nasty, but still interesting race and the crew is still strongly written, with a minimum of sub-plots.
The first half dozen books of this series were the best.
This would have made a good TV series, with it's mix of politics and 'big and cosmic' stories.

Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I have enjoyed Peter David's Trek work, but the language in this one just didn't do it for me. It seemed careless. The characters and driving story I've come to expect from him where there, though.
John Kirk
Aug 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This was the first full length novel (the first story was released in 4 separate books), and it certainly benefits from that.
Craig
Aug 08, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
I really do want to rate this one higher but this book took about 5/8s of the way through to finally get going. I'm pretty sick of reading about the Burgyone and Selar relationship dynamic and really want to get a chance to get to know the characters on the crew who are actually interesting instead of their relationship "drama." When the book decides that it doesn't want to be a soap opera and instead wants to be a Star Trek book then it actually is interesting. Peter David does take the humorou ...more
Fratrem Ozomahtli
While it took a bit to get moving, once it did, it was such a quick and enjoyable read.
Shiloh Peacemaker
I love this CREW! I MUST read more! (This was my reading only at work book)
Anthony Emmel
Feb 23, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Definitely 5 stars. After the series picked back up with a full-sized novel, it got better. Definitely. That is all.
KC
finishing this book was an exercise in self-loathing.
C.T. Phipps
Jan 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Star Trek: New Frontier had a bit of growing pains to go through with the first four books. While there were moments of great comedy and great adventure, they were interspersed with unprofessional behavior amongst the crew and inappropriate silliness. New Frontier's fifth installment hammers out some of these problems and makes a more "realistic" (for whatever value that word has in a setting with Apollo running around and logical elves) take on the characters.

The premise of this novel is Capt
Brian
Jun 26, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I suppose people usually disregard a one star rating as a rant, however, this book really deserves it. While I enjoyed reading the first 4 books in the series, this one gave me the resolution to never pick up a Peter David book again. While I am curious, and perhaps even feeling obligated to finish the series, I really have no desire to repeat how awful, and angry this novel made me feel.

The book almost entirely consists of sex jokes, sex scenes, and sexual innuendos. While, I am not overly sens
James Haresign
Mar 14, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek, space
Continuing Captain Mackenzie Calhoun and The Excalibur's journey into uncharted Thallonian Space, Martyr sees Calhoun being worshipped as a Saviour thanks to the events of the previous novel, and using that status to try and broker a peace between two warring factions. Of course not everything goes to plan.

Martyr's not quite as strong as the opener, but since that was four books into one I'll allow it. I did like how it shifted the focus of the book to some of the other members of the crew that
Sean Randall
Shane Amazon
Oct 11, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Star Trek: Martyr covers a wide range of touchy subjects that humanity has struggled with since the beginning of civilization. Sex and religion are an underlying thread that effect the vast majority of the Excalibur crew and the storyline as a whole. When the CMO begins a journey into Pon Far, a difficult proposal is offered to Captain Calhoun. Meanwhile, a planets population find what they believe is their Savior in McKenzie hoping that he will bring them peace and long life.

I actually give Pet
Dominic
rating

THE GOOD: This is the first real stand-alone book in the New Frontier series. This is the only Star Trek series I could find that is complete and linear and from the same author.

THE BAD: Even with the rather simple story-lines, what kept me coming back were the character developments. Peter David has a knack for making us care about the characters and see how they react/progress/interact with each other throughout the development of the story.

THE UGLY: It will take a few more books in the series
Kathleen
A little more confusing than I want a Star Trek book to be. This instillation in the series experiments with religion and not-entirely-linear storytelling. Usually I like this, but it wasn't particularly well done here and as a result the should-be-scary religious cult was mostly annoying. Not looking forward to their recurring later, but I certainly expect them to.

Other than that, I kind of liked the Macbeth rescue by Burgoyne 172 as well as hir burgeoning relationship with Doctor Selar.

Peter Wilson
Sep 25, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fiction
very good book, and really enjoyed reading it, this should of been made into the next trek tv series out there in the wild, but close enough for back up if needed, but its like kirks enterprise and there five year mission
Scott Miller
May 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Why this was never a series or movie, I'll never know. Easily better than DS9 or Voyager.
Timothy
Feb 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, sci-fi
1 1/2 stars.
K
Feb 05, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.75/5
William Mock
Decided not to read any more New Frontiers--I'm a hardcore Star Trek fan, but this felt more like Abrams Trek than classic television.
Sharon
Apr 10, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned-books
Further continuation of the series. I don't intend to go further. Moving on.
Shannon Appelcline
Slow, with less focus on the characters. David's writing is still good, but this book feels very uneven.
  • Q-Strike (Star Trek: The Next Generation #49; The Q Continuum, #3)
  • Section 31: Abyss (Star Trek: Sector 31, #3)
  • Fire Ship (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #4)
  • Doors Into Chaos (Star Trek: Gateways, #3)
  • The Mist (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #3)
  • Avatar Book Two of Two (Star Trek Deep Space Nine)
  • The Fall of Terok Nor (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Millennium, #1)
  • Demons of Air and Darkness
  • Rogue (Star Trek: Section 31, #2)
  • No Man's Land (Star Trek: Voyager: Gateways, #5)
  • Dujonian's Hoard (Star Trek: The Captain's Table, #2)
  • This Gray Spirit (Star Trek Deep Space Nine: Mission Gamma, Book 2)
  • Invasion: Time's Enemy
  • A Time to Sow (Star Trek: A Time to... #3)
  • A Time to Kill (Star Trek: A Time to... #7)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum

Star Trek: New Frontier (1 - 10 of 21 books)
  • House of Cards (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)
  • Into the Void (Star Trek: New Frontier, #2)
  • The Two Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • End Game (Star Trek: New Frontier, #4)
  • Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier, #6)
  • The Quiet Place (Star Trek: New Frontier, #7)
  • Dark Allies (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8)
  • Requiem (Star Trek: New Frontier, #9)
  • Renaissance (Star Trek: New Frontier, #10)
  • Restoration (Star Trek: New Frontier, #11)
“What about his life on Xenex can possibly apply to your situation. Xenexians don't have Pon Farr."

"Granted, Commander. However, they do have their own traditions and customs. One of them is that if a woman of the tribe has become widowed, and she wishes to conceive, thereby fulfilling what is perceived as the woman's role in the tribal order--and please--she put up a hand to forestall exactly what she anticipated Shelby saying--do not spend time telling me that women are capable of fulfilling many more functions besides childbirth. Since you and I have both chosen careers in Starfleet, we can take that to be a given in both our personal philosophies. The point is, if she wishes to conceive, then it is the responsibility of the tribal leader to perform the necessary services. Mackenzie Calhoun was indeed a tribal leader. Therefore I am merely asking him, in a manner of speaking, to fulfill the same obligations."

But he's not on Xenex!" pointed out Shelby.

"True. And I am not on Vulcan. Our specific geographical location, Commander, is irrelevant. We continue to carry out cultures and backgrounds within us, no matter where we are.”
0 likes