Start by marking “Kartenhaus (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)” as Want to Read:
Kartenhaus (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)

Kartenhaus

(Star Trek: New Frontier #1)

Ein neues Schiff...eine neue Mannschaft...eine neue Mission!

Die Systeme des ehemaligen Thallonianischen Imperiums versinken im Chaos. Alter Hass entbrennt neu. Unbedeutende Tyrannen verfügen plötzlich über tödliche Waffen. Welt um Welt stürzt in Gesetzlosigkeit und Selbstzerstörung.

Die Föderation muss ein Raumschiff entsenden, um die neue Grenze zu erforschen, dort Hilfe z
Published January 1st 2011 by Cross Cult (first published July 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Kartenhaus, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Kartenhaus

Start your review of Kartenhaus (Star Trek: New Frontier, #1)
Alejandro
Indeed a new frontier in "Star Trek" franchise!

This is the 1st novel in the “Star Trek: New Frontier” book series.

FIRST PROSE STAR TREK SERIES

This novel was very important for the line of prose novels of Pocket Books about Star Trek.

Since before this, there were only prose novels about the original series and spin-offs aired on TV, however, Pocket Books made a strong bet giving green light to this idea by author, Peter David, one of the most popular writers in the franchise, to create a
Mary JL
Dec 17, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: die hard Star Trek fans only
As a former die-hard Star Trek fan who still enjoys a good story, I picked up the first four books of Peter David's "New Frntier" Star Trek spin-off. I was curious to see what was new.

NOt much. Bascially, the story is Star Trek--a few different characters but no major differences from any of the other TREK series. Not bad--but very average.

Recommended for die hard Star Trek fans only.
C.T. Phipps
Sep 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Star Trek: New Frontier is the father of the modern Star Trek Expanded Universe. Much like Timothy Zahn's Thrawn Trilogy created the modern Star Wars Expanded Universe, so did Peter David's adventures of Captain Mackenzie Calhoun and the U.S.S Excalibur create the foundations on which all others would follow.

Star Trek fiction existed before this massive multi-book series, existed in books by the hundreds in-fact, but it was continuity-less and insubstantial as a cloud to the greater universe. I
Sean Randall
Mar 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The majority of authors I have read who have dealt with a Star Trek novel have treated the characters and universe itself with some semblance of reverence.

"What the hell kind of person was capable of sounding erudite while losing blood out of his face by the pint?"

Peter David seems intent on breaking this trend, with his combination of amusing asides and in-character sarcasm.

"please leave me to my work. This is a scientifically curious situation, and it takes precedence over the famed Thallonian
Libby
Jul 22, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It’s amazing how the content of the story can make such a difference. A few years ago, I picked up Sir Apropos of Nothing by Peter David and did not like it at all. Apparently the story just did not appeal to my personal tastes because it certainly wasn’t the author. On recommendation of other Goodreads member I picked up Peter David’s Star Trek: New Frontier series and absolutely loved it! Story was fun, style was sharp and true to Trek universe, and there was a pleasantly surprising amount of ...more
Lexxi Kitty
This is an interesting 'origin story' type of book for several of the crewmembers of the Star Trek spaceship. Little short stories about several, including the captain, science officer. Plus part of the story takes place on 'The Next Generation' version of the Enterprise, oh and Spock is around.

On the other hand - while there were some interesting stories here . . . there really wasn't much of a coherent whole novel here. Though I understand that this is a series and that this book here was 'set
David
Mar 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
This is the best Star Trek novel I've ever read. Which actually isn's saying too much. I think it's (maybe) the third ST novel I've read. Nonetheless, I'm totally loving it. Peter David has long been one of my favorite comics writers but this is the first time I've read his prose work. I'm going to have to read more David prose work.
Dan
Dec 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Title: House of Cards
Author: Peter David
Series: New Frontier, book one
Copyright Date: 1997
Number of pages: 168

This novel is the first in a new series concept developed by senior editor John J. Ordover and author Peter David called the New Frontier. It takes place in Sector 221-G, an area of space controlled for all of Federation history by a militaristic race called the Thallonians, of which little is known when this series starts. The Thallonians ruled the other races in their sector with a vic
RumBelle
Aug 23, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: star-trek
Of all the Star Trek series I have read, this was the most odd beginning to a series. The first 50 or so pages was about Calhoun's young life. Then the middle 50 or so focused on other characters, and barely mentioned Calhoun at all. The last chunk of pages, brought him back, but only at the last five or so pages, and then you find out that this isn't even a self contained novel, the story continues. I really like Calhoun as a character, so I was disappointed as his lack of appearance (in a seri ...more
Azar
Jan 10, 2008 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Wow. I'd heard that Mackenzie Calhoun was the definition of a Marty Stu, but I thought the people who told me that had to be exaggerating. They weren't--he even has the purple eyes! In spite of that, though, an enjoyable enough read--most of the supporting cast, at least that I've met so far, more than makes up for the, er, overaccomplished captain. *g* I was just annoyed to find out that the first few books all end on a cliffhanger!
Michael Holloway
Feb 06, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
This book is astonishing, in that it is all backstory with no plot until the very final chapter. Characters are as one-dimensional as it is possible to get - most jarringly Jellico is changed from a competent captain with a very different style to Picard, to a blistering idiot who all the other characters take pleasure in annoying.
For the first 'proper' Star Trek EU novel, some very strange choices were made, and the whole thing falls completely flat.
Steve
I eat this stuff like cotton candy. Should I be embarrassed by low brow fiction? Well, heck, I enjoy it. A guilty pleasure. This series started in 1997, and is a new captain, built off the TV shows. Next Generation and the first series characters are present. It's new built on the old. I ordered the next one.
Michael
Nov 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Well-written, fast-paced and ends too soon (it is meant as a bit of serial fiction, so...)
Octavia Cade
The first in the New Frontier sub-series in the Star Trek universe, and it's clearly a set-up novel. Nearly the entire first half of the book is taken up introducing three new characters, giving them all separate origin stories. The second half is all plot set-up. Spock is shoe-horned in, I assume for the sake of ratings, while Picard and other Enterprise characters decide that, for humanitarian purposes, a starship needs to be sent into a war-torn region of space. Together, they need to find a ...more
Carol Gibson
This is a book series created by Peter David of a completely new ship and Captain there are some characters taken from The Next Generation. This book was all over the place as well as taking place through different times introducing Calhoun and some other characters as well as setting up the series. I felt it was rather boring in places and think it would have been better if they had started with the ship on its mission and told stories via flashback that might have made it more interesting to m ...more
Jdetrick
Its somewhat unfair to review this book before reading the one after it, since this is literally the first part of the story (the book ends on a cliffhanger with "To Be Continued..."). Some interesting characters are introduced here, and honestly, my biggest problem with this is the use of established characters like Spock and Picard. I especially felt that some of the Enterprise characters seemed a little off, and honestly, I didn't care about them as much as I did the new characters. I'm sure ...more
Craig
May 08, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, star-trek
This one obviously is laying groud work for the rest of the New Frontier series as it establishes what I would guess to be the crew of the Excalibur (the ship doesn't make an appearance). Giving back ground to some old characters and new ones this definitely has Peter David's style of being fast and loose with whichever Star Trek character he wants to and that's great. He does always seem to find a way to make the Star Trek universe come alive. I have to say I am hooked as the idea of their miss ...more
Robert Bryant
Dec 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Despite having a really boring, lax4y cover this was an exciting, adeptly written Star Trek novel. At 168 pages it was an extremely quick read (two sittings for me), so it was never boring and didn't have time to wear out its welcome.

This was more a collection of short stories than a novel and it worked very well. A different section for each new character and a small wrap-up at the end. I am excited to keep reading about Captain Calhoun and his crew.

4/5.

Fun read and recommended for any fan of
Liz Fox
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This series was recommended to me by multiple Trekkies as THE place to start in the ST expanded universe, and the first installment did not disappoint. David strikes a balance that's hard to achieve in franchise-based books: paying homage or giving main/major characters screentime (or scenetime, I guess) without overruling the overwhelming potential in new and original characters. Riveting and well-paced with a great ensemble - I fully intend on finishing the first four books, if not more.
Joe Praska
While I’ll fully admit that not a whole lot really happens in this book, I found that I am 100% excited about what it’s setting up. I absolutely love the idea of an independent Trek series blazing it’s own trail in novel form. Peter David obviously has a good grasp of the canon characters we see within this story and takes great care in crafting and developing any new characters too. I’m very much looking forward to continuing the journey into the Star Trek: New Frontier world!
Ryan Case
This book was really just a set up/introduction book. It isn't very long but does little more than set up another book to tell an actual story. It DOES introduce you to the main characters very well but that's about it. I look forward to reading the rest of the series.
Tom
Feb 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was my first Expanded read into the Star Trek Franchise. It is written amazingly well. Peter David is able to pull into the characters on a level only the shows have shown in the past. A Great read and a great arching story.
Igor
Turns out that this is a novella, one of four interconnected ones that were collected into a single volume. Consequently I will give out stars once I finish all four. Still so far it's a fun read and Peter David handles the familiar ST characters well while creating some interesting new ones.
Jessica Boyd
This has to be the WORST depiction or Riker and Troi, makes Picard a jerk and treats all its women in a horrible manner for the sake of the destiny of its random male lead who has no redeeming qualities except a Spider-Man warning racial trait and natural charisma. It’s pure 90s machismo.
Xavier Marturet
Mar 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novela
It's a good surprise to discover a new saga with characters of different previous Star Trek Lines, and at the same time, a good new line of adventures inside the ST Universe.
Peter David, a genious again, as always.
Matt Piechocinski
Slow burn, but solid payoff about midway through ... harkens back to Executioner novels.
James Pittman
Nov 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The next chapter of Star Trek begins with Star Trek: New Frontier. Peter David weaves a tale worthy of Trekkies.
Rob
Oct 24, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a good start to what seems like a promising story but feels like it cuts off hard, there are four books in the series and I think it is going to be worth the read. This was a good read.
Emily
Jun 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved it. It was like visiting old friends and meeting thier new roommates who are just as wonderful. I laughed out loud many times. The action was gripping. Fantastic easy read.
Heath Fodor
Jul 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great start to the New Frontier series
« previous 1 3 next »
Star Trek Reads: House of Cards, Peter David 4 16 Jan 04, 2015 07:10PM

• Reunion (Star Trek Next Generation )
  • Taking Wing (Star Trek: Titan, #1)
  • Drastic Measures
  • Pathways (Star Trek: Voyager)
  • Star Trek: Discovery: The Enterprise War
  • Lost Souls (Star Trek: Destiny, #3)
  • Fallen Heroes (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine #5)
  • The Farther Shore (Star Trek: Voyager: Homecoming, #2)
  • The Valiant (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • I, Q
  • Death in Winter (Star Trek The Next Generation)
  • Emissary
  • Avatar: Book One of Two (Star Trek: Deep Space Nine)
  • The Battle of Betazed (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Red King (Star Trek: Titan, #2)
  • Gods of Night (Star Trek: Destiny #1)
  • Ship of the Line (Star Trek: The Next Generation)
  • The Eugenics Wars, Vol. 2: The Rise and Fall of Khan Noonien Singh (Star Trek: The Eugenics Wars, #2)
aka David Peters

Peter Allen David (often abbreviated PAD) is an American writer, best known for his work in comic books and Star Trek novels. David often jokingly describes his occupation as "Writer of Stuff". David is noted for his prolific writing, characterized by its mingling of real world issues with humor and references to popular culture. He also uses metafiction frequently, usually to hum

Star Trek: New Frontier (1 - 10 of 22 books)
  • Into the Void (Star Trek: New Frontier, #2)
  • The Two-Front War (Star Trek: New Frontier, #3)
  • End Game (Star Trek: New Frontier, #4)
  • Martyr (Star Trek: New Frontier, #5)
  • Fire on High (Star Trek: New Frontier, #6)
  • The Quiet Place (Star Trek: New Frontier, #7)
  • Dark Allies (Star Trek: New Frontier, #8)
  • Double or Nothing (Star Trek: Double Helix, #5)
  • Requiem (Star Trek: New Frontier, #9)
  • Renaissance (Star Trek: New Frontier, #10)