Start by marking “Lover in the Rough” as Want to Read:
Lover in the Rough

Lover in the Rough

3.58  ·  Rating details ·  863 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
Reba Farrall was lost—until a kindly old gentleman took her under his wing and helped heal her shattered spirit. Now her dearest friend is gone, leaving her with a doubting, broken heart...and half-interest in a California gem mine. But Chance Walker has burst into Reba's life—a daring adventurer who believes in nothing except the priceless uncut stones for which he search ...more
Published October 13th 2009 by HarperCollins e-books (first published December 1st 1983)

To ask other readers questions about Lover in the Rough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lover in the Rough

Alexis-Morgan Roark
Apr 27, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, gems
I know it's an older book. I was prepared for that. I was not, however, prepared for the storyline and the way the characters developed. I just didn't like it. The dialogue was waaaay over the top and gave me the shudders.

It's obvious Ms. Lowell did her research, and I think all of it's within the pages of this book! Every gem-related metaphor one could imagine is inside. I don't like giving bad reviews, because...hey, they're published, and I'm not, but this is just not my cuppa, you know?

I thi
Darlis
Aug 11, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There was absolutely no plot here and we just got tired of all the simmering passion, blood throbbings, and his biceps like stone. Don't waste your time.
Lisa Ann Murphy
I thought this book was extremely sappy, and the reading of the book only exacerbated that feeling.
Kari
Jan 24, 2012 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook, 2012
I am a huge fan of Elizabeth Lowell. So far I have enjoyed most of her books. I think Lover in the Rough might be the exception. You can definitely tell that this is an early work. If I had to chose a word to describe it, that word would be cheesy. I couldn't help but giggle through this entire book. The subject matter, gems, serves as a metaphor for just about everything in the book. From the beauty of both Reba and Chance's eyes to the sunsets and desert. It is loaded with them!

Chance Walker,
SaturNalia
Reba is trying to get over the death of a beloved friend. While on a photoshoot in the desert she is accosted by overzealous suitor and Chance steps in to defend her honor. Chance is very primal and old school but gentle. He threw 'my woman' around a lot. Both characters have a lot of emotional baggage, and I would have liked to see them for through it more. Reba married very young, an older man her mother choose, and whom she did not love. Her mother was very controlling and their relationship ...more
Queen
Sep 15, 2009 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I think this must be my first romance novel, by accident. I bought the audiobook on sale for only $6. The metaphors in the book are fantastic. The author clearly knows gemstones and uses them to describe people, emotions, puns, etc. After awhile, though, it was over the top so that any imagery or analogy using diamonds or emeralds or turmaline (?) would cause my eyes to roll in the back of my head. It's like when a lady wears so much gold that it is gaudy and loses its value. ha! The meant-to-be ...more
Joni
Jan 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I love Elizabeth Lowell however this book was not my favorite. Reba was sad alone and had just lost her best friend. He only person who cared for her for who she was, not what she looked like or what she had. Along came Chance, rugged, handsome and protective,at least as far as Reba can see. The romance was a little over the top for me through most of the book,I wanted more story. The end picked up when Reba discovered Chance betrayed her. She reacted as I thought she should, which made me like ...more
Anita
Apr 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: romance
A good early romance from Elizabeth Lowell. I liked it. It is set in Death Valley, Beverly Hills and eastern San Diego County and is about Reba, who owns 1/2 of a mine. The other 1/2 belongs to a cousin in Austrila, with whom she has no contact. Reba's business is Objects d' Art, including rare gems and artifacts. Into Reba's life comes Chance, a stranger who knows a lot about Reba's mine, even though he has just met her. She is head over heals in love with someone she thints wants her, for her. ...more
Rosa Cline
I listened to the first of three CD's on this book and I just simply couldn't 'get into it' I like romance but I like it mixed with mystery, or Historical settings etc. This book just didn't grasp me although the reader did a great job with reading it. If I had finished it I may have given it a 3 star due to it being an okay book just not one I would read. But not saying someone that likes this genre wouldn't love this book.
Rosa Cline
Cindy
Jan 30, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the San Diego [California] back country prospecting for tourmaline - I really enjoyed it. Lots of talk about gems/mining/etc that I find interesting but others might not. One of her earlier works, it doesn't have the polish that her later books like the Donovans or Rarities, Ltd. do. Contemporary setting.
C K
Oct 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I believe the companion book to this is something like 'Song for a Raven' and both are excellent! This is an author that I have read a lot of and have added her books to my 'keeper' book shelf. Most I have read at least twice and some even more than that. Always in depth characters that anyone can identify with on some level.
Kristine
Jan 03, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Elizabeth Lowell does it again. Makes me believe in utter passion and soul mates. No major surprises or drama here, but a fine love story. Chance and Reba make a great couple. The only thing that sorta bugged me were the gymnastics references, seemed kinda pointless and as the mom of a former gymnast not sure they rang true. But overall a good story.
Karen
May 26, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Listened on audio in the car. Hadn't "read" a true romance in awhile. Reba Farrell owns Objects d'Art where she buys & sells art & gems in Beverly Hills. Her mentor has passed away leaving her 1/2 of a defunct Tourmaline mine in San Diego. While in Death Valley on a photo shoot, she meets Chance Walker, an adventuring miner who knows a lot about Reba's mine. Fine for entertainment...
Pam Terry
I did like Lover in the Rough, I though Chance was sweet and although he was very "rough" he was totally in love and I like that in my Heroes...As for the leading lady...she did not take any crap, I like that too...this book was entertaining....
Abby Fick
"Typical" romance which is not my typical kind of book (impossible scenarios, over-the-top flowery language a guy would NEVER say, etc.). Guess I'll stick with her later stuff which is good.
Jennifer Worry
This book was not so great. It was a very boring read. Everything and everyone were flat and predictable. I hope that not all of her books are this way.
Raďoušek
Mar 09, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Moc pěkné,taky bych to chtěla zažít :o))))
Diane
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A passionate romance between two strong characters set in Death Valley.
Wonderful romantic scenes with an inspiring conclusion.
Lisa
May 11, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fict-2-liked-ok
Pretty cliche. But I have to say her description of the cave-in still gives me the willies all these days later - truly well done and scary!
Lesley
Jan 23, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good story with a little different setting
PWRL
Apr 19, 2013
Patty
Jun 12, 2011
  • The Ruby
  • Border Storm (Border Trilogy I, #3)
  • Season of Wishes (Draycott Abbey #5)
  • Brides to Be
  • Secret Ways
  • Ladies' Man
  • To Taste the Wine
  • Family Man
  • Night, Sea And Stars
  • The Ravishing One (McClairen's Isle, #3)
  • House of Dreams
  • Happy Holidays (2-in-1)
  • Wrath of the Lion
  • To Catch A Countess (Douglas Trilogy, #3)
  • The Secrets of the Heart
  • The Indiscretion
  • Zeke (Devils on Horseback, #3)
19051
Individually and with co-author/husband Evan, Ann Maxwell has written over 60 novels and one work of non-fiction. There are 30 million copies of these books in print, as well as reprints in 30 foreign languages. Her novels range from science fiction to historical fiction, from romance to mystery. After working in contemporary and historical romance, she became an innovator in the genre of romantic ...more
More about Elizabeth Lowell...