Start by marking “Hawkeye & Mockingbird/Black Widow: Widowmaker” as Want to Read:
Hawkeye & Mockingbird/Black Widow: Widowmaker

Hawkeye & Mockingbird/Black Widow: Widowmaker

(Widowmaker #1-4)

Black Widow, Hawkeye, Mockingbird, Ronin = All-out espionage excitement! Across the globe and separated, Natasha, Clint and Bobbi are targeted by the deadly Ronin…whose true face has been revealed! What is this mystery man or woman’s endgame? What startling new place will it take our heroes? And which hero will be completely rocked by the shocking end?

Collecting:
Paperback, Trade, 136 pages
Published April 20th 2011 by Marvel

To ask other readers questions about Hawkeye & Mockingbird/Black Widow, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hawkeye & Mockingbird/Black Widow

Start your review of Hawkeye & Mockingbird/Black Widow: Widowmaker
Annie Boismenu
Mar 01, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Hawkeye is my favourite superhero. And Hawkeye and Mockingbird is one of my favourite fictional couple. I should have adored this.
The problem (aside from the way too revealing costumes of Black Widow, Mockingbird and Fantasma, but I'm used to sexist outfits in the superhero genre by now) is the lack of emotion. This comic is all plot and sarcastic remarks, without any real emotional connection between the characters. Sure, Hawkeye and Mockingbird get one panel looking at eachother with Bambi
Izza
May 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
2 stars | I like Hawkeye, love Bobbi and Natasha, but I knew a series about all three of them was just too good to be true. So glad I didn't have great expectations because this was meh at best. The plot was pretty simple and the illustrations were not my favourite (can we stop dressing female superheroes with "sexy"/revealing costumes, please?)
Sean
Oct 28, 2011 rated it did not like it
I really enjoyed the first couple of Hawkeye and Mockingbird series. Adding a character I love like Black Widow seemed like a no-brainer to me. Sadly what I read was a strange hodge-podge of unconnected storylines and obscure tangents. The fact that there were two sets of creators showed the lack of cohesion a good story needs. The characters all seemed like odd versions of themselves and no one shined. The villains were terribly lame and the “reveal” was beyond pointless to readers. Add the ...more
sage
Sep 25, 2013 rated it liked it
Natasha is GREAT, but everything else about this mini is nonsensical. Also, there is epic amounts of graphic violence against women, most of whom are nearly naked for no reason whatsoever. There's some lovely art mixed in, but over all this is a hot mess.

I'm splitting the difference with 3 stars, but that's arbitrary.
Pturingan
Oct 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics, superhero
Chad
Aug 04, 2016 rated it liked it
Hawkeye and Mockingbird return in an amped spy story. It turns out Hawkeye's Ronin alter-ego once belonged to a racist Japanese leader back in WWII and it's now coming back to haunt him. Mccann's got a great knowledge of Marvel's history and uses it to full effect.
⠀annie⠀✧*ೃ༄
Jun 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
real review: 3.5

this was good. i didn’t really have motivation to finish it but i liked it.
Chang
Aug 17, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: graphic-novel
Terrible. Or, if you're inured to the crap Marvel churns out, then maybe just "Meh."

The plot is (no need to avoid spoilers, as it makes no difference to the plot or characters) this: A super secret World War 2-era Japanese intelligence organization is mysteriously resurrected. Why, so the heroes can fight ninjas.

Their goals? Give the heroes a reason to fight and pose a lot--while doing a lot of posing themselves. Their stated goals is to distract the world by conducting assassinations against
47Time
Jul 23, 2019 rated it it was ok
This isnot a standalone story. There are too many references to past event to make it truly enjoyable. Still, the fight scenes are nice and the boss fightat the end is pretty impressive. The two creative teams complete each other well, but this is still just regularsuperhero stuff. I realise now that I've never been a fan of any of these characters.

A mysterious organization named the Dark Ocean Society is killing spies right and left right before peace talks between Russia and Japan. They are
Jen
This was a self-contained story revolving around Black Widow, Hawkeye, and Mockingbird (obvi).

Hawkeye and Mockingbird are said to be romantically linked, but currently having a spat. It might be that "work" is getting in their way.

I disliked some of the art, but I believe there were different artists working on it. At times BW's face and eye shapes were kind of. . . I don't know what I want to use to describe it. They were off and looked inhuman.

Why it helped with Endgame: Touched on Ronin;
Lisa
Sep 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the graphics, there was constant action and I love the characters that were included in this novel. I think that Mockingbird is one of my favorite characters, she has no super powers, just the ability to kick everyones butts. This had an interesting story to it as well. Then at the very end there was an old school short story with these characters. Normally I do not like this because it seems like cheating to take up space in a comic book but this one was fun to see how cheesy and silly ...more
Tyler
Nov 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
Blah, if Black Widow wasn't in this, I wouldn't have read it. She's great, and so is Bobby (probably my intro to her) but Hawkeye is just irritating. The story started interesting and then got convoluted and petered out at the end. Black Widow's big solution to save the day felt true to character, but it also felt rushed. I really did not like the art.
Frans Kempe
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it
Two stories of team-up between Hawkeye, Black Widow an Mockingbird. First one is about a new Ronin killing spies and the other is from the eighties.
Sebastian Song
Feb 18, 2018 rated it it was ok
Two writer collaborating. Two distinct styles. One train crash.
Craig
Aug 20, 2013 rated it liked it
This is a very, very, very odd book. It's a collection of a four-issue mini-series, with two different writer/artist teams, McCann/Lopez on the odd numbers and Swierczynski/Garcia on the even ones. I thought that the writing styles meshed quite well, but the art was quite different. I liked the Garcia work a lot more. The book also has a really bad cover; Hawkeye looks like an old church lady who's eaten some sour prunes while wearing dark velvet curtains and Widow looks like Raggedy Ann's cat ...more
Joshua Buhs
Feb 19, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics, crime
Clarifying.

So, I've been getting back into comic reading, slowly, after watching my daughter get into them the last few years, and her asking me all sorts of questions. I always liked Hawkeye and the Black Widow--the spy, criminal underworld genre of comics, even superhero books, has appealed to me more than the cosmic ones or the superheroes battling supervillains. But I hadn't read about either character since the early 1990s, when I gave up comics.

As it happens, this one kind of picks up from
Williesun
2.5 stars but not 3 stars because this is s a pretty weird collection, at least in my opinion. It features issues 1-4 of Widowmaker and then adds issues 14-16 of the Solo Avengers which has a vastly different style and a pretty dumb storyline in my opinion.

I liked the first part very much even though the four issues alternated between writers and graphics people and you can tell, especially with the character of Black Widow who does look quite different depending on who draws her. Given that
Writerlibrarian
End of the Hawkeye and Mockingbird's return arc with a dash of Black Widow.

You kinda need to read some of the prior Black Widow books Black Widow: The Name of the Rose (which is wonderful) ; Black Widow: Deadly Origin (which is less wonderful) and Black Widow: Kiss or Kill (which is also not so much wonderful). I would recommend reading Name of the Rose only.

The Black Widow parts are a lot more interesting. The whole Mockingbird and Black Widow having a target on their back was a bit sloppy but
Liana
Jan 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: comic-books
The truth is a comic book storyline about Natasha, Clint and Bobbi should be much more interesting and complex. The characters were much more powerful than the storyline and they basically carried the story; if I didn't already love the characters, all I would have gotten would be a dull story and a not-so-good representation of the characters.

I was not a huge fan of the art- even though I did love the dialogue and Clint's witty one-liners- but overall the art itself and the costumes were not my
Mayank Agarwal
Sep 02, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: comics
Liked the 4 issue mini series better then the initial Hawkeye & Mockingbird series. Everything is better be it the Art, Plot, Cast or Writing.With Black-Widow, Ronin, Russian Super Hero & Ninja in the mix there are plenty of fights.

The series start off great as it's easy to understand on whats happening right off the start. The espionage and action angle is compelling. Art is really good in the first issue but as we get to the second one, it changes dramatically.

The problem with the
Silas
Jun 24, 2014 rated it liked it
This was another espionage story, and relatively well done, if a little bit... odd. It bases around the identity of Ronin. Hawkeye took that alias during the Civil War, and the story revolves around him along with Black Widow and Mockingbird, who are both people with whom he has had relationships. Aside from a few one-liners, though, that doesn't really come up much. It's an interesting story, but doesn't really break new ground. We find out who Ronin is, and it is resolved at the end of the ...more
Shelley
Jun 02, 2015 rated it liked it
3.5? Here's where Hawkeye+Mockingbird and Black Widow (post Name of the Rose and Kiss and Tell) converge - spies are getting killed all over the world and Bobbi and Natasha are on the list, so the trio head off to figure out who's behind it and how to stop it. Decent enough spy action, some good character moments. The art was static and often made the characters look like they were in their 50s or 60s, though. (Also, there was a fixation on beheading, geez.) And God, Clint had bad hair. Fun, but ...more
Hillary Bennett
Jun 20, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: sci-fi, graphic-novel
sure i'm a sucker for archers. but you know, i love hawkeye, and it's always difficult to find stories where he's at least near the lead.

this was mostly about the black widow, but still fantastic.

one day i will find something solely about hawkeye with new graphics (as in jeph lobe and jim lee, and i will be SO happy.)
oh it'll happen. hawkeye will make a comeback. just you wait.

avengers and everything, it'll totally bring him back... please?
SA
Jun 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels, 2012
RIDICULOUS. Like, abjectly, so. But watching everyone banter is made of lols, and Black Widow's badassery prevails.

Sidebar: do you actually expect me to believe that Japanese ninja ultra-nationalists would follow a Caucasian Russian posing as Ronin? Really? Who thought that was a remotely plausible idea?

But it's pretty funny that Clint is penalized for adopting the Ronin nomme de guerre in the first place. As I said, lols.
Gayle Francis Moffet
The whole thing just read like a series of set pieces with no focus on character but a few good quips. And having Natasha and Bobbi played as though they have jealousy for the other over Clint was ridiculous, I don't care how low-level it was played. It was trite and stupid. Also, I don't know who Dominic Fortune is, and this mini gave me no reason to care, so why he was even around, I don't know.
Rosa
May 29, 2012 rated it liked it
I enjoyed this book a lot more then enjoyed the previous Hawkeye and Mockingbird book but I think that is b/c I had the background from the previous book in the series and b/c it included the Black Widow who I really love. Spies are being taken out and Mockingbird and Black Widow are on the list.
Lesley
Sep 22, 2012 rated it liked it
Alexandria
Aug 17, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
I'm a big WidowHawk shipper, though this collection did soften me up to the Mockingbird/Hawkeye pairing. It was fascinating to see the three of them interacting and trying to work together despite their shared history. It's not my favorite Hawkeye collection but it was entertaining all the same, and I love watching Natasha in action so it was nice to see her in another run.
lisa
Mar 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: library-books, 2013
i am a fan of anything that includes mocking clint, so this was a good book. the snarking and team dynamics were fun and the story really moved. i also really enjoyed the classic issues in the back, but i happen to find comics from the 80s hilarious, so.
Emelda
Jul 23, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: comics
This was far too much of a, "but it's your ex!" love escapade. But still, I enjoy learning more about a new (to me) lady superhero (Mockingbird) and seeing more Black Widow. I'm not even sure this counts as passing the Bechdel test (ok, it does, but I don't want to count it).

• Black Widow: The Name of the Rose
  • West Coast Avengers, Vol. 1: Best Coast
  • Black Widow: The Things They Say About Her
  • West Coast Avengers, Vol. 2: City of Evils
  • Hawkeye: Kate Bishop, Vol. 2: Masks
Jim McCann is an award-winning writer of comic books, television, and theatre. He worked on several films and music videos before he was accepted into the ABC Daytime Writer Development Program. During that time he wrote for the popular ABC daytime drama One Life to Live. Upon moving to New York, he found a position at Marvel Comics, where he remained for six years, working in publicity and PR.

He