Start by marking “Kiki de Montparnasse” as Want to Read:
Kiki de Montparnasse

Kiki de Montparnasse

3.86  ·  Rating details ·  2,085 Ratings  ·  160 Reviews
Kiki never do the same thing for three days in a row – never, never, never!”

Winner of Angouleme Festival's Essential Prix & RTL Grand Prix. In the bohemian and brilliant Montparnasse of the 1920s, Kiki escaped poverty to become one of the most charismatic figures of the avant-garde years between the wars. Partner to Man Ray, she would be immortalised by many artists. T
Published May 1st 2012 by Harry N. Abrams (first published 2007)

To ask other readers questions about Kiki de Montparnasse, please sign up.
Mia Kelita Try a library and if they dont have it, you can leave a booking. Of course you can also order it from on-line book shops like Book depository. ( I use…moreTry a library and if they don´t have it, you can leave a booking. Of course you can also order it from on-line book shops like Book depository. ( I use that. It´s great and quite cheap ). Hope you can get it somehow. I loved it.(less)

Seth T.
Jan 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
My wife, after reading Kiki de Montparnasse for something near a half hour, stopped and asked me: "Is this for real? Did men really just go up to women and offer them a few bucks to flash their boobs?" I assured her that it was and that it's the same today and it's not a big thing and everybody does it. I was not very convincing. Probably because I was as surprised as her. I knew the early twentieth century in Europe1 was a rambunctious time—what with the swift ideological, artistic, and moral p ...more
David Schaafsma
In 1979 I visited a Surrealism/Dada exhibit at the Chicago Museum of Contemporary Art and I was enthralled. Still remember it! After that I visited every similar exhibit I could see in the midwest and collected books on that and related subjects. Recently I attended yet another related exhibition. Shatter Rupture Break was a spring 2015 Chicago Art Institute exhibition that "examines modern art and the rapidly shifting conditions of modernity through the provocative lens of fragmentation." Artis ...more
Bert
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Montparnasse in the Twenties was fun-central, everywhere wine and surrealism and bottoms. I wish i was there now... Kiki was at the heart of it all, and this is a delightful, sad but fun graphic novel biography, full of key moments and little anecdotes from her life and times, and i thought it was quite lovely.
Dov Zeller
Where to even begin?

This book was hefty, and Kiki's life is contextualized in helpful and beautiful ways. And, I would have read a book twice as long.

Kiki is the affectionate name given to Alice Prin when she first starts modeling for artists just after WWI. Kiki was born into relative poverty in the French country-side, and raised, along with several cousins, by her mythically lovely maternal grandmother. She was removed around the age of twelve from her country home, a home and a landscape sh
Sam Quixote
Oct 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Alice Prin was born in 1901 into poverty in rural France. Raised by a loving grandmother along with several other bastards, her mother was in Paris chasing artists and the high life while her biological father was nowhere to be found, and when Alice turned 12 she was sent to Paris. Her high energy and natural beauty became too much for her carefree mother and after being caught modelling nude for a local painter, Alice was turned away by her mother and forced to make a living on the streets.

It’
Camille
Apr 04, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une magnifique reconstitution de la vie de Kiki de Montparnasse, en successions de fragments, classés selon les maisons qu'elle a habitées au cours de sa vie. C'est à la fois rafraîchissant et bouillonnant, joyeux et touchant. Un document épatant, où on retrouve encore tellement de thématiques contemporaines : conception de l'art, de la féminité, entre autres. J'ai parfois du mal à comprendre comment on peut aborder tant de problématiques dans quelques croquis et des petites bulles, mais pourtan ...more
Alicja
Feb 07, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Une biographie sous forme de roman graphique, quelle bonne idée ! J'ai adoré découvrir cette muse des années 20 dont je ne connaissais pas toute l'histoire. Les illustrations sont en noir et blanc mais j'ai trouvé qu'elles restituaient très bien l'ambiance de ces années folles.
Metin Yılmaz
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
Aslında sadece bir çizgi roman gözüyle bakmak yanlış. Çünkü bu çizgi roman, bizim ülkemizde anlaşılan çizgi roman anlayışından daha başka bir çizgi roman. Hayat hikayesi anlatılan Kiki'nin yanı sıra iki büyük dünya savaşı sırasında Fransa'ya bakıyoruz. O dönemde insanların yaşamlarına konuk oluyoruz. Ayrıca büyük yazarlar, büyük ressamlarla ve büyük fotoğrafçılarla karşılaşıyoruz. Her ne kadar o zamanlar daha büyük oldukları netleşmemiş olsa da.
Dediğim gibi sadece bir çizgi roman demek çok zor.
Léa
Une BD pleine de joie, de fête et d'amour pour raconter la vie de Kiki, reine de Montparnasse.

Catel et Bocquet font un formidable travail en retraçant les grandes étapes de la vie fambloyante de la belle Kiki. J'ai adoré retrouver les années folles et toutes les personnalités du Paris de l'époque.
Elizabeth A
Jan 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2015, graphix, non-fiction
This graphic biography introduced me to Kiki who "escaped poverty to become one of the most charismatic figures of the avant-garde years between the wars. Partner to Man Ray, she would be immortalized by many artists. The muse of a generation, she was one of the first emancipated women of the 20th century".

While I did not love the art in this book, I was fascinated by this woman, and her life. Since this book attempts to cover her entire life, it has to jump around a lot, and introduce us to lo
Amélie
Cette bédé-brique est un tourbillon de visages, de fêtes, de toiles, de liaisons amoureuses, de musique & d’après-midi en terrasse.

C’est étourdissant.

C’est surtout l’histoire d’Alice Prin, arrivée à Paris à l’adolescence & devenue dans les années 20 l’une des modèles les plus en demande de Montparnasse, chouchoutée par les artistes de l’avant-garde parisienne. Kiki, comme on la surnomme très vite, est haute en couleur, bruyante, parfois vulgaire mais toujours vivante, délicieusement heur
Page
Jun 28, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this graphic novel based on the life of Alice Prin, better known as Kiki of Montparnasse. She rose to fame as a model for a variety of artists, most famously perhaps Man Ray who took the photo of Kiki known as Ingre's Violin, as represented on the cover. She was a cabaret performer, muse, and artist in her own right and was well known for being at the heart of many-a-party and the breaker of many hearts.

The story can be read without any knowledge of the community of creative expatriates
Tate Ryan
This is the second 'longish' graphic novel i have read and I'm not sure i'm into them. However I give credit that at least KIKI is a charismatic character worth writing about I just wish it was done in a more a succinct way and with specialised artwork (maybe in colour) that conveyed her beauty and lively character while spending more time on her inner thoughts and why she acted the way she did rather that introducing us to every famous french artist she met. I wanted to know more about her than ...more
Monika Yulianti
Jul 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My first graphic novel! I finished this book within 12 hours, and I love it! The colourful life of Kiki de Montparnasse, a model, painter, artist, singer, actress, dancer, an entertainer onstage as well as offstage. She was a free spirit in the truest form. I also enjoyed the beautiful drawings and the details regarding France circa 1901-1953.
Suketus
Olipa kiinnostava elämäkerta-sarjis Montparnassen sotienvälisen ajan kuningattaresta, taiteilijoiden muusasta, Kikistä. Kun sarjisgenre on aika vieras, en osaa siihen verrata, mutta yksittäisenä lukukokemuksena hieno ja avartava. Etenkin, koska kirja kuvaa pääasiassa suosikkiaikakauttani 1920-lukua ja sen williä pariisilaista elämää.
Soobie can't sleep at night
Jan 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Soobie can't sleep at night by: Archivio Del Fumetto D'Alta Quota "Paolo Cossi"
Non avevo idea di chi fosse la regina di Montparnasse. Questo l'ho pescato dall'Archivio del Fumetto di Andreis. La copertina mi ha incuriosito e ho incominciato a leggere.

Premetto che non condivido il modo di vivere di Kiki, ma questo non mi ha impedito di provare una certa simpatia per lei. L'idea di andar a mostrar il seno per qualche spicciolo... Ma neanche... Però è innegabile il fascino che sprigiona la protagonista. E c'è anche un po' di invidia nei suoi confronti: è evidente che lei era
Mélanie
Aug 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comme toujours, jamais déçu du duo Catel & Bocquet. Encore une belle biographie de la sulfureuse et intrépide Kiki de Montparnasse dont je ne connaissais que partiellement la vie.
Qu'importe l'attrait pour le personnage où l'époque il est toujours intéressant de se plonger dans un Paris lointain, mais qui est encore si proche. Les moeurs de l'époque ont certes évolués mais on voit bien que les préjugés féminins perdurent à une échelle moindre, mais perdurent.
La narration est géniale, le des
Safronia
May 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Comme Josephine, cette BD est un petit bijou, et que dire de Kiki, quelle femme ! Un personnage que j'aurais aimé rencontrer...
Dioni (Bookie Mee)
Aug 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Mee's rating: 3.5/5

First published at: http://www.meexia.com/bookie/2016/09/...

This book tells the story of Alice Prin - who later was nicknamed Queen of Montparnasse and often known as Kiki de Montparnasse. She was a favorite model of many Parisian artists in the twenties. Hemingway wrote an introduction to her autobiography (one of the two books Hemingway ever agreed to write introduction for).

I read Kiki de Montparnasse not long after Habibi. That probably affected my reading a little, as I t
Karel-Willem Delrue
De setting is natuurlijk schitterend. Het Parijs van de jaren 20 spreekt tot ieders verbeelding. Het idee om een verhaal te vertellen vanuit het standpunt van Alice Prin (Kiki van Montparnasse) is in die context een schot in de roos: een sensuele vrouw komt in Parijs in contact met het toenmalige kruim van de kunstenwereld.
Maar Kiki laat heel wat kansen liggen. De tekenstijl is te jeugdig, de structuur te rechtlijnig, de overgangen te bruusk (te vaak betrapte ik mezelf erop de paginanummers te c
Tytti
A biography in the form of a graphic novel about a woman who almost defined the art scene and the night life of Paris and particularly Montparnasse during the 1920's. Of course I had never heard of her before but I had heard of many of the men in her life.

I am not a one who is interested in celebraties of today but when they "become history" I start to get interested, especially if they had a controversial or eventful life. Kiki liked to party and unfortunately that ended her life eventually.

Th
Ian Forsyth
Sad ending
Heather *Awkward Queen and Unicorn Twin*
I must not have been paying attention, because until I had the book in my hands, I had no idea it wasn't a traditional biography. I wanted to read it because it has to do with art and artists, and I am a former art major.

There was nothing in the pages to endear me to any of the characters, except perhaps Foujita. Kiki was rather annoying and childish. The artists came off as assholes or abusers, and the fact that they were artists is not an excuse in my mind. Also, this book did a lot to de-glam
Sonic
Aug 28, 2012 rated it really liked it
This huge biographic-comic takes us through a series of vignettes illustrating the life and times of Kiki, model, muse and party girl who in turn takes us on a tour of the roaring bohemian scene of Paris at the birth of Surrealism and Dadaism with her colorful cast of friends who just happen to be the great artists of that time!
This book had a breezy, frivolous feel to me at first, but the more I read, the more interested I became in this astounding and colorful character and that thriving art s
Angela Natividad
Jan 20, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The ending of this graphic novel includes that old legend about the benevolent stranger who walks by the blind beggar whose cup is empty. She picks up his sign, transforms it, and, as she walks off, the clinking of coin upon coin won't stop.

It was the first time I'd seen this story; since then, I've seen it in a thousand contexts (the worst is when they're used to illustrate the power of some iconic ad man). But Kiki was my first. I'd always much rather it be her.
J K
Jun 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
A glorious taster of Bohemian life in the 1920s. Simple style of art but very effective, it's more of a selection of vignettes that comprised KiKi's life, and it's also one of those books that makes you want to look up all the people mentioned in its pages - although I was impressed by the life stories of the srtists she was involved with, set out at the back of this book.
Carol
Apr 22, 2013 rated it it was ok
While I appreciate how graphic novels can tell a story in a unique way, that did not happen here. Better to stick with real photos and learn about Kiki from Billy Kluver and Julie Martin's "Kiki's Paris: Artists and Lovers 1900-1930."
Karine Mon coin lecture
J'hésite entre 3,5 et 4... C'est bien mais quand on ne connaît pas beaucoup le personnage au départ, c'est un peu longuet par moments!
Tyyne
The visual language was lovely, somehow very soft and comfortable. And the subject matter was really interesting!
Alison
Apparently for the bohemian, 1920s, Left Bank woman, showing your breasts to strangers worked as a kind of currency?
  • Epileptic 1 [L'Ascension du Haut Mal, 1-3]
  • Charley's War, Volume 1: 2 June – 1 August 1916 (Charley’s War, #1)
  • Working IX to V: Orgy Planners, Funeral Clowns, and Other Prized Professions of the Ancient World
  • Forget Sorrow: An Ancestral Tale
  • Revenge of the Mooncake Vixen
  • J'aurais adoré être ethnologue
  • Postcards from Tomorrow Square: Reports from China
  • The Cartoon History of the Universe III: From the Rise of Arabia to the Renaissance
  • Caesars' Wives: The Women Who Shaped the History of Rome
  • A Graphic Cosmogony
  • When David Lost His Voice
  • The Voyeurs
  • Munch
Pseudonym of Catherine Muller, who has also published as Catherine Muler, Cathy Muller, and Catel Muller.

Source: http://www.catel-m.com/Site-officiel-...

Catel Muller, diplômée des Arts décoratifs de Strasbourg, débute sa carrière en publiant des albums pour enfants aux éditions Hachette, Épigones, Nathan, Dupuis et Hatier. Une sélection au festival international du livre de jeunesse de Bologne et
More about Catel

• Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World
    $11.24 $1.99
  • Fall Down 7 Times Get Up 8: A Young Man's Voice from the Silence of Autism
    $13.99 $1.99
  • I Am Not Myself These Days (P.S.)
    $13.24 $1.99