Start by marking “Am I the Only Sane One Working Here?: 101 Solutions for Surviving Office Insanity” as Want to Read:

3.55  ·  Rating details ·  102 Ratings  ·  14 Reviews
." . . the most comprehensive guide I have ever read for solving any conceivable trying scenario!"
--Julie Jansen, bestselling author of You Want Me to Work with Who? and I Don't Know What I Want, but I Know It's Not This

You can't stop office madness, but you can stop the madness from getting to you.

Gossipy coworkers, unmanageable managers, and cranky clients have got you
Published August 23rd 2009 by McGraw-Hill Education (first published July 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Am I the Only Sane One Working Here?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Am I the Only Sane One Working Here?

Levent
Mar 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Best book I've read in a while. I would love to recommend it to anyone and everyone I know except for the unusual title. In fairness, it did sell me the book. The book is way better than my expectations and useful for anyone working in a corporate environment. (In fact, it would even be useful to people close to such people).
Definitely worth reading!
Kaishauna
Jun 07, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is an incredible book and should be mandatory reading for anyone going into the workforce!!! It's sarcastic, relevant, and dead on with what actually happens in the workplace. This book gives accurate scenarios, and extremely useful tips on how to deal with each circumstance and/or type of person you encounter. Incredibly useful read!!
stormhawk
Slightly different approach to those management and corporate problem-solving books. Identifies 101 different office dilemmas and what to do about that ... and what to do does not involve hanging up a picture of a sailboat with a motivation word under it.
Dorsch and Navarre Branch Libraries
Good Self Help Book – purchase own copy – and read through again and highlight!

Am I the only Sane One working Here : 101 solutions for surviving office insanity

10 Listening
---everyone has their own perceptions so will hear different things in the story
-why is she telling me this story
-what is the purpose behind the words
-does the person want something from me or want me to do something for them?

11 Motivation
Know what moves people
-recognize instinctual patters
---fight or flight
---dominance
---terr
Rick Conti
Wish I'd had this while I was working. Although it's dated--anything related to business or technology becomes antiquated within a couple of years of publication--there's lots of practical advice here for dealing with other people, sane or insane. I recognized myself in a few of these scenarios.
Friscomama
This is a great book about surviving and thriving in a dysfunctional institution, if you feel that you must. I was still processing my recent experience in such a place when I read this book. I was not looking for ways to play the game (can't beat 'em, join 'em, learn to hoard information and share it only with co-conspirators, lie if it helps you, focus on making yourself perceived as an ally of your boss, try to appear productive even when you are not . . .) because I could see how the "succes ...more
Candace
The chapters dealing with Worst Case scenarios was a bit weird. Having situations like, "I had an affair," seemed weird to me. Overall, there were some decent bits of advice. I didn't like the comments about appearance though, having green hair is like wearing your immaturity on your head? I didn't like that.
Salaryman63
A fun read-especially if you work in the crazy ward like I do. People in the office are strange. Lots of the insights are common sense and things you have seen, done, or read before but its a new spin on the emotional black hole that modern white collar work has become.
Anne
Nov 09, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: school
(had to read for school) - this book really attempts to be funny, sometimes it even succeeds. It was still interesting to read, hope the knowledge in this book proves to be useful in real life, because at this point I'm really not sure if it does.
Sandy Yang
Jan 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It's my first book written by Al Bernstein, and the first book worth-reading this year. I am going to make practising the survival solutions in the book my new year resolution.
Audrey
The title caught me since it often seems like i am the only sane one working. It gives a good perspective on what motivates people and how to use that understanding to deal with them.
Diane C.
May 22, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition

I like albert Bernstein's book and his emphasis on solutions for dealing with certain kinds of people. Humorous, frank and useful!
Dianna
Jul 27, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Catchy title for a book full of drivel.
Leanne
Jan 03, 2012
Susan
Jun 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • Working for You Isn't Working for Me: The Ultimate Guide to Managing Your Boss
  • Black Belt Librarians: Every Librarian's Real World Guide to a Safer Workplace
  • 800 Years of Women's Letters (Biography, Letters & Diaries)
  • The Christening Day Murder (Christine Bennett, #3)
  • African Queen: The Real Life of the Hottentot Venus
  • No More Meltdowns: Positive Strategies for Dealing with and Preventing Out-Of-Control Behavior
  • Emily Post's The Etiquette Advantage in Business: Personal Skills for Professional Success
  • The Personal Credibility Factor: How to Get It, Keep It, and Get It Back (If You've Lost It)
  • When We Were Saints
  • Unleashing the Power of Rubber Bands: Lessons in Non-Linear Leadership
  • The Dutch Shoe Mystery (Ellery Queen Detective, #3)
  • Trade-Off: Why Some Things Catch On, and Others Don't
  • Well-Offed in Vermont (Pret’ Near Perfect Mystery #1)
  • Knee High by the Fourth of July (Murder-by-Month Mystery #3)
  • Getting Organized in the Google Era: How to Get Stuff out of Your Head, Find It When You Need It, and Get It Done Right
  • The Alpine Betrayal (Emma Lord, #2)
  • The Boss of You: Everything A Woman Needs to Know to Start, Run, and Maintain Her Own Business
  • Ghosty Men: The Strange but True Story of the Collyer Brothers, New York's Greatest Hoarders: An Urban Historical

“Know the Impression You Want to Make. You know you’re great, but what, specifically, makes you great? Is it your competence? Your experience? Your creativity? Your diligence and responsibility? Your enthusiastic personality? Or is it all of the above? Whatever you have going for you, you will need to demonstrate those traits in the interview, not just mention them. You can’t do this by waiting for the interviewer to ask you if you are diligent and responsible. You will have to be diligent and responsible in preparing for the interview.” 1 likes