Start by marking “Never Trust a Thin Cook and Other Lessons from Italy's Culinary Capital” as Want to Read:
Never Trust a Thin Cook and Other Lessons from Italy's Culinary Capital

Never Trust a Thin Cook and Other Lessons from Italy's Culinary Capital

I simply want to live in the place with the best food in the world. This dream led Eric Dregni to Italy, first to Milan and eventually to a small, fog-covered town to the north: Modena, the birthplace of balsamic vinegar, Ferrari, and Luciano Pavarotti. Never Trust a Thin Cook is a classic American abroad tale, brimming with adventures both expected and unexpected, awkwar

Published (first published January 1st 2009)

Be the first to ask a question about Never Trust a Thin Cook and Other Lessons from Italy's Culinary Capital

Jan
Mar 24, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Cute! Makes me hungry.
Les Reynolds
Was interesting, but didn’t capture my imagination the way that great travel writing does.
Mindy
Mar 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author convinced his girlfriend to live abroad with him for 2 years. This enjoyable book with 47 short stories explains life in Italy. Very enjoyable.
Cathy
Dec 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. It was fun to read about Italy from a Minnesotan's view. The author & his girlfriend spent two years over in Modena and he wrote about his travels and all that he had learned. It was very funny stuff to read about and all of the things he needed to learn. He was known as a tourists but eventually people befriended him and sort of "let him off the hook" for being American. This book makes you hungry as well as you're reading it. The one thing I learned about Italia ...more
Kenneth
It was quite interesting... a little long, but definitely made me smile and burst out laughing (much to the dismay of my roommate)
It was cute, and had many interesting points on the nationalism and characteristics of the country. The nuances of our countries and our differences was particularly interesting. The food! oh, the food! how important it is to the culture and the lifestyle, just simply makes me wish I knew how to speak Italian, and could visit.
Kelly
Dec 20, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: food-writing
Read it because it's short and the publisher sent me a free copy. At first I thought, these are just anecdotes. But then I realized, great! these are anecdotes! It's an easy read with the author's standard sense of the absurd and obvious love of his characters. I laughed out loud, occasionally, on the bus.
Tammy
Jul 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Slow going with this one. There are a number of words in Italian with definitions in the back to look them up. I really liked this book. I will forever appreciate good (Italian)food and good wine from now on.
Vicki
Jan 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Funny and enjoyable to read -- but it's making me reconsider my fantasy decision to move to Italy to instead just frequenting a really good Italian restaurant.
R.A.
May 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining and also about food. Delicious.
Michelle
Insight into the quirks of living in Italy and more specifically Modena.

Felt disjointed.

Always good to support a local author.
Kitty
Aug 06, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, travel
This is a fun description of the author's two years in Modena, Italy, highlighting food and cultural differences. A good light read.
Kate Spear
Mar 25, 2010
Greg Daynes
Nov 09, 2016
« previous 1 3 next »
Eric Dregni has written nine books including Midwest Marvels, The Scooter Bible, Ads that Put America on Wheels, and Grazie a Dio non Sono Bolognese. As a 2004 Fulbright Fellow to the Norwegian University of Science and Technology in Trondheim, Eric researched Scandinavian culture and roots for a forthcoming book. His time is divided between Italy, Norway, and Minneapolis where he is the curator f ...more