Start by marking “The Motivation Breakthrough: 6 Secrets to Turning on the Tuned-Out Child” as Want to Read:
The Motivation Breakthrough: 6 Secrets to Turning on the Tuned-Out Child

The Motivation Breakthrough: 6 Secrets to Turning on the Tuned-Out Child

From the author of the groundbreaking Its So Much Work to Be Your Friend comes a new book that shows parents, teachers, coaches, and caregivers how to motivate any child to learn.
Published September 25th 2007 by Touchstone Books

To ask other readers questions about The Motivation Breakthrough, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Motivation Breakthrough

Start your review of The Motivation Breakthrough: 6 Secrets to Turning on the Tuned-Out Child
Danette
Feb 17, 2010 rated it really liked it
Richard Lavoie is very knowledgeable about teaching kids who have a learning disability. If you are a teacher and haven't seen his F.A.T City Workshop DVD, then you should. It will give you some new insight into what children with ADD, ADHD, and other learning disabilities go through in classrooms all over the country on a daily basis.

This particular book is just one part of the puzzle in reaching kids who have tuned out at school because they have become discouraged through their experiences wi
Ari
Mar 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is my student teaching semester, so I choose this book hoping for some hints on motivating some of my students. This particular book seems to emphasize special ed and elementary ed students, which meant nearly every suggestion had to be adapted in some way. But when Lavoie wrote in generalizations this book was very helpful. When I utilized his advice in my classroom, I definately noticed that some students who had been tuned out were more motivated. This was definately one of the more help ...more
Wendy
Jul 30, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: education
Richard Lavoie is one of my educational heroes. His level of empathy and understanding of students is unmatched, and it is refreshing to read a book with such a human viewpoint. We get so caught up in the minutia of daily lessons and grading that sometimes we forget about the bigger picture and all the other ways in which we can influence children. Lavoie reminds me that this is a privilege, and I should use it to its best advantage.
Kristy
Jun 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is an excellent source for those who are truly seeking to understand children and teach them effectively. The first 3/4 of the book was by far the most useful. Richard Lavoie organized it well, brought his thoughts to life with experiences from his own career, and wrote with an encouraging spirit that made me feel hopeful for those student with whom I work that just don't seem to love learning the way that I would like them to. The last quarter of the book is filled with the extra tidb ...more
Melanie
Feb 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
I'm only about half way through but so far, I'm not very impressed. The author makes some good points, but most of them are ideas by someone else that he's just re-presenting or common sense things such as: praising children, offering them choices, let them use the bathroom, provide a safe environment. At the risk of sounding like a junior high kid, "Duh!"
I'm holding out hope that there will be some more innovative content further on in this book however, because I really do want some new ideas
Nathan
May 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I know intellectually that I'm supposed to motivate kids to learn, but there's never been any clarity before. This wonderful book makes it clear what motivates different types of kids, and has a lot of practical suggestions. He recommends the things that I know have worked on my kids in the past, and I can't wait to apply the new ideas. Well written, very human and sympathetic to kids (but not ignorant of the frustrations and pitfalls facing the parent and teacher), this is a delightful book.
Chris Wejr
Jul 06, 2013 rated it really liked it
This book is definitely worth a read but I found some chapters much better than others. Lavoie's view of rewards is a bit confusing as he states over and over that they do not work... Yet her encourages them in some areas of the book. I enjoyed the narratives that Lavoie uses to share his message as there are many in which parents and educators can relate. Overall, I would recommend this book and key on the chapters that are relevant to you. Also, check out his YouTube videos as they share his m ...more
Vivien Naomi Lee
Jun 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
One of the greatest lessons I learnt here was this: “Success is the greatest motivator (repeated many times in the book).” As a teacher, I would love for my kids to succeed and go far in their adulthood. However, I realize that I don’t have to build them up to succeed only in their adulthood; I can help them see they are already succeeding and will continue to succeed. By the time they reach adulthood, they could all be really strong, independent and driven learners! I am excited to apply what I ...more
Elizabeth
Jun 22, 2008 rated it it was amazing
I love this book I learned so much from it. I actually had to read this book for a conference I am going to. He is going to be the speaker. This book and the theory are right on target. I am currently using his theory in a classroom at a school where each student is paired with one teacher. It is the only one on one school in the nation. The motivation ideas and techniques are very practical. I actually have been using them on other people as well. I am impressed.
Becky
Nov 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
I really liked this book. This should be required reading for every school teacher - but it is also very helpful for parents. I don't think the title of the book is very fitting, but oh-well. Great tools to use in working with children. There were a couple of points I didn't agree with, but I did end up buying the book so I could refer back to it.
Krisanne Stewart
Jan 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Oh my goodness. All middle school teachers should be required to read this book. It has changed what I think about kids who aren't motivated. They actually are motivated, just not in perhaps the way that we hope our students would be! Lavoie gives great tips on how to figure out your students, and also has a section to help parents motivate their children. Loved every minute of it!
Helen
Mar 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
This long book could have been half as long and much better if the author has addressed only teachers or only parents, but by trying to deal with both, the book was way too long. The idea of categorizing kids by what motivates them is a good idea, just like using a student's preferred method of learning. But I could have done without the rest.
Marjorie
Dec 29, 2012 rated it it was amazing
As the mother of an unmotivated, struggling, generally unhappy child, this book gave me a lot of hope. It was teeming with good strategies and I would recommend it to all who come in contact with students (parents, educators, admin, all else). I did get the impression it's geared more for early Ed.
Kevin Hall
Dec 31, 2013 rated it liked it
A solid text full of good reminders. Nothing struck me as earth-shattering, but I did find myself employing many of the concepts found in this book in my teaching. Therefore, a worthwhile read and a crash-course in teaching methodology that takes into account a more holistic approach to each unique child and situation.
Joneetha Pralou
May 20, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic book. Addresses how to engage children that are smart, and have tuned out for any variety of factors. A must-read for any parent. It's a book I'll keep, and refer to frequently through my child-rearing years.
Jacqueline
Jan 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
All teacher and parents need to read this, very quick and resourceful.
Rick Lavoie just tells you how it is and avoids all the over-commercialized crap that too many schools and teachers buy into too quickly, and abandon shortly thereafter.
Ken Mackinnon
Dec 19, 2013 rated it liked it
The most valuable part of this book was the individual chapters about different types of student personalities and motivation tips that work. Other than that, it seemed at times that the author's personal examples were merely made up to fill space.
Katrina Dreamer
Feb 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: education
I found a lot that I agree with in Lavoie's book and I plan to implement many of his strategies with my coaching and tutoring clients. I am going to keep the book around as part of my go-to for advice when I feel stuck with a student.
Ginnie
Mar 08, 2008 rated it liked it
Excellent information - just beginning
Donna
Apr 29, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Rick Lavoie is a genius
Tracy Bailey
great book about reaching reluctant learners
Cari
Oct 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I would recommend this to everyone. I can't wait to get my own copy and read it again.
Brigitt
Oct 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
If you are a teacher or have children, this is a book that you will want to read - and re-read. Thought it was quite interesting.
Kerri
Dec 15, 2012 rated it really liked it
Great book. It is helpful for parents and educators. I have passed it on to other teachers at the school I work at.
Denise
Jun 25, 2013 rated it liked it
You know when something makes you think, but then at the same time seems like it should have been obvious all along? It's like that. Good one.
Karen
Aug 20, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very informative. Most should attempt to read/browse through this book and pick up ideas/actions. "We do our best work when we compete against ourselves - not against others." pg 15
Gary
Feb 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I want to learn to think like lavoie.
Royanne Mason
Really helped me understand my 5th grade Grandson who is ADHD
Arlene S
Jan 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Target audience is the classroom teacher - but appplicable to parenting.
Clare D
Sep 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
I loved the first half of the book for my work as an aid in a grade school. The second half would be fabulous for a teacher or special ed teacher!

• Caught in Time (Kendra Donovan, #3)
  • You've Been Volunteered: A Class Mom Novel
  • Look Me in the Eye: My Life with Asperger's
  • Time After Time
  • Bite the Biscuit (Barkery & Biscuits Mystery, #1)
  • Twenty-one Truths About Love
  • Engaged in Death (Wedding Planner Mystery #1)
  • Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)
  • Betrayal in Time (Kendra Donovan, #4)
  • A Twist in Time (Kendra Donovan, #2)
  • Bowled Over (Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #2)
  • Why We Can't Sleep: Women's New Midlife Crisis
  • Split-Level
  • This Reminds Me of Us (St. Caroline Series, #4)
  • Rotten to the Core (Orchard, #2)
  • Allergic to Death (A Gourmet De-Lite Mystery, #1)
  • Freezer I'll Shoot (Vintage Kitchen Mystery, #3)
  • Cookies and Clairvoyance (Magical Bakery Mystery #8)
Rick Lavoie is a consultant on learning disabilities.