Start by marking “The Marriage of Silence and Sin” as Want to Read:
The Marriage of Silence and Sin

The Marriage of Silence and Sin

The Marriage of Silence and Sin takes readers on an electric ride from the sleepy banks of the Ohio to Ciudad Juarez, unfolding a grisly mystery. Dicey Carmichael, a quirky British literature professor, is faced with the alleged suicide of a friend and former student. Convinced the death was a tragedy much more sinister, Dicey draws her best friend, Gale Knightly, an ...more
Published January 19th 2011 by Literary Legends LLC

To ask other readers questions about The Marriage of Silence and Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Marriage of Silence and Sin

Start your review of The Marriage of Silence and Sin
Deborah
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I received this as a First Reads giveaway, and finished the entire book during one good day of reading. I was immediately drawn into the story, and was fascinated by it all the way through. Lyon wove all the threads of the Art and Literature of the Romantic Period along with mystery, intrigue, terror, and humor into a well-crafted tapestry that delighted and entranced me as a reader.

While exploring the subjects of incest, rape, murder, and human trafficking, the book could have been dark and
Tamara
Apr 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: first-reads
I received my copy from Goodreads. I found both the story and characters riveting. The style reminds me of Jodi Piccoult (whom I enjoy greatly), but with literary references which I found very thought provoking. I would have finished the book in one setting as I couldn't get enough of the story. I am looking forward to reading the author's subsequent writings.
GreatBard
May 01, 2011 rated it it was amazing
The Marriage of Silence and Sin is one of the best books I've read in a long time. The characters are unbelievably authentic and the dialogue is palpable. The writer explores some very dark themes but not for shock and sensationalizing. The novel is purposeful and expertly crafted. From a man's perspective, you can learn and understand how women think and interact with each other. Excellent read.
Marilyn
Apr 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-read-gaw
I am so excited! I won a drawing for a free book!

I really enjoyed the way the characters stories were woven together in this book. The way that Elle was able to express herself with no voice was amazing to me. Thank you!
Javier
Oct 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly enjoyed The Marriage of Silence and Sin. When I read the first few chapters, I was fairly surprised by some of the dark themes, but by then, I was hooked. I finished the book in two sittings, and the characters remain in my mind. Jacki Lyon's dialogue is engaging and believable. The way she integrates art and literature is fascinating, as well. I would recommend the book.
Moody
May 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading the book, I was shocked at some of the themes. But, then I kept reading, and it was unbelievable. I couldn't put it down. Stayed in on a Saturday night to finish the book. This is a great book for anyone who likes pscyhological thrillers. Highly recommended!
Tarryn Aldana
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved the suspense between the three women in this book and how they all came to be connected - was an enjoyable read
Tracy
Jun 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Disturbing but fascinating storyline. Love the literary references throughout.
Kristen
Aug 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
I have mixed feelings about Jacqueline Lyon's debut novel. On the one hand, it's everything other reviewers have said—it's a fast-paced mystery/thriller that brings in literary references not usually found in the genre. That's fun.

In fact, the last part of the book is an absolute page-turner. I'm not going to include any spoilers, but there is a crescendo of action and suspense. The title is perfect for the book's subject, leaving me meditating on the long and necessary marriage of silence and
Lydia
Jun 15, 2012 rated it it was ok
After reading mixed reviews on this one I decided to see for myself. This book was recommended to me from amazon. As a picoult and stieg larsson fan, which the review refers to as similar reads, they thought I would enjoy this. Well, I did not enjoy this novel. It's a sick tale about incest and murder with a boring and rather confusing plot. The characters were silly to me and the whole story felt forced. It seemed like it was written more for shock value than actual literary enjoyment. It was ...more
Lori
Aug 14, 2011 rated it it was ok
This is a book I won in a Goodreads giveaway. I liked the story, but I felt it was so comprehensive a tale that it needed a master writer and while Ms. Lyon is not a terrible writer she is not that blend of good writer and good storyteller that constitutes in my opinion a good writer and this story was too broad for her skills.

That said, and despite the story being melodramatic rather than dramatic and more soap opera than opera, I liked it to an extent.

I thought the dialogue was wooden and
P
Aug 31, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: first-reads
This was a GoodReads Giveaway. I enjoyed the plot; I found it compelling. Naturally, the literature professor is my favorite character, but this book is full of interesting, complex characters. There is a neat backdrop of Romanticism that runs throughout the novel and I really enjoyed that. In my AP class, we have spent quite a bit of time discussing the relationship between Art and Truth; this book addresses that idea very poignantly. The artist's "truth" is expressed in his/her art, whatever ...more
Kathy
Jul 26, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a really good book! It was the winner of the SILVER MEDAL for the 2011 Independent Publisher Book Awards for mystery/suspense/thriller. It definatly deserves it. The story is about three 30-something women (a lawyer, a british lit professor, and an artist) who have a quirky friendship and their lives. There's so much going on in the book it's hard to put down.
Kelsee
Feb 22, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the way the book opened... A conversation between two friends! Everybody appreciates having a friend you can confide in, and the novel was a good reminder of that! I really enjoyed when the book touched on local aspects of Cincinnati!!
Shannon Baas
Mar 30, 2011 rated it liked it
This is a weird book, but interesting. It is about Gale, Dicey, and Elle. It describes their relationships and the dangers they go through with men. I am not sure if I would recommend this or not.
Margo
May 16, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Just finished The Marriage of Silence and Sin. It was the best book I think I have ever read. The story has some strong themes, but it is outstanding.
Phyllis
Dec 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
Very slick -- amazing how she did a thorough character development and never has that character speak one word. Great story on a very difficult topic. Can't wait for another book by this author.
Stefanie
luz rodriguez
Dec 29, 2014
Colleen
Aug 10, 2011

• Waiting for Tom Hanks (Waiting for Tom Hanks, #1)
  • 99 Percent Mine
  • Everybody, Always: Becoming Love in a World Full of Setbacks and Difficult People
  • The Last Book Party
  • Meet Cute
Jacki Lyon won the Independent Publishers’ Book Award Silver Medal for her first novel, The Marriage of Silence and Sin. She is also a published poet who teaches writing and literary courses at Xavier University. Jacki lives in Cincinnati, Ohio with her husband, Michael, and her two daughters.